Thai Men And Buddhist Values

Karlo

Most young men in Thailand spend a few weeks or even months at a temple becoming a Buddhist monk and studying. Where they learn the key principles of Buddhism.

Buddhas path focuses on the single-minded pursuit of an individuals spiritual goals, not on the establishment of new conceptions of the Deity. The emphasis of the religion he founded is on meditation and the observance of important moral precepts, seen as expressions of ones own actual nature rather than as standards derived from external divine authority.

Both lay and monastic Buddhists commit to the following precepts:

Not to kill.

Not to steal.

Not to act in an unchaste manner.

Not to speak falsely.

Not to take intoxicants.

In addition, monks vow:

Not to eat at times not appointed.

Not to view entertainments deemed as secular.

Not to wear perfumes or bodily ornaments.

Not to sleep in beds that are too high or too wide.

Not to accept money.

Many other vows may also accompany the pursuit of a monastic lifestyle.

But why when you read here at TV that Thai men suffer with so much anger, have violent tendencies, suffer from immense jealousy, drink too much alcohol and sadly the country has one of the highest death rate from shootings.

I have travelled to many countries and spent time there not just as a tourist so I got a real taste of the countries I stayed in. But Thailand I find a little unnerving at times and I am constantly on my guard more so than most countries I have been in.

Buddhism practiced by the laypeople in Thailand is an a la carte style. They take what they like when they want to. As a Buddhist myself I identify very little with the practice in Thailand. Buddha did not promote ceremony or idols and thought such things were crutches for the weak of mind. He certainly never promoted going to a temple to ask for good luck in a lottery. The seeking of merit by Thais is always related to the hoping that some craving will be satisfied. As much as I adore my wife, I see these unskillful practices by her but gradually she is starting to understand and see what Buddha was really trying to say.

I came to Thailand with a great interest in Buhhism but my interest soon wavered when I saw how everyday Buddhism in the street seemed to be linked to material wealth. With monks hanging around outside Big C to collec money.... To everyday people going to the temple in the hope of getting luck to get more money from the lottery etc..... So I am heartened to hear your perspective

Try going to Myanmar. Old values still hold and as I was sitting in a small local café of sorts the old lady asked me where I lived while giving me a plate of curry goose. I said Thailand with out warning she laughed and said the road to hell is lined with orange robes. She then smiled and left. From that I gather that in Myanmar they see the practice of Thai Buddhism to be a bit out there as well.

Freud argues it's an inherent characteristic of humans to feel great/important. In countries like Thailand, poorer people rarely have a chance to feel important so when they do they get carried away. This can be seen in any situation where they have power, e.g. they're at the wheel of a large vehicle, they have a gun, they have a submissive girlfriend, they're alone in a train cabin with a young girl, etc.

"But why when you read here at TV that Thai men suffer with so much anger, have violent tendencies, suffer from immense jealousy, drink too much alcohol and sadly the country has one of the highest death rate from shootings."

Repressed anger. Jai yen yen = time bomb.

Edited by eldragon

Thai Buddhists are no different from Christians who are against abortion (because only God has the right to take back what He has given) but support the death penalty. Every country, every religious group has its contradiction coffee1.gif

Or the people who support a woman's right to choose what she does with her body, yet still oppose prostitution.

Thai Buddhists are no different from Christians who are against abortion (because only God has the right to take back what He has given) but support the death penalty. Every country, every religious group has its contradiction coffee1.gif

Religion is a farce all over the world, just because they call themselves (insert religion) does not mean they really act like it. People love cherry picking what they need.

Its the same all over the world.

Buddhism practiced by the laypeople in Thailand is an a la carte style. They take what they like when they want to. As a Buddhist myself I identify very little with the practice in Thailand. Buddha did not promote ceremony or idols and thought such things were crutches for the weak of mind. He certainly never promoted going to a temple to ask for good luck in a lottery. The seeking of merit by Thais is always related to the hoping that some craving will be satisfied. As much as I adore my wife, I see these unskillful practices by her but gradually she is starting to understand and see what Buddha was really trying to say.

Your a Buddhist you say.

Which "path" do you follow.

Re your wife and other Thais who practice Buddhism differently to you, did Buddha preach only, that he having found his way, was not a god to be followed, and each person should be free to find their own way. Are these people free to find their own way...or should they be persuaded, as you are persuading your wife, to see your way.

The fundamental purpose of religion is to awaken, to gain insight into the nature of reality and ourselves which will set us free from our conditioned and misguided drives and delusions that create our suffering and conflict. Obviously most religions have failed miserably in this mission and added to the root problem. My view is that they have been hijacked by special interests who have misguided people to relinquish their money, their power, their independence, their reason and discernment... We should be suspicious of organized religion but not give up our spiritual quest... the responsibility is back on our own shoulders to discern what is helpful and what is BS which simply means we have to work a bit harder on ourselves and not just be a part of a mindless flock...

I suspect that many Thai men have been emasculated to some degree and are angry. It's unclear here what it is to be a "man"...

I see you have not travelled to the big South American countries or Africa then. They would really have you looking over your shoulder if you are twitchy about Thailand. Have you ever seen Indonesians go amok? Be happy you live in Thailand.

The Buddha explained that it is Ignorance that is at the root of all this mess of suffering.

Blinded by ignorance and craving and clinging we run around in the rounds of rebirth.

All of us.

Just calling yourself a Buddhist, a christian, a muslim, a humanist, a sceptic will not instantly impart understanding and overcome that ignorance.

We are born with it and until we correct our behaviour we will remain in its grip. It all boils down to our own actions.

There is no simple cure I am afraid. The cultural aspects and the way that each of us learns about Buddhism and our own backgrounds determine what it means to us. No two people believe the same things even though they claim to be followers of the same view point.

Buddhism in Thailand is so hidden behind rites and rituals it is really hard to find it anymore. The cultural aspects of most Asian cultures also make a point of encouraging people to not examine and criticise others even if it is right in front of them.

Maybe it is the same in the West as well, who questions the cults of football teams, or beer drinking, or drug use in the west? Our films are all about some moral framework of honour that leads us to kill and destroy everything and become a hero. Our heros are always avenging some wrong done to some close family member. Forgiveness does not make a good film script. Eye for eye does though. Bad guys are cruel good guys are just.

How much of these views did we learn from studying religion and how much from the culture we were born in? A lot isnt it. What do Thais see around them? It is not what I saw around me growing up in the West. Thats where we really are formed as humans.

While organized religion isn’t really my thing, I don’t fault those who subscribe to it. In my view, the observation that for many people their religion doesn’t seem to carry over into daily life is simply that we all have our own lessons to learn. You are either moving along the path towards Buddha nature, or heaven or Godliness if you prefer, or you are moving away from it. How we choose to use our time and how we choose to treat others reflects how far we have developed the Buddha nature in all of us.

Thailand claims to be a Buddhist country.

Most Thai people claim to be Buddhist.

Most know nothing about the teachings of the Buddha,

and have mixed Brahmanism and animism into what they think is Buddhism.

Your average Thai has no problem with killing, cheating, infidelity, gluttony, intoxication or any of the other things the Buddha spoke against.

But the Wat is a nice place to gather to socialize and gossip while the Monks are speaking somewhere in the background,

I mentioned the following to a friend of mine who ordained recently:

"Sila, Sahmadhi, Panna." (Morality, meditation, widsom.)

His response: "Sila is difficult."

And as a once ordained monk, all I could say is, "Yes - it is!"

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's more about tradition, rites, and rituals. Very few Buddhists are, well....on the path. Especially Thai Buddhists. My take on Thai Buddhism? "Buddha flavored Animism." There is a lot of truth to that statement.

Anyway, I've seem my fair share of Christian missionaries would have difficulty discerning moral from amoral or immoral.

Religion is a farce all over the world, just because they call themselves (insert religion) does not mean they really act like it. People love cherry picking what they need.

What if I told you, in all honesty, that Buddhism is not a religion. Then what? Have fun with that thought.

What if I told you, in all honesty, that Buddhism is not a religion. Then what? Have fun with that thought.

And it is not. It is a philosophical concept that has been "religiously" indoctrinated into a population and consquently been deemed a religion.

And that is equally true for all "religion".

Remove Deity from consideration in any religion and you have a workable model of social structure.

Most young men in Thailand spend a few weeks or even months at a temple becoming a Buddhist monk and studying. Where they learn the key principles of Buddhism.

These days most Thai men only spend a few days to a week in the temple wearing the robes. It has been a long time since most men spent at least one entire rainy season (pansaa) studying. Most of the Thai men I know who spent any significant time in the temple are over 60 years of age.

Try going to Myanmar. Old values still hold and as I was sitting in a small local café of sorts the old lady asked me where I lived while giving me a plate of curry goose. I said Thailand with out warning she laughed and said the road to hell is lined with orange robes. She then smiled and left. From that I gather that in Myanmar they see the practice of Thai Buddhism to be a bit out there as well.

Like Myanmar are hypercritical in there beliefs.. U meet good and the bad like all religions

I came to Thailand with a great interest in Buhhism but my interest soon wavered when I saw how everyday Buddhism in the street seemed to be linked to material wealth. With monks hanging around outside Big C to collec money.... To everyday people going to the temple in the hope of getting luck to get more money from the lottery etc..... So I am heartened to hear your perspective

Yes and the very temples themselves becoming 'Tourist Centres' where making money is all encompassing and coaches full of tourists wind their way to and fro down narrow village roads. They even employ guys to control traffic and give the coaches priority.

Removing "rebirth" from this nonsense would make it much more appealing to me.............hey youll be re distributed is more like it with your atoms maybe being used somewhere else later.

Thai Buddhism......................nah its just a sick sick money making joke........but oh my goodness dont dare tell them this PAINFUL TRUTH