Are they pushing us to retirement visas?

It's a perception thing, that hasn't been thought through in these days of instant overseas wire transfers, 800k one minute, 200k the next.

The only perception thing I see is that the IMM Officers may not be happy when one submits photos of a palatial estate on their marriage extension application and then professes the great inconvenience of putting up another 10K baht for the retirement extension presuming the applicant is over 50.

• Like 1

This is what the immigration officer in Hua Hin was telling my wife in Thai, never mind I was there sitting next. He told her blatantly " we don't want people with just small money, we want them to keep big money (800K), it is better for Thailand." My wife was ready to spit on him and I was ready to piss on his desk.... Fortunately we both could contain ourselves.

My question:

What good does it do for Thailand for us to have 800K tied up in the bank?

Would it not be better for Thailand if we were out spending that money?

Well, along those lines, I have read reports here of some immigration offices not happy seeing 800 k baht sitting in the bank. while that meets what the law says, the officials then asked that if that money was not changing, then how was the falang living? What money was he using? Then of course they jump to suspicions that the falang was working in Thailand without a permit, etc. It is kind of a catch 22. If you go 800K baht route, you get dinged for not showing money being spent or money coming in!

It is less work for them and can get stamped in one day......

That is Thailands own fault, they deliberately make you jump through more hoops to get the Marriage extensions.

Same old Thailand, never make things easier for you when they can make them harder.

But hey! We are "guests" in this country, are we not?

In my home, "guests" are people I invite to enter.

How many of us were invited to live in Thailand?

Great point Willy, some westerners are too stupid to see that.

This is what the immigration officer in Hua Hin was telling my wife in Thai, never mind I was there sitting next. He told her blatantly " we don't want people with just small money, we want them to keep big money (800K), it is better for Thailand." My wife was ready to spit on him and I was ready to piss on his desk.... Fortunately we both could contain ourselves.

My question:

It only has to be tied up for 3 months (2 the first time). Then you can go out and spend it on whatever.

Is this correct for the retirement extension when applying for the 1yr stay? As long as I meet the 3 month requirement of my 800k in the bank I can use it after my extension is approved? Therefore when the next extension comes around for the next year I had another 800K in my bank for 3 months before applying for that 2nd year?

Just getting clarification that I don't have to just let my money sit in the bank all year, I can use it, right? I have other sources which I don't have to disclose to them because I was originally on the Type-O retirement and met all the requirements when it was approved, correct?

• Like 1

The only reason why most people use "marriage visa" is because of the lower financial requirement, right or wrong?

I used the Retirement type because I did not have proof of monthly income, I have a savings and investments in the US that I used, I no longer work a job, just living off my own benefits I built over the years. Not want all the hassle of getting the documents for the other money, not want them to know about, they have no need to know it as long as I meet all their requirements that seem to change like replacing old milk in the fridge.

• Like 1

With a Retirement Extension -- changes in the marriage status mean little to nothing. Some men prefer not to rely on the marriage never ending... And use the Retirement Extension status to make a point to the wife that using marriage (marriage extension) as leverage is not an option I have a friend who had his jerked out from under him and had to scramble to get his finances in order to remain in Thailand ... Pre-planning means no scrambling ...

• Like 2

The only reason why most people use "marriage visa" is because of the lower financial requirement, right or wrong?

Wrong.

Most are likely not over age 50 so it is not even an option to them.

If over age 50 then probably right.

• Like 1

I dont know about 'most', but also the option of obtaining a workpermit on an extension based on marriage can be a reason. It is for me e.g. And of course age can be an issue as well.

Edited by stevenl

My question:

The 800KB requirement is to demonstrate that you actually have something to your name at the time of making your application. Many foreigners living here do not have even this fairly small amount to their name, and just because they dont have it in the bank doesnt mean that they will be spending it instead.

The assumption is that people will also be spending money, but as this is impossible to prove they concentrate on the assets in the bank (or on verified income). This makes sense to me.

I've also noticed that if you own your own condo, and if you have significantly more than 800KB in the bank, they pay far less attention to you and your application than if you rent and only have the bare minimum on paper.

But the Hua Hin immigration officer is right: Thailand does want people with plenty of money to spend, and not people who are just getting by. Most other countries ask for a much larger financial guarantee for retirement visas/extensions.

I dont know about 'most', but also the option of obtaining a workpermit on an extension based on marriage can be a reason. It is for me e.g. And of course age can be an issue as well.

For some that is the reason.

When I got my first extension based based upon marriage about 8 years ago it was because of the lower income requirement and the ability to work if I wanted to. Also in my opinion the extension based upon marriage is the correct extension for me because I don't consider myself to be here for retirement it is to live with my family.

Now I could do a retirement extension by putting a small amount in one of my bank accounts to do the combination method but it is just not worth the effort to do it plus the penalties and loss of interest to move it from where it is at now.

For me it is not a lot additional effort to do the extension based upon marriage. I only have to go once a year since immigration allows my wife to take my passport and to get the extension stamp done when the approval comes in. Most of the time I make the 2nd trip but not always.

• Like 1

Well I want to change extension to stay based on married to retired because I dont want to go back one more time (30 days after) to IO.

If I knew this trouble about spouse visa I wouldnt apply for in teh first time (2 years ago). I am over 50. I wont work. I have pension over 100.000 bath/month.

Next year I will change this to retirment. And save time. And save papperwork. Tell me. Do I think wrong?

So, we came prepared, they changed the ground rules. It appears they know not what they do. So far only five or so hours and we have one extension--well, what should I expect from a country which cannot even serve two meals at the same time.

Yes, why can't they serve two meals at the same time! I always send one back to be heated again if they do not arrive at the same time! Very annoying.

On the subject of visa annual extension of stay based on retirement, I always go prepared with relevant paperwork, required previously, but there is usually some "new" rule or paperwork not seen before, or it's a different IO with another interpretation etc. I regard it as an adventure into the unknown! Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

My question:

The 800KB requirement is to demonstrate that you actually have something to your name at the time of making your application. Many foreigners living here do not have even this fairly small amount to their name, and just because they dont have it in the bank doesnt mean that they will be spending it instead.

฿800,000 is £15,845 and this might be a small amount to you Mr. Wealthy, but it is a small fortune to many of us! I only have my monthly pension to live off and even if I were to save ฿20,000 (£396) per month it would take three and a half years to acquire that "fairly small" amount! Perhaps you are unaware that the UK State Pension is only £502 p.m. (฿25,345)! I am fortunate indeed that I have a small work pension which brings me up above the ฿65,000 p.m. threshold which has allowed me to retire here. Some people in UK are reduced to poverty by trying to live off their pensions, and would give their eye teeth for a quarter of your "fairly small" amount. If you have that much money, I hope that you donate some to charity to help others less fortunate than yourself!

My question:

Good question.

I don't think the idea was/is that the 800k sits in a bank account untouched, but that it's the money to be used to fund the 1 year permission to stay and spent in Thailand.

Another satisfied "guest"??????

Depending on the vagaries of the exchange rates I might be forced to find a wife to continue my stay here..every week up and down like a blue arse fly. At this time however I'm well above the minimum needed to stay on a retirement extension. Getting a retirement extension is certainly less cumbersome if you have the money needed.

My question:

It only has to be tied up for 3 months (2 the first time). Then you can go out and spend it on whatever.

Is this correct for the retirement extension when applying for the 1yr stay? As long as I meet the 3 month requirement of my 800k in the bank I can use it after my extension is approved? Therefore when the next extension comes around for the next year I had another 800K in my bank for 3 months before applying for that 2nd year?

Just getting clarification that I don't have to just let my money sit in the bank all year, I can use it, right? I have other sources which I don't have to disclose to them because I was originally on the Type-O retirement and met all the requirements when it was approved, correct?

Correct on both counts.

Have always shown more than 800,000 Baht in my bank account when renewing my visa extension based on marriage. I can't recall anyone ever recommending a retirement visa to me. Maybe once, many years ago, but maybe not. I can't really remember.

Those on retirement visa, however, are ineligible to apply for permanent residency, nor can they obtain a work permit. Since I might want to either work or pursue permanent residency some day, extension renewal based on marriage is the way I continue to go.

• Like 1

I figured that out but im still going down the supporting Thai Wife route next year as I dont see any rule which says I cant do it that way.

You can do either - your choice.

I changed because it suited me. Last 2 extensions in an out in less than one hour. Approved there and then.

Understand your reasoning but is up to you, not anyone else.

Even though the I/O knows I am not yet 50, she joked around the other day saying I should do retirement extension instead of marriage. I raised an eyebrow, smiled and said yes, I'm aging as fast as I can.

You must have survived 50 years from birth for retirement option AFAIK - this is not a case of being a year old when born as may be used in common age discussions.

What ?

Some measure age by year and not by birthday, so it would be claimed by some that a person in their 50th year was 50 despite not yet having reached/passed their 50th B'day

True... At the Thai hospital where my son was born, as well as his birth certificate, I was listed a year older than I was..

Due to being American and not wanting to have 800,000 baht in a bank account that I have to report on my FBAR every year, they pushed me to the Thailand Elite Visa.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I always thought Amricans could use an income statement stamped by the US Embassy / Consulate as proof of income.

I'm wondering this because next year when the non O-A expires I will need to go for an extension of stay. I won't have 800k in the bank , but I have letters stating my retirement income from my pension plans. If I can, I thought it easier to go to the CM Consulate and get the income statement.

Am I missing something?

Edited by jmd8800

Due to being American and not wanting to have 800,000 baht in a bank account that I have to report on my FBAR every year, they pushed me to the Thailand Elite Visa.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I always thought Amricans could use an income statement stamped by the US Embassy / Consulate as proof of income.

I'm wondering this because next year when the non O-A expires I will need to go for an extension of stay. I won't have 800k in the bank , but I have letters stating my retirement income from my pension plans. If I can, I thought it easier to go to the CM Consulate and get the income statement.

Am I missing something?

You can do an income affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai. You show nothing to the embassy other than your passport and completed affidavit form.

Am I missing something?

You can do an income affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai. You show nothing to the embassy other than your passport and completed affidavit form.

If this affidavit is acceptable as 'proof of income' to immigration for an extension of stay based on retirement, then Americans would not have to put 800K in a bank or other documentation of proof of income. That is how I read this.

Am I missing something?

If this affidavit is acceptable as 'proof of income' to immigration for an extension of stay based on retirement, then Americans would not have to put 800K in a bank or other documentation of proof of income. That is how I read this.

It should be noted that the IO's can and sometimes do want to see evidence for income claimed in an Affidavit. Not everyone has a regular form of income amounting to 65k Baht/month

Yes immigration will accept it as proof of your income. Many people use one including myself (8 times for me).

A few immigration office may ask for back up proof for any proof of income from an embassy. That can be proof of your pension or a bank book showing the some funds coming into the country.

• Like 1

This is not something special for Americans - the same income or income plus savings method is available to all nationalities. As to what there Embassy requires that can vary - and if any doubts immigration can request further supporting documents for declared income from anyone.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I just did a border run to Mae Sai and I'm not do for an extension of stay until Mar 12, 2017. Things could change between now and then, but I always like to know what my options are and not wait until the last minute.

• Like 1