Phuket etiquette course in wake of Chinese tourist prawn gorging

snoop1130

Chutharat Plerin

post-249866-0-47130100-1458562156_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Following Chinese tourists’ chaotic stampede and subsequent gluttonous gorging of piles of prawns at a buffet in Thailand, Phuket will be holding an etiquette course for guides working with Chinese tour companies.

The internet was ablaze with vehement criticism of Chinese tourists this weekend after Chinese media company Shanghaiist published a 33 second video clip showing tourists in a feeding frenzy, which led to the visitors using their plates like shovels to scoop up shrimp at a buffet in Chiang Mai (video here). Follow up photos showed that large amounts of food ended up being wasted.

“I am of aware of the video. However, just because one group of tourists act like this, doesn’t mean that all of them will,” said Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office. “Nonetheless, I am adding discussion about the video to a ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ etiquette presentation I have planned for Chinese tour operators next month.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-etiquette-course-wake-Chinese-tourist-prawn/63481?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-21

Are these the quality tourists that TAT were on about ?

Too right. Thailand should be reserved for the more civilized white people who travel extensively and know how to behave and not offend local customs.

This behaviour is something that no Europeans would do, let's ban all the Chinese because some of them don't behave like we want them to.

There's a definate difference................gorging prawns or beer............Nah..I'll pass!

From notices placed at the buffet counter and shown in the video it shows that this event took place at the Ramayana Restaurant, King Power (duty free) Complex, Soi Rang Nam, Bangkok and not at a Chiang Mai Hotel as reported in the article. Looks like another case of regurgitating news without fact-checking original sources. Now that we know where this took place we may decide to avoid the premises due to the tour groups that frequent the place.

Edited by JeezeLooeze

Not exactly on topic .... but I once spent a few weeks on a Chinese operated drilling rig and I have to say that watching the Chinese workers eating in the canteen was the most disgusing event I have ever seen offshore. Much like this video ... load plates up with everthing available and eat like a pig.

Too right. Thailand should be reserved for the more civilized white people who travel extensively and know how to behave and not offend local customs.

This behaviour is something that no Europeans would do, let's ban all the Chinese because some of them don't behave like we want them to.

I'm guessing that the blaze of indignation was from Thai "netizens".

Do you not agree with them? I certainly do.

With over 1.35 billion of these charmers on their doorstep a few "tats and fats" are the least of their, or my, concerns.

From notices placed at the buffet counter and shown in the video it shows that this event took place at the Ramayana Restaurant, King Power (duty free) Complex, Soi Rang Nam, Bangkok and not at a Chiang Mai Hotel as reported in the article. Looks like another case of regurgitating news without fact-checking original sources. Now that we know where this took place we may decide to avoid the premises due to the tour groups that frequent the place.

Sigh another article from the Phuket Gazette that gets basic facts totally wrong. Good on you for spotting it.

With over 1.35 billion of these charmers on their doorstep a few "tats and fats" are the least of their, or my, concerns.

I am not concerned by the fats and tats or the Chinese.

Every non Thai has the same right to enjoy Thailand as another.

I doubt all 1.35 billon will come to Thailand.

But if they did it would be a great boost to the prawn farming industry.

If they stopped coming Thais will lose money. The more Chinese that come the better for the Thai economy and the Thais in general. More VAT collected. Hotels and staff, tourist attractions and staff, prawns farmers and their workers and communities and just about every other type of farmer, bed linen factories (chonburi), taxis, tuk tusk, bus drivers, mechanics, it is endless.

I bet the prawn farmers are getting excited about this. Give the farangs their buckets of booze, give the Chinese all you can eat "Made in Thailand Prawn Nights". They will love it.

Everyone happy.

No need for concern.

The Thais are great at making everyone feel happy. If some tourists get too out of line, the Thais will help them with a bit of attitude adjustment. Just as it says in the OP.

They are great hosts these Thais. Very clever people.

Tourism just gets bigger and bigger here despite setbacks, tsunami, SARS, chicken flu, political fighting in the streets, a military takeover of the government, erawan shrine, financial crisis, Russian problems etc etc etc and all those "final nails in the tourist coffin" that you read about on thaivisa.

They always bounce back, bigger than before. People queueing up all around the world at airports right now. 24/7365.

India not far to the west, China not far to the north.

Half the worlds population. Growing middle class. It is gonna be huge mate. The prawn farmers are gonna love it.

Sexpats are way worse than than a bunch of cheap charlie Chinese.

The budget Chinese tourist are probably hungry after a days worth of being shuffled around to fake monuments and viewpoints. Can't blame them.

They were ripped off before they came.

Cheap charlie farang on the other-hand. You be the judge.

I am not concerned by the fats and tats or the Chinese.

Every non Thai has the same right to enjoy Thailand as another.

I doubt all 1.35 billon will come to Thailand.

But if they did it would be a great boost to the prawn farming industry.

If they stopped coming Thais will lose money. The more Chinese that come the better for the Thai economy and the Thais in general. More VAT collected. Hotels and staff, tourist attractions and staff, prawns farmers and their workers and communities and just about every other type of farmer, bed linen factories (chonburi), taxis, tuk tusk, bus drivers, mechanics, it is endless.

I bet the prawn farmers are getting excited about this. Give the farangs their buckets of booze, give the Chinese all you can eat "Made in Thailand Prawn Nights". They will love it.

Everyone happy.

No need for concern.

The Thais are great at making everyone feel happy. If some tourists get too out of line, the Thais will help them with a bit of attitude adjustment. Just as it says in the OP.

They are great hosts these Thais. Very clever people.

Tourism just gets bigger and bigger here despite setbacks, tsunami, SARS, chicken flu, political fighting in the streets, a military takeover of the government, erawan shrine, financial crisis, Russian problems etc etc etc and all those "final nails in the tourist coffin" that you read about on thaivisa.

They always bounce back, bigger than before. People queueing up all around the world at airports right now. 24/7365.

India not far to the west, China not far to the north.

Half the worlds population. Growing middle class. It is gonna be huge mate. The prawn farmers are gonna love it.

Many street level Thais are losing money & going out of business due to the influx of the Chinese hordes with only a few big businesses making truckloads of money.

Edited by Valentine

If it is indeed the King Power place on Soi Rang Nam, the general public have difficulty gaining entrance. It is admission by permission only (read : coach tours only). So very easy to avoid the place.

Sexpats are way worse than than a bunch of cheap charlie Chinese.

The budget Chinese tourist are probably hungry after a days worth of being shuffled around to fake monuments and viewpoints. Can't blame them.

They were ripped off before they came.

Cheap charlie farang on the other-hand. You be the judge.

Worse in what way? If you are going to draw comparisons at least give some evidence.

It'd be nice if the vast majority of Chinese tourists weren't on package tours that involve paying everything up-front in China before they fly.

King Power, Large latex company's and a few other wealthy familys/companys are the ones making the money, the flow on's miniscule.

I've seen some buffet lines in the states where the Asian people go nuts over the seafood.
I'm talking all you can eat:lobster, king crab, etc.
So, the people that run the buffet got smart.
They only put out about 12-15 king crab legs at a time and the people waiting have to wait longer if someone in the front takes all of them.
Of course, they do have patience and it makes for me (who does not have patience) eat at the buffet without enjoying the king crab.
But it works.

Anyway, this is King Power apparently and so not much concern to expats or even farang tourists.

Chutharat Plerin

1_201632115610933_UCnjwtipJwkWREAkXBshvdMoezYfVWdpYRZVKHKU_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: -- Following Chinese tourists chaotic stampede and subsequent gluttonous gorging of piles of prawns at a buffet in Thailand, Phuket will be holding an etiquette course for guides working with Chinese tour companies.

The internet was ablaze with vehement criticism of Chinese tourists this weekend after Chinese media company Shanghaiist published a 33 second video clip showing tourists in a feeding frenzy, which led to the visitors using their plates like shovels to scoop up shrimp at a buffet in Chiang Mai (video here). Follow up photos showed that large amounts of food ended up being wasted.

I am of aware of the video. However, just because one group of tourists act like this, doesnt mean that all of them will, said Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office. Nonetheless, I am adding discussion about the video to a Dos and Donts etiquette presentation I have planned for Chinese tour operators next month.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-etiquette-course-wake-Chinese-tourist-prawn/63481?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-21

There's no such thing as Chinese etiquette these are little vulgar vultures with a ravenous hunger that would put a pig to shame having the ability to jostle anyone to the side with their expertise of snarling, biting, pillaging to get polar position on anything edible that seems worth dying for.

Self service with Chinese guests involved is like having dinner with hyenas and expecting them to have manners.

Just saying ..,,,,

“I am of aware of the video. However, just because one group of tourists act like this, doesn’t mean that all of them will,” said Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office.

I'm sure the director has never seen swarms of Chinese locusts acting like rotary hoes at a buffet.

That's why Singapore's Hotel-Restaurants felt forced to charge the greedy for their piled up left overs!

...how much were they being charged 'per head'....that may have something to do with it.....

...besides.....who says he wasn't gathering the food for his table.....does not seem possible one person could or would eat all that....

...always b*tching about foreigners.....

...if you 'pay through the nose' and ' make no basic requests'....you are welcome....

It doesn't bother me. In the eyes of the locals we tourists have been the "shrimp" on the buffet for many years, The Chinese are just evening the playing field by showing their hosts the same approach from the opposite side of the table. You reap what you sow I guess.

Not exactly on topic .... but I once spent a few weeks on a Chinese operated drilling rig and I have to say that watching the Chinese workers eating in the canteen was the most disgusing event I have ever seen offshore. Much like this video ... load plates up with everthing available and eat like a pig.

To be fair, the Filipino boys will do much the same. ;-)