ID Card for farangs

And the 13 digits ID never changes, it is issued and numbered with the first issuing Amphoe/District, even if Khon Thai moves elsewhere and changes housebooks.

Related question for the farang 13 digits ID and yellow housebook. I inquired in the Hang Dong office how I can change my yellow book from BKK to CNX. They've told me, I would have to cancel it first in BKK and then apply for a new one. Does not make any sense, as I have the ID and in the case of applying again, they would issue a new number. Contradictory to anything I know. Has anyone ever changed the yellow tabien baan to a different location and what was the process and result? I'm afraid, based on some stories, that they may simply say "Farang can not don't have".

They are correct. The yellow book is issued for a specific address as shown on the blue book it is based upon.

But you are wrong about getting a new ID number. They will do the new yellow book for your new residence using the same number that was on the old one.

Not sure about the exact procedure..

• Like 1

I spoke to my (Thai) father in law regarding these iD cards, he said they are issused on an annual basis, to migrant works, who can work within the province they are issused, dont know what other documents are required in this process, I'll try to find out more. I live in Prachinburi

I spoke to my (Thai) father in law regarding these iD cards, he said they are issused on an annual basis, to migrant works, who can work within the province they are issused, dont know what other documents are required in this process, I'll try to find out more. I live in Prachinburi

The cards mentioned in this topic are different than those issued for migrant workers.

I am fairly certain that the numbers 6-12 in my 13 digit number is the date.

It is 01005-20 and the yellow book is dated 20th May 2010, too much of a coincidence. It wouldn't be out of the question for other provinces to use a different format.

Your hunch or guess is absolutely wrong. It is definitely a coincidence.

I take it you also have a yellow book from Muang Chonburi.

I have a Yellow Book issued at Muang Chonburi Sandy and numbers 6-12 definitely don't relate to any relevant dates. My book was issued on the 18th but numbers 11 and 12 in my book are 34 which is too high for any day in the month.

Have you inquired at Chonburi Amphur will issue us with pink ID cards yet?

I am fairly certain that the numbers 6-12 in my 13 digit number is the date.

It is 01005-20 and the yellow book is dated 20th May 2010, too much of a coincidence. It wouldn't be out of the question for other provinces to use a different format.

Your hunch or guess is absolutely wrong. It is definitely a coincidence.

I take it you also have a yellow book from Muang Chonburi.

I have a Yellow Book issued at Muang Chonburi Sandy and numbers 6-12 definitely don't relate to any relevant dates. My book was issued on the 18th but numbers 11 and 12 in my book are 34 which is too high for any day in the month.

Have you inquired at Chonburi Amphur will issue us with pink ID cards yet?

As I have mentioned previously it may have been a one off situation. I was an IT consultant and have seen too many cases of fields being incorrectly populated to believe in coincidences. In the absence of definite information operators will often do what they can to make the system work, and the date is a popular get out.

How long ago did you get your book, did you have to wait the 6 weeks for the police report?

I don't think I will bother with the ID card.

I am going to hold my hands up over the previous comments. This morning while looking for something else I came across my yellow book and had a look inside. Something suddenly hit me, my book is not dated 20th May 2010, it is dated 20th May 2553.

The idea that the number was based on the date came from the translation which has the date in English format. I have probably used the translation more than the book itself which has led to a fundamental oversight.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread about the Thai ID card for NON-PR folks.

Many of the posts on the PR thread relate more to this thread.

Here's mine from an hour ago on the PR thread:

Posted Today, 09:52
A week or more ago there was another thread about the pink ID cards for Non-PRs, can't find it now.
I've been signed off for mine, but need to wait until after Songkran to get it, seems like the local amphur doesn't have the card stock and it'll be printed at the Ministry, or something like that.
I'm no a Retirement extension, and have had a Yellow tambien ban for several years.
Mac
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Like 1

Do you know which district office your friend got his ID from? I've had my yellow tabien baan issued by Wattana District Office 7 years ago (and own my condo also) and I'm keen on applying for the ID as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter today from the Village Chief, that I can get my ID card made at the Local Amphur. (I already have a Yellow book)

I don't see the point in getting one, anyone knows why should you have one ?

I think it's not so much a case of "should" get one, but if you can get one without too much time, trouble or stress, why not?

About the only time I get asked for my passport is if I'd withdrawing funds at an SCB branch where they're not familiar with me. Then I pull out my Thai driving permit, works every time. Next time I'll try the Thai ID card, see how that flies.

Mac

• Like 1

^ makes a lot of sense what you are saying, but one question remains. If you goto into a bank and show them your (pink) ID card do they know it's real ? I stick to using my passport, unless I am "forced" to have one

I think it's not so much a case of "should" get one, but if you can get one without too much time, trouble or stress, why not?

About the only time I get asked for my passport is if I'd withdrawing funds at an SCB branch where they're not familiar with me. Then I pull out my Thai driving permit, works every time. Next time I'll try the Thai ID card, see how that flies.

Mac

I think you will find that they will only accept a Thai Driving Permit. That is what they only allow me to use for ID in place of a Passport at my branch of Bangkok Bank even though they have seen my pink ID card.

Anyone tried Banglamung District Office in Pattaya?

Yes, I got it from Banglamung last year. Mine is for a permanent resident. I needed to see the lady in charge, she was very helpful and knowledgeable about the card. The card was printed in Chonburi city and sent by post to Banglamung about one month after I was photographed.

Well, I hold a Permanent Resident Certificate (initially blue, now white booklet) and admission stamps remain empty, i.e. without expiry.

Above included that I had to be entered onto the blue house registration within 14 days of having been granted the PR status; I do not know what the yellow house registration book is all about.

My ID number starts with "8" but I kept (purposely) my born nationality, i.e. I am not a Thai citizen and I shall not become a Thai citizen. That means that a PR holder's ID number seems to start with "8" - as shown on driving licenses.

Irrespective of all, an "alien" living here has - in most cases - a driver's license which is more than enough to identify yourself with the authorities, banks and officials.

I have used my Thai driving licence for every purpose possible here for the last 35 years and can t think why people go to all the trouble to get other documents.

Well, I hold a Permanent Resident Certificate (initially blue, now white booklet) and admission stamps remain empty, i.e. without expiry.

Above included that I had to be entered onto the blue house registration within 14 days of having been granted the PR status; I do not know what the yellow house registration book is all about.

My ID number starts with "8" but I kept (purposely) my born nationality, i.e. I am not a Thai citizen and I shall not become a Thai citizen. That means that a PR holder's ID number seems to start with "8" - as shown on driving licenses.

Irrespective of all, an "alien" living here has - in most cases - a driver's license which is more than enough to identify yourself with the authorities, banks and officials.

I have used my Thai driving licence for every purpose possible here for the last 35 years and can t think why people go to all the trouble to get other documents.

Because

1. You can't buy a car in your own name with just a DL.

2. Still pay more at some tourist places even with a DL

• Like 2

just got my pink ID card

some people say that their card expires on such and such date

but mine said it never expires,it says"good for all my life"

I went back to the ID office and asked if that was right,they said it was right " good for all my life"

I quest all offices are not the same

• Like 2

Because

1. You can't buy a car in your own name with just a DL.

2. Still pay more at some tourist places even with a DL

Can't buy a car in your own name without permanent residency? I think you mean you can't buy a car on credit not that you can't buy a car in your own name without residency?

Haven't been on TV for a while, but here goes.

Just read the entire 6 pages of this thread - very interesting topic.

Someone was asking about the process to change yellow books. We changed books when we bought our house. Had to go to the amphur office of the new district with the old yellow book (the old book was actually issued at the Tedsaban office, because we were inside the city then), a copy of the wife's blue book (the owner) and of course, a copy of my passport. Got the new book the same day. The 13-digit number carries across the same, only the 11-digit book number on page one changes.

Some people are asking whether the ID card is worth it. I sometimes get the same question about the yellow book.

I think it depends on what you want. I found buying a motorcycle (for cash), opening a bank account, and especially renewing my driving license all easier. I used to get asked for a letter from immigration every time, now I just show the yellow book.

I just hope they don't bring in the ID card AND keep the yellow book going, if the same information is on both.