Request Advice for Laos Trip

Cutty Shark

Hi. I’ve been in Thailand for 15 years, but this will be my first trip to Laos, for just a couple days. I’m going mainly just to get away from Bangkok for a little change of pace.

I’m not into seeing temples or commercialized sightseeing spots; I like walking and I’d mainly just like to walk and look around in Vientiane.

I’d appreciate if you could advise me on a few points:

I’ll be flying. Where should a look for good prices on a ticket?

How should I handle the visa?

Any advice on a comfortable, reasonably-priced hotel in the main area where tourists stay?

If the hotel doesn’t have shuttle service to/from the hotel, how should I go from the airport?

Where should I cash money?

Can I use the ATM cards of my Thai banks: K-Bank, Krungsri, SCB?

Besides walking, what are other good ways of getting around in the city?

If you’d like to offer any other advice that may be helpful, I’d be happy to receive it.

Thanks!

Most of the farang hang out are near the Mekong. There are places to stay around that area and I am sure getting a taxi from the airport will be a simple venture. Look on booking.com for places to stay as they sometimes offer cash on arrival rather than credit card payments. ATM transactions should not be a problem, plus you can actually use baht anyway, they usually offer the choice. If you currently have a visa/extension for Thailand that is not expiring soon you should get a re-entry permit before leaving otherwise you visa/extension will be terminated. If you are flying in I am guessing you will get like flying into Thailand, depending on your nationality a 30 day waiver. There are some nice restaurants and places to hang out in and around the Mekong promenade area. As for getting around the city, you maybe able to rent a bicycle. When I was there I did not look for scooter rental but I am sure after talking to the staff at where you are staying something can be worked out. To be honest I pretty much just walked around and most things are within a reasonable distance, nothing like if you were in BKK. Vientiane is not a very big capitol city and you can easily get from point A to B within a 20-30 mins steady walk.

The poster above answered the questions better than I. tongue.png Just a couple of things to add. Vientianne is a nice city - quite a change from BKK, and more like a provincial city than a country's capital city. I had not problems getting a taxi from the airport and received a Lao visa on arrival. I cashed Thai baht at the airport, though I dont know if there were moneychangers in town that offered a better rate. As noted above, you can rent a bike or use the equivalent of the tuk-tuks to get around.

Along the riverfront, there is a night market and some western style restaurants and pubs.

Most of the farang hang out are near the Mekong. There are places to stay around that area and I am sure getting a taxi from the airport will be a simple venture. Look on booking.com for places to stay as they sometimes offer cash on arrival rather than credit card payments. ATM transactions should not be a problem, plus you can actually use baht anyway, they usually offer the choice. If you currently have a visa/extension for Thailand that is not expiring soon you should get a re-entry permit before leaving otherwise you visa/extension will be terminated. If you are flying in I am guessing you will get like flying into Thailand, depending on your nationality a 30 day waiver. There are some nice restaurants and places to hang out in and around the Mekong promenade area. As for getting around the city, you maybe able to rent a bicycle. When I was there I did not look for scooter rental but I am sure after talking to the staff at where you are staying something can be worked out. To be honest I pretty much just walked around and most things are within a reasonable distance, nothing like if you were in BKK. Vientiane is not a very big capitol city and you can easily get from point A to B within a 20-30 mins steady walk.

Just to clarify, if you fly in to laos you don't need to pay for the $30 visa?

Also if you book with Nok Air to Udon Thani they offer a free shuttle to the border and when you go through the border there is a man with a Nok Air sign that will take you into Vientiane.

Its a bit boring there to be honest but food and beer is good. Maybe Luang Prubang would be better. Air Asia are now flying there with a promotion.

All good answers above but here is some more detail. I have been to both LP and Vientiane recently (not 40 years ago ! ).

You can spend or change baht - there are banks you just walk into and hand over the Baht to get their 2 million kwazangadongs or is it Kips to a 100 baht?

One thing that stands out is that Hotels are not to the same standard as Thailand. You have to pay big bucks for a real deal modern place with modern facilities. Lots of Guest Houses in LP and V but are more for people who tie their hair in dreadlocks and old rope and wear pyjamas all day and go about with a vacant look. Backpackers I think they are called.

As mentioned you can walk everywhere in both towns. LP you can walk around the whole place in about a day and half.

Bicycle rental is available everywhere and in some hotels free. Remember they drive on the wrong side of the road there.

I saw mentioned the 30 dollar visa cost - is that a question ? Coz you have to pay as far as I know on land or air entry. It is 31 Dollars on a Sunday to pay for overtime....true.

Eating out down by the silted up Mekong river in V is no problem. Lots of places serve good western and Thai food and also Vietnamese. Lots of really good bakerys and coffee shops. LP has good places to eat also but it has not the large selection that V has.

I liked the laid back slow slow atmosphere of LP more than V, but choice of where to stay and food is better in V.

NOK air have problems at the moment with pilot strikes. Also the bus at the other side only runs at certain times and you might wait hours at the border for it, being pestered by Tuk Tuk drivers and there is little in the way of food outlets and not very nice toilets for you to explore at the border post.

You have to go to a travel agents office at set times also for the bus back out of V to catch the NOK plane back to Don Muang.

that about covers it...enjoy your time.

Edited by lonewolf99

All good answers above but here is some more detail. I have been to both LP an Vientiane recently (not 40 years ago ! ).

Sounds as if it is still a nice place smile.png - spent 3 months there in 1974 and preferred over Vientiane and Savannakhet where I also lived. Time does not move too quickly anywhere in Laos.

I appreciate all the good advice I received on this subject. Just one more thing: If anyone has any specific hotel recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

Stayed at the Best Western recently - good hotel with a good buffet breakfast and very close to the river

Not new and a little funky but my family group really liked the "Inner City Boutique Hotel" in Vientiane, on the river across from the night market. Many of the rooms, especially in the old wing have beautiful wood walls and nice furnishings. The public areas are beautifully decorated with Laotian figures and antiques. The floors creak, some walls are cracked...the place has character. If you like sleek and new; not for you.

Lots of restaurants nearby with a wide variety of choices. There is still enough of old Vientiane remaining to make strolling around side streets interesting.

Bring US$35 for visa at border, Thai Baht is 1500.

How should I handle the visa?

Visa on arrival, $30-40

Any advice on a comfortable, reasonably-priced hotel in the main area where tourists stay?

check Agoda, prices are market determined, hence 'reasonable.'

If the hotel doesn’t have shuttle service to/from the hotel, how should I go from the airport?

Taxi//Tuktuk

Where should I cash money?

​Money is already cash, right?

Can I use the ATM cards of my Thai banks: K-Bank, Krungsri, SCB?

Likely. Transaction fee & poor exchange rate will apply.

Besides walking, what are other good ways of getting around in the city?

Jogging, bicycle, taxi, motorbike rental.

If you’d like to offer any other advice that may be helpful, I’d be happy to receive it.

Hire a bicycle. Novotel used to be a good place to stay but I haven't been for a few years. Vientiene is a small city...think very small thai town. Easy to get around and no where more than 30 easy minutes on a bike. Sightsee a bit during the day and end up at one of the riverside beerbars for drsft beer lao sundowners is the thing to do.