Overstay....is there EVER a valid reason

novo58

Without replying to the long post above on the sanctimony of some, what amuses me are the persons who claim that their presence in Thailand is of great benefit to the Thai economy/society or their immediate family and/or other relationsips and, since the Thai powers-that-be do not realize this and therefore do not provide them with some convenien slam-dunk way for them to stay long-term in Thailand, they then feel justified in staying in whatever way is available to them whether in full compliance with Thai regulations or otherwise

Whether deflated in a long post, or aggrandized in a non-stop obsessive litany of snipes on the subject, the obsession with other people's overstays is plain silly.

It's telling that a few posters spend so much energy on this.

And I admit to being one of them. Enough, already.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really hope they go on with forcing insurance on long term visa's a lot of the older guys then will be in overstay because they can't afford the insurance. It would cut back on holier then you post from people like the OP.

I get tired by how those who can get an easy visa look down on those who cant. Oh I am on the elite visa before people think I am on overstay.

So that would be a richer than thou post?

Without replying to the long post above on the sanctimony of some, what amuses me are the persons who claim that their presence in Thailand is of great benefit to the Thai economy/society or their immediate family and/or other relationsips and, since the Thai powers-that-be do not realize this and therefore do not provide them with some convenien slam-dunk way for them to stay long-term in Thailand, they then feel justified in staying in whatever way is available to them whether in full compliance with Thai regulations or otherwise

Whether deflated in a long post, or aggrandized in a non-stop obsessive litany of snipes on the subject, the obsession with other people's overstays is plain silly.

It's telling that a few posters spend so much energy on this.

And I admit to being one of them. Enough, already.

I am only interested in people who abuse the Visa/Immigration rules to the extent that my -- yes MY -- continued presence in Thailand is dependent upon the Bureau of Immigration accepting my sworn affidavit of income for extension purposes. I see all the nonsense to which people resort to the Thai government maybe saying one day that they will not accept that affidavit as a true statement because too many people claim or declare things that are not true.

Meanwhile everyone in this thread probably breaks several Thai laws a week, if not every day.

[/quoteI dont think i break several thai laws a week in fact i rarely break any laws any time. Can you explain what laws you mean?

We are not guests, we are just tolerated. Although what you are saying (apart from the "guest" bit) is true, you give the impression that it is OK if rule changes force some genuinely decent people to leave Thailand whose economy they have been contributing to.

More foreigners would be deported if they had the same attitude as you it has to be said.

You are 100% wrong, I am never in trouble, I have a lot more good to say about Thailand than bad, but I will always give an honest opinion.

You are free to disagree with me, but I am very proud of my attitude, and certainly don't feel like a "guest" here, I have stated my reasons for that often enough.

I overstayed by a few weeks once. There was this volcano disrupting european air traffic and when I called to rebook my flight the told me it would weeks later before I could get another seat (Eva Air), this would put me well into overstay by about 3 weeks I think. The volcano interrupted air traffic a few days before I was due to fly and with just 1 flight a day I guess there were a thousand or more people trying to rebook seats on planes which were already nearly full - this can lead to massive delays as they fit people in where they can.

The government had made two announcements about people on overstays due to this situation. The first saying nobody would need to pay any overstay fine for the fist couple of weeks, the second one saying nobody would pay any fine whatsoever if delayed for any amount of time due to the volcano.

There were some disagreements about the announcements when it came to immigration. The lady from Eva Air in charge of the check in process argued my point with immigration for over an hour before they backed down and allowed me to leave without paying. It wouldn't have been a big deal anyway but I argued my point and won.

So not only did I overstay by some 20 odd days but I didn't pay any fine either. This is the very definition of a valid reason.

Yes it is, but Colin Neills reason was a lot more valid than yours, and there were others with genuine health reasons like Colins.

Really I don't consider that a valid reason as you could have went to immigration and got a 30 day extension or make a boarder run or short holiday to Malaysia. However I'm glad immigration waived the fees.

The only valid reason I would see if someone had health issues that prevented travel or if there is a delay of 1 or 2 days due to airlines, but 20 days overstay due to airlines you had options.

I take your point, but keep in mind that Colin was in a coma for 35 days, and making his wife pay the 20.000 Baht overstay is the most shameful thing I have ever heard of by

the Immigration department of any country.

@ TheKnave re post #53............................

I started this thread to try to find out why people overstay by many years, I was not particularly concerned with the " short term" overstayer who cant read the dates stamped in their passports.

AS for your post (#53)..........maybe you should start a thread about the " sanctimonious cretins" who think that the local laws dont apply to them. Or the " sanctimonious cretins" who think that the entire Thai economy will fail without their meagre contribution or the " sanctimonious cretins" who seem happy to support and encourage corruption by passing brown envelopes to Thai officials to turn a blind eye to immigration indiscretions.

It seems that a very regular mantra of the long term overstayer is ..............................but I have a Thai wife / GF, I have a house here, I have a car here etc etc --------well all the more reason to absolutely ensure you immigration status is legal..............I dont see that having these items is an excuse to flout the law.

Lets be brutally honest here....................people make a conscious CHOICE to stay and live in Thailand and with that choice comes the responsibility to adhere to the local laws ( whether we like and agree with them or not).

And here we are at post #67.................and there is maybe 2 valid reason provided for an overstay ( thou even those are not really valid in my eyes)--

-i mean come on , 20 days for airlines to clear a backlog of flights and passengers ---get real and

- leaving your passport re-newal to the last minute ( ok weeks) .....just lack of planning and consideration.

No there isn't.

Except.........and I agree with the OP on this, health and family issues, and as I understand it, a health problem is covered, but not sure about family.

Everybody knows their due date, so complying can't be difficult. Forgetting is not a valid excuse/reason. Neither are financial reasons. If you can't afford the visa runs, or whatever else is required, you can't afford to be in Thailand.

I asked an overstayer of 11 years why he did it. I have spent hundreds of thousands in a short time staying here legally. He will pay 20000 this week and be done with it. Now what was that your were saying about who can't afford what??

In answer to the OP question, Yes!

One time when I went to renew my Visa I was informed that I had an over 300 day overstay!

An unintentional mistake on my behalf, they issued me with a 30 day extension and sorted the problem for me.The fine that I had to pay was somewhere in the region of Baht 3,000 All done without having to leave Thailand.

Gonna need some more facts on this one Champ. If your "unintentional mistake" was not reading what was in your passport that does not qualify as a valid reason.

Is there EVER a valid reason to concern your self with everyone else's business?

Yes, when it impacts your life it is valid. Immigration procedures get more and more difficult to "weed out" overstayers and illegal workers but the only people affected are the ones actually waiting in line at Immigration to be treated like a criminal while they have done absolutely nothing to deserve it.

In answer to the OP question, Yes!

One time when I went to renew my Visa I was informed that I had an over 300 day overstay!

An unintentional mistake on my behalf, they issued me with a 30 day extension and sorted the problem for me.The fine that I had to pay was somewhere in the region of Baht 3,000 All done without having to leave Thailand.

Gonna need some more facts on this one Champ. If your "unintentional mistake" was not reading what was in your passport that does not qualify as a valid reason.

If you have read my full posting on this thread, you can see that I had a visa in my passport that read I was ok to stay until the expiry date.

Edited by 8OA8

Meanwhile everyone in this thread probably breaks several Thai laws a week, if not every day.

I dont think i break several thai laws a week in fact i rarely break any laws any time. Can you explain what laws you mean?

I went to the 7-11 last night with my 4 year old son, on the scooter, no helmets.

My wife and daughter drive m/cs every day, no driving license, usually no helmet.

I went cycling this morning wearing padded lycra shorts, no underwear. (no underwear is against Thai law)

Cycled through at least 6 sets of red lights this morning, that's probably against the law.

I downloaded and watched a movie last night, definitely against the law.

Listened to some music on my phone, again downloaded, so against the law.

Crikey!

I'm a bad lad.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Please stop posting saying health reasons are accepted as a valid reason for overstay.

I was in a coma my retirement extention ran out.

When i was able to communicate with my wife i was now on 35 days overstay.

My wife went immediately to immigration was fined 20.000 baht for my overstay and was told that being in a coma was not an accepted excuse.

Most farang are on a coma for far longer than you...?

I really hope they go on with forcing insurance on long term visa's a lot of the older guys then will be in overstay because they can't afford the insurance. It would cut back on holier then you post from people like the OP.

I get tired by how those who can get an easy visa look down on those who cant. Oh I am on the elite visa before people think I am on overstay.

So that would be a richer than thou post?

clap2.gif

a lot of expats i know who have the correct visas spend absolutely bugger all in thailand compared to those who cant afford to keep a valid visa. if they want to cull the farangs then kick out the tightwads.....i mean the ones who live in 6k a month rooms with the windows and doors open 24 hours so they dont pay for a fan and only leave the room to go to the 7 for mama noodles...and dont even own a honda wave.

Why don't they introduce mandatory spending of a minimum of 50,000 baht a month, rental payments not included. Proof to be shown in your bankbook when you do your 90 day check. Failure to comply, immediate deportation.rolleyes.gif

With a post like that find it difficult to decide what you are on, maybe something a bit too strong for you! How many people do you think spend 50k/mth in Isaan, Far North, South, etc? That's not to mention nobody spends the same amount each month. Your world must revolve around BKK, how sad.

a lot of expats i know who have the correct visas spend absolutely bugger all in thailand compared to those who cant afford to keep a valid visa. if they want to cull the farangs then kick out the tightwads.....i mean the ones who live in 6k a month rooms with the windows and doors open 24 hours so they dont pay for a fan and only leave the room to go to the 7 for mama noodles...and dont even own a honda wave.

Why don't they introduce mandatory spending of a minimum of 50,000 baht a month, rental payments not included. Proof to be shown in your bankbook when you do your 90 day check. Failure to comply, immediate deportation.rolleyes.gif

With a post like that find it difficult to decide what you are on, maybe something a bit too strong for you! How many people do you think spend 50k/mth in Isaan, Far North, South, etc? That's not to mention nobody spends the same amount each month. Your world must revolve around BKK, how sad.

Methinks " giddyup " was being sarcastic :)

Methinks " giddyup " was being sarcastic smile.png

I would have thought the smiley face might have indicated that, but obviously I'll have to find a "sarcastic" smiley face.

What do you think I put a smiley face at the end of my post for. Decoration?

What do you think I put a smiley face at the end of my post for. Decoration?

Ahh! here we go.

post-130068-0-03813600-1457768725_thumb.

Another warning that the day of the overstayer is coming to an end !

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/902433-immigration-police-to-tighten-visa-overstaying-from-march-20/

'A matter of national security that these foreigners be effectively controlled' seems a bit over the top

Your opinion only, many would disagree.

The main point is that the "overstayers" are being given every chance to surrender and remove themselves from the country.