Noisy, rude Russian just moved in above. What to do?

​Noisy & aggressive Russian just moved in above my room. What to do?

How would you handle this problem?

I rent a pleasant condo in Bangkok suburbs. Been here a year. No desire to move again. Room above vacant for the past year. Beginning of this month, new tenant moved in up there. Three days now, loud, pounding footsteps back and forth overhead. Very loud, as if jumping up and down or doing aerobics, but I'm sure is just ordinary walking with heavy footsteps.

This evening I went up, knocked on the door, introduced myself as neighbor below. Russian man, age about 28, tall, heavy build. Speaks a bit of English. Very aggressive attitude from the beginning. I won’t go into details, you can imagine. He kept saying, “If you want to go to Police, go! I can live here!” Zero attitude of conciliation. And he has Russian girlfriend/wife with him, so acting extra manly in front of her.

Next, I went down to lobby and security guard came back with me a second time. Again, aggressive attitude. “I live here! What you want from me? Walk all time on toes?” Russian doesn’t speak any Thai. Security guard doesn’t speak any any Russian.

Friends who’ve encountered Russian problems tell me only way to handle them is to hit ‘em hard and fast. The only thing they understand is overwhelming power, immediately applied.

1. Is that correct?
  2. If correct, what is the best way to do it?

My personal inclination is the Thai approach: soft-soft, one step at a time. But that won't work with this Russian. Of course I will complain to “Ne-te” condo management, but, being Thai, they certainly will avoid all conflict. So I don’t expect any help from there.

I don’t know any policemen, but if I did, I’d invite 3-4 of them to visit some evening after their shift, and we could go up for another chat with the Russian. But if he continues with the pounding footsteps, what then? It’s not a crime. And, really, I don’t want to get involved with the police in any way.

I'm willing to put some money into a solution, if that's what it takes. I certainly won't depend on any sense of "fair play" from the Russian.

I will be grateful for any practical suggestions of how to handle this Russian problem.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You admit he's just walking. I doubt he intentionally walked heavy to bother you. That's how he walks. The problem is the construction of the condo. Not the Russian. He's free to enjoy his condo normally and walking around is normally. If talking about loud construction noises at night, that'd be different. I'm sure he is rude, as you say, but I think confronting him will only make it worse. Sure if it happened to me, such a complaint, I would have been polite and said I will make an effort to not walk so heavy, and I would, but I still need to walk around, but I don't think the Russian's response is that outrageous given it's normal to walk in your own unit.

Legally, I don't see that you have a leg to stand on. It's just unfortunate for you.

Edited by Jingthing

You admit he's just walking. I doubt he intentionally walked heavy to bother you. That's how he walks.

​Indeed, I'm sure you are correct.

If talking about loud construction noises at night, that'd be different.

Nothing like that.

Legally, I don't see that you have a leg to stand on. It's just unfortunate for you.

Legally, you are exactly right. But this is Thailand. "Legally" doesn't mean all that much here. What might be done? If I were Russian, what might I do?

As unfortunate as it is - and I do have genuine sympathy for you - you have not handled it well.

An introductory meeting is unlikely to develop into a discussion about 'heavy walking'. I suspect you raised the subject and he put you in your place. He is unlikely to invite you to go to the police on the back of a basic introduction.

Regrettably, you have shot your bolt and I go along with the advice from NeverSure to move.

You're going to wind up with an enemy if you don't already have one.

​...NeverSure, let's turn that around. He's already got an enemy. I'm posting here seeking ideas for tactics. Tactics suitable for Thailand.

you have not handled it well.

​What would have been a better first step? That might give me an idea of what I can do next to solve the problem.

you have not handled it well.

​What would have been a better first step? That might give me an idea of what I can do next to solve the problem.

Not much help here I am afraid as the die appears to have been cast.

I doubt the Russian will suddenly become your friend - although you could try taking him a conciliatory house warming bottle of vodka.

Beyond that, keep a low profile, suck it and see for a couple of weeks and then move if the annoyance continues,

You have one chance going the official way. Complain directly to the condominium management and ask them to forward your complaint to the landlord who rentend the room out to the Russian in the first place. If said landlord asks the Russian to respect other tenants right to a quiet night rest, it could be a nice yellow card. In case he violates the house rules repeatedly, his rental contract could become void.

you could try taking him a conciliatory house warming bottle of vodka.

​That's actually a possibility. I could bring up a bottle every month, for that matter. Just leave it hanging on the door knob and let him figure it out.

​And I'm looking for other ideas besides booze.

Edited by PT4

wear ear plugs at night. during the day, try to leave more or go in a room/space where the noise is minimal.

then plan on moving in a few months, and find a place that is built like a fortress....if possible

it's the building.....but if this guy hates you he will try to be louder and louder just to make you miserable.

if you can move next month, i would. you can't win this...

Hard to believe but there are some apartments not so solidly built and some people who slam their heels down with EACH step of their lives. I had to move out of an apartment in the states due to heavy walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could try taking him a conciliatory house warming bottle of vodka.

​That's actually a possibility. I could bring up a bottle every month, for that matter. Just leave it hanging on the door knob and let him figure it out.

​And I'm looking for other ideas besides booze.

Buy him a fitted carpet and some carpet slippers.

Have you ever noticed where a source a sound is quite quiet but gets amplified as it resonates through walls and ceilings. Maybe he is doing nothing wrong and as stated earlier the condo construction may be causing the issue.

The next tenants may have children rolling toys along the floor instead.

First step is go and apologise to him and his lady, second is to look for a new place with better construction.

PS. Boots sell earplugs,

Posted from my phone using predictive text, please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.

Buy him a fitted carpet and some carpet slippers.

That's a practical idea -- with a second layer of foam under the carpet. Certainly worth considering. It's the most practical idea so far. Thank you, "thaibry".

The next tenants may have children rolling toys along the floor instead.

​​​
Solved with the carpet.

First step is go and apologise to him and his lady,

Why wouldn't his first step be to come and apologize to me? And then to come again and thank me for the carpet?

Edited by PT4

when i was living in thailand, i did meet a dozens russian people, and all of them were really friendly.

I wonder where you meet all these nasty russian.

In my heavy experience, russian are cold tempered people, usually they dont get involved in brawl... but if you start a fight with them, be warned these people are not like the british pussy....they fight like men

You admit he's just walking. I doubt he intentionally walked heavy to bother you. That's how he walks. The problem is the construction of the condo. Not the Russian. He's free to enjoy his condo normally and walking around is normally.

Not really.

I've come across these people too. They are heavy, ignorant and flat-footed, not to mention positively bizarre in the way they behave.

They should be living in barns, not condos, and that's all there is to it.

Welcome to Thailand and another problem with no viable solution.

He is a tenant paying money and the owner will not lose money by removing him.

Thai Condo Management will avoid conflict.

Cannot blame the Russian for poor construction.

You should have realized with an empty unit above you, the peace and quiet would end sooner or later.

You should have been prepared.

Do not see any choice but moving, but then again, realize noise is a part of Thailand and could happen anywhere again.

You admit he's just walking. I doubt he intentionally walked heavy to bother you. That's how he walks. The problem is the construction of the condo. Not the Russian. He's free to enjoy his condo normally and walking around is normally.

Not really.

I've come across these people too. They are heavy, ignorant and flat-footed, not to mention positively bizarre in the way they behave.

They should be living in barns, not condos, and that's all there is to it.

Same conclusion. Nothing practically the OP can do except get earplugs.

You should have been prepared.​

Exactly how would you have prepared? Maybe your preparations will provide a useful idea how to solve the problem now. (Besides the obvious earplugs, already mentioned multiple times.)

Edited by PT4

Again, aggressive attitude. “I live here! What you want from me? Walk all time on toes?”

It's very likely that he was rather polite and well restrained within the remit of Russian culture. What many Western Europeans and North Americans mistake as aggression is most of the time "civil" behaviour. It's nothing against you; it is merely the outward and unbridled display of emotions. Holding back is often seen as impolite and insincere in Russian culture.

Next time you turn up at his door, bring a bottle of vodka and some bread; you will be best pals for ever and may even start enjoying your condo "properly" to the detriment of the people living below you.

Edited by Morakot

Noise seems to be the biggest complaint Farangs have about living in Thailand

some of which is justified,others would complain if they heard a mouse farting.

Be very careful,you could start WW3,

regards Worgeordie

Again, aggressive attitude. I live here! What you want from me? Walk all time on toes?

It's very likely that he was rather polite and well restrained within the remit of Russian culture. What many Western Europeans and North Americans mistake as aggression is most of the time "civil" behaviour. It's nothing against you; it is merely the outward and unbridled display of emotions. Holding back is often seen as impolite and insincere in Russian culture.

Next time you turn up at his door, bring a bottle of vodka and some bread; you will be best pals for ever and may even start enjoying your condo "properly" to the detriment of the people living below you.

The master diplomat has spoken. But what for the wife? Thai-style matryoshka dolls - buffalos within buffalos? But don't give flowers. Russian men are supposedly famous for giving flowers - he might think you're moving on his wife and use your head to make more noise on the floor.

Other points to consider, as they are young maybe they are just on a few months vacation, or does it appear that they are working somewhere?

If you have any friends in the condo office maybe for a bit of palm greasing you could have a look at a photocopy what visa they are on, at least that way you will know whether its going to be long term problem

You have been spoilt having an empty appartment above for some time. Those times are over.

Do you know how long the guy intends to stay there? Except moving to a more solid building there is not much you can do about it. Complaing to the police about people walking in their condo has no use. Hiring an exterminator to get rid of the russian is a bit drastic. Still you are lucky he is not playing music or the tv with maximum volume all day.

Next time rent the top floor appartment or just rent also the condo on top of you and leave it empty.

Bad luck I hear this kind of story all the time about the Ivans - It will get worse when the Chinese start to occupy condos - Move - it will drive you mad. I live in a condo and will move if it makes me feel uncomfortable - in future rent do not buy - Whenever I view a potential condo I make it clear no kids, dogs, Russians or Arabs in the place. I say in this in Thai and am always understood and never judged. No doubt I will be on this forum.