Former deputy minister charged over shooting dog dead outside 7-Eleven

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he shouldn't have done it really but those dogs are a complete menace and should be controlled and euthanized when necessary

The people who refuse to spay and neuter animals should be euthanized.

I totally agree that owners are the most irresponsible part of the equation but TIT and Thais have an 'ethics deficit' in their genetic makeup. I see Thai's regularly, mostly in moobaans, just open their gates and let their dogs roam around upsetting everyone else and getting into packs (especially at night time).

I was on my motorcycle and went down one soi accidently and three huge dogs barked and chased me which, frankly, is scary and there was a Thai lady (they were all her dogs) standing there laughing. I could have f****** killed her but if I stopped to ask her why she was so irresponsible she would be angry and clueless as to why this farang was even questioning her 'Thainess'.

Good job! Straydogs shouldn't be on the streets. I also got bitten by one.

And yet you survived to tell the tale of how chi chi the chihauhua nipped you.

That's not his fault. Those dogs often carry rabies and the country does not have proper animal control. These stray dogs kill lot of people every year in traffic accidents. My done has been bit twice and I neatly died when I hit one on sukumvit on a motorcycle. L

Oh my, you nearly died. The horror. Were you sober, driving alert and within the speed limit? ummm, errr.......

When you had this brush with death, did you fall off your motorcycle and hit your head?

He has also been charged with carrying a gun in public and firing it without a proper reason

I would say the reason was quite proper.

Or eas just an excuses to make it proper.

If a dog bits there is always a reason.

99 perscent it was the himan who did something and the dog reacted.

Former deputy transport minister faces three charges for shooting dead a dog

162-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former deputy transport minister and former MP of Ratchaburi province, Thawee Kraikupta, 78, faced three charges pressed by Suan Pueng district police after he shot dead a stray dog.

The dead stray dog was posted on the social network identifying him as the gunman, and went viral with animal lovers denouncing his action as brutal, and call for the police to take legal action against him.

Thawee later surrendered to the Suan Pueng police, reasoning that he shot the dog in self defense as three dogs tried to attack him.

He said the incident happened on Monday morning in front of a shop on Chatpawai road in Suan Pueng district.

He said as he stepped out of the shop, and walked just three steps, one stray dog ran to him and bit him at the right leg.

Angered by the sudden attack, he walked back to his car, and grabbed his handgun.

He then fired several shots at three dogs which ran and tried to attack him.

One dog was killed and the rest ran away, he said.

He later was told that the dead dog was posted on the social media and viewers condemning him for the act, and calling on the police to take action.

He said after gunning down the dog, he went to a hospital for treatment of the bite wound, and also filed a case with the police.

He faced three charges, carrying a loaded handgun into public places, shooting in public place, and torturing animal.

Mr Thawee also sought for sympathy from the people and animal lovers saying he regretted over the shooting.

But he asked for understanding that under such situation when three aggressive dogs running towards him to attack, he had to defend himself after he was bitten first by the first dog.

He said he carried the gun with him as he was on the way with 300,000 baht in cash to deposit at a bank there.

While waiting the bank to open, he was attacked by the dog, he said, adding that he regretted the incident.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154292

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-09

............He said he carried the gun with him as he was on the way with 300,000 baht in cash to deposit at a bank there.............

Her seemed to do a lot of 'walking about' with 300 grand in cash on him. Wonder where that came from anyway? Another moral public servant.

Sigh.

The fact that he left the dead dog outside the shop, making no arrangements for its removal, says a lot about his attitude...not only to the dog but to other citizens. Send him to prison for 30 days and let him do some self-reflection.

Local people in my village manage to avoid shooting stray dogs, they carry a short piece of bamboo to smack them with. On reflection I prefer that to them packing firearms. Remember, this gun toting maniac drives as well, what if he pulled it on you.

This is central bkk, we don't always have a bamboo cane handy when we are coming or going about ones business....

Anyway, if I a rabbid dog bit me, and I had a cane and a 9mm in the car, guess which one I would be fetching ...

The fact that he left the dead dog outside the shop, making no arrangements for its removal, says a lot about his attitude...not only to the dog but to other citizens. Send him to prison for 30 days and let him do some self-reflection.

. After being bitten I imagine his thoughts were on getting his own injuries fixed rather than arranging a funeral for a dog....

Good job! Straydogs shouldn't be on the streets. I also got bitten by one.

And yet you survived to tell the tale of how chi chi the chihauhua nipped you.

That's not his fault. Those dogs often carry rabies and the country does not have proper animal control. These stray dogs kill lot of people every year in traffic accidents. My done has been bit twice and I neatly died when I hit one on sukumvit on a motorcycle. L

Oh my, you nearly died. The horror. Were you sober, driving alert and within the speed limit? ummm, errr.......

When you had this brush with death, did you fall off your motorcycle and hit your head?

What a senseless, dog-loving arse you are! Even the most rabid dog-owners accept that Thailand has a major problem with dogs: they pollute; they cause accidents; they offend by their constant nocturnal barking yet your thoughtful answer is to poke fun at someone who could so easily have been hospitalised after being brought to the ground by a stray dog or infected with rabies.

I have often said you have to be lacking in intelligence to own a non-working dog; you are the living proof of my hypothesis (get a non-dog owner to explain this word to you.)

Poison the fukkking lot

Every time it becomes a problem in my area one of the Thais takes care of them is not the most humane way to kill something but I think he does it at night so they're unlikely to catch him.....

Most of them neighbours would probably be on his side anyway....

It's just a danged dog that bites people. It could have been someone's child. Where I come from once a dog has actually bitten someone it's going down as a matter of law. There is no such law in Thailand where it's every man and dog for himself.

Where do we get all of the bleeding hearts who don't care about people?

Cheers.

Thailand should have a day or two every year on which stray dogs are legal to shoot dead. They are a menace and dangerous to people of all ages. Unlikely this is the first person the dog has bitten. Being bitten by a rabid dog is bad for tourism industry.

In Italy, any stray dog biting a person without provocation is automatically suspect of being rabid. Killing it would be considered a public service.

The correct procedure for the bitten person is to take the dog, dead or alive, to a hospital if possible and have it examined for rabies. If the result is positive, the person then needs immediate anti-rabies treatment.

He has also been charged with carrying a gun in public and firing it without a proper reason

I would say the reason was quite proper.

He wasted 4 bullets, how many would you need?rolleyes.gif

Only one if he had excellent gun control. Gun control means hitting your target.

In Italy, any stray dog biting a person without provocation is automatically suspect of being rabid. Killing it would be considered a public service.

The correct procedure for the bitten person is to take the dog, dead or alive, to a hospital if possible and have it examined for rabies. If the result is positive, the person then needs immediate anti-rabies treatment.

That may be the "correct procedure" in your home country.

I do wonder how you are supposed to get a living rabid dog to a hospital or how you would be received here in Thailand walking into a hospital with a snarling rabid dog or even a dead dog. I sincerely doubt you would get past security.

The correct procedure here is very simple, you just go to the hospital, tell them you were bitten and they'll give you a course of rabies/tetanus jabs and patch up the wound.

Edited by pedro01

I do wonder how you are supposed to get a living rabid dog to a hospital or how you would be received here in Thailand walking into a hospital with a snarling rabid dog or even a dead dog. I sincerely doubt you would get past security.

The correct procedure here is very simple, you just go to the hospital, tell them you were bitten and they'll give you a course of rabies/tetanus jabs and patch up the wound.

There is no suggestion of Rabies. In all likelihood the dog was going to give him a lick or possibly wanted to snatch his 7-11 sausage. Poor thing was hungry rather than vicious. A very bad and cruel overreaction by this representative of the people.

"Former Deputy Minister" is as correct as "Former Kindergartener" - I do not know what his previous political activities have to do with this good riddance.

He got rid of one of those millions of stray dogs shitting and peeing all over the country, multiply faster than rabbits and are an absolute nuisance and health threat to all.

To charge this "Former Kindergartener" with animal "cruelty" is equally wrong.

Fact is that civilian Mr Tawee shot a stray dog for good reason (got bitten by the dog for whatever reason) so keep a) politics and B) slandering choice of words like "cruelty" out of the press - both inappropriate and poor choice of words.

I have no issue in principal with the dog being snuffed. My problem is that it was done in a way that put plenty of people in serious danger. Each of those 5 rounds went straight through the dog and ricochet. The fact that nobody was hit by one of the ricochet bullets is blind luck. Anybody handling a gun that way has no business owning a gun - he is more a menace to society than a rabid dog.

And nothing is done about the stray dog, suspected of being rabid. It is left to roam around to bite other people. I guess this scenario was not taken into consideration when the animal protection law was made a year ago.

In Thailand, you are legally permitted to defend yourself against a human aggressor, but fend off or catch or kill a dog that bites you and you are prosecuted for the heinous crime of cruelty to an animal.

Edited by Puccini

Ever have the rabies treatment vaccine? I have and it's not fun. That dog would be brought in for testing, dead or alive, before I go through that again.

There is no suggestion of Rabies. In all likelihood the dog was going to give him a lick or possibly wanted to snatch his 7-11 sausage. Poor thing was hungry rather than vicious. A very bad and cruel overreaction by this representative of the people.

When a dog bites in this country, you presume rabies. To do otherwise is to risk death.

As for a dog "wanting to give him a lick" - dogs are territorial creatures. You cannot compare your experiences with household pets and their owners to a stray dog attacking a stranger. These animals are not domesticated, they will attack if they feel threatened, if they have puppies near by or simply if they think they will get away with it.

Non-domesticated dogs do not randomly go up to strangers and lick them.

One of the issues with dogs is that eye contact is a threat to them. Of course, when you see a pack of 3 dogs coming towards you, you want to see where they are and Fido takes that as a threat.

Ever have the rabies treatment vaccine? I have and it's not fun. That dog would be brought in for testing, dead or alive, before I go through that again.

Yes - all five of them. I'm not particularly fearful of injections and to be honest, they weren't that bad. Times have changed since the days they had to inject in your stomach. Now they just inject your shoulder.

And no, I didn't bring the dog to the hospital.

First of all - the hospitals here do not have the facilities. Second of all the dog was in a pack, was biting me and I was at risk from the other dogs. I was also on a bicycle. Perhaps you could explain to me how, in these circumstances, I was supposed to take the dog with me?

Perhaps I could have gone to the police and asked them to catch the dog so I could take it to the hospital. Well I could but to be honest, the local police where I live wouldn't even come out when a drunk motorcyclist crashed into my car.

Straydogs are a pest in Thailand, either they are aggressive, bark, invested with all kinds of diseases, allthough I have 2 dogs behaving but barking too much.

I see them around food markets too much, some even lay on top of the fruit. And they are ugly as hell. But Thailand, I understand.

Maybe you should move, dogs have as much right to live as you do!

Local people in my village manage to avoid shooting stray dogs, they carry a short piece of bamboo to smack them with. On reflection I prefer that to them packing firearms. Remember, this gun toting maniac drives as well, what if he pulled it on you.

This is central bkk, we don't always have a bamboo cane handy when we are coming or going about ones business....

Anyway, if I a rabbid dog bit me, and I had a cane and a 9mm in the car, guess which one I would be fetching ...

My point was the gun, so you don't always have a bamboo stick handy...........but you do have a gun? How often do you haul it out and start blasting away at animals in an urban environment? The point has been made often enough by other posters, it was reckless, dangerous, irresponsible and according to the man himself, used in anger. Obviously not someone who should be armed.