Man in Hospital After Suffering Injuries in Pattaya Jail

snoop1130

This is tragic, this poor guys only offence is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody. Whatt happened to this guy must be dream come true for people who vilify fellow foreigners who over stay. Visa sub forum here is full of posters calling for harsh punishment for foreigners who have over stayd, a very minor, victimless offence.

Overstaying is NOT a victimless offence. This guy is a victim of others overstaying. Others will be victims of his overstaying.

Authorities are sick to death of those who have no regard or respect for Thai laws, so throw offenders in the pen. You are in Thailand, so respect their laws.

I have no idea how he sustained the injuries, but others will no doubt be sure the BiB bashed him. Time may tell on that point.

It's not difficult to do the right thing, so don't bleat about victimless crime, minor breach, breach of no consequence, etc.

If your visa requires border runs, do them. They're part of the price you pay to stay in Thailand.

I see, time and again, posts looking to short circuit the visa requirements. Just comply.

I didn't realise that this was a forum for alter boys.

Let he amongst ye who is without sin cast the first stone.

Ouch!! Who threw that? Come on, who was it? She did she did she did -------- he did he did he did

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for 'vilifying a fellow foreigner', each overstayer is the victim of previous overstayers who have made it a hard road for those who follow.. The authorities want to stop it as a consequence of the practice being so widespread, hence the new laws from March 20.

Yeah, sure, over-stayers don't harm anybody--but gee, I wonder why the overstay penalties are becoming more strict and all current immigration laws are being more strictly enforced?

It's speculation to say an increase in overstayers caused the rule changes. We aren't privy to the statistics for overstay, so you shouldn't state any increase as fact. You also fail to mention the other extremely likely reason - the new authoritarian military government. It's possible overstayers still form the same small % of foreigners as they always have, for years, but it's only being addressed now by leaders that are known to be anti-foreigner - foreign investment is down and the prime minister has even joked in press conferences about closing the borders. They've also blamed western influences for some of the country's problems in television interviews.

Overstayers have been around for 40 years or more, so its not them, its just the new government and immigration becoming more xenophobic by the day. The Thai government is getting heavily criticized all over the world, so they are simply clamping down on all vulnerable foreigners in childish retaliation. Even the foreign Press are unable to get visas these days. This government is feeling pressurized by the UN, European Union, Amnesty International, etc, etc and they hate it. So they always make a big deal out of any foreigner committing even the most simplest of "crimes". Its ridiculous to call overstaying a "crime", and how can one respect the Thai (elastic) law when even the police, government, judges, hi-sos etc don't respect it. Laws against defamation, public assembly, indeed, criticizing the government in any way, have proliferated under this military government.[/size]

[/quote

What's xenophobic about following the law as it has been for the last 40 years.You guys realize you are being played by TVF,don't you.Naive if you don't.Nothing in Australian media about Thailand.Military junta and all,they all still trade with Thailand.If you get your news from this forum,your views will be seriously warped.

For that price tag my missus would still be there.Exaggerating doesn't make your yarn any better.It shows you in a poor light.

Are you "exaggerating" when you say you'd leave your missus in there?

Either way it's not a good look.

Where is that bs emicon when i need it.What i am saying is 200,000 baht to get the wife outa jail for opening her gob.It is either bs or the bloke is the biggest dill that ever set foot in Thailand.How many times have you women go off and everybody ignores them,including police.It's all hot air.200k.laughable.

Some police officers aren't perfect, far from it, but I don't believe they simply inflict such violence because of a minor offence. I have the feeling there's a lot more to this story than we're being told. Maybe he got out of control, maybe he mouthed off too much or maybe he just had a fight with an inmate. Who knows?

Many of you extrapolating this case to Thailand as a whole are simply naive and ignorant as to the independence of Chonburi, and specifically Pattaya, relative to the Kingdom as a whole. Chonburi has long existed as a semi-independent domain ruled by an incredibly corrupt system headed by notorious godfathers (cao chiwits or Lords of Life in an older Thai vernacular) that makes the rest of Thailand look as if it is administered by nuns. You can choose to make business, or just live and party in Chonburi, but you do so at your own risk, a risk greater than elsewhere in Thailand.

i know a frenchman who got arrested for being drunk on a scooter but didnt take too kindly to being handcuffed. he was inside for 3 days before being released. everyone else that got stopped paid on the spot and went home.....jus' sayin'

This is tragic, this poor guys only offence is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody. Whatt happened to this guy must be dream come true for people who vilify fellow foreigners who over stay. Visa sub forum here is full of posters calling for harsh punishment for foreigners who have over stayd, a very minor, victimless offence.

I totally commend you for your like minded views given that according to heartless individual ex-pats on tv overstaying is a terrible crime deserving severe penalties. I detest these morons and keep a wide-berth being prone to lash out myself at their sick over the top attitudes towards their fellow countrymens hardships. Would love to throw out all these cretins from this country to keep harmony amongst us people who care for others.

That's life' we all have our crosses to bare 'some more than others' unfortunately.

It's all part of the break the law a little bit and it's ok syndrome.I have a visa extension,i stay.No extension and caught,i don't stay.Simple as that.A frog is no more a fellow country man than a Martian. If he was a compatriate,my feelings would be the same.I don't play favourites.It pisses me off that people can't pay a pittance to get a visa or extention but are down the bar,pissing it up.These are the true morons,risking all for a few baht,then when caught, want the hat pasted around to bail them out.

The foreigners are initiating the scam.They,or their agent approach Immigration and offer to pay extra to fix their "problem".These are our poorer farang,who haven't enough in the bank,but can survive here on the State pension.

You don't say.

I think some places can themselves be quite inventive when it comes to "under the table" things.

16 k retirement extension

200 baht Sadao border

5,000 baht ED extensions

200 baht tip on top of the usual 1,000 with no receipt at VOA counter in Suvarnabhumi in the past.

Etc.

We apologize to have initiated these things.

It is just taking advantage of lowly paid workers.They all have families.Wave the right sort of money under my nose and i would waver as well.It's the western way,exploit the poor.By the way,you were ripped if you paid 16k.it's 12k.Why on earth would you pay 1000 baht,plus tip for a VOA.

Look, I think we do share some common concepts but not all. Lol.

I'm of the opinion that yes, everything has a price in Thailand.

I'm not retired so that 16K is just a figure I got from these forums, but glad to hear it's only 12K.

But for you to say that it's because of the Farangs that these people take tea money is a little bit exaggerated don't you think?

I don't think we taught them to ask for 800 baht from the airport to town in Bangkok instead of 200 baht or use dodgy meters. Or not use meter in Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, etc.

I don't think we taught them that to milk more money from us, they have to invent a new term called "Re entry permit", because that's just another way to get 1,000 baht.

I will not bore you with examples here, but I remain in my belief that they are born and raised by their families with the mentality to rip off Farangs.

So what are you saying, that their leaders along the years inoculated this mentality in their heads, and it's only a more poor and less educated version of what Western governments do?

Maybe, but to simplify the story, I would just say that right now they are just taking the pi$$. Being greedy.

Greed isn't good I'm telling you.

PS: And have a look around, this is not New York, I was having a coffee a few hours ago in the middle of Bangkok Sukhumvit and a rat kept running around a few times back and forth.

Edited by lkv

Why on earth would you pay 1000 baht,plus tip for a VOA.

I don't think you know what a VOA is, not every nationality gets a visa exemption. Some have to pay, and they often want a tip on top of the price, which is 1000 baht.

In fact it may be going up to 2000 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887975-fee-for-visa-on-arrival-to-double-from-1000-baht-to-2000-baht/

Why on earth would you pay 1000 baht,plus tip for a VOA.

I don't think you know what a VOA is, not every nationality gets a visa exemption. Some have to pay, and they often want a tip on top of the price, which is 1000 baht.

In fact it may be going up to 2000 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887975-fee-for-visa-on-arrival-to-double-from-1000-baht-to-2000-baht/

No it's a slightly different story, they had two counters a normal one where you'd pay 1,000 and a "fast lane" where you would pay 1,200. The thing is they would only give you the receipt for 1,000 at the fast lane. So it was kind of semi-official, but it was happening in Suvarnabhumi and I think that's stopped last year, fortunately I did not check that counter for a few years.

But look, I mean the point is I don't fancy this current approach that they are taking, and those lines about "overstayers", "visa runners", "bad farangs" are stories for local mass consumption and quite frankly bed time stories from my point of view. They sounded so convincing that even I started believing in them for a second. But then I thought about "purifying the society" and what's happening "on the ground" and I started laughing.

Ah, but now you can see that we really only vilify them for their own good. Look what can happen when you don't toe the line in the LOS.

It is always possible that he was "under the influence" when arrested and got arrogant or "mouthy" (or worse) while in custody. Police everywhere in the world do not much like that. Remember where you are and exercise verbal restraint. We will have to wait and see.

Lets put your allegation to the test, shall we ?

Who on this form feels that over stayers deserve to have violence inflicted upon them ?

Whitemouse says that this forum is full of people who dream about this kind of thing .

Is he correct or is he just being abusive about forum posters without reason ?

Whitemouse is correct. This forum is stuffed full of people who will see this as " He got what he deserved "

I class it the same as riding a motorcycle without a license or helmet

That said I don't believe the police would inflict such violence simply for being on overstay and would hazard a guess he decided to not come quietly shall we say

If the French guy did actually become violent, which is a distinct possibility, then , it would be correct to say that he got what he deserves, or at least it was his own fault .

But that isnt what Whitemouse said . He said that many TV members would be in favour of the Police physically attacking over stayers , which I believe to be incorrect .

Having harsher punishment for overstayers may be of the opinion of some, but I have yet to read anyone who is in favour of violent attacks carried out by the Police

Why would the Frenchman even need to become "violent" All he would have to do is say something perceived as an insult.....

Have you never heard of Thai police waving their guns, firing at people they don't like, or running them over repeatedly with a car?

Have you never heard of an occasion when a Thai male has beaten or hacked someone to death for a perceived insult?

Who on this form feels that over stayers deserve to have violence inflicted upon them ?

Whitemouse says that this forum is full of people who dream about this kind of thing .

Whitemouse is correct. This forum is stuffed full of people who will see this as " He got what he deserved "

That said I don't believe the police would inflict such violence simply for being on overstay and would hazard a guess he decided to not come quietly shall we say

If the French guy did actually become violent, which is a distinct possibility, then , it would be correct to say that he got what he deserves, or at least it was his own fault .

But that isnt what Whitemouse said . He said that many TV members would be in favour of the Police physically attacking over stayers , which I believe to be incorrect .

Having harsher punishment for overstayers may be of the opinion of some, but I have yet to read anyone who is in favour of violent attacks carried out by the Police

Why would the Frenchman even need to become "violent" All he would have to do is say something perceived as an insult.....

Have you never heard of Thai police waving their guns, firing at people they don't like, or running them over repeatedly with a car?

Have you never heard of an occasion when a Thai male has beaten or hacked someone to death for a perceived insult?

No no no no.... "no true thai would ever do such a thing!".

Overstaying is NOT a victimless offence. This guy is a victim of others overstaying. Others will be victims of his overstaying.

Authorities are sick to death of those who have no regard or respect for Thai laws, so throw offenders in the pen. You are in Thailand, so respect their laws.

I have no idea how he sustained the injuries, but others will no doubt be sure the BiB bashed him. Time may tell on that point.

It's not difficult to do the right thing, so don't bleat about victimless crime, minor breach, breach of no consequence, etc.

If your visa requires border runs, do them. They're part of the price you pay to stay in Thailand.

I see, time and again, posts looking to short circuit the visa requirements. Just comply.

Personally, I obey every jot and tittle of Thai law, and also Thai customs as I learn them. Out of humility, and out of gratitude, and out of respect. But there is no Thai law allowing beating of a helpless, handcuffed prisoner for failing to truckle. And while the reactions of police who encounter backtalk may be understandable, the piling on by arrogant louts like yourself is not. Does it make you feel the big man, to cheer when a man is kicked when he is down? I hope that one day you experience personally the violence that you now countenance so glibly.

Have I missed a post that had eye witness accounts of the police beating this guy?

Obviously, since police all stick together, there can and will be no eyewitness accounts. Thus we have to make inference from what is known - as any good police detective would normally do when investigating a crime.

There Must be some CCTV footage .

He has quite substantial injuries from "falling over"

trauma all over his body from convulsons? sure! and thailand is a free democracy! the Thai police are always polite! and the tooth fairy will bring you gold for your eye teeth! bull shit! those cowards beat a little man plain and simple!

It's fact people with grand Mal seizure lose there short term memory for lengthy periods. So he wouldn't have known and thought he got beat up

Probably his was an alcohol withdrawal seizure.

Serves him right, you breaka the law you go to jail :-)

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Not necessary correct..I used to suffer from epilepsy and had many grand Mal and never suffered memory loss.. For sure was very tired after and just always collapsed in to a deep sleep but when I came round knew what had happened up to the fit...Used to have what they called Petit Mals maybe 400 hundred a day and with those would take a while to realise what had happened as very disorientated afterwards... Edited by Nigeone

Agree with what you say, but it's also the authorities that have created this mess. Money under the table for visas, payments at the border to be allowed through, etc. It's all a money making scheme for many....with the authorities turning a blind eye...or are actually involved...

Yes indeed and when the investigation of the Erawan bombing indicated huge corruption at Sa Kaew Immigration, even the PM made some pretty strong statements and whole offices of regional Immigration staff were transferred en-masse overnight. We thought a crackdown on the corrupt practices of immigration offices across the country was in the pipeline but that didn't happen. Too many feathers would be ruffled there. Too many troughs would get spilled.

The same can be said for the corruption at Land Transport Offices nationwide that enables people to get a driving license without any testing.

Or the corruption of the police that accept a bribe when they pull over a driver and find that he has no driving license at all.

People in local government and police offices get moved to 'inactive posts' daily across LOS. That simply means they are back on base salary and excluded from collecting on the various scams and backhanders they have set up to boost their retirement funds. Sort of, "Tough luck, you got caught. Next...?"

The guy done something silly and ended up in jail.

Jails are dangerous places.

Don't put yourself in a position where you will end up in jail... Simple!!

No its not simple! Many people end up in jail here when they have done absolutely nothing!!

And millions, ie. a whole lot more than "many", do NOT end up in jail for doing absolutely nothing.

... Obviously, since police all stick together, there can and will be no eyewitness accounts. Thus we have to make inference from what is known - as any good police detective would normally do when investigating a crime.

You mean make things up as you go along... like the RTP?

Good to see that like myself, you are a card-carrying member of the If You Can't Beat Then, Join Them Club.

Many of you extrapolating this case to Thailand as a whole are simply naive and ignorant as to the independence of Chonburi, and specifically Pattaya, relative to the Kingdom as a whole. Chonburi has long existed as a semi-independent domain ruled by an incredibly corrupt system headed by notorious godfathers (cao chiwits or Lords of Life in an older Thai vernacular) that makes the rest of Thailand look as if it is administered by nuns. You can choose to make business, or just live and party in Chonburi, but you do so at your own risk, a risk greater than elsewhere in Thailand.

That's a fanciful vision you have there. Maybe you have missed the frequent, high-profile activities of Bangkok-based cops on local busts, impromptu inspections and wing-clipping missions, replete with army support. Then there's the not infrequent ousting of the incumbent police chief at Soi 9. You know, the 'inactive post' shuffle.

Pattaya feeds many in office in Chonburi. Subsequently, Chonburi feeds many in Bangkok. There's no local, criminal fiefdom that can't be subjugated by 'head office' in Bangkok. The same myth is being propagated about the southern island 'mafia' being somehow untouchable. Any criminal autonomy they exercise is totally at the behest of the local 'lords of life' in provincial capitals and they in turn can only operate with the acquiescence of those in Bangkok.

Yes maybe he was very drunk and mouthed off at police or he was put in a cell with other people and mouthed off at them, other than that why would he be bashed for being an overstayer??

The only positive in all of this is it will send a strong message to overstayers. The noose is also tightening as of 20th March.

The sign at immigration says it all "good guys in, bad guys out"

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Edited by mcfish

That's a fanciful vision you have there. Maybe you have missed the frequent, high-profile activities of Bangkok-based cops on local busts, impromptu inspections and wing-clipping missions, replete with army support. Then there's the not infrequent ousting of the incumbent police chief at Soi 9. You know, the 'inactive post' shuffle.

Pattaya feeds many in office in Chonburi. Subsequently, Chonburi feeds many in Bangkok. There's no local, criminal fiefdom that can't be subjugated by 'head office' in Bangkok. The same myth is being propagated about the southern island 'mafia' being somehow untouchable. Any criminal autonomy they exercise is totally at the behest of the local 'lords of life' in provincial capitals and they in turn can only operate with the acquiescence of those in Bangkok.

well sure, but the family that runs Pattaya and Chonburi is untouchable because they do have the support head office, unlike the red shirt police chief

at Pattaya police station the police very rarely enter the cells, instead they have a group of long term prison stayers that keep order in the cells and organize if people want to buy out or buy drugs that the police supply, some of them are particularly nasty characters and on yabba and if there was a beating in the cells it was most likely them rather then the police

Edited by phycokiller

Yes maybe he was very drunk and mouthed off at police or he was put in a cell with other people and mouthed off at them, other than that why would he be bashed for being an overstayer??

Yes because it's perfectly fine to beat someone up for being "mouthy"....

If he was beaten in jail, it could have come from the police or the inmates, but I doubt it was a reaction to his overstay--more likely his attitude.

However, to say, " . . . this poor guys only offence (sic) is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody . . . "

I can't believe that so many of you actually think it is no big deal to violate the laws of a country in which you stay. Yeah, sure, over-stayers don't harm anybody--but gee, I wonder why the overstay penalties are becoming more strict and all current immigration laws are being more strictly enforced?

I too believe in obeying the laws of the country you're in, especially banana republics. However, as the recent Bridge Playing stupidity has proven, you don't necessarily need to be doing anything illegal to end up on the wrong side of a jail cell here in the Land of Smiles. And once placed in jail, as is evident in this case, your health and welfare are of little concern to the authorities, especially in banana republics where jail conditions seem to be purposefully dehumanizing. I'm sure that The Land of Smiles doesn't give a hoot about the UN Human Rights Commissions rules regarding treatment of prisoners. However, the same statement applies in my home country (supposively developed), just to a lesser degree. It's not good to be in a prison anywhere. Too easy to be assaulted, beat, raped, or killed over what amounts to a misdemeanor or petty offense.

"Ahhh, the Frog was probably lipping off to the BIB or inmates. He deserved what he got. Overstays are crimes against humanity don't you know?"

It's amazing how high and mighty, let alone full of self-righteousness some TV members can be. You gotta realize, all it takes is you or someone your with to break some obscure law you didn't know even existed and suddenly you find yourself in the French guy's shoes. Until he's interviewed, no one will know what happened that led to a brutal assault.

It is simply amazing—not only you, but the several other TV members who liked your post.

First, ridiculous or not, the bridge players most likely did break the antiquated, but still on the books law about the amount of cards allowed—ah, ah, before you even think it, I am not saying the police were justified in the raid.

It is possible the police were led to believe a group of farangs playing cards were gambling—that is against the law—and the only law the police could prove was broken was the number of decks of cards allowed. However, after finding out it was only blue hairs playing bridge, rather than lose face, the police had to seek some form of closure—and they did.

I’ll not even comment on the absurdity of Western expectations for Eastern actions.

Second, I said, if he was beaten, it could have come from jailers or inmates, but I doubted it was because of overstay, more likely his attitude.

How do you construe that to mean I thought he deserved what he got? And you, my friend, are the one who used the derogatory term, “frog.”

What is even more offensive is that not only you, but several other TV members who liked your accusation also misinterpreted what I said.

What am I to think; I somehow said he deserved it or that you all cannot read?

Or, could it be you all think overstay is a victimless offense?

How does my believing overstay hurts us all make me high and mighty and self-righteous? Especially since overstay laws are now more strict for us all—had fewer ne’re do wells gone on overstay, the rules may have stayed the same.

What is this obscure law to which you refer?

Do you mean to say you did not know you were supposed to leave or get an extension to stay longer by the date stamped in your passport?

Or, do you not care and you’d rather just blame the Thais or another farang who disagrees with you?

Whatever your response, I am sure it will be equally misinformed.

Personally, I obey every jot and tittle of Thai law, and also Thai customs as I learn them. Out of humility, and out of gratitude, and out of respect. But there is no Thai law allowing beating of a helpless, handcuffed prisoner for failing to truckle. And while the reactions of police who encounter backtalk may be understandable, the piling on by arrogant louts like yourself is not. Does it make you feel the big man, to cheer when a man is kicked when he is down? I hope that one day you experience personally the violence that you now countenance so glibly.

Man,you are way.way off track.Just because the TVF detectives say this and that doesn't make it true.Wishing violence on anybody is not cool.You know nothing,we all know nothing,maybe the frog just had a fit.BIB tell the truth sometimes.

Wrong. When you imprison a guy, and obviously have disarmed him, his safety becomes your responsibility. If he gets the shit kicked out of him while under your control, the burden of proof is on you.