ID Card for farangs

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

Several years ago it was somewhat common to include an ICE entry in the phonebook of your mobile phone so that in the event of an emergency authorities would know who to contact.

But with the advent of smart phones which are often PIN locked it isn't so useful.

It is as now people put there ice on the lock screen as a rolling message.

• Like 1

As written in a previous post:

Valid for 10 years from date of issue when less than 60 years old.

Lifetime if older than 60 years on date of issue.

The latter rule also applies to ID cards for Thai citizens.

• Like 1

It is as now people put there ice on the lock screen as a rolling message.

I feel that I need to carry photo copies of the relevant pages of my passport and with that I have a piece of paper with my address and a message ' in case of emergency please contact .... followed by two names and phone numbers.
You would need it in Thai on your smartphone if not useing paper. This topic came up in a language forum and the wording decided on was:
ในกรณีฉุกเฉิน กรุณาติดต่อ
name , number
name , number.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

17 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I feel that I need to carry photo copies of the relevant pages of my passport and with that I have a piece of paper with my address and a message ' in case of emergency please contact .... followed by two names and phone numbers.
You would need it in Thai on your smartphone if not useing paper. This topic came up in a language forum and the wording decided on was:
ในกรณีฉุกเฉิน กรุณาติดต่อ
name , number
name , number.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Fully agree I have it in thai and English please contact then phone number.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:08 PM, ocddave said:

My Yellow Book was approved today, so I should be picking it up next week along with applying for my Pink Card at the same office, I think they said they can only process it after I receive the yellow book. This is at the Pak Kret office, will let you know how that goes, but they've been pretty helpful and jovial, at least with my wife along.

Did everything the same day at Laksi office, they printed the yellow book right away after it was approved. Same for the id card.

I'm not sure it has been mentioned before but it's mandatory to have  a Thai speaking person with you as all the documents are in Thai and should be filled in Thai. Even your name and parent names are to be translated in Thai.  A funny thing is my foreigner id card is all in Thai while my Thai wife id card is bilingual, her name and other details are spelled in both thai and english. Weird !

Last thing, for the yellow book we were asked to bring along a witness to confirm that I live at the address mentioned in the book.

I just got a phone call from DTAC badgering me to update my Sim. I have "registered my ID" with them ages ago. One of their questions was, "Are you on a passport or a pink card" (their words not mine). So there is another use.

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Oke thanks.

But same here, but my wife (whose name is the SIM registered to) didn't receive any phone calls yet.

She will, they are conducting a war of attrition. I am still holding out.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2017 at 5:47 PM, JohnnyJazz said:

Did everything the same day at Laksi office, they printed the yellow book right away after it was approved. Same for the id card.

I'm not sure it has been mentioned before but it's mandatory to have  a Thai speaking person with you as all the documents are in Thai and should be filled in Thai. Even your name and parent names are to be translated in Thai.  A funny thing is my foreigner id card is all in Thai while my Thai wife id card is bilingual, her name and other details are spelled in both thai and english. Weird !

Last thing, for the yellow book we were asked to bring along a witness to confirm that I live at the address mentioned in the book.

The reason Thai ID cards are spelt in  thai and English is it is then validated for use as an ID outside of Thailand, where as the ones we get are only valid inside thailand as a foreign national we would have other ID from home countries ie DL/ID CARD ect ect.

Edited by Deepinthailand

I have found it to be usefull. First I had some dental work done and on seeing the card they asked for a smaller deposit than most farangs pay to have a tooth made. Also when I went to register my vehicle I see they put the number in the blue book. I had to show it to get the purple book also , so it seems to it's getting more usefull as time goes on.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

They just gave us a free 3G phone so they could replace old 2G SIM about 2 months ago.  Now they trying to force upgrade to 4G?  Or is it the same SIM card? 

Depends on area. Roll-out by area.

3G SIM is not the same as 4G SIM as I understand it.

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

They just gave us a free 3G phone so they could replace old 2G SIM about 2 months ago.  Now they trying to force upgrade to 4G?  Or is it the same SIM card? 

I received one of the new phones. I noticed it was full of Indian junkware. 

Anyway,  I upgraded the freebie for a nominal fee. My Thai friend asked for the same deal and  they said no. He was not happy and pouted for a good week or so, sighing that farang hi so gets treated better than a poor army veteran who got shot at. (I told him that  if he had been shot in his buttocks he could have had ice cream and Dr. Pepper with the PM. He didn't understand.  :sleepy:  )

Actually my phone is registered to Thai stepson - believe it was done because they were unable to contact him and my wife did not understand/agree to what they wanted (exchange SIM card) - so on 3rd attempt they made an offer of free phone and SIM.  In our case it is a ZTE Blade L110 made for DTAC 3G and being 4" small enough for my 'Trump' hands - so happy with the change from basic Nokia candy bar.  It seems to work well as a phone and when I become smart; it has that ability too.  :smile:

On 1/29/2017 at 9:17 AM, Briggsy said:

Depends on area. Roll-out by area.

3G SIM is not the same as 4G SIM as I understand it.

No need to upgrade a 3G sim card. It  is compatible with a 4G capable phone and will automatically switch give 4G internet speeds if put in a 4G phone, assuming there's a 4G signal available of course. Likewise, a sim that was issued with/for a 4G phone will auto switch to 3G if there's no 4G signals available.

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

No need to upgrade a 3G sim card. It  is compatible with a 4G capable phone and will automatically switch give 4G internet speeds if put in a 4G phone, assuming there's a 4G signal available of course. Likewise, a sim that was issued with/for a 4G phone will auto switch to 3G if there's no 4G signals available.

Well ... I had a True 3G SIM card and I had to upgrade the SIM card in order to access 4G

Just now, SaintLouisBlues said:

Well ... I had a True 3G SIM card and I had to upgrade the SIM card in order to access 4G

Well I have both AIS and True sims which were in a 3G  imobile phone for several years. I recently upgraded to a Huewai 4G phone and both sims worked on 4G straight away. I had to cut the True sim to fit and switch the 4G capability for that sim in the phones settings first. When I had time I did go to True and get a micro sim to fit properly but it did work on the old sim. My old AIS sim works on 4G and as it was already micro size I didn't need to change it. Also my mates two year old True sim worked automatically when he changed to a 4G phone. Didn't need to change it.

14 minutes ago, sumrit said:

If what you say is correct, one wonders why I am being badgered by Dtac to go to their shop and change my SIM from 3G to 4G.

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

If what you say is correct, one wonders why I am being badgered by Dtac to go to their shop and change my SIM from 3G to 4G.

Was the phone they gave you 3G or 4G compatible? Is the badgering  you talk about a promotion for a 4G (phone) upgrade? AIS keep offering me a free 4G phone if I take a second pre-pay AIS sim card with them (for 'family use'). If somebody at AIS  is just looking at my account I last changed my sim for a micro sim but there was no 4G  phones then so it would automatically be flagged as a 3G sim. They're probably offering promotions to all those customers. 

All I can say is my AIS and True sims both worked without the need to change them. And both mine and my mates original AIS sims are still working without  upgrading them.

49 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Was the phone they gave you 3G or 4G compatible? Is the badgering  you talk about a promotion for a 4G (phone) upgrade? AIS keep offering me a free 4G phone if I take a second pre-pay AIS sim card with them (for 'family use'). If somebody at AIS  is just looking at my account I last changed my sim for a micro sim but there was no 4G  phones then so it would automatically be flagged as a 3G sim. They're probably offering promotions to all those customers. 

All I can say is my AIS and True sims both worked without the need to change them. And both mine and my mates original AIS sims are still working without  upgrading them.

They didn't give me a phone.

The badgering has been texts, recorded calls and calls in person to go to a DTAC shop and change my Sim.

My 3G Sim works fine. I don't understand their motivation.

Edited by Briggsy

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Can I ask nicely with no sinister meaning and no bias. What has mobile phones and sim cards or 3g or 4G got to do with ID cards For Farangs. Apart from using it to get one. The rest is a little off topic ?! No!

Some people have questioned the use of the Foreigner ID Card. One use is exactly what you suggested. The pink ID card  is acceptable as ID to register the sim instead of having to take your passport. Sorry we went a little off topic to clarify somebody's query about the different sim options when they used the ID card. 

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

It is possible for you to make your own ID card and get it stamped by the local Thai consulate for validation. I wrote my name, passport number and address on a piece of paper and got it stamped by the consulate in New York. It is perfectly valid. The stamp is valid for a year.

16 minutes ago, John Than said:

It is possible for you to make your own ID card and get it stamped by the local Thai consulate for validation. I wrote my name, passport number and address on a piece of paper and got it stamped by the consulate in New York. It is perfectly valid. The stamp is valid for a year.

Good one, but my question is have you ever done anything, which required you to show identification (like a Bank or anything else official), with that document here in Thailand. And was it accepted without showing additional documentation ?

Edited by MJCM

Can anyone advise what I need to do to get the pink ID card? I have a work permit, but I've understood that this is not enough to get it. Currently I am renting a condo but next month my girlfriend is buying one and I'm moving there. If she puts me into the house book, does this mean I can get the ID?