Overstaying foreigners will face ban from re-entering Thailand

What if you got banned for overstay then when back in your own country you change your name to something else by deed poll then got a new passport under that name could you cheat the ban?

You cannot change your date of birth though, and they will have your photo and maybe fingerprints, plastic surgery?

• Like 1

Overstay 88 days and surrender - no problem?

Overstay 2 days and get apprehended - 5 year ban?

????

If you surrender you are being proactive and attempting to rectify your violation. If you are caught, you may never have surrendered and are blatantly violating the laws.

However, more realistically, it is a strong suggestion to turn-in yourself and save them the problem of finding you.

What if you got banned for overstay then when back in your own country you change your name to something else by deed poll then got a new passport under that name could you cheat the ban?

You cannot change your date of birth though, and they will have your photo and maybe fingerprints, plastic surgery?

Well, you probably aren't the only person with that date of birth, are you? Looks can change--and all farangs look alike, didn't you know that? Fingerprints, well that may work; if you have fingerprints on your passport.

Private home owners and smaller rooms for rent places won't or their revenue needs to be taxed.

I agree people shouldn't over stay. I DO think these new laws are over doing it a bit. IMHO.

I think they are doing what it should do as sovereign country. USA and many European countries are harsher in cases of overstaying illegally. No one seems offended of this.

Breaking the law has a prize to pay. That's we all know.

So what happens if your on a retirement or marriage visa say and you are too ill to leave the country and/or renew your visa. Is that an overstay?

I,m crook now but plenty of time to get well. Got me wondering.

Providing the person gets this confirmed medically at a hospital then that lets them off the hook. I think it still requires someone to inform immigration with documented proof from a hospital.

Might it not be a wise move to have an amnesty for these over stayers and give them time to legalise their status then enforce the rules?

Politicians here like to try those moves so why not give that window of opportunity to the men and women on the street>

Might it not be a wise move to have an amnesty for these over stayers and give them time to legalise their status then enforce the rules?

Politicians here like to try those moves so why not give that window of opportunity to the men and women on the street>

These new rules have been in lots of threads and discussions already for many months, so the "amnesty" period is now about 4 weeks. No-one can claim that they "didn't know", since ignorance is no defense.

• Like 2

As an awareness they should post the new rules on every Thai embassy website, tourist websites so no one can say they didnt know. Post them clearly in many languages at all points of inward immigration for the non technocrats.

I had to sign an "acknowledgment form" at Bangkok Immigration earlier this month when I applied for my latest extension of stay. The form states the new rules and penalties clearly.

It could be argued that, given the amount of publicity this issue has received, that more than adequate warning and "amnesty" has been provided to the miscreant on the sreet.

As an awareness they should post the new rules on every Thai embassy website, tourist websites so no one can say they didnt know. Post them clearly in many languages at all points of inward immigration for the non technocrats.

I had to sign an "acknowledgment form" at Bangkok Immigration earlier this month when I applied for my latest extension of stay. The form states the new rules and penalties clearly.

I had to do that yesterday but the form was all in Thai as if a Thai need to fill out that form

I had to do that yesterday but the form was all in Thai as if a Thai need to fill out that form

The one I had to sign was in both Thai and English (see attached). Also had to sign an "Acknowledgement of Terms and Condition of Extension".

Thai Immigration_Acknowledgement of term and conditions_2016.pdf

Thai Immigration_Acknowledgement of Penalties for Overstay_2016.pdf

Edited by sstuff3

I have had to sign the acknowledgement for overstays for the last two extension I have done (2014 and 2015) so that is not really new.

At leas they are using the newest form (2014) for the extension conditions. They were using the old one last year.

All I can think now is thank god I sold my condo in Thailand and repatriated my funds last year before the military Junta heavy handed purge starts on all foreigners and we have now moved back to UK with the Mrs for the time being until we decide which Asian country to use and settle in as a base for spending time in Asia, the next it will be no repatriation of funds allowed out of Thailand and you will have to leave your money in Thailand forever.

...heavy handed purge starts on all foreigners.. All foreigners? Shameless lies. Are you insinuating that all foreigners in Thailand have overstayed their visas???? They want to crackdown on foreigners who have overstayed their visas and not ALL foreigners. I need to remind you this. What is bad in cracking down on people who don't want to obey the law? I know you hate Thailand, but hate it for a right reason and not a wrong reason please.

I wonder if Jim and his wife are enjoying the UK winter as we have to tough it out with 30 degrees every day.

I also wonder whether he is aware of the fate awaiting his wife (who is presumably Thai) if she were to overstay in the UK!

http://www.orchidofsiam.org.uk/index.php?p=1_43_Illegal-Immigrants-in-the-UK

Not too dissimilar to what will apply to overstaying foreigners in Thailand from 20th March, I think!

I also wonder whether he is aware of the fate awaiting his wife (who is presumably Thai) if she were to overstay in the UK!

Not too dissimilar to what will apply to overstaying foreigners in Thailand from 20th March, I think!

1 year ban voluntarily leaving flight ticket in hand, that's more reasonable than Thailand. The rest of the EU is similarly so.

Is a ban logged into a computer database or just stamped in the passport?

If it's logged surely they have every foreign individual who's checked in here on a database and are able to see all those that have overstayed?

Does such a database exist?

Just curious.

lets hope they can check at all borders with names, even if you have a new passport/number. Only way to circumvent it would be a completely new name, and that aint easy unless fake documents

This is good and is about time. They should have been doing this years ago.

Ah! The duty goody two shoes rears his ugly head. What'd they do for a teacher's pet when you left school?

Strange people who get a kick out of others misery.

Rules are Rules simple as that, adhere or go.....nothing goody two shoes about that...,

the rules hes talking about are his personal fantasy, but reality is that he doesnt make the rules and the people that do didnt make the ones he wanted, and we have no legal obligation to adhere to anyones fantasies

Edited by phycokiller

1 year ban voluntarily leaving flight ticket in hand, that's more reasonable than Thailand. The rest of the EU is similarly so.

But, against that, foreigners caught overstaying for less than 1 year will only be banned from Thailand for 5 years, but are banned from the UK for 10 years regardless!

who can tell me the internet address for the immigration to report foreigners who stay in hotels?

thanks

Why would you want to report foreigners staying in hotels ?

If you are in the hotel business and wish to make TM30 reports on line then register with the Immigration service and they will provide the required detail/password etc.

who can tell me the internet address for the immigration to report foreigners who stay in hotels?

thanks

Here it is but as said it's only any good if you're a registered user with immigration. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

The link is only on the Thai language version of the immigration website.

Private home owners and smaller rooms for rent places won't or their revenue needs to be taxed.

I agree people shouldn't over stay. I DO think these new laws are over doing it a bit. IMHO.

I think they are doing what it should do as sovereign country. USA and many European countries are harsher in cases of overstaying illegally. No one seems offended of this.

Breaking the law has a prize to pay. That's we all know.

You would think that the laws would be harsher wouldn't you?

I know that in UK, if you cannot produce your passport (or they can't find your passport) it is extremely difficult for them to deport you. This is not because the laws are not in place, but because the procedure is so complicated. In many cases the worst an illegal immigrant (same as an over-stayer regarding the passport issue) will get is having to report every week so they can track.

All the II's do is move out of that particular area and start the game again.

Big problems in the civilized world because of the laws & procedures we made for our societies to follow..........................wink.png

This is good and is about time. They should have been doing this years ago.

Ah! The duty goody two shoes rears his ugly head. What'd they do for a teacher's pet when you left school?

Strange people who get a kick out of others misery.

Not being a teachers pet, I was the one forced to sit in the front in the middle so the teacher could easily rap me across the knuckles with a ruler I did learn that if you don't want the punishment you follow the rules. If you break the rules you take the punishment without bitching. Taking the responsibility for breaking the rules to me is not called misery.

• Like 2

Foreigners spending obscene amounts of money at rooftop restaurants, as per the photo, should not be tolerated. Chinese tour buses full of diplomatically immune hiso Sino-overlords should be the standard aspired to.

Overstay in any country you get bsnned.. My mates gf did so in Australia and was banned for 3 years..

I find that it is NOT automatic, it is often dependent on whether they think you are working illegally or not. I have had a girl who I have known for a long time -- overstay in Canada and they could not care the less.... because they know she has no need to work illegally (her apparel probably is worth more than the immigrations annual salary).

Not to mention there is no exit processing, so they would actually have to look through the passport (assuming they have the same one) find the last entry stamp, then look for another countries entry stamp (which could be anywhere in the passport depending on which immigration is doing it).

Personally, I could not care one wiff about someone overstaying in Canada.... the only thing I care about is where there is a queue/quota (like work permit / residency for work) -- that queue jumpers don't get rewarded. Why the blank should I care about someone staying and spending money but not costing the government of the people anything (net benefit).

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2