ID Card for farangs

As far as I know, the Yellow book is accepted by Banglamung Land and Transport Office for driving licence renewal / car transfer etc. I know of several people who have used them in the past as proof of residency, in fact one of them was with a Yellow book from Surin and this was accepted no problem at all, has something changed?

I confirm again that in Chiangmai transport office do accepted our yellow house book.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

As far as I know, the Yellow book is accepted by Banglamung Land and Transport Office for driving licence renewal / car transfer etc. I know of several people who have used them in the past as proof of residency, in fact one of them was with a Yellow book from Surin and this was accepted no problem at all, has something changed?

I have used yellow book recently
at banglamung.
  • Like 1

My wife is Lao, but has a Thai/Foreign ID card........solves a lot of 'stubbornness' when register car or motorcycle on her name, even a bank account is opened quite quickly with this card.

NOT with a Lao passport only!!!Not even with yellow book etc etc.

Children are fairly easy to register for whatever at school, don't need an ED and membership of ZOO and parks are easy accepted.

HGMA

On 26/02/2016 at 6:28 AM, steven100 said:

any benefits come with the card ?

I consider my Passport as my official ID.

I have had my ID card for 6 months now, nothing to do with what visa you have (I got mine on visa exempt) but has everything to do with you having yellow book and permanent place of residence when in Thailand. The holder of the blue book for the residence you wish to register must also complete several sets of documents in support of your application.

As for the benifits;

1. No need to carry passport.

2. Can open bank account.

3. Can buy a car.

4. You are eligible for Thai price where dual pricing exists.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 4:29 PM, Anthony Loh said:

I confirm again that in Chiangmai transport office do accepted our yellow house book.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, they do, but do not use the pink card. Should not matter for registering a vehicle, but you get only a "temporary" 2 years driver license with it, not 5 years.

3 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

I have had my ID card for 6 months now, nothing to do with what visa you have (I got mine on visa exempt) but has everything to do with you having yellow book and permanent place of residence when in Thailand. The holder of the blue book for the residence you wish to register must also complete several sets of documents in support of your application.

As for the benifits;

3. Can buy a car.

1. Never carried mine in 12+ years other than to show it at the bank when doing a transaction.

2. There's other ways to open a bank account.

3. I can buy a car. But better to put in the wife's name IMO

4. You can provide a link showing that?

Edited by sinbin

7 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

As for the benifits;

3. Can buy a car.

Number 1: so far I know it's not a replacement for the passport... but could help on some controll.. better this card than nothing.

Number 2 and 3: you also can buy a car or open a bank account without pink ID card.. but it will help and make it easier

Number 4: this helps only on some places with dual pricing... on other even the ID card not help to pay the cheaper thai price.

What documents are you referring to? The holder of the Blue Book doesn't even need to be there when you apply. Your 'Yellow Book' contains all the info the Amphur need. Other than that they want your thumb print and to photograph you for the card.

Edited by sinbin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

What documents are you referring to? The holder of the Blue Book doesn't even need to be there when you apply. Your 'Yellow Book' contains all the info the Amphur need. Other than that they want your thumb print and to photograph you for the card.

He was writing about the requirements to get a yellow house book not the ID card.

Yes, they do, but do not use the pink card. Should not matter for registering a vehicle, but you get only a "temporary" 2 years driver license with it, not 5 years.

That's because they can't change our passport nos to our pink ID nos in they system, as so need to start all over again as a two years DL and will back to five years for the next renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He was writing about the requirements to get a yellow house book not the ID card.

I didnt/don't read it the same way you do.

I have had my ID card for 6 months .                               

has everything to do with you having yellow book and permanent place of residence when in Thailand.

No such thing as 'permanent place of residence..............' It should be 'current place of residence...............'

28 minutes ago, the guest said:

Your ID is your foreign passport, unless you have Thai citizenship, in which case it's your Thai ID, everything else is not officially recognized.

Your passport is a travel document, it does not say where you live. Yellow book/ID is identification for where you live. You cant get or renew a license with a passport. A yellow book/ID is a government issued and officially recognized.

18 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

As for the benifits;

3. Can buy a car.

You are leaving out the main benefit, you no longer need to get a resident certificate from immigration, "every time" you need to show address.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sinbin said:

What you should really say is that "on the particular day I went to the Amphur and dealt with this particular officer working in this particular office" they only wanted my thumb print and photograph.

Another day, another officer, another Amphur? The requirements can be very different. 

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You are leaving out the main benefit, you no longer need to get a resident certificate from immigration, "every time" you need to show address.

It depends ! Some offices like some DLT's still require a Resident Certificate when renewing licenses and don't care about Yellow Books or Pink ID Cards.

But who is surprised as of course TiT  :thumbsup:

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

What you should really say is that "on the particular day I went to the Amphur and dealt with this particular officer working in this particular office" they only wanted my thumb print and photograph.

Another day, another officer, another Amphur? The requirements can be very different. 

Only if you let the amphur take you for a ride.

The requirements are stipulated by the government. The amphur can ask for additional documents, but then you can ask them to put the reason in writing and this letter must be signed by the neigh amphur. So they will have to explain themselves.

Moreover you can take them to court and if the judge doesn't see any reason to demand extra documents they do have a problem with their superiors and are liable for any damages resulting from their unlawful demands.

That was a tip my old amphur gave me. They explained that many people are afraid of documents in English as they cant read English and also cannot make a translation from English to Thai regarding names. Thus take things with you like a work permit and marriage registration or any other official document with your name in Thai translation and it should go fine.

Confronted my amphur decided it was not worth the problem and backed down on their demands. I had mine in a few hours, for free.

So far had excellent service there. They might have problems with English, but they are certainly not unkind. Unly afraid to make mistakes.

Only if you let the amphur take you for a ride.

Moreover you can take them to court and if the judge doesn't see any reason to demand extra documents they do have a problem with their superiors and are liable for any damages resulting from their unlawful demands.

A simple complaint to the office of the Ombudsman will suffice.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 3/11/2017 at 9:26 AM, Anthony Loh said:

That's because they can't change our passport nos to our pink ID nos in they system, as so need to start all over again as a two years DL and will back to five years for the next renewal.

Yes, that may be the reason, the lady at the DLT told me only she could give me the temporary 2 years with the pink card, so I used the passport, does not matter anyway. 

• Like 1

The pink card got me exemption from paying admission to a temple today. Small thing I know, but just to say that I finally put it to use. The lady at the entrance showed me a sign saying "foreign tourists must pay admission" and I showed her the pink card and said "I am not a tourist".

Whether this works with dual pricing in general... probably there is no rule, since many of these things are at the whim of the local management, but surely it increases the chances.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, sinbin said:

1. Never carried mine in 12+ years other than to show it at the bank when doing a transaction.

2. There's other ways to open a bank account.

3. I can buy a car. But better to put in the wife's name IMO

4. You can provide a link showing that?

better put it in the wife's name......

yep.....the local loan shark will help her all the way through the registration process, she finally can borrow money without you knowing with a collateral    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hgma said:

better put it in the wife's name......

yep.....the local loan shark will help her all the way through the registration process, she finally can borrow money without you knowing with a collateral    

You keep the vehicle book. The loan sharks won't loan out without it. If they did they wouldn't be professorial in what they do would they? Anyway, if she needed money she could use the 8 Baht gold she has under her pillow.:sleep:

I went to local Amphur office (kabinburi) this morning on a unrelated matter, but asked about the pink id card, on previous visits they said it was for migrant workers? This time they told me to come back Friday when they could issue it. Progress but lets see.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Pick my card this afternoon, at no cost. Now wondering where i can use it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

8 hours ago, Danielsiam said:

Being father of Thai children, is giving right to have the ID card for farang ?

If the father can get a yellow house book he can then get the ID card. Anybody that has a yellow house book can get one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I obtained a pink Thai ID card from my local Amphoe in esan yesterday having been given a yellow Tabianban a few days ago.  Whilst at Krabi last week we went to Poda Island and I paid 400bt national park fee and wifie paid 40bt.  I asked a park ranger what I would be charged if I had a Thai ID card and he said 40bt. My question is, has anyone tried to use a pink ID card to get the thai price for national parks?