Dutchman dies in three-vehicle smash in Phuket

webfact

Dutchman dies in three-vehicle smash
Phuket Gazette

pkt.jpeg
The Dutchman was pronounced dead at Vachira Phuket Hospital. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A 45-year-old Dutch man died in a three-vehicle crash in Phuket last night, which also left an unidentified Thai woman severely injured.

Witnesses told police that a collision between the Dutchman and a Thai woman riding a motorcycle near Chalong Circle caused the man’s bike to cross over the road into oncoming traffic and collide with a bus. Witnesses’ statements do not clarify how or why the initial impact between the two motorbikes occurred, confirmed Lt Cholada Chokdeesrijan of Chalong Police.

The accident occurred at about 10.30pm. Rescue workers took both victims to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where the Dutchman was pronounced dead.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Dutchman-dies-threevehicle-smash/63455?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-18

Foreigner killed, hits oncoming Phuket tour bus in motorbike crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1458271595_1-org.jpg
Photographs from the scene provided to The Phuket News show that the foreign man had a passage of script tattooed down his left torso. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A foreign man died and a Thai man was injured when the motorbikes they were riding collided, sending the foreign man into an oncoming Phuket tour bus near Chalong Circle last night (Mar 17).

The accident occurred in front of the Accident and Emergency Department of the yet-to-be-built Chalong Hospital on Chao Fa West Rd at 10:30pm.

Lt Chollada Chokdeesrijan of the Chalong Police arrived at the scene with Ruamjai Foundation rescue workers to find the body of the foreign man, estimated to be 27 to 35 years old, on the road with severe head trauma and a broken neck.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreigner-killed-hits-oncoming-phuket-tour-bus-in-motorbike-crash-56653.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-18

With the injuries sustained, it seems unlikely this unfortunate man would have survived even if the proposed, adjacent A&E Hospital had been completed.

However, it does illustrate the urgent need for such a facility in the south of the island. It's estimated 2 people die each month on the long trip from the south to a hospital in the city.

With the injuries sustained, it seems unlikely this unfortunate man would have survived even if the proposed, adjacent A&E Hospital had been completed.

However, it does illustrate the urgent need for such a facility in the south of the island. It's estimated 2 people die each month on the long trip from the south to a hospital in the city.

No argument there OC, +1.

They did put that new hospital in about halfway to Central from Chalong, but with what is going to be a three year Chalong circle mess not sure if it really makes any difference time-wise.

No argument there OC, +1.

They did put that new hospital in about halfway to Central from Chalong, but with what is going to be a three year Chalong circle mess not sure if it really makes any difference time-wise.

Yes, but, I'm a bit confused about the role of Dibuk Hospital. It apparently has an emergency department, but from what I can see all cases bypass the place and head for Vachira or BPH.

He was reported dead at the hospital, not at the scene of the accident.

So he is not included in the Thailand road death figures.

Did he have a motorbike license? Bloody dangerous all these inexperienced farangs riding around Thailand with no knowledge of the driving conditions here. I know, because ten years ago, i was one myself. Luckily I only hurt myself and no innocent Thais.

Did he have a motorbike license? Bloody dangerous all these inexperienced farangs riding around Thailand with no knowledge of the driving conditions here. I know, because ten years ago, i was one myself. Luckily I only hurt myself and no innocent Thais.

Roomuck you are a funny guy. I like you.

Perhaps if Phuket had proper public transport there would be a lot less need for the amount of A & E the island already has.

Perhaps if Phuket had proper public transport there would be a lot less need for the amount of A & E the island already has.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Roomuck you are a funny guy. I like you.

Nothing says "Funny" like "... 27 to 35 years old, on the road with severe head trauma and a broken neck."

What an incredible punchline .. I can hardly contain my laughter.

What has become of this world ... where this is a joke?

Reply if you like ... but it will only prove to put in italics your bizarre values...or lack of them.

You don't have to be In experienced to get taken out, plenty of ' experienced' riders have been taken out by idiots behind a wheel.

Edited by roo860

I would love a nice BMW RS. However, I have a beautiful daughter and wife and they need me much more than I every need to get on any bike in this place. Stay safe - avoid bikes in Phuket.

Sad but true, good advice too although I would avoid bikes anywhere in Thailand, not just Phuket.

The accident happened nowhere near the Chalong A & E. The poor guy was already wrapped in a white bag outside the noodle shop next to Elite gym.

So the accident actually happened over 1/2 kilometer north of where the press reported it?

They even provided GE maps of the supposed accident location.

And, I seem to have missed the fact that an A&E centre has already opened at Chalong in advance of the proposed new hospital. It was constructed very quickly.

My apologies for any misleading posts I may have made in regard to this facility.

I note it's only open 12 hours a day, so currently not much help for any early hours mishaps.

Way off topic .... as usual

Not off topic really, although perhaps a bit stale at this point.

A half-decent public transport system might entice people to hop onto a bus home after a night out rather than chancing their luck on a bike or paying some extortionate fee for a 5 or 10km ride in a souped-up tin can driven by a bi-polar nutbag with anger management issues and a machete under his seat.

Sadly it isn't going to happen so all that we can do is try to be safe and shrug it off with forlorn certainty that it'll be a matter of days if not hours until the next report identical in almost every aspect comes along.

Way off topic .... as usual

Rubbish.

The lack of proper public transport on Phuket has a direct effect on the amount of traffic on the roads, hence, the amount of accidents causing injury and death.

Everyone must have access to a vehicle on Phuket, or face being extorted by the transport mafia here.

This is why Phuket's roads are among some of the most dangerous in the world.

beatdeadhorse.gif

I'll keep flogging the dead horse while people keep dying on the roads here due to Phuket having no proper public transport.

People need to know the transport mafia here are indirectly murdering people.

beatdeadhorse.gif

I'll keep flogging the dead horse while people keep dying on the roads here due to Phuket having no proper public transport.

People need to know the transport mafia here are indirectly murdering people.

You are injecting/assuming that this fellow would have used it had it been there, as one poster has appropriately put, quite "stale" NKM.

Please give it a rest, we all know where you stand ad nauseum.

The accident happened nowhere near the Chalong A & E. The poor guy was already wrapped in a white bag outside the noodle shop next to Elite gym.

So the accident actually happened over 1/2 kilometer north of where the press reported it?

They even provided GE maps of the supposed accident location.

And, I seem to have missed the fact that an A&E centre has already opened at Chalong in advance of the proposed new hospital. It was constructed very quickly.

My apologies for any misleading posts I may have made in regard to this facility.

I note it's only open 12 hours a day, so currently not much help for any early hours mishaps.

In answer to your question, yes. I think the A & E should be more rightly called a clinic but who knows. My understanding is the land was donated to build a hospital so perhaps the "clinic" was built in place of a hospital so the market & the rents could continue..