ID Card for farangs

I just hope they don't bring in the ID card AND keep the yellow book going, if the same information is on both.

Why not?

It's analogue to what Thai people get/have.

But what I miss compared to the Thai ID card is the name in roman script!

Or in our case: the ORIGINAL name.

Would be useful to have a document that links my original name(identity) with the yellow book and this new ID card.

But OK, the photo ID is an improvement compared to the yellow book.

Still been too lazy to go to our Amphoe and ask about it wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Curious about the Thai on the backside of the ID card for foreigners. Here's mine:

post-32650-0-61978200-1464046727_thumb.j

A friend did this translation:

OFFICE OF CENTRAL REGISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION MININISTRY OF INTERIOR
INSTRUCTION FOR HOLDER IDENTIFICATION
1.This card is not ID.card
2.To carry all times for review
3.Do not allow the name on the card to leave the issue area unless those who have certificate of alien registration or who have allow writing letter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sure makes it sound more those issued to foreign workers from Burma, Laos, Cambodia, etc.
Mac
  • Like 1

I just hope they don't bring in the ID card AND keep the yellow book going, if the same information is on both.

Why not?

It's analogue to what Thai people get/have.

But what I miss compared to the Thai ID card is the name in roman script!

Or in our case: the ORIGINAL name.

Would be useful to have a document that links my original name(identity) with the yellow book and this new ID card.

But OK, the photo ID is an improvement compared to the yellow book.

Still been too lazy to go to our Amphoe and ask about it wink.png

Thai ID cards/passports/driving licenses must have roman script on them so they can be used outside of Thailand.

Why would a foreign national need to use the pink card to verify their identity outside of Thailand?

Unless the card has somehow recorded the latest "Admitted Until" date stamped in your passport, I hardly see how it would be considered by the BIB and others as acceptable proof of ID in lieu of your passport.

And, in the unlikely event that it does record this date, you would, presumably, then need to trot along to your amphur for a fresh card after returning from each trip to (1) "Farangland" and (2) your local immigration office for an extension of stay.

Actually it would be acceptable proof, already most BIB don't ask random people for passports unless they're setting up some kind of a scam like happens in the Asok/Thonglor area. Driver's licences are usually OK for most, and this card is the same one that guest workers from Laos/Cambodia and Myanmar generally have access to. If the card is good enough for workers from these countries, then it's good enough for other foreigners who are eligible for one.

Don't make a mountain of a molehill. Most foreigners living in Thailand aren't even eligible for one of these cards. The ones that do, will find it makes their life easier.

• Like 1

Short field report with the pink card, I tried to use it to renew my 5 years DL this Monday in Chiang Mai and although they would accept it after some internal discussion, they would only grant a 2 years license with the card. So used the passport instead for 5 years.

Reason I tried was to get the 13-digits ID on the Thai DL as that was the check criteria for the tourist price ripoffs.

• Like 1

Short field report with the pink card, I tried to use it to renew my 5 years DL this Monday in Chiang Mai and although they would accept it after some internal discussion, they would only grant a 2 years license with the card. So used the passport instead for 5 years.

Reason I tried was to get the 13-digits ID on the Thai DL as that was the check criteria for the tourist price ripoffs.

What number was on your DL before renewal? I have the ID number on my 2 year DL which I got for the first time after getting my ID card.

It was and is the passport number. 5 years before and 5 years again. As I wrote they could have used the Thai ID number, but then only for a 2 years (temporary) license.

It was and is the passport number. 5 years before and 5 years again. As I wrote they could have used the Thai ID number, but then only for a 2 years (temporary) license.

Will be interesting to see what happens when I renew in 18 months time for a 5 year DL. I suspect I will be using my ID number as that is what I have started with. Maybe you cannot change the form of ID on a 5 year renewal. Or would it be a 2 year DL with your ID number then on renewal for a 5 year DL you keep that number? Interesting permutations here.

Hi Dave here (mr):

Just to throw this in when I got my DL 5 year had passport number on it issued in Chon Buri.

Eventu5got round to changing address to where we live now after building house (took me 2 years mind) anyway went to local DOT told them what I needed to do showed them yellow book all done in 20 mins on licence now new address and number from yellow book

• Like 1

why do they need your blood type?

That is just an additional bit of information about you that can be obtained it needed. In an emergency that might mean you could get a blood transfusion quicker.

Well, I hold a Permanent Resident Certificate (initially blue, now white booklet) and admission stamps remain empty, i.e. without expiry.

Above included that I had to be entered onto the blue house registration within 14 days of having been granted the PR status; I do not know what the yellow house registration book is all about.

My ID number starts with "8" but I kept (purposely) my born nationality, i.e. I am not a Thai citizen and I shall not become a Thai citizen. That means that a PR holder's ID number seems to start with "8" - as shown on driving licenses.

Irrespective of all, an "alien" living here has - in most cases - a driver's license which is more than enough to identify yourself with the authorities, banks and officials.

I have used my Thai driving licence for every purpose possible here for the last 35 years and can t think why people go to all the trouble to get other documents.

Because

1. You can't buy a car in your own name with just a DL.

2. Still pay more at some tourist places even with a DL

You can buy a car without Thai ID or yellow book as I have and its in my name..

I agree why would you want another ID if you have a Thai driving licence this is ID you can fly domestic with it as I have done.. I do now actually have a yellow book only because when my wife updated our blue book with her and our daughter. the ampur asked if I wanted one.. So I got it..

I have got into all dual Thai farang priced places for Thai price including the water park in Phuket. Getting a Thai driving licence is probably easier and cheaper than either of the above... IMO.... I used my yellow book to open an Scb bank account last year I don't have work permit.. I'm on retirement visa/ extensions . Got told no before once I had yellow book very easy.. Although I do know other banks will open without work permits.

Edited by Paul Phuket
  • Like 1

Thai ID Card, first use.

Drove up to Nong Khai yesterday, pulled into the Pantawee Hotel to check in. Asked for passport but pulled out the Thai ID card, received with a smile, done deal.

Mac

And Thai driving licence works in the same way

Sorry, that's not true - at least at any hotels I've stayed in. Perhaps different rules apply for short-time hotels.

Thai ID Card, first use.

Drove up to Nong Khai yesterday, pulled into the Pantawee Hotel to check in. Asked for passport but pulled out the Thai ID card, received with a smile, done deal.

Mac

why do they need your blood type?

That is just an additional bit of information about you that can be obtained it needed. In an emergency that might mean you could get a blood transfusion quicker.
No properly-run medical facility would give someone a blood transfusion based on what was written on a card. The consequences of giving someone the wrong blood type (if it turned out to be wrong) could be fatal.
  • Like 1

I got the pink (not) ID card last week in Ubon Ratchathani. All that was required was 1 copy of my passport, 1 copy of my yellow book, 60b for the card and 10b for a cute little matching pink case. They told me my wife did not have to come but she came anyway. They didn't even look at my original passport/yellow book. All my Thai friends are jealous that my card is pink. :-)

• Like 1

Sorry, that's not true - at least at any hotels I've stayed in. Perhaps different rules apply for short-time hotels.

Thai ID Card, first use.

Mac

It is true!!!! I've checked in at several with just my driving licence and just yesterday checked into 4 star in Bangkok driving licence works fine...

Have you tried? Other than your short time hotels...

Anyone got a card in Nonthaburi Province ...especially Pak kret area?

We went today to the Tessaban Office ... girl on desk said only for workers and we can go to the 'like workers office' in Bang Yai and ask ...Mrs Jas can't recall the name of the office but thinks it begins with the letter 'B'.

Any hotel that I stay in I only ever offer my driving licence.

Edited by JAS21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read some previously confusing topics on this issue, but thought I'd share my experience at the Amphur yesterday with other members.

I'm in the process of moving address, so along with preparing the forms to notify Immigration, there is also the need to change my Tabian Baan and update my Driving Licences, so that was my job for yesterday.

On visiting the Amphur for a new Tabian Baan, I was informed that new Thai ID cards for Foreigners were now available to any foreigner obtaining the Yellow House Book. I thought they were only previously available to those with PR or holding Work Permits.

Anyway a quick photo, thumb print scans and 10 minutes later my own Thai ID card.

I then visited the Transport office to update my address and get new Licences.

On previous visits a copy of my passport, extension and proof of address were always required, so I decided to put this new ID card to the test and just like any Thai would I just produced my new Tabian Baan and the ID card as proof of ID and address.

Magic, no request for passport or anything else. New licences issued within 10 minutes.

I later called at the bank to advise on new address, again using the same technique.

Strike two, they were most impressed with the ID card, never having seen one before.

Again in and out in ten minutes, gone is the laborious choir of taking endless copies of documents.

No charge for new Tabian Baan, and 5 baht for ID card.

• Like 1

I've read some previously confusing topics on this issue, but thought I'd share my experience at the Amphur yesterday with other members.

I'm in the process of moving address, so along with preparing the forms to notify Immigration, there is also the need to change my Tabian Baan and update my Driving Licences, so that was my job for yesterday.

On visiting the Amphur for a new Tabian Baan, I was informed that new Thai ID cards for Foreigners were now available to any foreigner obtaining the Yellow House Book. I thought they were only previously available to those with PR or holding Work Permits.

Anyway a quick photo, thumb print scans and 10 minutes later my own Thai ID card.

On previous visits a copy of my passport, extension and proof of address were always required, so I decided to put this new ID card to the test and just like any Thai would I just produced my new Tabian Baan and the ID card as proof of ID and address.

Magic, no request for passport or anything else. New licences issued within 10 minutes.

I later called at the bank to advise on new address, again using the same technique.

Strike two, they were most impressed with the ID card, never having seen one before.

Again in and out in ten minutes, gone is the laborious choir of taking endless copies of documents.

thank you for that what Amphur did you go to cheers

Well, that's good news, indeed! You've inspired me to get off my butt and pay a visit to my Amphur office this week to get one. Thanks for the report.

Can I ask how easy it was to change the address of your driver's license at the Land Transport Office? Also, have you changed the address for any registration books for any vehicles you have?

thank you for that what Amphur did you go to cheers

Roi Et.

Well, that's good news, indeed! You've inspired me to get off my butt and pay a visit to my Amphur office this week to get one. Thanks for the report.

Can I ask how easy it was to change the address of your driver's license at the Land Transport Office? Also, have you changed the address for any registration books for any vehicles you have?

Very easy to change address at LTO.

I changed it once before but had to produce copies of various documents.

With the Tabian Baan and the new ID card, no questions, no copies, in and out with new licences in 10 minutes.

Cost 155 baht per licence.

With being so busy moving house, I completely overlooked getting my registration book updated.

Thanks for the reminder skatewash!

I'll let you know, when I've done it, and whether they also just accept my TB and Thai ID card as sufficient proof.

• Like 2

@skatewash,

Just returned from the LTO where I had my registration book updated to reflect my new address.

They took copies of my Thai ID card, Tabian Baan AND Passport, as it's the passport number that was used as the ID in the registration book.

Took 15 minutes, cost 15 baht. Very easy and straightforward process.

• Like 1

Just for your info.

Just recently I got my Pink ID Card. I am on Retirement with the Yellow House Book (Tabian Baan).

For those who are PR the starting number on the Pink ID Card is #8.

And for those who are NON PR the starting number on the Pink ID Card is #6.

Mine is number #6.

Took my thumb print, ask for my blood group, and photo taken on the spot.

And in less than an hour I got the beautiful Pink ID Card. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Just for your info.

Just recently I got my Pink ID Card. I am on Retirement with the Yellow House Book (Tabian Baan).

For those who are PR the starting number on the Pink ID Card is #8.

And for those who are NON PR the starting number on the Pink ID Card is #6.

Mine is number #6.

Took my thumb print, ask for my blood group, and photo taken on the spot.

And in less than an hour I got the beautiful Pink ID Card. Much appreciated.

which area please