What is with Thais and directions and time

churchill

I'm sure this has been raised before ..

But directions from Thais are generally impossible .... They seem to have no understanding of distance or landmarks

An Example .. but many more .. I recently asked directions to a Hotel in Surat Thani and was told to turn right at the main junction by the school .. Lots of main junctions in Surat and I'm sure lots of schools ..We eventually got there but many phone calls and a lot more complicated that it should have been

Time ... asking about a court case , told will have an answer in 2 weeks and many times the same ... after 2 week asked for an update told well not really 2 weeks maybe another week or 10 days and so it goes on ..

Same with when we can expect this or that ... 30 days .. after 30 days .... Oh ... Yes ... another 10 days or so .. And so it goes on ...blink.png

Are these problems linked ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

compass directions are known by few Thais.

Usually, when trying to get someplace, you get directions from one person, then go a few blocks, get directions from someone else, then go a few blocks, .....and so on.

It's going to take decades for Thais to segue from hocus pocus thinking (ghosts, talismans, assuming people know what others are thinking, etc) ....to scientific thinking.

It doesn't help that their words for near and far are nearly identical. I tell the joke about a Thai army guy in a front trench during warfare. He's a spotter for a grenade launcher further back. a bomb drops. the spotter shouts 'glai!' (farther), but the bomb launcher hears 'glaie' (closer!) A few seconds later .....ka-boom!. Spotter goes on to next lifetime.

Trying to find the airport in Ubon 2 days ago, my friend stopped and asked a passerby. The man took his time to give what were complicated but exact directions involving about 6 turns and they turned out to be spot on.

Many times I've been in a taxi that could not find the destination address, often complicated with sois and sub-sois. Any time they have stopped and asked at a moto-taxi stand, good directions were always provided.

I spent most of my working life on the road and found when you ask directions, you take your chances, no matter where it is. Certainly not singular to Thailand.

The trouble is they have no pubs or churches to go by. (Applies to UK only)

eg turn left at the mucky duck (The Black Swan) straight on past St. Mary's then turn left at the white 'oss. (White Horse pub)

But they have temples and Som tam stalls [emoji23]

I find its a mixture of things. For one, the Thai language doesn't seem to be one of clarity. My missus has the attention span of a card board box. For a start she would usually rather cut her hand off than ask for directions. Some silly loss of face thing no doubt. Then, if she does...there will be a lengthy conversation back and forth....can go on for 10 minutes then she'll turn around and say "he doesn't know". if the person did give her directions she won't have absorbed a word of it...even though she's nodding and appearing to comprehend. We'll drive 200m and she can't tell me the first turn. Other thing is.....Thai people can't say "I don't know". Again a face thing. I've learnt now...if u ask a Thai something....and they hesitate for more than a couple of seconds...they don't have a clue and are about to tell you an absolute fairy story so they don't look stupid...even though u will soon learn they did not infact have a clue and bullshted you and are infact stupid. Like a big game of let's pretend. Took me prodding my missus 3 days for her to work up the courage to go and ask the neighbour's if they would be able to give us the number for their water delivery man. Must be awful being so encumbered with that crap

Edited by Kenny202

Why not just use Google Maps?

And drive off an abyss somewhere? The maps are only as good as the update and it doesn't happen in Thailand.

I use google maps in Thailand and find them far better than the GPS maps you get in units from the likes of Garmin, so believe your confused, Thailand doesnt update google maps, Google updates google maps...but nice try anyway

I love Google maps but again clarity in Thailand is impossible. Ok for major landmarks and better possibly if you can write Thai. I got an address of a Thai website the other day, and this has happened many times. Google maps English spelling of the street was 300% different to the businesses version of their address. Have a look at the street signs here in English. Can have 3 signs all within 2km all with different spelling of the same road. My wife says it's similar even written in Thai. Spell it how it sounds

Edited by Kenny202

And drive off an abyss somewhere? The maps are only as good as the update and it doesn't happen in Thailand.

I use google maps in Thailand and find them far better than the GPS maps you get in units from the likes of Garmin, so believe your confused, Thailand doesnt update google maps, Google updates google maps...but nice try anyway

I agree with geriatrickid, you cannot trust google maps or Garmin, there have been cases of drivers getting lost by hundreds of kms, coz they were reliant only on the technology whistling.gif

I agree with geriatrickid, you cannot trust google maps or Garmin, there have been cases of drivers getting lost by hundreds of kms, coz they were reliant only on the technology whistling.gif

I would trust Google maps more than I would trust the drivers you refer to.

Try and give them a map and see the look of utter incredulity on their faces

I took a screen shot of my development and house location from Google Earth (so the roads are all in Thai), live immediately off of Sukhumvit with a mile marker right across from the mooban entrance, between two major landmarks and they still have to call and get directions

Their minds just seem to be wired differently than a Western mind - My wife can "run" into the bank to make a deposit and come out 45 minutes later... I learned to have a book with me at all times... I am not doing business here - it is an adjustment to live w/o a clock but a nice adjustment for retirement..

I find its a mixture of things. For one, the Thai language doesn't seem to be one of clarity. My missus has the attention span of a card board box. For a start she would usually rather cut her hand off than ask for directions. Some silly loss of face thing no doubt. Then, if she does...there will be a lengthy conversation back and forth....can go on for 10 minutes then she'll turn around and say "he doesn't know". if the person did give her directions she won't have absorbed a word of it...even though she's nodding and appearing to comprehend. We'll drive 200m and she can't tell me the first turn. Other thing is.....Thai people can't say "I don't know". Again a face thing. I've learnt now...if u ask a Thai something....and they hesitate for more than a couple of seconds...they don't have a clue and are about to tell you an absolute fairy story so they don't look stupid...even though u will soon learn they did not infact have a clue and bullshted you and are infact stupid. Like a big game of let's pretend. Took me prodding my missus 3 days for her to work up the courage to go and ask the neighbour's if they would be able to give us the number for their water delivery man. Must be awful being so encumbered with that crap

Exactly.

You've travelled Thailand a bit.

It's the way it is and it's not going to change. I sort of like the game and I certainly get to see a lot of things that I wouldn't have if I'd gone the 'right' way.

Unfortunately I own a GPS with a wicked sense of humour.

Usually, when trying to get someplace, you get directions from one person, then go a few blocks, get directions from someone else, then go a few blocks, .....and so on.

It's going to take decades for Thais to segue from hocus pocus thinking (ghosts, talismans, assuming people know what others are thinking, etc) ....to scientific thinking.

It doesn't help that their words for near and far are nearly identical. I tell the joke about a Thai army guy in a front trench during warfare. He's a spotter for a grenade launcher further back. a bomb drops. the spotter shouts 'glai!' (farther), but the bomb launcher hears 'glaie' (closer!) A few seconds later .....ka-boom!. Spotter goes on to next lifetime.

Boomer is correct. You can not expect the directions you get to be 100% accurate. It's like a murder mystery and you have to collect all the clues. So follow the first set of directions for several minutes and then ask someone else. Even if you don't get the right answers, eventually you can triangulate the position.

I have come to believe that Thai people rarely understand each other more than 50% it really comes down to the inability of the language to be precise (except with food).

Google maps will at least put me on the neighborhood. If I have to ask direction and they hesitate more than a few seconds I will ask someone else. Usually a series of asking directions will get you there...eventually. What gets me is that if I ask my wife to ask someone a simple question, "What time/day/month is it?", is the sun shining? is it raining?, they will have a five minute conversation and when I ask her what he said, she says, "He doesn't know."

Boomer is correct. You can not expect the directions you get to be 100% accurate. It's like a murder mystery and you have to collect all the clues. So follow the first set of directions for several minutes and then ask someone else. Even if you don't get the right answers, eventually you can triangulate the position.

I have come to believe that Thai people rarely understand each other more than 50% it really comes down to the inability of the language to be precise (except with food).

Even with food it can get weird. "Kao Soi" (literally; 'food pretty' or 'rice road') is supposed to mean white noodles, but it could mean other things.

Tell a waitress you want 'glua' (salt) and she might think you're afraid of something

Ask a waitress for 'pet' (duck) and you might get a kick in the shin, because pet also means sex. (or you might get a phone number!).

If the bill ends in sip-et (11) it could be heard as sip-paet (18), or vice versa.

If you ask for a fried egg 'over-easy' - at some places (like guest houses) they'll understand. Yet, if you demonstrate with hand motions you want the egg just a half second (krung wee-natee) turned over, they'll act like they understand, but they are genetically incapable of doing it that quickly. The egg will inevitably be turned over for at least several seconds, until the yellow is as hard as a pencil eraser.

If you tell them you don't want MSG (mai aow pom charot) they'll nod 'yes' with a smile. However, you're trusting they'll tell the cook, and trusting the cook will honor your request. Even if the waitress conveys your message, the cook may think, "it's farang, what do they know? They're not going to tell me how to cook." Either way, the cook will still use some of the 22 bottles of store-bought sauce by the grill, all of which have MSG.

Edited by boomerangutang

As far as I understand it, Garmin maps insist on your giving an exact address including the province. With Google maps I can search on the PC, mark a place as a bookmark and find it on my tablet. Google maps led you hundreds of kilometres out of the way? Your apparatus doesn't have a brain, you do. There was a guy on Thaivisa recently that asked if it really did take 23 hours to get to Pattaya from Bangkok, taking a lot of minor roads. He was in walking mode.

Anyway,after some nagging I got my wife to understand maps even though she hasn't really comprehended the compass points. (although she does often say something like 'you should have gone left back there') and she is no longer shy of asking for directions, but only when we are walking.

Going off topic a bit, I recently found that the concept of 'square metre' was more elusive that quantum theory. Using a ruler on the floor, showing a square with my hands, rudimentary Thai got me no where with my wife, the guy at Global House, his boss, the guys in the loading bay. Crazy Farang frightening innocent Thais. The brother in law didn't understand it either but he just looked at our floor and said ' 9 packets of tiles'. (That's 9 square metres). He was right too.

You think of apple maps being the complete worse. Not google maps. Use it all the time and i never got lost. Loads of addresses are written in thai on google maps. I am sure when people talk about getting lost or wrong directions. They mean apple maps

this is not unique to thailand as anyone who has traveled will be aware.

i spent 2.5 years traveling round the world, overland wherever possible, and the rule of thumb when asking directions was to ask several people and keep checking as you progress.

you manage the risk that the directions you are given are not accurate.

Thais don't always tell you that they don't know. Look into there eyes and if they looked confused they are just making it up. The best advice is ask someone and a little further down the road ask someone else. If you hear the same directions 3 times in a role then you are headed the right way. The measurement for time is walking time. So if they say head this way for 5 minutes then turn left, they mean walking and not driving.