General Prawit hopes Thaksin will not speak anything bad against Thailand

webfact

comes to something when the only opposition available to the current government is an old man in exile....

especially when that old man is a corrupt criminal whose in exile because he's a fugitive who chose to leg it!

The saddest part is the choice Thais seemingly have - current military government, elite hiso puppet government, or a puppet government controlled by one man for the benefit of his family.

Makes Trump and Clinton look like a real choice.

Did you really said "choice"? No Thais choose the current military government. Junta kool aid overdose.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope Thaksin tells it like it is & crucifies this illegal regime, i.e;

They explicitly backed an illegal armed uprising in order to create enough instability to overthrow the democratically elected government.

<snip for brevity>

That would be simply hilarious, for anyone who remembers Thaksin's actions, back in 2009/2010. wink.png

But it wouldn't be the first time he's reversed direction, for example he used to regard democracy with somewhat less respect, than he now claims to. rolleyes.gif

Do you mean back in the day when "the UN is not my father" & something about democracy not being the real goal (sorry cannot remember the wording).

He should do his best to get Yingluck and his son and immediate family out of

Thailand and then have a live News Conference from Fiji, Dubai local does not really matter

where he as insider to

"Palace Politics" goes ahead and throws some (DIRT) out there concerning how it

came about that when he was in New York for a United Nations meeting All

"Monarchists" with Privy Council participation COLLUDED together to overthrow

another "Democratically Elected Prime Minister" of Thailand.

He could go ahead and Name...Names....many names even those that are nameless..???

1,000's of international News Websites / Papers have already done the job for him...so how could it

hurt?

To top that off he could then call up the over 50 Thai ("Freedom of Conscience) Asylum Seekers

from the UK / USA and Australia who have run from Thailand to ESCAPE from Draconian "LM"

Charges.

To really hit the last Nail in the old Coffin.....He would at the Very End pump his fist and

Yell......

Lanna Republic!

Is he Thai ? The government tried to render him stateless when they rescinded his passports .

Most countries retain the right to cancel an individuals passport should they wish to do so.

Is it a wish or whim or is it based on law ? Have a problem with the word "wish".

Many question as to whether a military deposed, elected leader will get a fair trial by a military court. Perhaps, if a popularly elected, civilian government asks to have him arrested, it might be taken seriously. It seems that the military will remain in control for some time, so the chances of his arrest and repatriation are small. The junta will ask him play nice, as they are starting to smell like fish.

I am sure Thaksin will not say anything bad about Thailand; but perhaps what General Prawit hopes is that Thaksin does not say anything bad against the current government.

Enough said.

Sorry the cat is already out of the bag on the negative comments part. Might it be possible that there is actual dialogue going on between the Shins and the junta. Stay tuned. Looks like a bit of an olive branch being extended. A settlement between the junta and the Shins would really be a feather in the junta's hat showing compassion and diplomacy. What am I thinking never happen they are bitter enemies. Someone would loose face.

Is he Thai ? The government tried to render him stateless when they rescinded his passports .

Most countries retain the right to cancel an individuals passport should they wish to do so.

Is it a wish or whim or is it based on law ? Have a problem with the word "wish".

Many question as to whether a military deposed, elected leader will get a fair trial by a military court. Perhaps, if a popularly elected, civilian government asks to have him arrested, it might be taken seriously. It seems that the military will remain in control for some time, so the chances of his arrest and repatriation are small. The junta will ask him play nice, as they are starting to smell like fish.

Why a military court? He has numerous charges to face in the normal criminal court system. These are far more serious than what he been convicted of so far.

Rather than worrying about semantics, why not focus on a bit more accuracy with your "facts"? People without passports being rendered stateless is nonsense.

As for worrying about whether or not a trial will be fair, Thaksin has already been convicted whilst his own party were in power. Once the court declared him guilty, the trial was declared by him unfair and off he ran. He'll do the same thing with any court that finds him guilty. The only court acceptable to him, and his fans, is the one that declares him not guilty.

I think they are worried about Thaksin speaking some TRUTH... and not just coming out with the usual Government B/S

that is being thrown about at this time.

Associate Thaksin with 'truth' (big caps!), in the same sentence... Sigh...

Why a military court? He has numerous charges to face in the normal criminal court system. These are far more serious than what he been convicted of so far.

Because it still looks politically driven. Why didn't the coup happy military move to impeach him, rather than use less than legally means ? Coups are messy and Thailand is going to find that out more so now than before. Thaksin has time on his side, does the military ?

They explicitly backed an illegal armed uprising in order to create enough instability to overthrow the democratically elected government.

<snip for brevity>

That would be simply hilarious, for anyone who remembers Thaksin's actions, back in 2009/2010. wink.png

But it wouldn't be the first time he's reversed direction, for example he used to regard democracy with somewhat less respect, than he now claims to. rolleyes.gif

Do you mean back in the day when "the UN is not my father" & something about democracy not being the real goal (sorry cannot remember the wording).

Yes, back in that era ... "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal", from this ...

"In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used. "Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress.""

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/headlines/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html

Interesting too how all these politicians like to talk about giving the people 'happiness', isn't it ? One can almost imagine the same words now, coming from the current PM, when describing the government's ambitions. rolleyes.gif

That was back in 2003, when he'd been in-power for a couple-of-years, and the penny was just starting to drop. Previously it had been assumed that, as a billionaire already, he would not need to follow the traditional pattern in Thai politics. facepalm.gif

I think they are worried about Thaksin speaking some TRUTH... and not just coming out with the usual Government B/S

Thaksin speaking the truth - now there's an oxymoron.

A compulsive egotistical liar who will no doubt re-iterate his claim never to have done anything wrong in his life, never ever. All the charges against him, including his conviction (which he tried to bribe the judges on, and then fled), the Krungthai fraud, all the other 15 + : all politically motivated (that's one glib answer for everything, he doesn't want to discuss the detail).

It seems these days, that once you are filthy rich, no matter how you acquired your money, and are accepted as one of the political strata, you are above the law and can get away with anything. And that's true for America and Europe as well as Asia.

His Carlisle Group and Wall St. pals will make sure he gets good media coverage whilst ensuring no journalist dare ask tricky questions or publish anything negative.

But to be fair, he wouldn't know the truth if it bit him.

Like the restored Bourbon dynasty in France these obsessed Thaksin haters appear to have forgotten nothing but equally to have learnt nothing.

I wonder whether they understand that to come up with a passage like:

"His Carlisle Group and Wall St. pals will make sure he gets good media coverage whilst ensuring no journalist dare ask tricky questions or publish anything negative."

- indicates a loss of contact with reality that borders on madness.But the whole post frankly seems deranged and paranoiac.In a way it's sad because there's a powerful case to be made against Thaksin's excesses.I suppose it's expecting too much for the crazies to put together a coherent case.

Damage/credibility of LOS already trashed .

They all a bunch of dodgy old men, only difference was Thaksin was & still is better at the dodgy political thai chess game & empowering/buying the people when needed.

The show must go on :-D Can't wait for the next major climax :-/

It is a law in most countries.

You may have forgotten but Thaksin Shinawatra was charged, given a fair trial with as many witnesses as he wanted, found guilty and sentenced all under the auspices of a PPP government under his brother in law, Somchai Wongsawat with NO military government on the horizon.

He didn't even bother to appeal the verdict but fled the country as a fugitive. Is the what an innocent man would do, especially a man with the amount of money he had/has?

He also has 15 other outstanding charges against him. He has enough money to buy the best lawyers in the world, and if, as he claims, ALL the charges are politically motivated the lawyers should have no problem in getting them dismissed.

Of course to do that he would have to return to Thailand and complete his 2 year jail sentence or possibly get an amnesty and be whitewashed.

What childish mind games. I will never cease to be amazed at the ridiculous comments being made by officials in Thailand. Loving your country has nothing to do with criticizing the current ruling power for not doing the things, indeed ones love for your country means you absolutely should criticism when you see people working against what you believe are the best interests for the country.

This current ruling administration expects everyone to wear rose tinted glasses and walk around in an imaginary land of smiles, peace and tranquility. They need to get real.

I hold no regard for Thaksin but everyone should be entitled to say whatever they wish. This xenophobic attitude is what holds back the country, not some fugitive Ex Pm's comments.

This silencing of criticism of the current administration is not democratic and will never lead to transparent and effective reforms. People need to be heard when it comes to praise and criticism.

Politicians should be hardened to criticism and not worry but stay focused on the job in hand. If someone spouts nonsense no mind should be given and they should simply carry on regardless.

Thailand deserves so much better then petty comments and lack of clear direction in the current difficult economic climate. I hope that one day the people will get what they deserve.

<snip for brevity>

No. It is not at all reasonable to say that Mark's coalition of the unwilling, cobbled together in the army barracks was 'the democratically elected government'!

Thaksin speaking some truth ? "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I would like to give you a detailed account of how I managed to fool the uneducated rural population, cause a terrible and violent division within the country, and at the same time pillage the state coffers to the point whereby some other party was morally forced to step in and bring a halt to it". Would it go something like that, I wonder ?

At least he was an ELECTED crook even if it was the "uneducated" voters who elected him.

Anyone who thinks a junta is "moral" is obviously some sort of Einstein then..........NOT!

Cheez, some posters.

Is this guy kidding? Is there a single person in this country who takes this man seriously? Is it possible they could have found a less competent man, for his position? I mean, if they searched the nation, looking for someone less competent, could they have found a person to fit that bill?

Personally, he said hopes Thaksin will loves his home country because he is a Thai. Would someone with an IQ of over 65 actually say something like that? Or was it his 4 year old son who was actually quoted? What a goombah.

Thaksin should have been repatriated to Thailand years ago, arrested, tried, and sent to prison. He has been nothing but a trouble maker, and there is nobody to blame except for multiple Thai administrations, for this. Sloth, and unwillingness to take him to task has resulted in a man who will never stop making problems for his nation, until the day he dies. He is the very opposite of a patriot. He cares nothing for his nation, and it's people. It is all about him. Only him. You know who he reminds me of? Trump. He has that petty and arrogant quality that defines Trump. Maybe they are related?

Loves his country, hates this junta.

There are only two or three undemocratic countries that would return him to Thailand and he's not stupid enough to visit them. If he sets foot back in this country he's a dead man.

I am still wondering why not issue an international warrant to arrest thaksin? Or international countries don't believe in Thailand justice? Even ASEAN countries like Singapore?

The idea of an international arrest warrant and Interpol is floated here regularly. Why don't they do it? Well, let us try and imagine the paperwork explaining why they want him arrested and sent to Thailand.....

" Dear foreign government, could you please detain one Thaksin Shinawatra, and send him back to us. He used to be the (twice elected) Prime Minister of Thailand. When it looked very much like he would win election a third time we staged a coup and took over. He was convicted of abuse of power (his wife bought a piece of land in a sealed bid auction, and she actually paid over the official valuation to win the auction). Guilty of this heinous crime he left the country. At the subsequent elections his party won, but over a year or so we managed to engineer the dismissal of that government and install one we preferred. At the next election Thaksin's party again won convincingly, and his younger sister became Prime Minister. We obviously couldn't have that, apart from anything else she was a mere woman(!) so we managed to force her dismissal. It took some doing but eventually we managed it. As it looked very much as if she (and Thaksin's party) would win the election which our then constitution required be held, some understanding acquaintances blocked it. Obviously as the countries military we were powerless to step in to ensure that the constitutional democratic process was followed, so we staged another coup. To avoid the embarrassment of breaking the constitution (which we had introduced a few years previously) we tore it up, and now rule by decree.

Please ignore reports of people in detention mysteriously contracting sudden fatal blood disorders, or people being prosecuted for "liking" posts on facebook. We certainly would not do a "Benigno Aquino Job" on Thaksin if you send him back to us (not in public anyway).

Yours ever

The Thai Junta"

Joking apart, any arrest warrant would be sure to be contested in the courts of the country in which it was effected. Courts whose process is not under the control of or influenced by the current Thai regime. This process would require at the very least a comprehensive summary of the evidence against him being presented to these courts. The current conviction is widely regarded as being more than a little bit "iffy". Whilst we are often told here that there are 15 serious charges against him, there is a degree of reluctance to specify the charges, or the evidence. It may be that the Junta have been advised that there is insufficient evidence to bring him back?

Secondly, if they got him back, and put him in prison, he would be more of a thorn in their side than he is at present. He would immediately provide a focus for opposition to their regime, something which they have been careful to avoid creating. Then what, there are those (in the country and here on TVF) who would undoubtedly suggest that they dispose of him - "a Benigno Aquino job" - can you imagine the ramifications, internationally or domestic if that where to happen? Thaksin is also well aware of that likely happening, it is almost certainly why he fled abroad in the first place. His lawyers would point that out at any extradition hearing.

I would suggest that these are the most probable reasons why he is left at liberty. The silly bit is that the Junta simply cannot resist poking him with a stick from time to time. If they just ignored him he would probably have much less influence

I am still wondering why not issue an international warrant to arrest thaksin? Or international countries don't believe in Thailand justice? Even ASEAN countries like Singapore?

you arestill wondering? what don't you understand about free countries not believing in justice in a dictatorship? is that to hard for you to understand? if you lived in a dictatorship country and fled, would you want the country you were in send you back? don't answer that, it would be to much for your brain cells to think about!

There was an interesting interview with Thaksin by Al Jazeera which is probably on their web site

Also available in video.

Thaksin was critical of the Junta's new draft constitution:

"... when it comes to the draft constitution, [this] is the worst constitution ever, ... Thaksin told Al Jazeera, comparing it with something that could have been written in North Korea.1

I think the situation will not allow them to enjoy the power that much because of the way they run the country. Any regime that is careless about their own people will not last long,"

Thaksin also gave similar interviews with The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times and Reuters. Seems he is no longer playing dead. In a sense the Junta has resurrected Thaksin's political involement.

1 The Junta draft constitution is not on par with the1972 North Korean constitution. I find the NK constitution to be more honest as to who controls the people's sovereignty - the Communsit Party. Whereas the Junta draft constitution seeks in effect covert military control of the Thai people's sovereignty.

Translated NK Constitution edited for easier reading attachicon.gif1972 NKConstitution.pdf

Gotta give credit where credit is due - I've never seen anyone footnote their TVF posts before.

Archived