Driving in Thailand without international permit?

Roxy01

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rented a car from Sixt once and they accepted my Nordic drivers licence but I don't think it's perfectly legal. At least when I bought my own can I got the Thai licence immediately because the insurance company said they don't cover anything if you don't have a Thai licence.

Yes, if living here a Thai DL is required, for tourists a foreign DL (provided in English and with photo) is perfectly legal.

Correct and you are also insured so I dont know what everyone else is talking about regarding no insurance if you dont have a Thai licence. I have been driving here for over 8 years on my Uk licence, stopped loads of times and never a problem. Also was fully covered by insurance on my father in laws Pick Up when a Thai driver hit the back of it. I have had my own insurance on cars here and they always gave full cover on Uk licence. What is the point of spending 500Baht buying a Thai one.
Point 1) you will be legal, you are not now.

Point 2) you can get a Thai licence for about 150 Baht including the medical and photo, as you have a UK licence if it's a photo card one. Slightly more if you have the green paper one as you need an IDP as well.

Point 3) some Thai insurance policies have a clause that makes them invalid in your situation, they require that you have a legal licence, which you don't.

Enough?

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Dude, IDP is like $39 at NRMA or whatever state you are from and takes 5 minutes

but it is only valid for 12 months so in 12 months time it is another 39 dollars for the NRMA .

...........and for us long stayers a proper Thai DL is only an hour of your time and about 200THB a year. Ok Ok plus the cost of a med cert that states you do not have leprosy, elephantiasis, TB , a drug addiction, or third stage syphilis..

Dude, IDP is like $39 at NRMA or whatever state you are from and takes 5 minutes

but it is only valid for 12 months so in 12 months time it is another 39 dollars for the NRMA .

...........and for us long stayers a proper Thai DL is only an hour of your time and about 200THB a year. Ok Ok plus the cost of a med cert that states you do not have leprosy, elephantiasis, TB , a drug addiction, or third stage syphilis..

That should be a total of about 200THB, including the medical every 5 years!

I rented a car from Sixt once and they accepted my Nordic drivers licence but I don't think it's perfectly legal. At least when I bought my own can I got the Thai licence immediately because the insurance company said they don't cover anything if you don't have a Thai licence.

Yes, if living here a Thai DL is required, for tourists a foreign DL (provided in English and with photo) is perfectly legal.

Correct and you are also insured so I dont know what everyone else is talking about regarding no insurance if you dont have a Thai licence. I have been driving here for over 8 years on my Uk licence, stopped loads of times and never a problem. Also was fully covered by insurance on my father in laws Pick Up when a Thai driver hit the back of it. I have had my own insurance on cars here and they always gave full cover on Uk licence. What is the point of spending 500Baht buying a Thai one.

Driving here for over 8 years but do you live here or just visit?

If you live here and have been "stopped loads of times" and never asked for a contribution then you have indeed been very lucky............

An IDP is VALID for 12 months, but it is not LEGAL after 3 months usage in Thailand - it was designed for Holiday use.

I wouldn't like to quote Law on this, but in my long experience, the Thai driving licence makes a great ID-card and i've often used it instead of presenting my passport, as it has both my photo on it and my passport number. It also makes a difference if you are stopped by the BiB, as they (again in my experience) take on a different attitude to dealing with long-term residents who have taken the trouble to get the Thai licence.

Well, I just hired a car and Avis wanted a copy of my international license.. Insurance also stated its needed.. For the small cost of getting one, why risk anything if an accident accures

this is the wording in my documentation from 'rentalcars.com' for my upcoming 'avis' rental:

Driving Licence

When picking the car up, the main driver and any additional drivers will need to provide a full driving licence in their name.

For drivers whose national licence has a photocard licence and a secondary paper counterpart licence, both parts will be required when collecting the vehicle.

UK drivers with the new-style photocard licence will need both the paper counterpart and photocard.

UK licence holders who have a paper licence only, will also need an official photo for identification.

International Driving Licence

An International Driving Licence is required if the driving licence is printed with non-Roman Alphabet.

Since 2015 the UK paper part of the licence was discontinued and no longer valid. But the International driving permit is still available. Its just wise to cover yourself for all eventualities.

I hired a car last year at an airport and within 5 minutes of leaving. Slowing down for the speed bumps the 4x4 vehicle with a Thai woman driver put her foot down and drove straight into the back of me. Her fault. But I had all covering paperwork and it did not cost me any extra. Be safe not sorry.

I was recently pulled over , 3 cops at a random check point , que of westerners a few Thai , a cop came up to me I handed my [ $75 not to expensive ] IDL to him ,he grabbed it did not open it stepped back to the cop in front of us who was arguing with some Poms , waved it in their faces and said this is what you need , handed it back unopened , waved us on .

What a scam IDP's are!!! You MUST carry your country of origin licence. The driving clubs/associations have a nice little earner with IDP's, and are mostly required by 'developing' countries, and very few 'real' countries.

After all, what does an IDP do? NOTHING!!

To make money as easily as issuing IDP's, you'd normally need a balaclava and pistol.

But if stopped in the Pattaya area, and you cannot produce an IDP, you will have your licence taken from you and be required to pay a fine at the police station to get it back, along with a lot of others in the same situation.

Well, I just hired a car and Avis wanted a copy of my international license.. Insurance also stated its needed.. For the small cost of getting one, why risk anything if an accident accures

this is the wording in my documentation from 'rentalcars.com' for my upcoming 'avis' rental:

Driving Licence

When picking the car up, the main driver and any additional drivers will need to provide a full driving licence in their name.

For drivers whose national licence has a photocard licence and a secondary paper counterpart licence, both parts will be required when collecting the vehicle.

UK drivers with the new-style photocard licence will need both the paper counterpart and photocard.

UK licence holders who have a paper licence only, will also need an official photo for identification.

International Driving Licence

An International Driving Licence is required if the driving licence is printed with non-Roman Alphabet.

You only have to read Avis details above and see how confusion gets about.

One of problems is a misunderstanding of DL rules in other countries and incorrect information on some web sites..

Don't know how many times this has to be pointed out but the correct term for approving a countries full driving licence is an IDP i.e. International Driving Permit.

This is not always required in some countries if it has your photo on it and all the appropriate information of categories of vehicles the holder can drive is in English likened to the UK photo-card one.

I've hire a car from Hertz in Thailand and my UK photo-card full driving licence is all that was needed they didn't ask for the paper counterpart which the UK issue with the licence.

Also I don't know what information is given on other countries DL's if it's not enough or in a foreign language that's why some will need an IDP along with it.

But if stopped in the Pattaya area, and you cannot produce an IDP, you will have your licence taken from you and be required to pay a fine at the police station to get it back, along with a lot of others in the same situation.

See my first post in this thread.

Around $18 and 2 photos from AAA in America. Pang mak mak. facepalm.gif

I another thread I read you can only use it for 6 months in Thailand.

A national licence is only legal to use for 90 days from the date of your arrival in Thailand some with an IDP some without. The validity of the licence or IDP are irrelevant.

A piece of useless information, when I first came to Thailand my driving license was valid for over 40 years. The IDP is usually 1 year.

The enforcement of the law is somewhat different from place to place and from 1 RTP officer to another

If you have a valid photocard licence in English, an IDP is not required. HOWEVER some BIB don't know this and it may smooth your passage if you can produce an IDP if asked.

Kwasaki UK now no longer uses a paper counter part. Obsolete as of June 2015.

For those of you still struggling with this, an IDP is a translation of a home country licence to English + adds a photo.

If your licence already has a photo and is already in English, why would you need a document to translate English to English?

If you have a valid photocard licence in English, an IDP is not required. HOWEVER some BIB don't know this and it may smooth your passage if you can produce an IDP if asked.

For those of you still struggling with this, an IDP is a translation of a home country licence to English + adds a photo.

If your licence already has a photo and is already in English, why would you need a document to translate English to English?

Well no that is no all an IDP is.

It has a standard format categorys A, B , C, D, & E are the same fo every IDP, national licences are not standardised.

This makes the job of the police easy; case in point if your ridding a "rotmotocye" and your IDP doesn't have a stamp in the top box you are illegal, easy for the officer to check.

The Photo on almost all IDPs can be no more than a maximum of 18months old (6 if it's just been issued) your UK one can be more than 9 years old.

It has French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, as well as English. I have a Japanese licence with a photo, should I complain that the IDP has Japanese in it?

Country's have the choice to require an IDP. As English is not the national language of many countries you should be grateful that so many of them accept foreign language licenses at all.

Yep agree to a point about IDP but me's would calmly object, point out he is mistaken and quite happily go to the police station DELETED and get him educated.

Thank's for UK DL info but the last time I checked my UK DL is no longer valid because I've been longer than 2 years out of the UK, how the DVLA would know this without being grassed up, no idea.

Edited by seedy
language

It has a standard format categorys A, B , C, D, & E are the same fo every IDP, national licences are not standardised.

This makes the job of the police easy; case in point if your ridding a "rotmotocye" and your IDP doesn't have a stamp in the top box you are illegal, easy for the officer to check.

The Photo on almost all IDPs can be no more than a maximum of 18months old (6 if it's just been issued) your UK one can be more than 9 years old.

It has French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, as well as English. I have a Japanese licence with a photo, should I complain that the IDP has Japanese in it?

Country's have the choice to require an IDP. As English is not the national language of many countries you should be grateful that so many of them accept foreign language licenses at all.

Yeah well with respect I don't wanna rock your boat but if you get to examine a UK photo-card type DL it has the formal categories as you mention that are on a IDP and has nice little picture too of the vehicles you are licence to drive.

As for photos it is irrelevant and just a IDP scam, in Thailand a Thai photo-card licence can be up to 5 years old.

As for driving in all the other countries you mention a UK DL may also need a IDP but it don't in Thailand.

As for last part I would say turn it around, all foreigners with there full country DL are lucky to able to drive in the UK.

Thank's for UK DL info but the last time I checked my UK DL is no longer valid because I've been longer than 2 years out of the UK, how the DVLA would know this without being grassed up, no idea.

Would you like to provide a source for that information.

I am unable to find anything supporting your statement.

There is a report of someone who called the DVLA and was told the exact opposite.

They said that the licence is valid until it expires when you need to have a UK address to renew it.

Yeah well with respect I don't wanna rock your boat but if you get to examine a UK photo-card type DL it has the formal categories as you mention that are on a IDP and has nice little picture too of the vehicles you are licence to drive.

As for photos it is irrelevant and just a IDP scam, in Thailand a Thai photo-card licence can be up to 5 years old.

As for driving in all the other countries you mention a UK DL may also need a IDP but it don't in Thailand.

As for last part I would say turn it around, all foreigners with there full country DL are lucky to able to drive in the UK.

I did not talk about driving in other countries. I gave the languages that are on a 1949 convention IDP that is accepted in 96 countries.

That you consider an international treaty a scam is interesting to say the least

I did not talk about driving in other countries. I gave the languages that are on a 1949 convention IDP that is accepted in 96 countries.

That you consider an international treaty a scam is interesting to say the least

The funny thing is that for a foreign licence to be valid in Thailand without IDP there are a few requirements: it has to have a photo, it has to be in English (or pictures), and there has to be a treaty between Thailand and the country the DL originates from. The latter is most commonly met because of the IDP 1949 treaty.

Would you like to provide a source for that information.

I am unable to find anything supporting your statement.

There is a report of someone who called the DVLA and was told the exact opposite.

They said that the licence is valid until it expires when you need to have a UK address to renew it.

Read information on DVLA web site while l was changing my old UK paper DL for a photo-copy one a good while back along with what l remember, reading something about a 1000 pound fine if you don't notify them of change of address.

I don't have a UK address anymore my UK bank uses my Thailand address.

Nothing written by me about International treaty being a scam, only organisations issuing IDP to get some dosh because there're hardly going to go to the trouble of saying you don't a IDP for that country or that country etc.

Dunno why do this because l'm always right. laugh.png From a web site http://www.drive-in-uk.com/

UK DL. a few snippets.

Previously, the driving license holders were required to send their paper counterpart for updating their personal details but now this is not the case as paper counterpart doesn’t exist anymore. Now the license holders are asked to use DVLA’s online service for updating their driving license information in order to avoid £1000 fine.

DVLA will also be confirming all your provided details with the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You can get your address updated/changed on your driving license online with DVLA without paying any processing fee. Get started with the application procedure by using your Government Gateway ID.

From a licensing standpoint, you’re the same as someone who’s never had a licence. You can drive on your foreign licence for 12 months. After that, you’ll need to pass the test and get a GB licence. ( includes Thai DL for cars dunno about motorbike )

Note that you can’t update your new address on your British driving license, if you are moving to a new residence which is in abroad. For that purpose, you will have to contact the driving license authority in the country where your new residence is.

This is a new site to me so have sent a message asking for update on how long is a UK DL valid for if residing in a non-European country. More or less ans above to me anyhow.

As is usual on this - and any other Forum I have found - endless debate about why, why not, what if, could I ... It is such a small amount of money, takes such a short time to get one, the benefits far outway any inconvenience, having both - or 3 - is a no brainer. Well - to me anyway.

As is usual on this - and any other Forum I have found - endless debate about why, why not, what if, could I ... It is such a small amount of money, takes such a short time to get one, the benefits far outway any inconvenience, having both - or 3 - is a no brainer. Well - to me anyway.

I agree.

I currently hold 3 car and 3 motorcycle licences. 1 set from 3 different countries. So I am completely legal in all 3 when I drive. (Of course if I don't speed) :) :)