Banks pushing more expensive ATM cards

I opened a savings account for the gf at Kasikorn the other day and asked for the "Global ATM card" I'd seen mentioned on their website. I didn't need a debit card, just a card that could be used overseas. They didn't have it, and they ended up giving us the K-My Debit card, which at 250 baht a year is 50 baht more than I pay for my K-Debit card.

A couple of days later I went in to Bangkok Bank because I couldn't use my Bua Luang card. Many of the staff had never seen one before. They said it was issued before they were born. biggrin.png They said I'd have to change it, and said the new card was 699 baht but high-tech and much better. I asked if they had a cheaper one and they said no. But when I said "OK, cancel it," they quickly told me they had a regular ATM card that was 200 baht a year, but I'd have to wait a week for it.

So it seems banks just push you towards their most expensive debit card and around Sukhumvit they don't even bother to keep the regular ATM cards in stock.

whistling.gif Of course......banks are a BUSINESS.....their purpose is to make money.

However, I changed my Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card to a Be1st card for one reason....I can use that card in Malaysia,Vietnam, Laos, and other neighboring countries if I need emergency money while traveling in those countries.

This was not true of the old blue card I first had here in Thailand from Bangkok Bank when I first opened my Bangkok Bank account.

Don´t know about Bangkok bank.

Kasikorn bank and Krugthai Bank (699 baht, 999 baht per year) card come with a accident insurance.

So i pick that over the cheap once, Yes i have the chance to pick the cheap once (200-250 baht per year) But find the small amount i have to pay more, To be worth it because of the accident insurance i get on top of it.

"They didn't have it, and they ended up giving us the K-My Debit card, which at 250 baht a year is 50 baht more than I pay for my K-Debit card."

I opted for the K-Y card. It slides into the slot much easier and it appears to make withdrawals much less painful than before. My doctor recommended it.

Kasikorn bank and Krugthai Bank (699 baht, 999 baht per year) card come with a accident insurance.

So i pick that over the cheap once, Yes i have the chance to pick the cheap once (200-250 baht per year) But find the small amount i have to pay more, To be worth it because of the accident insurance i get on top of it.

You should check the coverage on that, I tried it and the hospital said can not after a minor accident but I'm unsure the legal loopholes in their t+c as to what you actually get for the extra but it couldn't be much medical treatment for that measly amount...

You should check the coverage on that, I tried it and the hospital said can not after a minor accident but I'm unsure the legal loopholes in their t+c as to what you actually get for the extra but it couldn't be much medical treatment for that measly amount...

I know the amount is not big.

All so, both card have live insurance to be pay out to my wife, again not Hugh amount, But for the small money the card cost, i welcome it to help my wife if i am going to leave this world.

I have a friend use the Krungthai insurance with no problem at all after a Accident...

Show hes bank card to a hospital on the list of hospital Krungthai have deal with, Hospital call a number and check.

And no problem.

Around two months ago a Bangkok Bank ATM card ate my Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card. So, I went to my Bangkok Bank branch, which was the branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok (I live in Bangkok), told them what happened, needed a replacement debit card.

I had the plain jane magnetic strip only card called the Be1st debit card because I want to be able to use my debit card in any Thai bank ATM versus just Bangkok Bank ATMs only like if you have the Bangkok Bank Be1st Smart or Rabbit (chipped) card. Now I didn't tell the clerk that I just wanted another Be1st magnetic strip only card....I just told the clerk I was here to get a replacement card since the ATM ate mine. The first thing the clerk did is pull out placard/menu showing the cards they had which was the Be1st Card (Bt200 annual fee), the Be1st Smart Card (normally Bt300 annual fee but currently Bt200), the Rabbit Card (normally Bt300, but currently Bt200), and the Rabbit Sirraj Card which includes accident insurance (Bt100 joining fee plus Bt599 annual fee...adds up to Bt699 as the OP mentioned).

Link to Bangkok Bank Various Debit Cards

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/B1stnewdefault.aspx

I pointed to the plain jane Be1st card, the clerk took the placard away and didn't attempt any sales pitch on me....had the Be1st replacement card about 5 minutes later.

It can vary from bank to bank and branch to branch within the same bank family as to how aggressive they may be pushing cards that come with accident insurance. The excuse they use about not having a "certain" card in stock, like the regular non-accident insurance low annual fee card(s) is probably untrue...just a sales tactic. Then again maybe it is true as they intentionally don't keep them in stock so they can truthfully use it as a sales tactic to push the pricier cards that come with accident insurance. Banksters they are.