Matchday ticket prices & fans protests

Bredbury Blue

Well done Liverpool fans for taking the latest step in fans protests against over priced matchday tickets.

In recent seasons, off the top of my head, City fans protested/boycotted the 2013 Arsenal away game and Bayern staged a protest at Arsenal this season (mass walk in to the game late). Not picking out Arsenal here as all clubs are over pricing tickets but i believe Arsenal's are the most expensive.

On our annual trip home in 3 recent seasons I've taken my wife and 2 boys to a City game, got tickets right at the back of the Colin Bell Stand (it's the touchline stand where the main cameras are) - great view of the game and the Pennines - and from memory it's cost me 154 quid a game...UN BLOODY BElIEVABLE! How my brothers and my nephews continue to buy season tickets and go home and away including European trips bemuses me.

If I was resident in the UK and not an armchair supporter in Thailand I'm not sure what I'd do. I guess I'd do as my youngest brother does, who only goes with his son to the games when City heavily discount adult or kids tickets. I'd like to think I'd go and watch the occasional Stockport County or Hyde game.

So what will happen next?

I'd like to think that the supporters of the various clubs in the different divisions sort out a joint agenda to protest until the clubs, FA, Leagues, etc, agree a way to chop prices right down to something acceptable to fans [i've been away too long to know what would be acceptable and comparable to other forms of uk entertainment - 20 to 30 quid???].

What do reckon? Can you see it happening?

Not picking out Arsenal here as all clubs are over pricing tickets but i believe Arsenal's are the most expensive.

Apparently Arsenal price their tickets for the silent majority biggrin.png

The following teams' cheapest tickets are more expensive than ours...

Chelsea

Man City

Liverpool

Tottenham

Merchandise Utd.

So once again, selective nonsense really.

A sensible solution doesn't appear to be too close when this reasonable proposal recently failed to receive sufficient backing:

A plan to cap the ticket price for away fans at £30 next season has been blocked after the Premier League’s biggest clubs voted against the scheme.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6910739/Premier-Leagues-big-clubs-block-away-ticket-price-cap-plan-despite-record-TV-rights-deal.html

Greedy B's.

FSG & various LFC reps and supporters groups are in talks today to resolve the current situation.Prolly see an increase to £90 thenfacepalm.gif

It does work.

The Arsenal season tickets include (I think) 7 cup games. They sent out an email saying that there would be a surcharge for the Barca game because it wasn't in the 7 but so many fans complained that they've withdrawn it.

(And by the way, if we don't get 7 cup games - which is rare - they credit next year's season ticket).

Question to everybody:

What do reckon is a fair price for a matchday ticket (regardless of competition or opponents) for Football League club?

Adult price =

Kid price =

adult - £30.

kid - half that.

it's an hour and a half and you very often don't even enjoy it.

no. it's absolutely not that simple.

Unfortunately when players are earning 200K a week plus, someone has to pay for it.

Like any other business, they charge what they can get away with.

It's a shame, but that's the truth.

£130m went to agents last year. gordon recently gave himself a £2.2m pay rise. there's so much money in the game it stinks and yet it's only ever the fans who are asked to put their hands in their pockets. the supposedly famous atmospheres that the premier league hawks itself around the globe on the back of will simply die out and not be there if this keeps up. so enough is enough. the new tv money windfall is a chance for the clubs to give something back to the fans or risk losing them forever. and if any player complains about clubs shaving some money off the cost of a match ticket meaning they've not had a pay rise, then sell the pricks. because you shouldn't want moral vacuums like that wearing your shirt anyway.

no. it's absolutely not that simple.

Unfortunately when players are earning 200K a week plus, someone has to pay for it.

Like any other business, they charge what they can get away with.

It's a shame, but that's the truth.

It is a shame and that is the truth, but should fans continue to accept it or say enough is enough WE"RE going to change it? I think the latter, and the fans combined could make the clubs reduce their prices.

Does football need the matchday fans or could it survive without them? I think the former.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

It's all about supply and demand at the top clubs. Foreign owners want to cash in on those who attend once or twice a season and pay top whack and also spend another shed load in the club shops. A season ticket is a discounted ticket; valuable to the club during close season when no gate revenue is coming in, but less so as TV rights deals get bigger & bigger. Apart from Bayern Munich, German clubs can't attract & keep the top players. Same applies to their managers - Klopp & Guardiola. No money, no honey.

It's all about supply and demand at the top clubs. Foreign owners want to cash in on those who attend once or twice a season and pay top whack and also spend another shed load in the club shops. A season ticket is a discounted ticket; valuable to the club during close season when no gate revenue is coming in, but less so as TV rights deals get bigger & bigger. Apart from Bayern Munich, German clubs can't attract & keep the top players. Same applies to their managers - Klopp & Guardiola. No money, no honey.

I had one mate who ran one of the spread betting companies.

He had a pair of season tickets for every single Premier League club to use as incentives for high rollers.

I'm pretty certain not all of those seats got used, but it was worth it to him to have them.

I dread to think how many London corporates have lots of seats to give away.

We also do seem to have more than our fair share of "money brokers" and the like, well paid chavs who think paying 100 quid for a ticket because they think that the free warm piss in a plastic cup is a good idea.

I don't mind them as they are segregated in their own area and only watch about an hour of the game.

Edited by Chicog

More on the season tickets. Although we have the most expensive one, it is for 26 games, not 19.

So.....

Arsenal topped the table for most expensive commonly-paid season ticket price for adults (£1,014 for 26 games), but their price per game of £39 was less than Liverpool (£45.74), Tottenham (£41.90) and Chelsea (£39.47).

Well what do you know.

biggrin.png