AOT: Suvarnabhumi's tarmac renovation plan approved since 2014

webfact

AOT: Suvarnabhumi's tarmac renovation plan approved since 2014

a.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 February 2016 (NNT) – Concrete will be used for paving the taxiways and airport aprons at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, as detailed in a renovation plan approved since July 2014, says airport chief.

Airports of Thailand’s (AOT) Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Sirote Duangratana has said in response to the suggestions made by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) for Suvarnabhumi Airport, to expedite the taxiways and aprons renovation process, that the AOT is currently working on this issue.

IATA’s suggestion calls for the change of taxiways and aprons surface material from asphalt to steel enforced concrete in order to reduce the frequency of required maintenance operations, which has affected the airport's service capacity.

The airport director disclosed that experts have been hired to study these issues, and identified two factors contributing to deterioration. A combination of the two factors, including high amount of underground water at the airport and the surface material (asphalt), was the source of the problem. The water had softened the asphalt, especially in areas which receive significant weight, particularly at parking aprons and turning points.

To address this issue, Suvarnabhumi Airport is carrying out the renovation process in three phases, involving daily inspection and to immediately fix the affected areas, the resurfacing of taxiways and aprons with better quality asphalt, and the reduction to underground water through the subsurface drainage method.

Operations to improve the airport’s taxiways and aprons had begun since 2014, and has reached 45 percent completion. Renovation works will be completed in 2017, under a total budget of 2.58 billion baht, says Suvarnabhumi Airport director.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-22 footer_n.gif

So they first of all state that taxiways and aprons will be repaired by concrete including rebar...Then they say they are examining daily and repairing with better quality Asphalt when needed....As always either a case of misreporting or there lying and making stuff up..Asphalt is not and never will be reinforced concrete . Why am I not surprised. And yet IATA say that repairs have been carried out with Tarmac ...who's lying ??!!

Renovation works will be completed in 2017

So by international standards the airport will remain, after being so for the last 20 months since the coup, out of compliance with safety regulations for another year. Suvarnabhumi Airport traffic should be immediately restricted for domestic arrivals only until the renovation is complete.

Renovation works will be completed in 2017

So by international standards the airport will remain, after being so for the last 20 months since the coup, out of compliance with safety regulations for another year. Suvarnabhumi Airport traffic should be immediately restricted for domestic arrivals only until the renovation is complete.

Or possibly it was out of compliance previous to 2014 and it was the coup that forced AOT to ACTUALLY do the work required with an allocated budget! As someone else mentioned would have probably been better to NOT have built it on a swamp in the first place!

All according to plan. Build it poorly the first time, get to rebuild for more. Bigger contracts more graft.

Go see some of the Hotel/restaurant villages that popped up nearby. Kilometres of paving bricks laid on a substrate

of uncompressed sand. Within months deteriorated into what resembled a boulder field.

So they first of all state that taxiways and aprons will be repaired by concrete including rebar...Then they say they are examining daily and repairing with better quality Asphalt when needed....As always either a case of misreporting or there lying and making stuff up..Asphalt is not and never will be reinforced concrete . Why am I not surprised. And yet IATA say that repairs have been carried out with Tarmac ...who's lying ??!!

Thing you're mixing up AOT and IATA. But you're right.....someone is telling porkies.....i know who money is on.

Taksin was told never to build it there in the first place. It is a swamp.

London Heathrow airport which is the 3rd biggest in the world is built on what was a swamp in the 1920's.

But they do something special to keep it operational; very technical, but I think it is called maintenance.

No, they state the renovation work will be done with concrete including rebar. Repairs identified by daily inspections will continue to be done with asphalt but using a higher quality asphalt.

You do know the difference between renovation and repair, don't you?

TH

Edited by thaihome

No, they state the renovation work will be done with concrete including rebar. Repairs identified by daily inspections will continue to be done with asphalt but using a higher quality asphalt.

You do know the difference between renovation and repair, don't you?

TH

Renovation is what Yuppies do to houses they have bought for resale.

Repairs are what the new buyers of these houses have to do to keep them from falling down.

I wonder who "owned" the swamp? Made some good money I guess?

But if Heathrow can cope perhaps, only just perhaps, AOT could learn how? Without losing "face"? A big call, I know. coffee1.gif

I wonder who "owned" the swamp? Made some good money I guess?

But if Heathrow can cope perhaps, only just perhaps, AOT could learn how? Without losing "face"? A big call, I know. coffee1.gif

The land was purchased in 1973. Thaksi was just graduating from police cadet school at that time.

TH