Beware Driving - Interesting Sighting Today

pgrahmm

We were coming off Somoeng Rd today to turn left onto Canal Rd....We were backed up about 4 cars.....

My daughter pointed out 3 women sitting on the ground by the traffic signal box ------> Marking down the plate numbers of the cars that ran the light.....Not a cop in sight & they were dressed in hats - blouse & pants....If not backed up in traffic I never would have given them a second glance.....The clipboards were the only distinguishing thing about them as they sat there down low on the ground......

If they are doing this everywhere it's going to add up fast.....

Could have just been carrying out a survey. How many, what type etc.

Much more likely. A fine in the post includes a photo. This is probably a check of the lights timing matching flow of traffic.

Could have just been carrying out a survey. How many, what type etc.

Much more likely. A fine in the post includes a photo. This is probably a check of the lights timing matching flow of traffic.
They were tracking only the vehicles that ran the lights....One at the front plate one at the rear....No interest in between.....Possible they might be doing it for the light timing/flow.....

I lingered a short while....Every once in awhile there's a cop that stays back by the wall with a pad and paper....

Daughter thought it was for tickets....It looked that way....

It was about 10:30 so an off flow time...

Edited by pgrahmm

I wish they would.. there is no worse thing then red light jumpers.

Drink drivers Rob?

Not sure what is worse.. but getting T boned at a green light has almost happened to me once (it was green for a while already so I had no reason to expect a red light jumper).

But I did lose someone in the family to a drunk driver. So both are bad but expecting that your safe when crossing a green light and getting taken out is a scary thought.

I think I know exactly what they were doing. Yesterday it was announced that the Samoeng/ Canal Road junction is to become either an overpass or a tunnel through to the single track part of the Canal Road, and that the local village, known as Nongkwai, is being consulted about their preference with a final decision in a month or so. I ll have a bet that this was the said local village people carrying out their own research as part of the ongoing dialogue.

I agree wholeheartedly.

My wife was very close to having her front-end swiped by a couple of fools on a motorbike today. Fortunate that she wasn't too quick off the mark when she got a Green Light. The Motorbike just came hurtling through WELL AFTER we had the Green.

Hope the cops collect heaps of Tea Money from these idiots.

I have never heard of a person in Thailand receiving a notice in the mail for a driving infraction. I have never seen a Thai driver cited for running a red light.

Well, try harder. A friend of mine has received a very sharp and nice picture of his car just past a red light (he said orange tongue.png ), shot from above but with the back number plate very visible. Along with a fine.

They do it quite a lot in Bangkok at least.

I have never heard of a person in Thailand receiving a notice in the mail for a driving infraction. I have never seen a Thai driver cited for running a red light.

Well, try harder. A friend of mine has received a very sharp and nice picture of his car just past a red light (he said orange tongue.png ), shot from above but with the back number plate very visible. Along with a fine.

They do it quite a lot in Bangkok at least.

Yes Johpa, both are not uncommon occurrences and have even been noted in this Forum.

I agree wholeheartedly.

My wife was very close to having her front-end swiped by a couple of fools on a motorbike today. Fortunate that she wasn't too quick off the mark when she got a Green Light. The Motorbike just came hurtling through WELL AFTER we had the Green.

Hope the cops collect heaps of Tea Money from these idiots.

I was almost taken out by a car well after the green light (actually happened at night when there was not much traffic. It scared me a lot, I really don't understand why they don't install a few camera's in places that it happens a lot. I might not like nanny style enforcement but red light jumpers are really dangerous.

In quantum leaps of technological advancement , our local police went from 'nothing' , to police force issued motorbikes, to 'Gopro' mounted helmets- all in one year or so!

We have large amounts of argumentative French Arabs pass through our villiage on the way to their favourite beach clubs that are always running the red lights.

Apparently the cameras are for their sakes.

As somebody said , 'theres nothing worse' or more dangerous than red light runners...

They are students they been there last two days , where they are sitting they cant even see the lights , my guess is they are counting cars and truck s .

Yes, saw them too. Nothing to be worried about.

On the other hand, imagine, some "authority" would send you a letter with no picture or any evidence whatsoever, demanding 500B for crossing a red light. I would just bin that. Almost no local even pays the speeding tickets with pictures. Although they mention on the letter one may get into trouble if not paying when renewing the tax next time, there is no such linkage (yet). Thus the continued roadblocks after speed traps.

I received one for speeding on highway 1 south of Tak. It included a photo that clearly showed the number plate of the car and the driver. I didn't see anything when I was driving; I was too busy negotiating the ruts in the inside lane and the loonies.

Idiot kids on motorcy would probably have to be the most daring/stupid risktakers I have come across in Chiang Mai. It appears they have no sense or knowledge of cause and effect.

I would love to see the cops grab these little shites by the scruff of their scrawny necks and take them for a viewing of local morgues. Stopping at each mangled body that resulted from running red lights.

Perhaps a bit of shock treatment would work for a little while until the became immune/de-sensitised to the carnage they create on the roads.

Now I'll sit back and wait for all these tree hugging do gooders to state that we cannot and should not inflict western values/standards in a country that is not ours.... oh so you'de rather let the carnage continue?

Ok...rant over

Bit cooler today so may just go take the bike for a ride...a wonderful day to all.

Edited by CMKiwi

They are students they been there last two days , where they are sitting they cant even see the lights , my guess is they are counting cars and truck s .

Yes, saw them too. Nothing to be worried about.

On the other hand, imagine, some "authority" would send you a letter with no picture or any evidence whatsoever, demanding 500B for crossing a red light. I would just bin that. Almost no local even pays the speeding tickets with pictures. Although they mention on the letter one may get into trouble if not paying when renewing the tax next time, there is no such linkage (yet). Thus the continued roadblocks after speed traps.

last time I renewed my tax,I was informed I had a out standing parking ticket, And the guy was not going to give me tax sticker but I pleaded my innocence. Be interesting next year.

"...red lights and double lines are only suggestions....." along with lane jumping, not indicating turns.