Why is it that thai drivers never slow down for pedestrians

karl2007

It's simple, really. All over Asia, not just in Thailand, the rule is this: the bigger vehicle has the right of way, and smaller vehicles must defer. Period. Think how low one is in this hierarchy when you're on the road (walking) without a vehicle at all...

That is true, one exemption is if you are driving a car you don't want to hit a motorbike.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because if they slow down, they fear getting rear-ended. Everyone tail-gates here.
I certainly don't tailgate here, and neither do a lot of people I know. Best way to deal with tailgating is to pump the brakes a little. It sends a strong message - Back off!

I start my emergency flashers, which get a little more attention than just the brake lights. Over 50% of the tailgaters back off. However, about 5-10% of the tailgaters become more aggressive: start honking, get even closer, or pass dangerously (on a hill or curve) and then cutting in so sharply I have to hit my brakes to avoid a collision. It's a gamble how they're going to react. The latter group--hellbent on their tailgating behaviour--see the flashers or even tapping your brakes as a challenge to their self-endowed right to tailgate. So "sending a message" has its uncertain results.
or how about do the logical thing and move out of the way (to the next lane or the left side of the lane you are in). Most of the Thais know how to do that. You sound like a driver from America who tries to act like the traffic police.
You sound like you've only driven on the Autobahn.

Dude, where I live, there's no shoulders or extra lanes to pull over.

Most Thais might know how to do that (as you informed us), but the fact is--they don't.

Tip: You may want to try driving in Thailand before you offer your sage advice.

Meanwhile, here's a pair that might fit you a little better...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1458565646.327077.jpg

Never even been to Europe. I drive 130 km round trip to work 5 days a week. And in the last 2 years I have driven all over this country.

Thais are much more aware of vehicles speeding up from behind and are much more courteous to move over. America is the only place I've seen someone stupid enough to brake check someone. I don't care if I'm doing 150 kmh, if someone wants to pass me I get out of their way.

Most Thais might know how to do that (as you informed us), but the fact is--they don't.

Good luck with your attitude - IMHO, you'll be one of the accident statistics sooner rather than later with it. And yes, I've been driving a scooter and car in Thailand for five years.

Don't blame theThais alone....If the UK, European and USA drivers drove

In their Countries like they do in Thailand they would be in jail. The Thais,

Really,don't know better; in a lot of cases the Westerners are just stupid!

This reply is like a textbook example of "thainess".

Because if they slow down, they fear getting rear-ended. Everyone tail-gates here.

I certainly don't tailgate here, and neither do a lot of people I know. Best way to deal with tailgating is to pump the brakes a little. It sends a strong message - Back off!

I start my emergency flashers, which get a little more attention than just the brake lights. Over 50% of the tailgaters back off. However, about 5-10% of the tailgaters become more aggressive: start honking, get even closer, or pass dangerously (on a hill or curve) and then cutting in so sharply I have to hit my brakes to avoid a collision. It's a gamble how they're going to react. The latter group--hellbent on their tailgating behaviour--see the flashers or even tapping your brakes as a challenge to their self-endowed right to tailgate. So "sending a message" has its uncertain results.

I hope that such drivers die a horrible slow death in a burning car without any other casualities. The sooner the better.

or how about do the logical thing and move out of the way (to the next lane or the left side of the lane you are in). Most of the Thais know how to do that. You sound like a driver from America who tries to act like the traffic police.

Never even been to Europe. I drive 130 km round trip to work 5 days a week. And in the last 2 years I have driven all over this country.

Thais are much more aware of vehicles speeding up from behind and are much more courteous to move over. America is the only place I've seen someone stupid enough to brake check someone. I don't care if I'm doing 150 kmh, if someone wants to pass me I get out of their way.

In the US you're supposed to go around, not tailgate.

Everyone seems to be in a hurry to get by until you move over, then they seem to want to creep by and force you to slow down as you come up behind a slow vehicle in the left lane.

You know sometimes during the morning after a reasonable number of drinkies you feel like your head is not realy there? That's how I imagine a large part of Asia to permanently feel. It's the only way I can make some sort of sense of much of what I've witnessed over the last 15 years.

Pedestrians? They're the lo-so that can't even afford a car, right?

You live in your car do you? Never venture anywhere on foot and never cross a road?

Sure, from garage to lift and back. No bloody way I'm going to play such extreme sports on the deadliest roads of the world, par war zones.

You live in your car do you? Never venture anywhere on foot and never cross a road?

Sure, from garage to lift and back. No bloody way I'm going to play such extreme sports on the deadliest roads of the world, par war zones.

So you can access everything from the seat of your car, banks, restaurants, bars, 7/11's etc?

Law of economics . It costs nothing for a pedestrian to stop and wait , it costs a lot for motorvehicules to stop and drive off again. Look at your gas/diesel comsumption meter as you drive off from stopping. In my stupid country , you have to stop when a pedestrian comes near a crossing , so 1 to 20 vehicules (or more) have to brake and drive again for 1 pedestrian ( or bicycle) ...ridiculous , insane ! Be glad you live in Thailand ! I don't stop for pedestrians either. They are the lowest in the traffic food chain. ( I stop for dogs & cats though).

This has got to be either a troll post, or someone with Thai mentality.

Pedestrians have the right to cross the road.

IMO. Zebra crossings should be done away with and replaced with pedestrian lights, then

both the driver and the pedestrian have an equal chance. This would apply in Western countries also.

It must be the Thai mentality rubbing off on me. I'm pretty selfish but not so selfish to expect or want motorists to stop for me when I cross the street on foot. I know my place as a pedestrian. Even back in the nanny/police state , I often signal drivers to pass and not stop for me. Stopping and waiting costs me no energy just a little time as a pedestrian.

Absolute rubbish, and not what everyone's saying! No one expects them to STOP, but instead to just simply slow down a little and NOT speed up specifically to keep you from crossing ahead of them! It's not usually that hard to find a gap in the traffic, but thai drivers act like it's some kind of personal embarrassment to let a pedestrian cross the street in front of them if they can possibly prevent it...

A variation on the same theme ... Awhile back I was getting ready to cross a soi right at the corner of an intersection with a heavy traffic road. Because of the traffic on the main road (almost bumper-to-bumper), there was a line of 5 or 6 cars waiting in the soi to turn onto it. I went to cross between the 1st & 2nd (#1 pretty much had his nose stuck way out into the road, as you'd expect...), and the idiot thai driver in the 2nd car saw me and actually nudged her car almost right up against #1's rear bumper so I wouldn't be able to walk between. (I have to admit, it was sort of impressive the way she was able to close the gap to within about 2-3 inches without contacting the other bumper.) I wanted to just walk across the hood of her car (!) but stepped back and walked around the car in front of her (#1) and crossed in front of him instead, making sure I was looking at her & smiling in the process. (The #1 driver also started inching forward when he saw me going around him.) Just the usual vacuous 1000-yd stares from both of them, trying very hard to pretend they didn't see me. Hilarious. What a pair of morons.

Honestly, the me-first thing in Thailand is a social disease. 20yrs ago you'd have rarely if ever seen behavior like that, even in Bangkok.

Edited by hawker9000

So you can access everything from the seat of your car, banks, restaurants, bars, 7/11's etc?

Yeah, no problem. Do as much as you can in online and park in front of the establishments. If they don't have a parking lot, never mind.

As has been explained to me by a Thai person:

Cars don't stop for people, its your responsibility to stop for them or get out of their way. Doesn't really have anything to do with being nice or caring, just 'the way it always has been'. From a certain point of view it makes a bit of sense (people are more agile so they can stop and not cross quickly, or suddenly cross faster, whereas cars can not really do this as it could cause an accident).

Although the Thai people have explained that motorbikes going the wrong way on the sidewalk is not very nice :).

I'm less worried about the cars/zebra crossing, more concerned about the motorbike that comes off the road to go on the sidewalk behind me, so he can go onto the next road against traffic to a soi 50m down.

Ah, Bangkok, where European driving rules is something that they might of heard on TV once.. maybe....

Cars don't stop for people, its your responsibility to stop for them or get out of their way. Doesn't really have anything to do with being nice or caring, just 'the way it always has been'. From a certain point of view it makes a bit of sense (people are more agile so they can stop and not cross quickly, or suddenly cross faster, whereas cars can not really do this as it could cause an accident).

Although the Thai people have explained that motorbikes going the wrong way on the sidewalk is not very nice :).

I'm less worried about the cars/zebra crossing, more concerned about the motorbike that comes off the road to go on the sidewalk behind me, so he can go onto the next road against traffic to a soi 50m down.

Ah, Bangkok, where European driving rules is something that they might of heard on TV once.. maybe....

People are more agile than a several thousand pound vehicle traveling at speed? That is precisely the reason that most western countries where I have lived give the priority to the pedestrian. When a car hits a pedestrian, guess who always looses?

Your agility argument is a real stretch if you are including older people, and heaven help the handicapped here, or a mother, father or family with youngsters trying to get across the street.

IMO this pretty much defines a modern society vs. one who puts little or no value on human life.

I don't really place blame here other than thinking it is how people are raised and just do not know any better. It reminds me a bit of when I swim laps at the pool and teenagers and young adults show up and seem to be unaware that politeness says you avoid or give way to that person who is already swimming in that lane.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Although the Thai people have explained that motorbikes going the wrong way on the sidewalk is not very nice smile.png.

People are more agile than a several thousand pound vehicle traveling at speed? That is precisely the reason that most western countries where I have lived give the priority to the pedestrian. When a car hits a pedestrian, guess who always looses?

Your agility argument is a real stretch if you are including older people, and heaven help the handicapped here, or a mother, father or family with youngsters trying to get across the street.

IMO this pretty much defines a modern society vs. one who puts little or no value on human life.

I don't really place blame here other than thinking it is how people are raised and just do not know any better. It reminds me a bit of when I swim laps at the pool and teenagers and young adults show up and seem to be unaware that politeness says you avoid or give way to that person who is already swimming in that lane.

I said it made a 'bit' of sense, not that it was a good perspective :) Yes, a health individual can go from walking pace to full stop instantly, whereas a car can not. And that same individual can go from walk to run almost instantly, whereas a car would have more difficulty to do so. And it is often easier for a healthy individual to clear the 3' needed to survive :)

Where of course it makes no sense is if you are not healthy, or fully paying attention, or despite your best attempts you get hit (and yes of course you take the brunt of the damage). I never said it was a good idea, but that seems to be the mentality here.

I'm much happier pedestrian wise in Germany where the cars actually stop if you are within a foot of the zebra on the off chance you might want to cross :)

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2016 at 5:38 PM, Henryford said:

I am scared to slow or stop approaching a zebra crossing, certain someone will rear end me.

This.. Happened to me twice. Kind of.

First time, i stop, motorbike behind med hits the breaks. Third motorbike behind hits the second... I didnt get hit. But still "felt" like i "caused" the accident. 

Pedestrians didnt cross lol.

Second time, i stop, motorbike behind me looses control and fall into my side. Pedestrians didnt cross.

My thai driving teacher said i should never ever stop for stop signs because its too risky getting rear ended by unprepared tailgaters. I think same logic applies to unmonitored pedestrian crossings.

17 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, to avoid accidents never stop for anything in Thailand!!!! Stoping most always results in an collision!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So if someone is walking across the road you just run over them?