ID Card for farangs

39 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I obtained a pink Thai ID card from my local Amphoe in esan yesterday having been given a yellow Tabianban a few days ago.  Whilst at Krabi last week we went to Poda Island and I paid 400bt national park fee and wifie paid 40bt.  I asked a park ranger what I would be charged if I had a Thai ID card and he said 40bt. My question is, has anyone tried to use a pink ID card to get the Thai price for national parks?

Did you specifically mention the Pink ID card or is it likely the ranger assumed you meant a Thai national's blue ID card?

I've not tried my pink card for a NP yet but a private attraction in Buriram province gave me Thai price on production of my pink card. In fact, the ticket seller asked for it as in "Do you have an ID card or (Thai) DL?". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MartinL said:

Did you specifically mention the Pink ID card or is it likely the ranger assumed you meant a Thai national's blue ID card?

I've not tried my pink card for a NP yet but a private attraction in Buriram province gave me Thai price on production of my pink card. In fact, the ticket seller asked for it as in "Do you have an ID card or (Thai) DL?". 

At the time I don't know the farang ID was a different colour so he may well have assumed I was talking about a blue card.  So my on the ground research is pretty inconclusive.

One other thing occurred to me whilst reading a broucher at the bank about the governments deposit protection scheme. The scheme excludes non residents.  Not sure what constitutes a resident but if you have a pink ID card I am guessing that you would qualify under the scheme.  This could be important if your local bank has its licence removed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 6:48 PM, Tilacme said:

One other thing occurred to me whilst reading a broucher at the bank about the governments deposit protection scheme. The scheme excludes non residents.  Not sure what constitutes a resident but if you have a pink ID card I am guessing that you would qualify under the scheme.  This could be important if your local bank has its licence removed.

This is something I've never seen mentioned previously.

I've read that deposits in a foreign currency and not in baht are not protected under the Government's guarantee for deposits (up to a certain amount).

But I've never seen it mentioned that non residents depositing in a Thai bank in baht are excluded from the protection.

Is this correct? For all banks?

Edited by JimmyJ

Mine starts with 6.... not a PR....the debate no benefit for with that status.  I know a step for Thai citizenship.   However, I used this for the plane and most times when an ID is needed.

I used my Thai DL as well.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

This is something I've never seen mentioned previously.

I've read that deposits in a foreign currency and not in baht are not protected under the Government's guarantee for deposits (up to a certain amount).

But I've never seen it mentioned that non residents depositing in a Thai bank in baht are excluded from the protection.

Is this correct? For all banks?

It is not correct. It is a bit confusing, but informnation can be found on the deposit protection agency website.  http://www.dpa.or.th

From their faq, a few things are excluded. that are indeed foreign currency accounts and non-resident baht accounts which fall under the exchange control act. That are not the regular savings accounts, but accounts specifically opened for trading.

http://www.dpa.or.th/download/pdf/DPA-FAQ-EN0716.pdf  (question 7)

The answer to question 10 specifically states that savings accounts of foreigners are protected same as for Thai nationals.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, sinbin said:

Got my Pink Card today. What benefits it will give me has yet to be defined. It's free, so nothing lost in obtaining one.

Had mine for 2 months now and its great.  I have used it at super rich, bank, hotels and thai smile.  Thais say passport please and I say have Thai ID card.  It is always received with surprise and a big smile although most have never seen one.  It shows you are not a here today gone tomorrow farang.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 8:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have removed the image of your ID card. Although in Thai it contains a lot of personal info. Plataea edit it and and post again.

The ID card has been available for some time now but not all Amphoes will do them.

my amphoe wouldnt look at me if i explained and asked for one; they would do the usual in such cases: ask me for a letter from my embassy; then complain it wasnt in thai ; they are NOT amenable to anything that requires work on their part in dealing with farang; it is actually a consideration in my current move to another province

2 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

my amphoe wouldnt look at me if i explained and asked for one; they would do the usual in such cases: ask me for a letter from my embassy; then complain it wasnt in thai ; they are NOT amenable to anything that requires work on their part in dealing with farang; it is actually a consideration in my current move to another province

Ask to see the head man of the Amphur in that case.

18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Where do you live?

When I first asked at the Amphur the girl on reception said I couldn't have one, said that pink cards were only available for Cambodian and Laos workers staying in Thailand. Even after I explained that other farangs had already been issued with one she still said 'not available', I couldn't seem to get past her.

So I asked here on Thai Visa if anyone had any info on the rules and UbonJoe supplied a copy of the relevant Government Civil Registration rules, written in Thai. I got a Thai friend to highlight the parts that confirmed any foreigner was entitled to a pink card and took that back to the Amphur receptionist, who looked rather guilty before directing me to the correct desk. At the desk I was told I needed to make an appointment for about a week ahead, even though Thais were getting their new ID cards straight away. More problems I thought but no, the delay was because they needed an English speaker to be present and the only one available was away for the next week. Went back the following week and was issued with my card straight away.

And I didn't need any letter from my Embassy.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 2

On 18/3/2560 at 8:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

If the father can get a yellow house book he can then get the ID card. Anybody that has a yellow house book can get one.

Yep IF he still has a Non O visa or extension of stay was my understanding at the tessabaan.

But things changing fast , so i accept ruling if i am wrong

My wife and kids (and myself) all were scrutinized on NON O dependent of extension of stay

Edited by hgma

• 4 months later...

My Pink ID Card and my Thai Driving License  both failed to get me into Doi Inthanon. However stopping a short distance after driving through the entrance gate and then my wife asking for two Thais over sixty seemed to get us in for a 30Baht car fee ....  strange system .......

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't had much luck getting the Thai price with my pink card but it (or at least the ID number) did allow me to register PromptPay with my Thai Citizen's ID as well as my mobile number. Kasikorn told me it couldn't be done by a foreigner, but Thanachart and CIMB - which both had my ID on file - allowed it via app and online banking respectively. As soon as I selected "National ID" my own ID popped up automatically. PromptPay is very useful for moving money between different banks with no or low fees, and for getting a quick tax refund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orientalist said:

I haven't had much luck getting the Thai price with my pink card but it (or at least the ID number) did allow me to register PromptPay with my Thai Citizen's ID as well as my mobile number. Kasikorn told me it couldn't be done by a foreigner, but Thanachart and CIMB - which both had my ID on file - allowed it via app and online banking respectively. As soon as I selected "National ID" my own ID popped up automatically. PromptPay is very useful for moving money between different banks with no or low fees, and for getting a quick tax refund.

That is interesting since KBank, LH Bank, and Bangkok Bank all said I could not use my pink card id number for Promptpay and all attempts give me a response that my id number is not allowed. They also refuse to add to my account information. I guess I need to ask more questions. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I had the same story from Kasikorn, but I opened my accounts with them when I was working and had a work permit, so they don't have my Thai ID on file. With Thanachart, I also opened accounts with my work permit but later they insisted on a Thai ID for opening some fixed deposit accounts, so they had my Thai ID in their system. With CIMB, I opened my accounts after retiring and they insisted on seeing my tabien baan, so they have the ID on file. Perhaps the key is they must have insisted on linking at least one account to your Thai ID for it to be in their system.

While it is easy to apply for PromptPay with Citizen's ID online, I found it a hassle to cancel it. I had to go in to a Thanachart branch and wait 30 minutes while a form was filled out, my bank book and ID were copied, and multiple authorisations sought. So it's best to figure out your PromptPay strategy before you go ahead. The Thanachart e-savings account offers 1.80% interest with no tax deducted if linked to PromptPay. They also have a promo offering 300 baht cashback if you get a tax refund via a PromptPay with them this February (2018).

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 8:31 PM, Tilacme said:

I obtained a pink Thai ID card from my local Amphoe in esan yesterday having been given a yellow Tabianban a few days ago.  Whilst at Krabi last week we went to Poda Island and I paid 400bt national park fee and wifie paid 40bt.  I asked a park ranger what I would be charged if I had a Thai ID card and he said 40bt. My question is, has anyone tried to use a pink ID card to get the thai price for national parks?

I tried almost 8 National Parks in Chiang Mai using pink Thai ID Card and I paid the same rate with Thai.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 2:57 PM, JAS21 said:

My Pink ID Card and my Thai Driving License  both failed to get me into Doi Inthanon. However stopping a short distance after driving through the entrance gate and then my wife asking for two Thais over sixty seemed to get us in for a 30Baht car fee ....  strange system .......

I am able to get to Doi Inthanon on 14 Jan using pink Thai ID Card and paying Thai price.

55 minutes ago, macgver said:

I am able to get to Doi Inthanon on 14 Jan using pink Thai ID Card and paying Thai price.

Ah ... MrsJ asked at the lowest level, the one where you go off  to the left to see the waterfall and was told no, she didn't pay anything there as she said we will just have a quick looksee... however at the next entrance, the first one on the main road she just said two Thais over 60 ... and she just paid 30thb for the car ...............

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/26/2016 at 12:28 PM, steven100 said:

any benefits come with the card ?

I consider my Passport as my official ID.

Agree. Anything else adds hassle. Just another card that could be faked. Let's stick with chipped passport. I can't handle beuracracy. I'm allergic to offices. I break out in a sweat.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 1:27 PM, Rhys said:

Mine starts with 6.... not a PR....the debate no benefit for with that status.  I know a step for Thai citizenship.   However, I used this for the plane and most times when an ID is needed.

I used my Thai DL as well.

You don't need the pink non-Thai ID card to get citizenship.

They are not for farang but any non Thai. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, Peterw42 said:

You are leaving out the main benefit, you no longer need to get a resident certificate from immigration, "every time" you need to show address.

A yellow book does that as does a work permit.

A Thai driver's licence is ID for getting planes, hotels etc.

Personally this pink card for foreigners reminds me of Jews wearing a good gold star.

No idea why the OP is proud to have one.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Personally this pink card for foreigners reminds me of Jews wearing a good gold star.

Yellow book and ID are pretty much the same thing, 99% of the ID is getting a yellow book, the yellow book process generates the citizen number, name in Thai etc, the ID is a 5 min (printing) process after yellow book, with all the same details.

I think you will find with recent WP changes, they no longer have an address. There have already been a couple of threads with people not being able to use to get license etc.

Yes, you can use license as ID for some things. Thats a chicken or egg thing as you needed a resident cert/yellow book etc to get the license in the first place.

Yellow book/ID is your ID in Thai, if you use it to get a license/open a bank account the Account name/license name is is in Thai script as per the yellow book/ID. A bank account in Thai name and passport/license is no longer accepted as thats your name in English.

ID isnt everything, just another document you can use for certain things, and its usually accepted instead of going down to immigration to get yet another res cert. Have used ID 5-6 times to get the Thai price at places, its great for that sort of thing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thai price at places, its great for that sort of thing.

I think that it is useful for foreigners who don't work, can't speak Thai, and go to many national parks a year and can't afford the $10.

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You carry the yellow book with you, or your work permit at all times? I find the small pink hard easier to carry in the wallet.

Hotels and airlines are not allowed to accept the DL as ID any more, even though most do. Having the pink ID is being on the safe side.

And absolutely no, it has nothing to do with the yellow star. In every country, PR's get a different ID from citizens. You are belittling what was happening to the Jews wearing the yellow star if you make a statement like that, but let's not go into that in this thread. Thai people can recognise you as a foreigner without the pink card. You are not a second-class citizen, you are simply not a citizen. If you want to have the same ID card as the Thais, apply for citizenship.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 10:36 AM, orientalist said:

I haven't had much luck getting the Thai price with my pink card but it (or at least the ID number) did allow me to register PromptPay with my Thai Citizen's ID as well as my mobile number. Kasikorn told me it couldn't be done by a foreigner, 

You must be the only foreigner with a Thai ID card!

Interesting that Kasikorn bank don't accept your card.