Thai Health Ministry to curb road accidents ahead of Songkran Festival

webfact

Public Health Ministry to curb road accidents ahead of Songkran Festival

BANGKOK, 24 February 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Disease Control (DDC) is ready to introduce three measures to curb road fatalities ahead of the Songkran Festival.

According to the DDC Director, Dr. Amnuay Gajeena, the department has recently hosted a forum on road accident prevention. In attendance were representatives from police and army units, as well as the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

The DDC is also planning an opinion survey on road safety during long holiday periods. Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in Asia and the second highest in the world. Road accidents are most frequent during the famous water festival.

In the past five years, nearly 2,000 people were killed, while more than 134,000 were injured during the seven-day festivities, which translates to a daily average of nearly 60 deaths and more than 3,800 injured.

Dr. Amnuay said these figures were double that of any period in the same year. Most accidents took place between 2:00pm – 8:00pm, with a spike in accidents on April 13th, the first day of the festival. The majority of those injured were found to be motorcyclists driving under the influence.

Deaths and injuries were highest among young adults ages 20 - 24 and teenagers ages 15 - 16. The DDC Director said drunk driving, sleep deprivation, and using a mobile phone were the main causes of the accidents.

It was found that communities that successfully curbed road fatalities adopted three measures. They included identifying and communicating with risk groups, establishing a community-wide agreement, and deploying volunteers to monitor the roads.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-24 footer_n.gif

Shouldn't they be doing their best to cancel sonogram due to the water shortage? Their checkpoints are only good for getting the coppers more drinking money. Road fatalities are still at their highest so their are still too many getting through drunk driving and driving illegally. They should attach an army squad to each checkpoint to ensure everyone gets checked and arrested, need be. Without a chance to get through by paying fined/ collection plates!

The annual exercise of hot air and BS. Strict enforcement and appropriate punishments seem beyond their understanding.

As for the volunteers to monitor the road, if they're anything likes the ones I see every year it seems the only thing they volunteer for is to sit around under cover and do absolutely nothing.

Edited by Caveat Emptor

Don't ride your motorcycle whilst" under the influence" then.

Actually i prefer not to ride my motorcycle much during songkran, there are always idiots that think its a good idea to throw a bucket of water on a riding motorcycle. I have seen people have accidents because of it. You see pickups with big drums of water riding and throwing water.. but doing that on a moving motorcycle is dangerous.

Anyway I still like songkran but there are just idiots that make it dangerous.

According to the DDC Director, Dr. Amnuay Gajeena, the department has recently hosted a forum on road accident prevention. In attendance were representatives from police and army units, as well as the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

The DDC is also planning an opinion survey on road safety during long holiday periods. Thailand has the highest rate of road fatalities in Asia and the second highest in the world. Road accidents are most frequent during the famous water festival.

So they held a forum and are going to do a survey. Wow....that is indeed some pretty aggressive actions to curb road accidents. Keep up the good work. whistling.gif

Like a complete moron I drove to Roi Et at the same time as every other person that lives in Isaan at songkran. I was taking the GF to her village.

Never ever ever again. How I am still here to type this is a miracle, I refused to drive back until the rest of the mad assed idiots had gone back to being motorbike taxi drivers/moochers/hookers/ sharks/factory workers/ scamster what ever ?

I returned along highways and byways covered in painted white outlines of accident after accident. North of Korat was a mosaic of white on black tar, on both sides of the highway.

If any one comes on Thai Visa and types that they should do this and that to sort the problem - forget it. They could care less about what you and I think.

Pesonally, I cabin up and never go out - if they turn themselves into squished tomatoes on the roads, I care not a jot, which is actually a lot more than they care about me when I or any other foreigner ventures forth.....

There is no hope for this country as no one seems to know, or understand, their responsibilities.

The Department of Disease Control is now tackling road safety and accident prevention. blink.png Surely that is a job for the police. No?

I notice there's no suggestion that the police might do something to help then.

There is no hope for this country as no one seems to know, or understand, their responsibilities.

The Department of Disease Control is now tackling road safety and accident prevention. blink.png Surely that is a job for the police. No?

I notice there's no suggestion that the police might do something to help then.

The police sells beer/whiskey during songkran, very convenient sir!

I just came home and have seen 3 accidents around kanchana phisek ringroad....we don't need songkran to see accidents in BKK

Why do they just keep playing the same old record again and again. They always come out just before any big festival and spew the same old crap and nothing is ever fixed. I know what I will be doing this Songkran and that will be to stay in my home until the stupid water throwing will have stopped around 6pm. It's about time that they took road safety seriously all year round not just when they know that there will be more idiots riding/driving around footloose and fancy free. I was hoping they were going to down grade the sizes of Songkran this year considering the lack of water but I guess not. It just looks like it will be another bad year for the farmers with no flipping water for their crops...............so very Buddhist of the Thai people, to not give a crap about anyone else but themselves.

Why do they just keep playing the same old record again and again. They always come out just before any big festival and spew the same old crap and nothing is ever fixed. I know what I will be doing this Songkran and that will be to stay in my home until the stupid water throwing will have stopped around 6pm. It's about time that they took road safety seriously all year round not just when they know that there will be more idiots riding/driving around footloose and fancy free. I was hoping they were going to down grade the sizes of Songkran this year considering the lack of water but I guess not. It just looks like it will be another bad year for the farmers with no flipping water for their crops...............so very Buddhist of the Thai people, to not give a crap about anyone else but themselves.

"Why do they just keep playing the same old record again and again."

Because they believe their own B/S

If there were world championship prizes for talking then Thailand would win gold for every category. They will never change things by talking, only make things worse. Year on year the deaths are rising and will continue to do so. The only decent places to be at Songkran are inside your home or out of the country.

BANGKOK, 24 February 2016 (NNT) - The Department of Disease Control (DDC) is ready to introduce three measures to curb road fatalities ahead of the Songkran Festival.

I've always been lured to premise that headline should be explained in the narrative whistling.gif

1) Eliminate Dengue Driving

2) Stop Zirca sap-pee-ding

3) ??? help me out folks

Actually i prefer not to ride my motorcycle much during songkran, there are always idiots that think its a good idea to throw a bucket of water on a riding motorcycle. I have seen people have accidents because of it. You see pickups with big drums of water riding and throwing water.. but doing that on a moving motorcycle is dangerous.

Agreed, the mighty Yamaha 110cc gets put away for the week.

I also quite like Songkran, although I do try to avoid the warriors in their pickups with the drums of water. I do get quite short with the farangs with the huge water pistols who think its fun to blast me because I am an older farang. Thankfully there are not too many of them in Chiang Rai. Chiang Mai I understand is like the battle of the Somme, but without the laughs!

Same headlines, same plan, same orders, every year. And we still get a disgraceful road toll, that in other counties would qualify the departmental heads, (in what-ever government department governs these so-called plans), to get the chop.

Edited by Mot Dang

I must have missed something but surely road safety is for the police not the Department of Disease Control?

I think you have missed something. The police have been responsible for this for a long time but have been to put it politely less than effective. I think last year the chanting monks were brought in somewhere to ward off evil spirits (and collect a few baht of course). I can't see the Department of Disease Control doing any worse can you?

Agreed, the mighty Yamaha 110cc gets put away for the week.

I also quite like Songkran, although I do try to avoid the warriors in their pickups with the drums of water. I do get quite short with the farangs with the huge water pistols who think its fun to blast me because I am an older farang. Thankfully there are not too many of them in Chiang Rai. Chiang Mai I understand is like the battle of the Somme, but without the laughs!

I'm sure that last sentence is highly inappropriate but I found it impossible not to laugh.