Thai CDC has denied claims of higher power above elected government

webfact

CDC has denied claims of higher power above elected government

BANGKOK, 26 February 2016 (NNT) – The Constitution Drafting Commission has denied claims that the new charter will include a higher power to control any elected government.

CDC Chairman Meechai Ruchupan said that he has already met with Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam to discuss the Cabinet’s proposal to divide the enforcement of the new Constitution into two separate periods.

Mr. Meechai said that the CDC has made it clear that all elected governments under the new charter will not have to worry about insufficient power or anything above them after they take office.

He stated that, once a new government is elected, the current administration and the National Council for Peace and Order will need to step down and cease to exit.

The CDC Chairman also denied that the charter drafters were considering a proposal to allow the present government and the NCPO to remain in office for five more years to ensure the political transition would go smoothly and the new government would be able to achieve the national reform process.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-26 footer_n.gif

the power is the charter itself and the enforcement of law - a concept that will be new to many

You have been writing the same thing for weeks now, since the day after the new charter was produced. I asked you then, and you ignored it, so i will try again.

What in the new charter do you keep alluding to, which is going to keep politicians in check, and what is this sudden change in law enforcement which is going to do it?

In that case, how will the Junta ensure that the next Govt follow their 20 year roadmap to enlightenment?

Assuming enough support within the military there's no reason why another coup couldn't be staged. This could happen in any country as lots of guns and tanks are always more powerful than laws. What prevents it is a mixture of rules of government agreed by all sides and a population that has sufficient numbers who are willing to speak out and vote against actions of governments based on more than just narrow self interest.

I don't know what would happen in the UK if it were faced with the type of government that was in place before the last coup but I doubt it would get much support. Our constitutional monarchies are very similar in many ways including the age of the monarch and their families. I could see the king getting broad support if he were in the UK as the queen does. Both monarchies and the UK one in particular survive due to this support. What wouldn't be tolerated would be the compulsion to support without question or the use of the monarch to suppress opposition.

I think the Thai military will need the perceived threat of a takeover to stop a future government overturning their plans or subjecting the leaders to judicial action. The imposition of martial law was legally sound as far as I know but the coup seems a bit more complex as it involves the power of parliament to control laws and the definition of parliament.

The immediate effect of the coup was an end to the protests and violence plus the removal of the cause of those protests. Even now regardless of the suppression of the rights of people to protest and criticise the country is generally peaceful. The coup and the military rule is more likely to be accepted if the result is a better reformed system. This needs input from all sides including negative views and it must include politicians as they will have to work within it. At the moment I don't see this happening which could lead to problems later.

once a new government is elected, the current administration and the National Council for Peace and Order will need to step down and cease to exit.

But the draft will not explicitly state this provision and ....

"the new constitution allows the Constitutional Court to be the one solving political crisis."

Backdoor for the NCPO to regain control.