Assad criticises Munich deal saying its 'unenforceable'

webfact

Assad criticises Munich deal saying its 'unenforceable'

606x341_324353.jpg

- “Ceasefire doesn’t mean each party will stop using weapons”
- “Who will hold terrorists to account?”
- “Political transition is subject to Syrian constitution”

DAMASCUS: -- Hopes of a rapid ceasefire in Syria have been dismissed by Bashar al-Assad. In a televised speech made to Syria’s top lawyers, the president said a cessation of hostilities as agreed by world powers in Munich was not possible by the end of the week., contrary to US and Russian plans.

“Until now, we hear about them requesting a ceasefire within a week. Ok, then who is capable of bringing together all these conditions within a week? No one. Who will speak to the terrorists if a terrorist organisation refuses to adhere to the ceasefire, who will make them accountable?

Assad also said that any political transition in the country must be subject to the existing Syrian constitution and went on to belittle Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

“They (Turkey and Saudi Arabia) are merely following orders. Their present role is to blow their own trumpets in order to try and blackmail us if we go to another round of talks and are threatening us with a ground invasion if we don’t offer concessions. If they were allowed to do this, they would have done so a long time ago, at least a few months ago.”

Despite Assad’s scepticism the UN envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, has made a surprise visit to the capital Damascus as part of his efforts to “ follow up” on commitments made in Munich.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-02-16

I guess this is one of the issues that happens when you don;t invite the protagonists to the ceasefire talks...

They were invited. And refused.

Don't think they really want to make peace with the man that sent his army out to kill them.

Not a wholly unexpected reaction.

Assad should not be involved in the future government of Syria any more than IS should be.

As long as Assad is the leader of Syria, there will be no peace because he will not allow anti-Assad citizens to return without retribution.

As long as ISIS is around there will be no peace because, well, ISIS survives on war, killing, raping and enslaving.

I don't think there will be peace in Syria for a long time to come.

As long as Assad is the leader of Syria, there will be no peace because he will not allow anti-Assad citizens to return without retribution.

I'm pretty sure the feelings are mutual.

My instincts also tell me that democracy supporters are in the minority among "anti-Assad citizens".

Edited by manarak

My instincts also tell me that democracy supporters are in the minority among "anti-Assad citizens".

Not so sure about that. Repression of the population is what helped create this mess...and a non-elected and brutal dictator. Interesting comment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_opposition

"The core of the grassroots civil opposition is the youth, mainly from the working and middle-classes, in which women and diverse religious and ethnic groups play active roles. Many of these activists remain non-affiliated to traditional political ideologies but are motivated by concerns for freedom, dignity, social justice and basic human rights." [3]

Sounds democratic to me. Best of luck to them.

That was my point. Peace and Reconciliation don't seem to be in the cards for a very long time and in that part of the world it seems that people have very, very long memories.

Not so sure about that. Repression of the population is what helped create this mess...and a non-elected and brutal dictator. Interesting comment:

"The core of the grassroots civil opposition is the youth, mainly from the working and middle-classes, in which women and diverse religious and ethnic groups play active roles. Many of these activists remain non-affiliated to traditional political ideologies but are motivated by concerns for freedom, dignity, social justice and basic human rights." %5B3%5D

yeah, well, the comment you quoted comes from this site:

https://tahriricn.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/syria-the-struggle-continues-syrias-grass-roots-civil-opposition/

*ahem*

"The core of the grassroots civil opposition is the youth, mainly from the working and middle-classes, in which women and diverse religious and ethnic groups play active roles. Many of these activists remain non-affiliated to traditional political ideologies but are motivated by concerns for freedom, dignity, social justice and basic human rights." %5B3%5D

yeah, well, the comment you quoted comes from this site:

https://tahriricn.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/syria-the-struggle-continues-syrias-grass-roots-civil-opposition/

*ahem*

Not sure what's wrong with that blog? From the "about" page of that blog. Makes sense....

They have also similar objectives: the fight for a free and self-governed society based on tolerance, equality and openness, the society in which the social side is placed above the mercantile.

It is those common goals which make a fear for the ruling and that is why they generate artificially the conflict of civilizations.

And it is up to us whether, in this turning point of the social awakening, that conflict will become a reality, or we start a joint struggle for the common society.

Through this network we want to create a platform for discussions, for presenting the issues of struggle and their local conditions and differences, for presenting and explaining undertaken actions and planning joint activities in future.

That was my point. Peace and Reconciliation don't seem to be in the cards for a very long time and in that part of the world it seems that people have very, very long memories.

Ain't that the truth!

biggrin.png

Keep Assad….throw out everyone else who doesn't belong there…isis, the turk tribesmen etc.

Once they are gone, negotiate a pact with Assad that ensures that he behaves.

And let Russia build a base there…same way as US has 5 military bases in Saudi.

How hard is it to see that this is the only way?

of course not!

bc if peace comes Assad and Russia will not be staying long. Assad want to stay in power and Russia wants to keep their bases and land they have stolen from Syrian people.

If Assad quits killing his people, then let Russia have the land. This mess would be over.

Keep Assad….throw out everyone else who doesn't belong there…isis, the turk tribesmen etc.

Once they are gone, negotiate a pact with Assad that ensures that he behaves.

And let Russia build a base there…same way as US has 5 military bases in Saudi.

How hard is it to see that this is the only way?

I think the 70% majority Sunni population will feel that they belong there.

And they damned sure won't want to be ruled by the man that sent his army to kill them.

He only sent his army to kill them because one fine day they decided that spring had sprung and they wanted to copy what was going on in egypt and libya by trying to topple him. I never heard of this guy killing so many syrians prior to that.

It amazes me to think they never thought he would fight back....they prolly thought the usa would help them....like the idiot bush did with iraq.

He only sent his army to kill them because one fine day they decided that spring had sprung and they wanted to copy what was going on in egypt and libya by trying to topple him. I never heard of this guy killing so many syrians prior to that.

It amazes me to think they never thought he would fight back....they prolly thought the usa would help them....like the idiot bush did with iraq.

You obviously don't know much about the history of Syria. Nor the causes of the Arab Spring.