Hole in my Bucket

Liquorice

Do you remember the song?

Shopping in Big C the other day, the cashier inadvertently handed my card to the woman she had just served, who she was in a deep personal conversation with, I suspect they knew each other. I immediately brought it to her attention, sorry, not a problem.

Well it was a problem, a big problem!

At Customer services, I was trying to explain the situation and I wanted a replacement card.

My Thai isn't good enough for these situations, neither was their English.

Now I have a Thai g/f of 2 years who is an angel, but we constantly have one issue, that is her 8 year old son grabs her phone at every opportunity to play games and when such situations arise I can never contact her for help. He just refuses the repeat calls and never tells his Mother someone is trying to call.

She actually lost business because of this as well. This my main complaint. What if it was really serious or I had an accident.

He has a PC and lots of games. A telephone isn't a toy for a child to play with, he doesn't look after it and broke the last one.

It's the only thing we ever argue over.

So I'm stuck in Big C with a trolley full of groceries, some frozen goods and the staff are running around like headless chickens.

They eventually speak to the cashier and the problem becomes evident.

'Passport' is the only word they know. I don't carry it, but I have a drivers licence.

Somebody disappears in the back office with it.

After 30 minutes of waiting, freezer goods defrosting, unable to contact the g/f, I just want to get my DL back and go home.

Eureka! The g/f eventually rings back.

I explain the situation and after another 10 minutes of my phone being handed around the g/f tells me they have rung the customer to try and return the card, otherwise they have to order a new one from Bangkok and that will take a week.

Not to worry, next week I can call in and they should have a card either way, just explain your collecting your card.

Aaaaah! but how will I make them understand what I'm collecting.

'Easy just ring me'

There's a hole in my Bucket...............................

All that hassle to reclaim a Big C card back.

I think that's how I read it.

In over 7 years here I've actually never enjoyed what ludicrous benefits it offers.

What does it actually do ?

I would have been straight of home and got the GF to get a new one sorted next time you went in there.

As for her son typical Thai step son syndrome.

Edited by stoneyboy

Sorry mate, girlfriend has 8 year old son (little angel) you have no chance.

Whatever you say will go in 1 ear, out the other.

I had the same problem before with my ex and her son.

He can do whatever he wants and thats it.

Only answer is buy him his own phone.

In over 7 years here I've actually never enjoyed what ludicrous benefits it offers.

I would have been straight of home and got the GF to get a new one sorted next time you went in there.

The only benefit of having a Big C card that I can work out is the money off vouchers that are printed (sometimes) at the bottom of the receipt. So you need to check and keep your receipts, and use the vouchers on your next visit.

They only seem to be small amounts, say 10 or 20 baht.

The only benefit of having a Big C card that I can work out is the money off vouchers that are printed (sometimes) at the bottom of the receipt. So you need to check and keep your receipts, and use the vouchers on your next visit.

They often have promotions: spend 800 baht get 80 baht discount.

Sometimes the money is deducted directly, sometimes given as a voucher.

Wife buys for 2400 baht and splits the bill into 3.

240 baht discount

Mate, if you don't know enough Thai to say something simple like "that belongs to me, give it back", then how much Thai do you know? Why didn't you just grab the card from her anyway?

If you've had the experience with the kid and the phone before and you haven't reeducated your wife that her sole reason for existing is to be at your beck and call and she should assume you will call for assistance at any time, then i suggest you reeducate her. I'd confiscate the smartphone and give her a 299 Baht Samsung for a month - she'd soon learn.

Honestly, I thought this was a JT post for a minute. whistling.gif

The solutions for the problems.

Girlfriend phone: buy her another phone for exclusive use between you and her. Or if she refuses to control the brat, find another girlfriend.

Store cards: these are a con. Each time a customer makes a purchase the details of what is bought goes into a database. Then the customer is targeted by advertisers in their emails, junk mail and phones with products they know the customer buys frequently at the stores. This is why I won`t have one.

As for the other customer being given your card: tell Big C that you want a new card with all the credits on the old card forwarded to the new card, then how they retrieve it from the lady becomes their problem.

You missed the part;

'Passport' is the only word they know. I don't carry it, but I have a drivers licence.

Somebody disappears in the back office with it.

After 30 minutes of waiting, freezer goods defrosting, unable to contact the g/f, I just want to get my DL back and go home.

Sorry mate, girlfriend has 8 year old son (little angel) you have no chance.

Whatever you say will go in 1 ear, out the other.

He can do whatever he wants and thats it.

Only answer is buy him his own phone.

So she kept the phone and the son, but ditched you.

Sounds a fare compromise.

The contacting the GF is frustrating. What you need to do is buy a cheap phone as a backup for her to stay in touch when her son's around. As for Big C I've never shopped there.

She has a back up phone, the battery is always flat because it's not her main phone.

It doesn't have the same games on as her main phone, so switching is out of the question.

If you get so wind up about a Big C card, than I hope you have spare batteries for your pacemaker.

Needless to say that your girlfriend is a keeper.

Please do you self a favour and enjoy life.

Have a nice day

I do enjoy life. Wound up.....No. Frustrated.....Yes.

Mate, if you don't know enough Thai to say something simple like "that belongs to me, give it back", then how much Thai do you know? Why didn't you just grab the card from her anyway?

If you've had the experience with the kid and the phone before and you haven't reeducated your wife that her sole reason for existing is to be at your beck and call and she should assume you will call for assistance at any time, then i suggest you reeducate her. I'd confiscate the smartphone and give her a 299 Baht Samsung for a month - she'd soon learn.

What a nice man you are and such a male chauvinistic pig.

Firstly when the woman is on one side of the desk and till and I'm on the other side, with a cashier and trolley full of food between us, it's a little difficult to grab anything, and verbally shouting at women may be your scene but not mine.

As for the g/f phone,it's hers, she worked for it, she paid for it.

She is not at my beck and call, and I don't expect her to be.

Honestly, you must be so happily divorced.

The solutions for the problems.

Girlfriend phone: buy her another phone for exclusive use between you and her. Or if she refuses to control the brat, find another girlfriend.

Store cards: these are a con. Each time a customer makes a purchase the details of what is bought goes into a database. Then the customer is targeted by advertisers in their emails, junk mail and phones with products they know the customer buys frequently at the stores. This is why I won`t have one.

As for the other customer being given your card: tell Big C that you want a new card with all the credits on the old card forwarded to the new card, then how they retrieve it from the lady becomes their problem.

You won't own a Store card, so how do you know you'll be targeted for advertisements by mail or phone.

I own several, never been targeted.

What a shame you weren't there, You could have spoken your 3rd paragraph out loudly in fluent Thai so they understood.

Edited by Faz

You have more holes in your bucket than you realize.

Your post is full of problems that only you yourself could and should remedy.

I will not waste time listing them.

Oh Willy, your just jealous of the holes in my bucket.

Go on, a man of your experience about Thai culture and people should be able to list a few holes.

The forum is waiting with bated breath to learn from your infinite wisdom.

Even Liza could tell Henry how to fix the holes in his bucket.

Your not going to be defeated by a woman are you?

What a nice man you are and such a male chauvinistic pig.

Firstly when the woman is on one side of the desk and till and I'm on the other side, with a cashier and trolley full of food between us, it's a little difficult to grab anything, and verbally shouting at women may be your scene but not mine.

As for the g/f phone,it's hers, she worked for it, she paid for it.

She is not at my beck and call, and I don't expect her to be.

Honestly, you must be so happily divorced.

Well, " chauvinistic pig " is a bit over the top, isn't it... Has he hit a nerve ?

I read these topics not for the OP, but for the funny replies, which are far more enjoyable than the OP, imho.

But, seriously , if that little thing was enough to start a topic on TV... Do you go out much, apart from Big C ?

A telephone isn't a toy for a child to play with

I strongly disagree.

Thats where they learn a lot of skills, needed for later on, probably learn better than in the thai public education system.

Brought a phone for both step daughter and daughter very early on, at about 3 yrs old, both spent the first couple years glued to things like thai alphabet songs. Just buy one of those cheap dtac phones, with a very solid drop proof case.

Buy your kid a phone!

The only benefit from a Big C card that I can work out is that they have your phone number which they can sell to those cold calling companies or ad list companies, so you can receive spam messages and calls.'

Not sure though if that is a benefit, that's also why I don't have a big c vard, and never will have although I shop there on a daily base.

You place more importance/value on a Big C card than I would have, therefore the situation wouldnt have arisen to start with.

As for the phone issue, for me, it would be "sort the boy out" he has to learn, or the wife buys him his own and he learns not to touch hers.

You and he presumably have a "relationship" (because of yours with the Mother), they are a package deal, so stop being a bystander and help/teach him what's appropriate and acceptable behaviour.

You place more importance/value on a Big C card than I would have, therefore the situation wouldnt have arisen to start with.

As for the phone issue, for me, it would be "sort the boy out" he has to learn, or the wife buys him his own and he learns not to touch hers.

You and he presumably have a "relationship" (because of yours with the Mother), they are a package deal, so stop being a bystander and help/teach him what's appropriate and acceptable behaviour.

I'm trying to work out w t f a big c card is.

I always just throw a bunch of 1000's baht bills at the check out chick a and do the harry.

Easy.

I thought tvf mids got personal assistants for mediocre tasks like shopping.

The OP should send the son to boarding school then change address while he's at school. Easy. :P

Edited by neverdie

Big C card is like a "loyalty" card, you get points etc when shopping and periodically get discounts etc as the points build up.Tesco and other large stores have similar schemes/programs.

Better than "stickers" that 7-11 hand out. ( if you are into that sort of thing)

Your probably right Charlie, but I think you got the idea about going round in circles.

The boy has been spoken to and accepted the situation.

I expected a tantrum but he remained very calm.

He hasn't touched his Mothers phone since.

He has his own phone, but not the expensive one his Mother has and not the same games.

Until he reaches an age he takes care of things his Mother won't waste money on expensive items for him to break.