Health Insurance Advice

I'm choosing a health insurance plan for myself and would appreciate the advice from people who have experience with the providers in Thailand.

Basically:

- I'm early 30's

- I exercise, eat healthy and in good physical state

- I don't get sick very often and don't remember the last time I went to a hospital.

- I don't ride bikes/motorcycles and don't do dangerous sports.

I probably just need a plan that covers serious illnesses and accidents.

I'd appreciate any advice about the different providers in terms of quality of service and cost.

Thanks in advance.

Pupa is probably your best option as a policy with them will provide you coverage globally except in the USA. At your age you can get good coverage for less then a 1000 baht a month.

www.bupa.co.th

its a wise decision to have it here as you never know, and its the un insured who eventually find them selves in a difficult spot.

Thanks. I was just looking at Bupa.

Are you covered by one of their plans? If you don't mind me asking, which plan did you choose and how has the service been so far?

I was looking at the platinum plan with maximum inpatient benefit of 1,000,000 THB (not sure if this is more than necessary).

The quote I got is 2,384 THB per month.

MSH International has great rates and coverage, but I have never had a claim so I can't comment on that.

Great rates..........Their Pearl policy for mid 50s was over $1700 US - per QUARTER!......bah.gif

MSH International has great rates and coverage, but I have never had a claim so I can't comment on that.

Great rates..........Their Pearl policy for mid 50s was over $1700 US - per QUARTER!......bah.gif

Don't know what you where looking at.

Their Vital Asia policy is $2249 US-per YEAR for ages 50-54 years old and $2527 US -per YEAR for 55-59 years old

I pay $3280 US per year and I am 62 years old

Their Vital Asia policy is $2249 US-per YEAR for ages 50-54 years old and $2527 US -per YEAR for 55-59 years old

Thanks racyrick for responding. My quote came from here https://www.asfe-expat.com/index.php?a=en&b=Our-Solutions&c=First-Expat-Plus and was unaware of the Asia specific policy until you mentioned it. I am now waiting for a mail quote to see what that is. One issue I noticed in the benefits is that the room allowance is quite low ($280 about 10k baht). I need to look more closely at the small print if the overall quote is within bounds. Thanks again.

Thanks. I was just looking at Bupa.

Are you covered by one of their plans? If you don't mind me asking, which plan did you choose and how has the service been so far?

I was looking at the platinum plan with maximum inpatient benefit of 1,000,000 THB (not sure if this is more than necessary).

The quote I got is 2,384 THB per month.

I have one other plans for 4 years now, used it last year and they covered 99.0% of the bill, I was never involved give them your card and its done.

Make sure you check your quote and the policy you want via there website

Thanks racyrick for responding. My quote came from here https://www.asfe-expat.com/index.php?a=en&b=Our-Solutions&c=First-Expat-Plus and was unaware of the Asia specific policy until you mentioned it. I am now waiting for a mail quote to see what that is. One issue I noticed in the benefits is that the room allowance is quite low ($280 about 10k baht). I need to look more closely at the small print if the overall quote is within bounds. Thanks again.

THAts double what i pay for Bupa.

THAts double what i pay for Bupa.

JESSVANPELT can you tell us exactly which Bupa policy you have and give us an idea of your age and premium?

When I looked at Bupa prices for Platinum ranged between 58k and 75k for late 50s individual (75k was 5m of cover). I am intrigued how your costs can be 50% of the MSH ones quoted?

:I have received a reply from MSH in Bangkok on their Asia Plus policies and it is looking quite competitive at 61k baht for late 50s individual.

Here is part of a reply I received from them to some questions I asked -

Our Asia Care Vital, Harmony, Optimum plans are still available.

The key highlight of the ASIA CARE PLUS plans is affordable premiums yet high coverage. The key differences to our previous plans are lower standard private room coverage (5,440 THB vs. 8,400 THB) and new stripped down IPD/OPD plans offering no dental/maternity cover.

The plan is not designed for to pay in full for all hospitals. If you stay overnight at Bumrungrad, you may have to pay out of pocket, but just a small amount.

However, you would still be covered in full in most hospitals in Thailand.

For example:

· If the you stay in Bumrungrad hospital:

o Total charge per night = 11,180 THB / Asia Care PLUS plan pays up to 9,880 THB & you pay 1,300 THB

§ Room rate = 6,740 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays up to 5,440 THB

§ Meal rate = 970 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays in full

§ Nursing service charge = 2,710 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays in full

§ Other medical service charge = 760 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays in full

· If you stay in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

o Total charge per night = 9,800 THB / Asia Care PLUS plan pays in full

§ Room rate = 3,800 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays up to 5,440 & therefore pays in full

§ Nursing service charge = 3,200 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays in full

§ Other medical service charge = 1,500 / Asia Care PLUS plan pays in full

In case of a medical emergency where you are put into an ICU, you will be covered in full

I have no idea how accurate the costs mentioned actually are?