ID Card for farangs

1 minute ago, SS1 said:

Can anyone advise what I need to do to get the pink ID card? I have a work permit, but I've understood that this is not enough to get it. Currently I am renting a condo but next month my girlfriend is buying one and I'm moving there. If she puts me into the house book, does this mean I can get the ID? 

You need a yellow house book to get a a pink ID card. After your girl friend gets her blue house book you can get a yellow house book based upon it with her permission.

• Like 1

I just want to mention a small incident at the transport department. I tried to use the pink id card to apply for a driving license. The first officer refused it and insist to see my passport that I didn't take that day because I thought the id card would be enough. I thought the officer was just a trouble maker but I didn't have choice than go back home and come back the next day with my passport.

The officer I met the next day actually confirm that what the first officer said was right. The pink id card is issued to people who don't qualify for the Thai id card, including stateless minorities, so it is a bit of a mess. Therefore to make things clear and easy when dealing with the administration you always need to show your passport with current visa.

On the other hand they were happy to accept my yellow book instead of the usually required residence certificate.

1 hour ago, JohnnyJazz said:

I just want to mention a small incident at the transport department. I tried to use the pink id card to apply for a driving license. The first officer refused it and insist to see my passport that I didn't take that day because I thought the id card would be enough. I thought the officer was just a trouble maker but I didn't have choice than go back home and come back the next day with my passport.

The officer I met the next day actually confirm that what the first officer said was right. The pink id card is issued to people who don't qualify for the Thai id card, including stateless minorities, so it is a bit of a mess. Therefore to make things clear and easy when dealing with the administration you always need to show your passport with current visa.

On the other hand they were happy to accept my yellow book instead of the usually required residence certificate.

Again depends what area mine accept ID cards (pink) plus yellow book for proof of ID.

5 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Again depends what area mine accept ID cards (pink) plus yellow book for proof of ID.

So are you saying you need your pink i/d plus yellow housebook at the same time as proof of identity, or one or the other will cover equally as i/d?

^

The id card or passport is to confirm your identity, who you are.

The yellow book is a proof of residence, to confirm where you live. In Thailand the land transport department usually ask for a  certificate of residence as most foreigners don't have this yellow book. In other countries the administration generally asks for a recent utility invoice at your name.

These are two different matters

Edited by JohnnyJazz

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

No I used ID card in place of passport and yellow book for proof of address 

Thanks, i am going through the "pink i/d process" at the moment after having obtained a yellow book which has taken about 6 wks, pick up friday 10th Feb.,this is in Sattahip, then all out for the pinky!

On 2/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, maxcorrigan said:

Thanks, i am going through the "pink i/d process" at the moment after having obtained a yellow book which has taken about 6 wks, pick up friday 10th Feb.,this is in Sattahip, then all out for the pinky!

Six weeks ? And I was complaining that I had to wait for two hours because they insisted to take a lunch break !!!

On 2/9/2017 at 1:34 PM, JohnnyJazz said:

Six weeks ? And I was complaining that I had to wait for two hours because they insisted to take a lunch break !!!

That was for the yellow house book, i did not have one, you need this for the pink one which i get on tuesday, all being well!

On 26/2/2016 at 8:28 AM, steven100 said:

any benefits come with the card ?

I consider my Passport as my official ID.

No benefits. the only things that can come out of that is maybe getting thai price at national parks, as I found out recently they don't applies thai price anymore when you show only the driving licence...wonder when I will have enough of this "country" an looks for some place better for stay, that at least threat people that brings money here and dn't cause any problem, with some respect

On 19/2/2017 at 5:54 AM, Andrew65 said:

You might check that your UK photo card license is still valid, if you want to drive in the UK. Apparently the first 2 year Thai licence is temporary and not a valid document in the UK, a bit like a provisional licence.

once you get it for one year and expires, then you can renew it for 5. when you old a 5 years thai driving licence you can apply for a international driving licence fron thailand

9 hours ago, Nerone said:

once you get it for one year and expires, then you can renew it for 5. when you old a 5 years thai driving licence you can apply for a international driving licence fron thailand

I think the new first-time licence is now 2 years.

On 1/10/2017 at 4:52 PM, thedemon said:

I believe that they are in a different category (because their ID number doesn't start with a 6) so have a different set of sequence numbers.

The local migrants ID number start with 001 is not same as us start with a 6.

I went to the bank to open a new bank account using the Non-Thai ID (Pink Card) and the bank officer accepted my application without asking my passport or Yellow Tabien Baan (House Registration). The bank officer open the bank account under Thai saving basic requirements that is 1,000 baht.

The Non-Thai ID is quite useful in Thailand but we still need to apply for visa to stay in Thailand/

I'm thinking about requesting a yellow book so that I can get a pink ID. I have the list of requirements from Pattaya City Hall. It says that my passport and my birth certificate must have translations certified by the MFA. 

Are there local alternatives? Can I do this without going up to Bangkok?    

Is there anything that absolutely must be certified by the US Embassy? Their outreach will be in Pattaya on March 3rd.

This has just been posted on the Khon Kaen Forum:-

"Just FYI:  the national 'Falang' ID card program has been discontinued according to the senior supervisor at the Khonkaen ID office".

http://khonkaenforum.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=bf5914c65f0607e5f961c7039e1cf55b&topic=779.msg3766;topicseen#new     

Has anybody else heard anything similar?

If true - didn't last long, did it? Wonder what the consequences might be for those of us who already have the card.

9 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

I'm thinking about requesting a yellow book so that I can get a pink ID. I have the list of requirements from Pattaya City Hall. It says that my passport and my birth certificate must have translations certified by the MFA. 

Are there local alternatives? Can I do this without going up to Bangkok?    

Is there anything that absolutely must be certified by the US Embassy? Their outreach will be in Pattaya on March 3rd.

If you are married, Pattaya City Hall will accept those MFA certified documents in lui of Passport and Birth cert translation. They are looking for a translation of yours and parents names, the marriage Docs contain both.

The passport option can only be done in Bangkok and now MFA require a  certified document from your consulate that your passport is genuine. 

Also, if you own a condo, check that the mfa translation of your name is the same as the translation on your chanote (done phonetically), I had to go back to the land office and change the chanote name as it was slightly different and didnt match yellow book.

Edited by Peterw42

Thanks, UJ. 

It's not the office I used for my card (I'm 80km further south) but, according to posters on KK Forum, KK amphur has been very easy to deal with in getting the pink ID cards.

Perhaps as you suggest, a bit of Lazyitis creeping in. 

Edited by MartinL

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just nonsense from some bureaucrat that does not want to issue the card.

They would have to rescind the registration act of 2008 to stop doing the cards that allows for them.

The cards have been possible for much longer than most people are aware of.

I have been confirmed from my best friend working in Chiangmai government as a Snr officials that the " Pink Thai ID card " is still on going in Thailand. So if anyone who's thinking to apply this pink IDENTITY can get it done as long as you have a valid passport and a Thai yellow house book, good luck to you guys, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 2:29 AM, Nerone said:

No benefits. the only things that can come out of that is maybe getting thai price at national parks, as I found out recently they don't applies thai price anymore when you show only the driving licence...wonder when I will have enough of this "country" an looks for some place better for stay, that at least threat people that brings money here and dn't cause any problem, with some respect

According to another poster, it doubles as proof of address, saving a visit to emigration too get a free ( which always seems to cost) proof of residency for driving license etc. which only lasts for one month, not tried it yet though!

On 27/02/2017 at 9:48 AM, mahjongguy said:

We know that the Jomtien Land Transport office does not accept yellow books. Does anyone know if they accept the pink ID card?

As far as I know, the Yellow book is accepted by Banglamung Land and Transport Office for driving licence renewal / car transfer etc. I know of several people who have used them in the past as proof of residency, in fact one of them was with a Yellow book from Surin and this was accepted no problem at all, has something changed?

• Like 1