Buying a new pickup: Ford Wildtrak 2016 vs Mazda BT-50 2016

Pink7

What is the best on safety? suv/pickup? Wildtrax? new pajero? everest?

Pink

Wildtrax has the highest level of safety features in a pickup by a mile. not sure about the SUV's.

Yes i like the wildtrax,,the dealbreaker is lack of gps navigation unit

Pink

Not sure what you mean, the new Wildtrax has a lovely GPS/Satnav unit

Ok thats great.. I readed the everest not have so i expected same for wildtrax.... When i looked used wildtrax 2013/14/15 i dont see any with gps..Thanks for clearing that up...That was a positive news..

Pink

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok thats great.. I readed the everest not have so i expected same for wildtrax.... When i looked used wildtrax 2013/14/15 i dont see any with gps..Thanks for clearing that up...That was a positive news..

Pink

It seems like SydneyGuy really is in Sydney smile.png

Australian Rangers/Everests get GPS navigation, yes, Thai versions do not. The Sync2 system simply has no (current) support for Thai language (not even for your phone contacts list).

Pink

Don't see why your comparing SUV's to trucks. Best to compare like with like IMHO.

Why not? Im also asking whats best on safety of suv and pickup...We all know they built on same platforms. Who will handle a sideimpact best of a suv and pickup? Suv carry more weight..could that be a benifit? Who have the strongest body to handle impact?

Dillagad, its not so important what you think of this comparing..What is important for me is to get a safe good unit it can be a suv and it can be a pickup.

Pink

Arguably, these SUV's based on pickups are going to have largely the same side impact performance. In some circumstances the SUV's might perform a little better, as the shorter wheelbase means more chance of contacting a rear wheel which will absorb more forces than the tray of a pickup.

Outside of that, extra mass means potentially less G forces on cabin occupants, but more forces to be absorbed by the vehicle structure (on both side of the accident) - i.e. in a side impact, a heavier car will have less propensity to slide sideways is minimize impact forces that way - but sideways movement also means more potential trauma for the occupants.

Dont forget increased mass/weight also means longer braking times, and less chance of manouevering around a potential obstacle, no doubt the hi rider pickups have a higher centre of gravity and are more prone to rollovers during a heavy collision, i would be interested to see how Ford designed the rollover mitigation technology in the Wildtrak, and how successful it is in preventing rollovers during a heavy collision.

Pink

Don't see why your comparing SUV's to trucks. Best to compare like with like IMHO.

Why not? Im also asking whats best on safety of suv and pickup...We all know they built on same platforms. Who will handle a sideimpact best of a suv and pickup? Suv carry more weight..could that be a benifit? Who have the strongest body to handle impact?

Dillagad, its not so important what you think of this comparing..What is important for me is to get a safe good unit it can be a suv and it can be a pickup.

Pink

Arguably, these SUV's based on pickups are going to have largely the same side impact performance. In some circumstances the SUV's might perform a little better, as the shorter wheelbase means more chance of contacting a rear wheel which will absorb more forces than the tray of a pickup.

Outside of that, extra mass means potentially less G forces on cabin occupants, but more forces to be absorbed by the vehicle structure (on both side of the accident) - i.e. in a side impact, a heavier car will have less propensity to slide sideways is minimize impact forces that way - but sideways movement also means more potential trauma for the occupants.

Reading and watching news in Thailend regarding to accidents make security top priority for me.. Im a quite fresh driver so i was also looking for a easy to drive car,,and had Toyota Avanza on list..but some google on safety made it easy to remove from my list: Currently my list of "cars" i like is:

New Pajero ( top model with lots of airbags)

Fortuner ( big minus on the 3 row seat folding)

Everest ( big minus on no GPS, and not shure if i liked the interior last i was in showroom)

Wildtrax

BT-50 ( big minus on airbags)

Im planing to check out the cars more on the coming carshows next week

Pink

Dont forget increased mass/weight also means longer braking times, and less chance of manouevering around a potential obstacle, no doubt the hi rider pickups have a higher centre of gravity and are more prone to rollovers during a heavy collision, i would be interested to see how Ford designed the rollover mitigation technology in the Wildtrak, and how successful it is in preventing rollovers during a heavy collision.

Does it though? The Everest/PJS have 4 wheel disc brakes - pickups all have rear drums. The Everest out-handles the Wildtrak in all situations.

Disclaimer: I have both the Everest and a Wildtrak ;)

Reading and watching news in Thailend regarding to accidents make security top priority for me.. Im a quite fresh driver so i was also looking for a easy to drive car,,and had Toyota Avanza on list..but some google on safety made it easy to remove from my list: Currently my list of "cars" i like is:

Everest ( big minus on no GPS, and not shure if i liked the interior last i was in showroom)

Wildtrax

Pink

If built in GPS is really such a deal breaker, add 30K Baht to the price if your Everest - that will buy you GPS navigation, Miracast support, Android app support, DVB-T2 free to air TV, external monitor support, and HDMI input - all completely integrated with the Sync2 system, but using an aftermarket box.

You could even watch Netflix while driving - if you can handle the 4G bills tongue.png

Note: The same thing also applies to the Wildtrak.

And again, note that the PJS does not have 3rd row airbags, if you plan to use the SUV as a 7-seater..

Edited by IMHO

Pink

It seems like SydneyGuy really is in Sydney smile.png

Australian Rangers/Everests get GPS navigation, yes, Thai versions do not. The Sync2 system simply has no (current) support for Thai language (not even for your phone contacts list).

Apologies for my lack of knowledge in regards to GPS on the Ranger, the Sync 2 shouldn't be an issue as Thais don't buy Fords they buy Toyota/Isuzu/Mazda:)

Wildtrax

Pink

If built in GPS is really such a deal breaker, add 30K Baht to the price if your Everest - that will buy you GPS navigation, Miracast support, Android app support, DVB-T2 free to air TV, external monitor support, and HDMI input - all completely integrated with the Sync2 system, but using an aftermarket box.

You could even watch Netflix while driving - if you can handle the 4G bills tongue.png

i dont know what options ford have to ad navigation...but its strange they not added it... im going to need and want a built in gps and new pajero already have it.. So i must call it a dealbreaker for ford Everest.. A car in this segment and price level and not have a gps unit must be a mistake from Ford. Lets see if 2017 version will have gps...i would guess they will ad it sooner or later.

Pink

Wildtrax

Pink

i dont know what options ford have to ad navigation...but its strange they not added it... im going to need and want a built in gps and new pajero already have it.. So i must call it a dealbreaker for ford Everest.. A car in this segment and price level and not have a gps unit must be a mistake from Ford. Lets see if 2017 version will have gps...i would guess they will ad it sooner or later.

Pink

The next minor change is likely to include Sync3, which will still not have GPS. With Sync3 though, your phone's map app integrates with the car's touch screen.

For me, the lack of GPS is meaningless anyway. I much prefer to use Siri and just let my phone do it anyway. I can even plan trips before I get into the car tongue.png

I see built-in GPS as tech that's simply going to age and let you down eventually. I'm quite happy to be away from the times of visiting the dealership for map updates that were already our of date anyway (and sometimes ridiculously expensive), and manually updating POI lists almost every week so they stayed current. I see built-in GPS as being as useless as buying a car with a DVD player in a streaming video/audio world wink.png

BTW: the latest update for the Sync2 system includes support for Siri - so you can drive your phones GPS using the car's voice controls now - no fiddling around to find the phone. The only downside is that there's no map display on the 8" screen.

Edited by IMHO

Wildtrax

Pink

Pink

Does seem a bit strange that if you buy a Ford Ranger or Everest in other countries they either come equipped with factory satnav/GPS or have the option to add a factory unit. Maybe too many Thais use their phones for GPS and dont see it as a must have item on a new car:)

The next minor change is likely to include Sync3, which will still not have GPS. With Sync3 though, your phone's map app integrates with the car's touch screen.

For me, the lack of GPS is meaningless anyway. I much prefer to use Siri and just let my phone do it anyway. I can even plan trips before I get into the car tongue.png

I see built-in GPS as tech that's simply going to age and let you down eventually. I'm quite happy to be away from the times of visiting the dealership for map updates that were already our of date anyway (and sometimes ridiculously expensive), and manually updating POI lists almost every week so they stayed current. I see built-in GPS as being as useless as buying a car with a DVD player in a streaming video/audio world wink.png

BTW: the latest update for the Sync2 system includes support for Siri - so you can drive your phones GPS using the car's voice controls now - no fiddling around to find the phone. The only downside is that there's no map display on the 8" screen.

I see its just the opposite way....Hopefully the car industry choose solutions where software updates / upgrades is usefriendly so the hardware got a long life.

Pink

Wildtrax

Pink

Pink

Does seem a bit strange that if you buy a Ford Ranger or Everest in other countries they either come equipped with factory satnav/GPS or have the option to add a factory unit. Maybe too many Thais use their phones for GPS and dont see it as a must have item on a new car:)

I guess the Thais thinking and care different than most of us other do.. They not so focus on airbags too....and they are fine bringing their family in the back of a pickup truck. I must say the car market in Thailand is strange in more ways. Most buy on credit..cash buyers are not rewarded with extra discount...if any at all... And used cars cost almost same with low and very high milage..

Pink

Edited by Pink7

I see its just the opposite way....Hopefully the car industry choose solutions where software updates / upgrades is usefriendly so the hardware got a long life.

Pink

That's exactly what Ford and others are doing.. Car manufacturers are never going to make the exact software you want - it's not their business. By supporting phones properly - with voice control, screen mirroring and touch support, you have the freedom to choose the apps you want and you car supports them.

e.g. Some people are happy with Google maps, others prefer the Garmin app, or Sygic app - I seriously doubt anyone in the whole wide world prefers their built-in GPS to any of these though.

What about music services like Deezer, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify etc? do you really want to be limited in selection because that's what your car supports?

When considering what people might want to do in their car both now and in the future, supporting phone based apps is the only logical way forward that never limits consumers.

Edited by IMHO

i would be interested to see how Ford designed the rollover mitigation technology in the Wildtrak, and how successful it is in preventing rollovers during a heavy collision.

The rollover mitigation does nothing in the event of an actual collision - by then it's just too late.

The idea of this tech is avoiding a rollover situation in the first place.

It works by automating the brakes, independently for each wheel, without varying the actual course of the car. e.g. if you've gone into a right-hand corner too fast, it will take all brake pressure off the left front wheel, then modulate the brakes on the other 3 wheels to help avoid a rollover, but at the same time maintain course/heading. Even if you haven't braked yet, it will do so automatically.

I've had it kick in before, on a spirited mountain drive. It was very well controlled, and I never felt like I'd lost any input. The only complaint is that I reckon it wasn't needed... it won't let you go beyond 9/10ths ;)

Edited by IMHO

Wildtrax

Pink

Pink

The missus has a Windows Phone and the voice navigation and sms stuff links perfectly. Much preferable to using built in navigation imho.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying Pajero sport 4wd on the motorshow in Korat with 25k in free accessories. I had the car for 2 weeks now and its a great car. I have drived 1 thank now, 54 liter and got 530 km mixed driving

Pink

• 4 weeks later...

Hearing about these discounts is bugging me. Why? Well... Hiccup No.1 - Despite paying a 5000 baht deposit to hold a promotion the dealer now phones to say the promotion ended and no longer can give 50000 baht off retail price. £1000. This after finance accepted and car ready for collection. Mazda dealer looking like cowboys, idiots or both. Will be having words with them. If I take the car all the free accessories better be present and if they don't give the promotion and I still want the car I will be smiling when I demand this month's new promotion and demand this month's 7000 baht lower retail price. Car better be absolutely spotless though or walking away with my 5000 baht deposit... but now sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one and remove the discount as know they have a sell. Pickup waiting to be collected. Guy called 15:00 to state car ready. Finance only accepted day before. Then 18:30 calls again. Outside office hours... to say promotion ended and 50000 discount not available. Amnat Charoen Dealer BTW.

Hearing about these discounts is bugging me. Why? Well... Hiccup No.1 - Despite paying a 5000 baht deposit to hold a promotion the dealer now phones to say the promotion ended and no longer can give 50000 baht off retail price. £1000. This after finance accepted and car ready for collection. Mazda dealer looking like cowboys, idiots or both. Will be having words with them. If I take the car all the free accessories better be present and if they don't give the promotion and I still want the car I will be smiling when I demand this month's new promotion and demand this month's 7000 baht lower retail price. Car better be absolutely spotless though or walking away with my 5000 baht deposit... but now sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one and remove the discount as know they have a sell. Pickup waiting to be collected. Guy called 15:00 to state car ready. Finance only accepted day before. Then 18:30 calls again. Outside office hours... to say promotion ended and 50000 discount not available. Amnat Charoen Dealer BTW.

When you made the booking, were all the terms of the deal written down on the booking form?

It may be the last phone.
Two years ago the model. still lose satellites under tallway or not correct work.rolleyes.gif
and the phone can be damaged / stolen etcrolleyes.gif

i would be interested to see how Ford designed the rollover mitigation technology in the Wildtrak, and how successful it is in preventing rollovers during a heavy collision.

The rollover mitigation does nothing in the event of an actual collision - by then it's just too late.

The idea of this tech is avoiding a rollover situation in the first place.

It works by automating the brakes, independently for each wheel, without varying the actual course of the car. e.g. if you've gone into a right-hand corner too fast, it will take all brake pressure off the left front wheel, then modulate the brakes on the other 3 wheels to help avoid a rollover, but at the same time maintain course/heading. Even if you haven't braked yet, it will do so automatically.

I've had it kick in before, on a spirited mountain drive. It was very well controlled, and I never felt like I'd lost any input. The only complaint is that I reckon it wasn't needed... it won't let you go beyond 9/10ths wink.png

I suspect that in this situation it will be difficult to keep on the road truck

but cutting on Thai road often happensrolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/q1qaE0ISKuc

Have a look at the Nissan navara .

New one looks nice .

I drove the older model and it's a dream so the new one should be better ?

Still wish I bought the basic model instead of this shitty eco yaris

I put deposit on ford ranger at surin dealership l asked details of insurance and what company iy will be with. If you buy car on finance you get 3 years of first insurance if you buy it outright you get 1 year l dont understand.

I put deposit on ford ranger at surin dealership l asked details of insurance and what company iy will be with. If you buy car on finance you get 3 years of first insurance if you buy it outright you get 1 year l dont understand.

They make more money with finance

They haven't been very informative about the insurance like its too much hard work l waited 2 weeks in surin and since being home have emailed the dealership the salesman but still no reply they can ring my gf 3 times a day to ask when we going to pay..

Both my Rangers bought on finance had the free 1st class insurance for the first 12 months only. Maybe they have had bad experience with buyers not maintaining their insurance after the year is up?

My advice after both purchases is for a buyer to arrange his own 1st class insurance from the start and ask the dealer for a further discount. This should be around 15k to 20k depending if it's a 2.2 or a 3.2. Both times when renewal was due, I had to chase down the existing 'free' insurance carrier for a detailed quote and both times they failed to beat what I managed to arrange for myself through a brokerage. They were also inflexible on retaining a higher vehicle 'total loss' value and getting them to quantify the NCB was a chore. They wanted me to renew, no questions asked, with a higher premium 'due to inflation'.The convenience of driving off the showroom floor without an insurance hassle was lost 12 months later.

Edited by NanLaew

Both my Rangers bought on finance had the free 1st class insurance for the first 12 months only. Maybe they have had bad experience with buyers not maintaining their insurance after the year is up?

My advice after both purchases is for a buyer to arrange his own 1st class insurance from the start and ask the dealer for a further discount. This should be around 15k to 20k depending if it's a 2.2 or a 3.2. Both times when renewal was due, I had to chase down the existing 'free' insurance carrier for a detailed quote and both times they failed to beat what I managed to arrange for myself through a brokerage. They were also inflexible on retaining a higher vehicle 'total loss' value and getting them to quantify the NCB was a chore. They wanted me to renew, no questions asked, with a higher premium 'due to inflation'.The convenience of driving off the showroom floor without an insurance hassle was lost 12 months later.

Same here and Tisco make sure you continue to have 1st class insurance until your payments are finished.

I put deposit on ford ranger at surin dealership l asked details of insurance and what company iy will be with. If you buy car on finance you get 3 years of first insurance if you buy it outright you get 1 year l dont understand

3 years of first class insurance sounds like a good deal, even if you pay by installments. What downpayment do they want for that deal? Just check on the interest rate.