ID Card for farangs

Got my pink ID card today at my local district office (Talingchan) here in Bangkok.  Piece of cake.   I just handed them my passport, yellow book, Thai drivers license and they did the rest.  I did not have to complete any paperwork but I did have to sign two forms they completed and a ledger book confirming I got my card.  Took about 20 minutes  total with around 18 minutes of that being the four different clerks completing some forms/computer entries/making copies of my passport/yellow book/drivers license, taking my picture and both thumb prints, etc.  All four clerks smiled and were professional during the whole process.   Cost was Bt60 and I was issued a receipt.    The number on the card is the same as the number on my yellow book (starts with a 6).  Yeap, piece of cake.

the ID-card is free of charge.
And you don't need the driver's license.

Maybe they charged you for photocopies, which you should have handed over to them.

I only gave them them drivers license as more proof another Thai govt agency has issued me a form of ID that I have a residence in Thailand. Just lay a bunch I'D I front of them to hopefully give them a warm fuzzy ID-WISE...them let them pick and choose what they want a copy of.

I do the same thing when opening a new bank account...show them my passport, yellow book and Thai drivers license...they have never asked for a residence certificate or any additional ID or docs from the embassy. They do ask if I happen to have a work permit...I just say no as I'm retired...then they continue on in opening an account. And in the future I'll now be showing my pink ID card.

I stopped by our local poling site this morning, my wife is a helper there today.

Went up to one of the tables and flashed my pink non-Thai ID card, one of the gals started looking through the list of voters for my name, then the wife saw what I was doing and told me, jokingly, I hope, to get out of dodge....  Guess the other worker hadn't seen one of these before.

Mac

On 8/5/2016 at 3:57 PM, mark5335 said:

I inquired about getting a pink ID Card at Wattana District in Bangkok today. Unfortunately they required more paper work than the Yannawa and Talingchan Districts (posts #231/233 above), so I'll have to go back again with the additional documents. The additional requirements are passport copy must be certified by my embassy, and need a copy of my work permit.

Since a work permit is required it seems that Wattana don't intend issuing the ID Cards to retiree farangs.

I got mine today @ Chomthong district. The documents required were:

1. Original yellow book

2. Original passport

- they asked for work permit, did not have original so asked office to fax a copy -(they had a bit of internal discussion if they need it or not). Then they asked about blood group, religion, thumb prints, took a photo, paid 60 THB against receipt and got my card. Waiting about 50 min (lots of people in the morning) + 30 min discussion with officers and waiting for the card.

Not sure how useful it will be, but will see :)

I got mine today at Banglamung. Went there with blue book, yellow book, and passport.

It was straight understood what I came for, and the documents were printed out of the computer, using the details in my yellow book.

Then the usual " I make new rules on the spot" clerk turned up and said I would need a Thai witness to sign otherwise I could not receive the card.

I told her straight away that she should not make up her own rules, and that if she needed a witness she could sign for it herself, because I don't know anybody in Thailand.

After some back and forward talking with the chief of the administration, it was accepted that no witness was needed.

All by all took 2 hours, lots of copies of all they could think about, all at my expense of course, and the price was 100 Baht without any receipt offered.

Pithy detail : when the id card was finished they asked me to go take a copy of it, sign and hand to them, as if they didn't have a copy of something they just printed out of their own computer.

In Ampur San Sai, Chiang Mai, they requested I return Thursday after 3PM, because they change the program, and then can do my ID. Also, I must have the Thai person who started the House Register with me. We will see later today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 0:40 PM, sumrit said:

I went to the local Amphur in Chonburi this morning, with my wife in tow, to enquire about an ID Card. I'm 65 years old, retired, have lived in Thailand for several years and have my own yellow tabien baan.

First I was told point blank that I wasn't entitled.After saying that I'd been told I was entitled and that it was a pink card I was told they were reserved for Lao and Cambodian people living in Thailand only. After then saying that I knew of several (farang) people who had all been issued with Pink ID Cards at different Amphurs in other parts of Thailand, firstly I was told they were only available to people with work permits then I was told that I might be entitled to a 'white' ID Card but that the person I had to see was on a couple of days holiday so I'd have to come back.

Went back to the Amphur two more times, to again be told by the receptionist I wasn't entitled, then, once I'd shown her the paperwork Ubonjoe supplied and finally got past the receptionist, I was again told the person I needed to see wasn't there and I'd have to come back. Seems they really needed somebody from their office who could speak English and there wasn't anybody available until today.

When I arrived this morning I was 4th in the queue, nobody questioned my entitlement, I just needed my yellow book and passport (they didn't even ask for copies), they took my picture and both thumb prints and I walked out with my ID Card half hour later.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Went back to the Amphur two more times, to again be told by the receptionist I wasn't entitled, then, once I'd shown her the paperwork Ubonjoe supplied and finally got past the receptionist, I was again told the person I needed to see wasn't there and I'd have to come back. Seems they really needed somebody from their office who could speak English and there wasn't anybody available until today.

When I arrived this morning I was 4th in the queue, nobody questioned my entitlement, I just needed my yellow book and passport (they didn't even ask for copies), they took my picture and both thumb prints and I walked out with my ID Card half hour later.

Your experience is not uncommon.

Many of the front line staff at Government departments and Banks are ill informed or poorly trained when it comes to procedures dealing with foreigners.

In many cases you have to be resolute and persistent, and demand to speak to someone in authority, who will usually speak at least broken English, whilst remaining calm and not humiliating the person your dealing with.

At times it really can test your patience.

Congratulations sumrit.

On 8/19/2016 at 11:07 AM, sumrit said:

Thanks for helping pave the way, no problem with reception this morning. My wife was there last week with her niece and said she had seen a foreigner getting an ID card. You are quite right there is only one person that has been trained and if she is not there they don't do them. When I was doing the card she had a bit of a training session with 2 other members of staff and my wife heard one of them say that unless they got someone else that spoke English they still wouldn't be able to deal with the foreigner. It would appear that a while back a falang got an ID card and tried to use it to go to Laos, obviously immigration refused and he went back to Chonburi and complained. She repeated several times that when it came to immigration the ID card was not a substitute for a passport.

The process itself was very simple just a bit slow, about two and a half hours altogether. Apparently as seniors I could have gone straight to the desk, they do not need to go to reception for a queue number. The most surprising thing was the lack of paperwork, although the Thais had some, no forms to fill in, no photocopies and nothing to pay.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

good morning,

my question : does the new farang thai id card entitles the holder to the 30 baht thai national health care scheme at a public hospital in his district???

wbr

roobaa01

No it does not.

Their were reports a few years ago of people getting the card and being able to get health care but those were flukes apparently.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No it does not.

Their were reports a few years ago of people getting the card and being able to get health care but those were flukes apparently.

This obsession with the 30 bht scheme! !! I have been to local doctors and local hospital with both wife (cut hand) and MIL bad chest infection resulting in 2 weeks stay in hospital.  I have never seen this so called 30 bht scheme wife cut hand 250bht MIL 150bht a day in hospital. 

Ps I had occasion to go the the local doctor for a cut leg 5 stich 250bht. No diffrence from wifes costs 

Edited by Deepinthailand

The 30 baht covers a flat rate fee for consultation.

Children under 12, senior citizens over 60, volunteer health workers and the very poor are exempt this fee.

It does not cover hospital stays, operations, or medication, all of which are very cheap anyway.

I am registered with my local Government hospital and on the 3 occasions I've had to use it, I've never paid more than 130 baht which was for consultation, diagnosis and medication.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

The 30 baht covers a flat rate fee for consultation.

Children under 12, senior citizens over 60, volunteer health workers and the very poor are exempt this fee.

It does not cover hospital stays, operations, or medication, all of which are very cheap anyway.

I am registered with my local Government hospital and on the 3 occasions I've had to use it, I've never paid more than 130 baht which was for consultation, diagnosis and medication.

So is my Mil well over 60 and has never had the type of service you say you have.

The pink ID card will not replace having the passport or at least a copy to go with it. The card does not have your permit to stay date on it and that is what the authorities will want to see along will proof your passport is still valid. If they wanted to see your actual passport they can detain you until it is presented.

So may I ask what the benefit is of this pink ID card is if you still need to carry your pp? I like the idea of getting it but I can't figure out what benefits I get.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Robert24 said:

So may I ask what the benefit is of this pink ID card is if you still need to carry your pp? I like the idea of getting it but I can't figure out what benefits I get.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

"...you still need to carry your pp"

A decent, laminated copy of your main passport page, and on the reverse, a copy of your current permission to stay stamp is acceptable according to the Immigration chief.

Carrying one's passport is risky both due to the climate and chance of theft. It is an extremely valuable document.

A laminated copy should be the same size as any I.D. card.

The original passport should always be reasonably accessible if required by police.

• Like 1

I spent Friday night in Udorn at the old Charoen Hotel, did have my passport in my pocket, but pulled out the Thai issued ID card just to see if it'd work.  And, indeed it did, no question about it.  The check-in gal took it to make a copy and clip to the check-in form.  Don't know what she reported about a lack of TM # or date of permit of stay, perhaps the ID copy is sufficient.

Mac

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

I spent Friday night in Udorn at the old Charoen Hotel, did have my passport in my pocket, but pulled out the Thai issued ID card just to see if it'd work.  And, indeed it did, no question about it.  The check-in gal took it to make a copy and clip to the check-in form.  Don't know what she reported about a lack of TM # or date of permit of stay, perhaps the ID copy is sufficient.

Mac

I'd suggest that if they accept you on a Thai ID card they don't put you in the "Report Alien column"?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

good morning,

is it a requirement by thai law that the yellow housebook must be presented in order to obtain the farang thai id card or does it depend on the amphur rules ???can i have it w/o yellow housebook ???

cheersroobaa01

It is a requirement in the regulations. You must have a ID number to get the card and the only way to get the ID number is to apply for a yellow house book.

• Like 1

I don't think it is Thai law that you must have a yellow book, but more a matter of process. 

The pink card has your Thai ID number on it. You get this number by applying for a yellow book.

So no yellow book, no ID number. No ID number, no pink card.

On 2/26/2016 at 3:37 PM, Maestro said:

This seems to indicate that the pink ID card given to Permanent Residents can also be used for foreigners with a permission to stay temporarily in Thailand, but with an ID number starting with 6:

post-32650-0-71072700-1362363451.jpg

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents/?p=6169680#entry6169680

Is it a typo or does number 6 really apply to someone that entered the country "unlawfully?" Surely not.

David

19 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Is it a typo or does number 6 really apply to someone that entered the country "unlawfully?" Surely not.

David

I'm guessing it's those who entered unlawfully but were then granted leave to remain.

My Thai ID starts with a 6 too, as I originally came here "on a "temporary basis"

Digit 9, as a first digit, seems to be reserved for members of the royal family.

On 27/02/2016 at 8:10 AM, ubonjoe said:

The pink ID card will not replace having the passport or at least a copy to go with it. The card does not have your permit to stay date on it and that is what the authorities will want to see along will proof your passport is still valid. If they wanted to see your actual passport they can detain you until it is presented.

I am wondering about something: if you are a Permanent Resident, your Thai ID number starts with an 8, showing your status. Would that then be sufficient and make the passport unnecessary when you present a pink ID card showing such a number?

"Passport unnecessary"?  Hmmm, seems to me that a hotel, bank branch, others, can always ask for your passport, if only because that's what they're used to, and what it says in their instructions.  This ID Card for Farangs, with a 6 or an 8, is pretty new and The Word may well have not yet reached all endusers.

Mac