Selling bike / transferring registration motorbike

Kenny202

Had a farang look at my bike today and possibly wants to buy it subject to inspection. Blue book in my name (In Thai) Just wondering if we both have to go to the transport department together or like back home there is a form I sign my part, he signs his part, takes the bike he takes care of the transport department transfer himself. The money I'm getting for the bike is probably not enough for me to suffer sitting in the department of transport most of the day :-(

The sale will be from me to another farang so maybe that will require my presence?

Is there a website I can download the transfer form?

We're going to Khon Kaen Kawasaki in the morning for them to check the bike.

Is it possible they could take care of the transfer?

Would prefer advice from those with vehicle transfer experience please.

Buyer pays .. You need to be aware, that if the buyer comes from a different province or district within the province then the whole process needs to be done at his local office, not yours.

Certificate of residence isn't needed to sell a bike. There are plenty of posts here stating this.

I hear you, a transfer is a ball ache at busier DLT offices.

If you yourself, go alone ( get some copies of green book and your passport ) to the first counter at DLT and explain to them you are selling a bike, even explain you don't want to spend all day there, they will give you the transfer forms, explain where you need to sign, etc. so there is no comeback to you.

This will take 5-10 minutes. I have done it a few times myself.

When the seller pays up, hand over the documents and completed paperwork - then it's up to him to do the time consuming transfer, the VIN number check, etc.

Edited by recom273

The bike is registered in another province now (Chaiyaphum?. I will be doing the tfer at khon kaen office. I was told reg transfer can be done at any office irrespective of province now

Ahh hang on, your right .. 10 months back, to transfer a bike from outside my province I had to go to the provincial office not my local, more convenient office, sorry.

Anyway, point being - you don't want to waste your time in a DLT with the purchaser while he runs about, changing the name,provinces, queuing, getting the checks done, buying stamps and making plates. Right ?

Just go to the closest DLT to you - let them complete, put some x's where you need to sign and check the transfer application.

Some wouldn't even go that far - just sign the book, copy your passport, sign that and hand it all over.

BTW yeah, don't give him the blue book, that's either your tabian baan or your car registration book - bikes are green.

I meant green book. So the bikes registered in Chaiyaphum province. He lives in Khon kaen and we'll be doing the tfer Khon kaen office. Will that be ok or do I have to go to Chaiyaphum?

It's me, I'm confusing you by confusing myself.

Nope, Chaiyaphum is out of the picture, you do it in the provincial HQ of his province.

As he's moving provinces, he will probably need to change plates and with that he needs to change his tax disc over to the new reg too. I found this to be a little expensive, so make a move out the door before they start adding the charges on.

Every bike I bought I got it with the book and the form signed by the previous owner, plus their proof of ID. Some people say that you should only buy a bike if you've got the book in your name, but realistically who's going to put the bike in the new owner's name before getting the cash? (And in addition if a bike is rare or in demand and there are other buyers waiting, you'll simply lose out) So my advice is to provide the ID to the owner and sign the form and leave him to it. As you say, how much trouble is it worth to go to the DLT yourself etc?

(On the subject of moving a bike to a different province when I tried in Bangkok at Bang Chak to get a new Bangkok plate for a Hua Hin bike I was told I had to go to the head office at Chatuchak. Then I had to visit once, do paperwork and inspection, then go back a few days later to get the plate. No big hassle, but you can move a bike to a different province.)

I repeat, you will both buyer and seller need residence certificates

The OP says the name in book is Thai. Thia's do not need residence certs.

No he says his name is in thai, (i have green bike books in my name in thai and I am farang)

and goes on to say

The sale will be from me to another farang so maybe that will require my presence?

It is or was farang to farang (he changed his mind). But you can't say for certain both will need a residence cert. Buyer definitely does. These requirements definitely depend on the office and more importantly the individual your dealing with. I've experienced this first hand

This old chestnut again !!!! can't someone make it a sticky topic.

The seller doesn't have to go to the DLT (department of land transportation) as long as they give the buyer a

signed "power of attorney" form along with the other documents required.

Let the buyer deal with all the rest ( or easier for them to get an agent do it for them )

Often they will send you to the Main DLT for the province smaller satellite offices won't do it.

Tax has to be up to date before change of name, if bike is older than 5 years then it will require "certificate of roadworthynes"

before being able to pay tax.

In any case the DLT wants to inspect the VIN numbers on chassis and engine so bike has to go to them ( agents might be able to get round this)

Give the buyer a signed receipt and copy for yourself to show that from then on the bike is no longer your responsibility.

Residence certificate, yellow book or work permit seems to depend upon province if its needed or not Pattaya does require residence certificate there have been reports of yellow book being refused at Pattaya.

Seller should sign the green book but its often not required.

If the bike registration plates are from another province and you don't want to travel to that province to change ownership

then you will have to "move" the bike to your "home" province then do the change of name and then get new number plates

not normally a 1 day affair.

post-2109-0-46074900-1410859215_thumb.pn
post-2109-0-80474100-1410859204_thumb.pn
post-2109-0-53891600-1408537664_thumb.jp
post-2109-0-91803800-1404879796_thumb.jp
post-2109-0-73546100-1404879489_thumb.jp
Edited by johng

I repeat, you will both buyer and seller need residence certificates

The OP says the name in book is Thai. Thia's do not need residence certs.

No he says his name is in thai, (i have green bike books in my name in thai and I am farang)

and goes on to say

Interesting. It was my understanding the name in the book is the same as what is on the ID provided.

To be clear....the green book is in my name as the owner, but my name and details in the green book are printed in Thai. On my pick up blue book my name is printed in English. One of those Thai things I guess...up to them. I don't read or write Thai but my missus says every English letter has a Thai letter equivalent. Not sure if that's true or not

To be clear....the green book is in my name as the owner, but my name and details in the green book are printed in Thai. On my pick up blue book my name is printed in English. One of those Thai things I guess...up to them. I don't read or write Thai but my missus says every English letter has a Thai letter equivalent. Not sure if that's true or not

That's really strange to have your name in Thai, no, every roman character doesn't have an official Thai equivalent , it's down to discretion of the person doing the translation, which is why I have 100 students called Most, Golf, Gem and Ball who's name is spelt, Moss, Gop, Jame and Bon because whoever translated ( government official / school admin / teacher ) couldn't spell.