Thai Cabinet extends foreigners' work permit to 2 years

webfact

Cabinet extends foreigners’ work permit to 2 years

BANGKOK, 24 February 2016 (NNT) – The Cabinet has approved the extension of the work permit for foreign nationals to two years while giving employers four months to bring their workers to apply for the document.

Director-General of the Department of Employment Arak Prommanee revealed that Cabinet approval has been granted to the proposal of the committee in charge of foreign labor management policies to have the life of foreign workers’ temporary work permit, or the pink card, extended from one year to two years.

As a result, workers whose permits will expire on March 31, 2016 will be allowed to stay in the Kingdom for two more years, pending the nationality verification process. To apply for the new permit, employers will be required to take their foreign employees to report themselves at registration spots designated by the Department of Employment within 120 days from April 1.

The Cabinet also assigned the Department of Employment to adopt regulations in support of the permit extension within 120 days, with consideration to be given to the prevention of foreign labor shortage, national security, prevention of permanent residency, assurance of workers’ protection and establishment of an efficient management system.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-24 footer_n.gif

Sounds like a welcome move for many, but "Prevention of permanent residency"?

We can't have them obtaining permanent residency because then they'll claim benefits. Oh, hang on. There are none.

So I guess the real reason is we don't want them enjoying the freedoms and rights of Thais. Oh, hang on.............

" Permanent residency "

Maybe it means the time spent on the work permit does not go to qualify towards the time needed to apply for the expensive procedure to obtain one of the 100 they give out each year permanent residences, after the years and years with continuous visa sequential stamps, I am only guessing , as so many things with red tape it is there to confound me and you !

Now if they can scrap that annoying 90 day reporting..

How can you have a 2 year work permit without a 2 year visa?

If you have to renew the visa every 12 months what is the point of having a 2 year work permit?

This report is regarding migrant (aka slave waged) laborers', " pink card" although it certainly does not make that clear.

Now if they can scrap that annoying 90 day reporting..

How can you have a 2 year work permit without a 2 year visa?

If you have to renew the visa every 12 months what is the point of having a 2 year work permit?

This report is regarding migrant (aka slave waged) laborers', " pink card" although it certainly does not make that clear.

Nothing on Aliens.

My employers asked for a two year work permit for me in November and I got one. I am on a non-O marriage visa. Maybe the officer in charge didn't notice.

I have heard of 2 year WP before. I am of the impression " experts" can gain them, does this fit your situation?

My employers asked for a two year work permit for me in November and I got one. I am on a non-O marriage visa. Maybe the officer in charge didn't notice.

I have heard of 2 year WP before. I am of the impression " experts" can gain them, does this fit your situation?

I'm a writer and university lecturer. So not really. Seems I am not alone and this has been going for a while. Maybe the cabinet was unaware as it is strange that this is news.

Topic from 2009 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/236262-two-year-work-permit/

From 2010:

For how long will your work permit be valid?

Under the former Working of Aliens Act of 1971 the validity of work permits was limited up to 1 year. Furthermore the validity of the work permit was tied to the visa period. Under the new act the work permit may be valid up to two years and the validity of your work permit will no longer be tied to the duration of your visa. If you do not have a one year visa you will not need to renew your work permit after every visa run as before. But you will still need to have a valid visa to stay in Thailand

http://www.thailandpropertydoctor.com/2010/06/09/working-thailand-work-permits/

Working of Aliens Act B.E .2551

Section 21. Permits issued under this Act shall be valid for two years from the date of issue, except that the permit issued to an alien under Section 12 shall be valid for the period he has been permitted to engage to work in the Kingdom under such laws.

Ok, i am confused,

So if i have WP expiring this year, does that mean i can automatically extend it by one more year or when i re-apply i can get 2 years?

Yeah, me too. My permit is up for renewal at the end of May (UK citizen). Does this mean I can get a 2 year permit from then..??

What about my visa, that's only valid for 1 year, how would that work..??

Confused Dot Com!

This part is key "foreign workers temporary work permit, or the pink card, extended from one year to two years."....

Who here has a pink card ?

I dont have one as my work permit is not temporary. I suspect this is only for labour hire from surround countries.

Edited by Don Mega

This part is key "foreign workers temporary work permit, or the pink card, extended from one year to two years."....

Who here has a pink card ?

I dont have one as my work permit is not temporary. I suspect this is only for labour hire from surround countries.

Perhaps making way for the AEC.

Seems like that maybe aimed at people from other Asian countries who wont require a visa soon under the Asean agreements to enter Thailand, also explains the "prevent residency" aspect.

Or is it really in regard to foreign labour working on building sites, fishing etc., rather than professional foreign workers?