Video of Thai bus driver dangerously overtaking truck causes outrage

rooster59

Compared to the school minivans around here hes driving perfectly well

An aside driving to Monaco many years ago in my MG i drove through France on their 3 lane roads (the middle one is fair game for the brave) well until you are faced with a truck flashing its lights you then move over fast!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bum who posted that is dumb ,plenty of room on his LHS. Like most of those Dash Cam Clowns they drag as much out of nothing for their You Tube posting

And if there wasn't ' plenty of room ' LHS ?

Someone driving on their own side of the road has to react to an idiot driving on the wrong side of the road because if they didn't ... !

. Well you react your way. I would have eased left and not cried in me beer over sweet <deleted>.

Bit surprised about your comments. Take a closer look: 1st, the bus was just coming into visibility on a hill, different timing, different outcome. 2nd, the LHS was not clear as you can see posts there that the car barely missed. Also you can hear sound of gravel getting kicked up so a slide was also a possibility.

It was a dangerous situation and I would probably have it on FB also. The company also agrees it was dangerous and without the video no action or reprimanding of the driver and additional training scheduled.

//Edit - also using a modest 60 kph for each vehicle the closing rate would be 120kph or 33 meters/second.

post-566-0-66543800-1457751168_thumb.jpg

So many of these passing incidents would disappear, if people driving slower vehicles just gave way a bit to the faster drivers. How many times have you been stuck behind someone driving well below the limit and never once do they move over just a bit. It even happens with scooters.

Of course a bus and a big truck is more complicated.

What really gets me is when you finally get to a passing lane, all the cars keep right, or swing right in the corners, just as you are overtaking.

Bus drivers between Phuket and Ranong basically make the middle of the road a 3rd lane like that.

One positive outcome of new , more stringent Immigration laws is the dramatic reduction in visa runners and the consequent reduction in multi-passenger vehicles driving this route .

Nothing will change until The Thai Govenment start enforcing laws. If the Driver is arrested and fined , and says he has no money, he should be made to work with body snatchers for a year. so he can see the devastation caused by idiot drivers. But until the Thai Govenment starts to Educate and come down hard on reckless drivers nothing will change. Life is cheap inThailand .

I live in Khon Faen and my wife and I drive down to Pattaya once a month for a break. I see this all the time.

One of the main things these bus drivers do is to hug the outside lane on the right for miles they do not pull over. The Police never pull a bus over, never seen it in 7 years. They often do speeds over 120.

What is it with the Police never pulling a bus over, also when we are in lot of traffic and I am on the right side lane waiting to overtake the busses come right up to your arse end trying to force you over.

All I can think of is the bus company's must pay some tea money to a top Cop to leave their busses alone.

Believe it or not, but I've once been in a bus Chiang Mai - Bangkok, and only a few kilometers outside Chiang Mai in the hills he overtook another bus, who was overtaking a truck, over the soft road shoulder.

Mind you I was sitting right behind the driver.

The Bum who posted that is dumb ,plenty of room on his LHS. Like most of those Dash Cam Clowns they drag as much out of nothing for their You Tube posting

Someone driving on their own side of the road has to react to an idiot driving on the wrong side of the road because if they didn't ... !

. Well you react your way. I would have eased left and not cried in me beer over sweet <deleted>.

You know you've been in Thailand too long when ......... you accept that kind of driving and facing death on the road as nothing to get upset about.

Exactly. Try that little trick on a rural road with no bike lane and a ditch just off the pavement. Plenty of those here in Esaan.

Nothing will change until The Thai Govenment start enforcing laws. If the Driver is arrested and fined , and says he has no money, he should be made to work with body snatchers for a year. so he can see the devastation caused by idiot drivers. But until the Thai Govenment starts to Educate and come down hard on reckless drivers nothing will change. Life is cheap inThailand .

Err, the government doesn't enforce laws. It makes them. The police enforce them. Or in most cases in Thailand, don't. Too much work for them, when they get paid anyway.

Any other bus company wouldn't surprise me but this one have always been excellent when I've used them. The drivers drive well and they change after a certain amount of hours.

The annoying theme music they play on repeat for the last 45 minutes of your journey is the only bad part. I think I've had a few where they put that shatty Thai so-called comedy on at full blast also but I've always felt comfortable with the driving.

Any other bus company wouldn't surprise me but this one have always been excellent when I've used them. The drivers drive well and they change after a certain amount of hours.

The annoying theme music they play on repeat for the last 45 minutes of your journey is the only bad part. I think I've had a few where they put that shatty Thai so-called comedy on at full blast also but I've always felt comfortable with the driving.

Formerly, I would have agreed. But their two serious bus accidents, and this video are quickly eroding my confidence...

Exactly. Try that little trick on a rural road with no bike lane and a ditch just off the pavement. Plenty of those here in Esaan.

And plenty of Isaan busses pulling the same trick. Interesting that most of the recent fatal bus accidents were in Isaan.

And I thought they were all trained to drive like this! Personally I always try to find a truck or bus to tail on a long straight 2 lane road like the one in the clip. They are a shield against the lunatics with lights on coming towards me on the wrong side of the road.

I have seen the same thing many times.I got on the night bus many times at Uttraditt,and I would get off near Bangkok.The next stop after Uttraditt was Phitsanulok.10 minutes after we left the Hostess would sit in the front the driver I thought that was a good idea

That's an everyday occurrence on Thai roads, hence the well-earned "Second Most Dangerous Roads in The World" title holding moniker.

If you don't drive in complete defense mode, you'll eventually get hit by some aggressive Thai driver. I figure that at least 30% of the drivers on the road are highly aggressive, with another 50% being moderately aggressive. 10% are simply clueless leaving 10% who actually drive somewhat sanely. What a sad state of affairs Thailand. unsure.png

I think Thai people consider a good driver is one who can get from A to B in the shortest possible time, by any means at his disposal.

Extra points given for courtesy, flashing the headlights in critical situations.

Westerners idolize Formula One drivers, so why shouldn't Thais idolize their own "top gun" drivers?

Drivers and passengers seem happy to rely heavily on good-luck charms to get them safely to their destination.

If there is an "accident" it is always seems to be the fault of the bus or the weather, not the driver. After all, he is just doing his job !

The words "accident prevention" (or the meaning) is apparently unknown in Thailand, not just for motoring but in all spheres of life here.

Read note below about "edumication"

​ I think in all fairness it should be pointed out,this is not a Nakhon Chai Air buss,because they do not have any double decker buses,this looks more like a Chan air buss,and this one of the reasons I will not use them any more.

Looking at it again ,the video poster did have loads of room ,by going off the road to his left ,but that still does not make what the bus driver did right.

There should be more of this type of social media, then the rest of the world will come to appreciate the danger for tourists in LOS , as for talking to the driver , that passed long ago, direct action by the company and charges laid by the RTP, would be the minimum requirement here..................................coffee1.gif

​ I think in all fairness it should be pointed out,this is not a Nakhon Chai Air buss,because they do not have any double decker buses,this looks more like a Chan air buss,and this one of the reasons I will not use them any more.

A double decker bus , hop down to spec savers pal

Punish?

He probably will get a salary raise and promoted. Drivers are taught to risk it all...for the sake of being on time. I suppose the bus companies fear losing business, it they drive normal. It is sort of a backwards logic, as I would prefer to be safe, and 15 minutes late.

If drivers did not live on the edge of death, they would be fired. Anyways, accidents are never caused by bad drivers taking unnecessary risks...but rather by rain, or rocks in the road or cellphone calls.

Edited by slipperylobster

Back when I used to drive from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai, I would see this type of thing once every trip. The only way to be safe is to drive on the extreme left shoulder, taking care not to hit any slow-moving motorbikes.