Thai girl I met thinks all farangs are from Europe.

bkktrapper

Obama thought he visited "57 of the 58" Unites States while campaigning to be the President of the 50 United States of America. I bet he wonders where the 8 extras went now? I give your Thai bird a pass. Not B.O.

Edited by csabo

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trivia for today;-

From the 1956 movie "The King and I" (maybe was not allowed into Siam way back then), the son of the then King was quite indignant when the map of the world was shown by their new teacher Anna from England.

He couldn't believe Siam was so small.

'Twas only from a make-believe story anyway called; "Anna and the King".

It's not a 'make believe' story - it's based on the life of a real person.

Who is widely believed to have made most of it up...

Obama thought he visited "57 of the 58" Unites States while campaigning to be the President of the 50 United States of America. I bet he wonders where the 8 extras went now? I give your Thai bird a pass. Not B.O.

It was a brain fart which he quickly acknowledged. Get over it.

I do not think that Thai children are ever shown a map while they are in school. Based on my experience trying to give directions to Thais, or get directions from them, they seem to have a problem connecting the abstraction of "location" to roads and intersections or even 7-11 stores. My wife, who is pretty smart, does not trust maps and gets very anxious when we have to go somewhere that we have not been before.

I also believe that the issue is connected to the looming loss of face. It seems that Thais really do not like to ask a stock clerk in a store where something is located. I noticed this years ago and I started asking why this was the case. Finally, a friend of my wife told me that a person of higher status is suppose to already know where something is and asking a clerk is just not done. Of course, this phenomenon is not unique to Thailand as it is also the case in the U.S. where it is widely believed that men will not stop and ask for directions. I don't think there are any gender differences in Thailand.

I had the same thing in the Philippines. All the girls i met there,spoke with very strong pseudo American accent's.They were convinced every thing was American.Even Rod Stewart was American. They had no idea where the,UK was,or that it even existed.

But i do remember a funny thing on Walking street,years ago

a Thai guy was walking around and approaching any ferang looking people,telling them he could say hello to them in their own language,any language.he approached a couple and told them this.He asked them where they came from,and they told him "Austria" his answer was...G'day mate.

KKD

Australians do originate from Europe, well the felangs ones do , She wasnt completely wrong, maybe she meant Caucasians, instead of Europeans .

Im not sure why you felt the need to post this exchange on here , maybe slyly advertising a dating website?

From Europe? Criminals I thought Australia was a former penal colony and the inmates took over the asylum.

Took mrs to NZ she wanted to go. At the visa place in Bkk I asked her to point it out on the map on the wall- no idea at all. At least the girl in the OP had heard of Europe

A couple of years ago I went with my wife to the VFS Spanish office to get a Schengen visa for my wife to go to Tenerife.

The first problem we ran into was that the girl behind the counter could not find Tenerife on the map of Spain. She had a map of Spain that had been stuck to a piece of board but it did not include any of the Spanish islands. The supervisor was just as bad and they had to phone the Spanish embassy to find out if Tenerife came under their office.

Trivia for today;-

From the 1956 movie "The King and I" (maybe was not allowed into Siam way back then), the son of the then King was quite indignant when the map of the world was shown by their new teacher Anna from England.

He couldn't believe Siam was so small.

'Twas only from a make-believe story anyway called; "Anna and the King".

Based on the diaries of Anna Leonowens.

She became well-known with the publication of her memoirs, beginning with The English Governess at the Siamese Court (1870), which chronicled her experiences in Siam(modern Thailand), as teacher to the children of the Siamese King Mongkut.

Edited by sandyf

Apparently,Anna Leonbowens was a fraud.I read an article about her some years ago.her name wasn't even leonbowens.She told everybody that her husband died a hero.His name was leon Bowens and she took the name and changed it to suit herself.Her husband was,in fact in administration,he paid the army's wages.Also she had another child,a girl,who she deserted to come to Siam,to take up the post of governess to the royal children.I understood that the Thais were so up in arms about the story of their monarch falling in love with a western woman,that they totally denied that it ever happened. I was also lead to believe that you couldn't own a book,video,or any literature about the event.It was treated as lest magest and it was a prison offence.As far as i know people weren't even allowed to speak about it.They tried to erase it from history.As far as i know,the law on this hasn't changed.

I would like to believe it has.

KKD

Australians are ashamed of the truth they come to the worst and most brutal rabble who were deported from Europe.

Australians who can trace their roots back to the earliest arrivals are very proud of the fact and they are in a tiny minority of the population

l once knew a toffynosed rich woman who claimed descent from the first fleet, but she informed me that "of course her family were descended from the guards & not the convicts" lol!

Australians are ashamed of the truth they come to the worst and most brutal rabble who were deported from Europe.

I know this is off topic but it requires a rebuttal.

I hardly think that stealing a loaf of bread or a handkerchief would put you in the 'worst and most brutal rabble' category of criminal. But it was enough to get you transported.

I think you need to do a bit more research...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1454940640.753277.jpg

Actually the British must be smarter than us & its all in the Genes.

Afterall they are descended from the ones who DIDN'T get caught,

Whereas our ancestors WERE caught. lol!

she is wrong ... only the best farangs are from Europe biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Or is it the arrogant ones ? 555

Or funny ones ....

Come on guys, everyone thinks/thought that his home country is the best or at least better than some other.

I had the same thing in the Philippines. All the girls i met there,spoke with very strong pseudo American accent's.They were convinced every thing was American.Even Rod Stewart was American. They had no idea where the,UK was,or that it even existed.

But i do remember a funny thing on Walking street,years ago

a Thai guy was walking around and approaching any ferang looking people,telling them he could say hello to them in their own language,any language.he approached a couple and told them this.He asked them where they came from,and they told him "Austria" his answer was...G'day mate.

KKD

l quite agree, having lived in the Philippines.

We went to a picture theatre one night & Zulu with Michael Caine was playing.

My inlaws were full of admiration how the brave "American" soldiers defeated the Zulus.

For some reason they didn't like Black People.

When l tried to explain, some didn't believe me & the others were just confused.

When l told them that it was the Zulu's land, that confused them even more.

So l just gave up.

What I'm getting out of this is many people in the world today aren't well schooled.I was watching the night show with Jay Leno.

He had A segment called Jay Walking.He would ask college kids questions like,who is the Vice President of the US.Most of them

Didn't know.This is A sad world.

Whilst looking for plane fares to Australia for myself and wife years ago I told her I had found prices ranging from $600 to $1200. Her reply "$1200 for plane, $600 for bus". She knows better now.

And after 32 years I stll have trouble locating Wongchumpu on a map.

Are you sure she was Thai? Sounds like a typical American;)

Yeah, those dumb Americans; just wonder how they became the greatest economic, military, political, scientific, entertainment, and living standard nation on earth.

Yes, fond memories of what once was.

Not talking about the UK; do some research, the US is still holding on.

So you're parsing Obama's speech, you must have really had a ball with Bush. I think it's obvious he meant 47--with one left to go and his staff wouldn't let him go to Alaska and Hawaii. For all his faults, Obama is not stupid, unlike so many others.

I think it is fair to say that geography is not normally a strong point!

bkktrapper is a "Thai" troller (baiter) on the forum, posing as an Australian farang.coffee1.gif

An interesting accusation. What makes you think that?

Just do a search on "content" in his profile. Over half of the topics he starts get closed down by moderators for being "troll posts". I think that's a pretty good indicator.

I think it is fair to say that geography is not normally a strong point!

bkktrapper is a "Thai" troller (baiter) on the forum, posing as an Australian farang.coffee1.gif

An interesting accusation. What makes you think that?

Just do a search on "content" in his profile. Over half of the topics he starts get closed down by moderators for being "troll posts". I think that's a pretty good indicator.

I was referring more to the idea that he's a Thai posing as an Australian.