ID Card for farangs

Went to the Khon Kaen Amphoe yesterday, the 6th. and got my Thai ID, no fuss. They said they have been doing it for about 3 months and have had at least 1 farang almost everyday comes in for one. No cost!

Confirming, there is no expiration date.

So for you all who live in the province, it was simple. Of course, I got the woman on the computer who had never done one and had to have assistance!

The only other delay, you have to go to the same office as Thais getting their National ID renewed so I was # 20 "in line."

The one I got is only valid for ten years from kk

just got my pink ID card

some people say that their card expires on such and such date

but mine said it never expires,it says"good for all my life"

I went back to the ID office and asked if that was right,they said it was right " good for all my life"

I quest all offices are not the same

the expiration for mine is 10 years. Nakhon Si Thammarat

Edited by Rhys

just got my pink ID card

I went back to the ID office and asked if that was right,they said it was right " good for all my life"

I understand that if you are over 60 when you get it, its a lifetime one?

• Like 1

just got my pink ID card

I understand that if you are over 60 when you get it, its a lifetime one?

Yes that's correct as thai over 60 lifetime use under ten years.

Got my pink ID-card in Khon Kaen today. Went alone, no hazzle whatsoever. The card is free.

They stored my fingerprints, but the card doesn't have a chip same the cards for Thai have.

Guess it can't be used for the coming ID-card payment system.

From what I have read about the up coming ID card linked payment system it will be for Thais only. I belive things are moving fwd now over the last few days must have had a 100 people come to get photo copies of tabien and ID cards done. Head man us telling everyone who gets the old sge money has to have a bank account.

On Friday I had my first practical use of my shiny new pink Id card.

My local Bangkok Bank branch accepted it as proof of id for a cash withdrawal without asking for my passport as well. That's a good start.

Mind you, I'll need a few more regular occurrences before I feel confident enough to leave the passport at home when doing that sort of stuff.

• Like 1

Had a chatwith village head man last evening. Mainly about the mrs buying some land from him. Conversation got round to yellow book which he helped me get and ID card. Anyway a couple of his mates came round as well one I thought I had seen before. Indeed I had an immigration officer. They asked to see Id card showed it them now when they stoped laughing. (At my picture). Immigration officer said good you have both now things changing!!!!!. End of conversation on that subject did try and probe a bit deeper to no avail. Anyone heard any whispers? ????

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the local Amphur in Chonburi this morning, with my wife in tow, to enquire about an ID Card. I'm 65 years old, retired, have lived in Thailand for several years and have my own yellow tabien baan.

First I was told point blank that I wasn't entitled.After saying that I'd been told I was entitled and that it was a pink card I was told they were reserved for Lao and Cambodian people living in Thailand only. After then saying that I knew of several (farang) people who had all been issued with Pink ID Cards at different Amphurs in other parts of Thailand, firstly I was told they were only available to people with work permits then I was told that I might be entitled to a 'white' ID Card but that the person I had to see was on a couple of days holiday so I'd have to come back.

All of this was relayed to me via my wife who, in typical Thai fashion, accepts everything that is told to her by somebody behind a desk. And she gets uncomfortable when I start to question/clarify what she's been told.

So, before I go back later in the week, is there anybody on the forum that is familiar with the rules/regulations on a foreigner obtaining an ID Card?

Are they available to all foreigners, regardless of nationality?

Are they restricted to foreigners that have work permits?

Are they age restricted. Can a retired person obtain an ID Card?

Are all foreigner ID Cards pink in colour as this thread appears to suggest?

Does anybody know if the is a website where I can download the official rules/regulations(in Thai or English) relating to foreigner ID Cards?

And lastly, is there anybody else who's had similar problems in Chonburi?

Edited by sumrit

I went to the local Amphur in Chonburi this morning, with my wife in tow, to enquire about an ID Card. I'm 65 years old, retired, have lived in Thailand for several years and have my own yellow tabien baan.

First I was told point blank that I wasn't entitled.After saying that I'd been told I was entitled and that it was a pink card I was told they were reserved for Lao and Cambodian people living in Thailand only. After then saying that I knew of several (farang) people who had all been issued with Pink ID Cards at different Amphurs in other parts of Thailand, firstly I was told they were only available to people with work permits then I was told that I might be entitled to a 'white' ID Card but that the person I had to see was on a couple of days holiday so I'd have to come back.

All of this was relayed to me via my wife who, in typical Thai fashion, accepts everything that is told to her by somebody behind a desk. And she gets uncomfortable when I start to question/clarify what she's been told.

So, before I go back later in the week, is there anybody on the forum that is familiar with the rules/regulations on a foreigner obtaining an ID Card?

Does anybody know if the is a website where I can download the official rules/regulations(in Thai or English) relating to foreigner ID Cards?

I've had the same issues with my Amphur Phaisali in Nakhon Sawan. They issued my yellow book a few years back but they said it doesn't prove my residency and that only Thai citizens can get an ID. There was confusion with the number 8 and 6. I told them that my yellow book beginning with #6 qualifies for the pink ID starting with the #6. They said no.Back and forth, back and forth until they finally wore me down. I smiled and thanked them. Maybe I'll try again. If you have more luck let me know.

Are they available to all foreigners, regardless of nationality? As far as I know, yes

Are they restricted to foreigners that have work permits? No

Are they age restricted. Can a retired person obtain an ID Card? No age restriction as I am retired aged 61.

Are all foreigner ID Cards pink in colour as this thread appears to suggest? Yes, only pink cards.

And lastly, is there anybody else who's had similar problems in Chonburi? I do not know about any websites or the problems at Chonburi as I got mine in Bang Saphan Noi

If you have a look earlier on in this thread, there are pictures of this said card. Perhaps you may be able to take a picture and show your local office. All that was required for me was my yellow Tabian Baan and my Passport. Other offices may differ in their requirements.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I don't see the point in getting one, anyone knows why should you have one ?

After laboriously reading all 9 pages, I still can see no reason to go through even a tiny bit of aggravation to get placed in yet another Thai gubbmit database & to VOLUNTARY give them even one fingerprint.

I've been here 9 years as of yesterday. Every time someone asks me for my passport, I show them my drivers license. Bank, hotels, airlines, tourist traps...it doesn't matter. I carry a color copy of my passport with the current copy of the visa extension on the back side, just in case. Never had to use it.

I was on a bus once close to the Laos border, and the police boarded & were asking everybody for ID. When the surly cop got to me he screamed "PASSPORT!!!," so I showed him my DL, He impolitely flipped it back to me and went to the next poor schlub. (Maybe his mia noi didn't give him any when he woke up)

Other than 90 day & visa extensions, the one and only instance where the passport was the only ID they would take was when I opened my bank account.

Actually, the same can be said of the Yellow Book. What for? If I was constantly buying & selling cars or motorbikes, OK, but I'm not.

So, unless somebody can give me (and probably many other readers) a reason why it behooves me to get a Yellow Book or yet another ID card, I'll pass.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just looking for a reason that benefits me.

Edited by Tagaa
  • Like 1

Mancha Kiri, a friend of mine took my advice to file a complaint, in English, on the website of the office of the ombudsman. Within 24hrs he was contacted and told he can go pick up his card the next day.

Guess this beats going through a 9 pages document in Thai and trying to convince the civil servants by yourself ...

• Like 2

Used my pink id card today when we closed our scb account, wasn't asked for my passport, went along to open a new account at ktb they only asked for the non o visa in the passport, yellow book eventually the account was opened using the pink id. The account is registered under the13 digit pink card number, happy all good

• Like 1

I don't see the point in getting one, anyone knows why should you have one ?

After laboriously reading all 9 pages, I still can see no reason to go through even a tiny bit of aggravation to get placed in yet another Thai gubbmit database & to VOLUNTARY give them even one fingerprint.

I've been here 9 years as of yesterday. Every time someone asks me for my passport, I show them my drivers license. Bank, hotels, airlines, tourist traps...it doesn't matter. I carry a color copy of my passport with the current copy of the visa extension on the back side, just in case. Never had to use it.

I was on a bus once close to the Laos border, and the police boarded & were asking everybody for ID. When the surly cop got to me he screamed "PASSPORT!!!," so I showed him my DL, He impolitely flipped it back to me and went to the next poor schlub. (Maybe his mia noi didn't give him any when he woke up)

Other than 90 day & visa extensions, the one and only instance where the passport was the only ID they would take was when I opened my bank account.

Actually, the same can be said of the Yellow Book. What for? If I was constantly buying & selling cars or motorbikes, OK, but I'm not.

So, unless somebody can give me (and probably many other readers) a reason why it behooves me to get a Yellow Book or yet another ID card, I'll pass.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just looking for a reason that benefits me.

Most people don't need a yellow book. Some people have posted that it is useful for their situation.

If you are one of the few who are required to have a yellow book to apply for something then you would have been informed by a government official during the application process.

Got my pink card today from Yannawa district, Bangkok. I had already received my yellow book couple of years ago (number starting with 6) and the pink card ID was issued with the same number.

What was needed was my yellow book and passport and also my wife's ID card (she was the one who filled up the application on behalf of me). Process took almost an hour as they had to clear the printing queue from Thais issuing their cards before printing mine.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2016 at 1:26 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Had a chatwith village head man last evening. Mainly about the mrs buying some land from him. Conversation got round to yellow book which he helped me get and ID card. Anyway a couple of his mates came round as well one I thought I had seen before. Indeed I had an immigration officer. They asked to see Id card showed it them now when they stoped laughing. (At my picture). Immigration officer said good you have both now things changing!!!!!. End of conversation on that subject did try and probe a bit deeper to no avail. Anyone heard any whispers? ????

Deja vu? This [pink] ID card for 'foreigner' discussion has similarities to the previous discussions regarding the 'foreigner' medical card. Will it have the same outcome? 

Got my pink ID card today at my local district office (Talingchan) here in Bangkok.  Piece of cake.   I just handed them my passport, yellow book, Thai drivers license and they did the rest.  I did not have to complete any paperwork but I did have to sign two forms they completed and a ledger book confirming I got my card.  Took about 20 minutes  total with around 18 minutes of that being the four different clerks completing some forms/computer entries/making copies of my passport/yellow book/drivers license, taking my picture and both thumb prints, etc.  All four clerks smiled and were professional during the whole process.   Cost was Bt60 and I was issued a receipt.    The number on the card is the same as the number on my yellow book (starts with a 6).  Yeap, piece of cake.

• Like 2

I inquired about getting a pink ID Card at Wattana District in Bangkok today. Unfortunately they required more paper work than the Yannawa and Talingchan Districts (posts #231/233 above), so I'll have to go back again with the additional documents. The additional requirements are passport copy must be certified by my embassy, and need a copy of my work permit.

Since a work permit is required it seems that Wattana don't intend issuing the ID Cards to retiree farangs.

mark5335, did you take your yellow Tabian Baan? Seems very strange they require a copy of your passport which has to be certified. And you do not need a work permit as retirees like me are entitled to this card. I know as I was one of the first to get one but I am in Bang Saphan Noi.  Wattana are just trying to make life very awkward for everyone by sounds of it.

4 minutes ago, worrab said:

mark5335, did you take your yellow Tabian Baan? Seems very strange they require a copy of your passport which has to be certified. And you do not need a work permit as retirees like me are entitled to this card. I know as I was one of the first to get one but I am in Bang Saphan Noi.  Wattana are just trying to make life very awkward for everyone by sounds of it.

Yes, I had my yellow tabien baan and passport with me. I was surprised, since when I first applied for the yellow tabien baan 7 years ago, they didn't request a certified copy of my passport back then. The question about work permit today came unexpectedly as well, as it was my wife who was asking the staff about the pink ID card, as I was still in the car-park at the time. They either made an assumption that I'm here working and added some additional hoops & hurdles to get through, or it's the local policy at Wattana. I think it's their local policy since my wife said the staff was reading from a checklist regarding foreigner ID requirements.

8 hours ago, mark5335 said:

Yes, I had my yellow tabien baan and passport with me. I was surprised, since when I first applied for the yellow tabien baan 7 years ago, they didn't request a certified copy of my passport back then. The question about work permit today came unexpectedly as well, as it was my wife who was asking the staff about the pink ID card, as I was still in the car-park at the time. They either made an assumption that I'm here working and added some additional hoops & hurdles to get through, or it's the local policy at Wattana. I think it's their local policy since my wife said the staff was reading from a checklist regarding foreigner ID requirements.

Please keep us updated. I'm in Wattana district too, so I'm interested to see how it goes for you.

Cheers.

Where is the office you went to exactly? My address is Wattana district (I live in Pridi soi 5 off Phrakhanong) and my Amphur office is at the end of Thonglor, near Petchburi road. They only wanted a regular copy of my passport, signed by me.

Edited by stbkk