Chinese fighting over Thai prawns a thing of the past, say King Power!

rooster59

Well that is a relief, this shocking behaiviour of eating too many prawns is dealt with. ( two years ago)

Perhaps now we can focus on the Russians spitting on the Thais in the street, the Canadians doing runners on their bar and go go bills and the American kiddy fiddlers and give the Chinese bashing a rest.

Many Chinese have got,what we would consider, bad table manners, but generally they are not bad people.

Even if they are not spending as much as others, it still is good for the Thai economy. In many ways. The prawn farmers are raking it in, is just one example.

Peace.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During my frequent travels around Thailand, I always try and avoid big hotels and big restaurants where you can fit these hordes of Chinese tourists.....and I'm sure no amount of education is going to change their approach to buffets. Oink oink oink!

with tour groups all arriving at once and visitors in a mad rush to catch planes....hence the prawn mayhem.

That is the most stupid attempt to excuse Chinese g r e e d!

I wonder what the excuse will be for their habit to Sh#@t wherever they stand.

Edited by Lupatria

Well some Chinese I spoke to about it remember the exact same video being shown on Chinese TV a few years ago.. So I do believe it's an old video.. Let's face it the Land of smiles loves to do the blame game.

LOS finally have an underdog for themselves. People who are more loud, more greedy and more rude! They just love to feel superior, 555

quote-an-arrogant-person-considers-himse

Interesting display of human instinct.

When food supply is satisfactory, humans (animals, et al) are less inclined to compete against one another.

When scarce, real or perceived, this triggers competition, which can result in injury - unintentional or otherwise.

The instinct trigger appears closer to the surface with this group, perhaps through conditioning of a densely populated country and the dynamics of a compressed schedule of a structured Asian tour group. Access to such beautiful looking, expensive prawns for "free" (as part of the inclusive tour package), adds the perceived value aspect involved in the "buffet dynamic".

Western standard of living, less dense population and sufficient, varied food supplies available virtually any time, results in calm satisfaction which in turn, represses the instinct to compete. We characterize this as orderly conduct of a civilized society. Manners. We are repulsed by "disgusting" displays of "savages" such as this. Most westerners would refuse to participate in the fray.

It's a delicate balance. "Black Friday" shopping frenzy in the USA is a good example of momentary breakdown. Imminent threat of natural disaster likely to limit access to resources will flip the instinct switch, manifesting as panic buying/hoarding, pushing, shoving, playing tug-o-war for the last 1 gallon bottle of water on the shelf. In worst case scenarios, resources may be limited to centralized distribution points which may bring out the disgusting savage that resides in each one of us.

I am more confronted by the bottleneck created by King Power at airports: so-called duty free outlets jutting into the passageway to make it more difficult to get past without spending. They will not get a single satang from me.

in these zero baht tour, they dont give you so much food. These people were certainly starving for few days.

Then you bring few hundreds of these people to a buffet, what do you expect?

the chinese bashing, here, is quite lame....

A maitre d'hotel armed with a pistol and shooting blanks in the air would do the job.

Related mental image: passengers rushing for the lifeboats on the Titanic. Must be a British m.o.? Edited by Fookhaht

Out past the Dolphin roundabout in Naklua on the left side heading north is a Restaurant with a banner advertising a "Lunchtime Buffy"...... The Vampire slayer perhaps...?

Ref the Chinese, I wonder how I would react when faced with a Buffet meal after spending from 0700 until 2000 crammed onto a coach and driven hell for leather all over LoS to see pointless buildings, rubbish strewn beaches, mountains of tourist tat ornaments, empty wildlife National Parks, hung up in a parachute for 2 and half minutes off Pattaya (I have timed them on their circuits...!!) etc etc

...who needs training....

...service is more than just taking peoples money...

...they were herded in....

...God knows what they were charged per head...

...in the disorganized mess people were trying to secure some food for their group...

...waste is factored into the business plan...

...blaming the paying customers shows lack of class....

...taking peoples money and insulting and ridiculing them in public....is disgraceful...

...countless details to show management is to blame.....

...since when should the tour guides be blamed either...

...anyone but themselves...

At the Amari Airport hotel when I was there two times for a meeting, the Chinese package tourists at the buffet were re-directed away from the VIP area (read: western area). The Chinese were left to fight for tables, even though there were plenty in that little corner where we (my Thai wife and I) sat. I do like that hotel biggrin.png

You sound really pleased like it was racial segregation.

Well that is a relief, this shocking behaiviour of eating too many prawns is dealt with. ( two years ago)

Perhaps now we can focus on the Russians spitting on the Thais in the street, the Canadians doing runners on their bar and go go bills and the American kiddy fiddlers and give the Chinese bashing a rest.

Many Chinese have got,what we would consider, bad table manners, but generally they are not bad people.

Even if they are not spending as much as others, it still is good for the Thai economy. In many ways. The prawn farmers are raking it in, is just one example.

Peace.

you know how the ppl in this forum view things. If they were committed by a bunch of fellow farangs they would hold back/protect the offenders etc just like the black friday sales in the US it looks terrible but they wouldn't bash them yet were the same thing to happen in china they wouldn't hesitate.

Peace.

you know how the ppl in this forum view things. If they were committed by a bunch of fellow farangs they would hold back/protect the offenders etc just like the black friday sales in the US it looks terrible but they wouldn't bash them yet were the same thing to happen in china they wouldn't hesitate.
The amusing thing is some posters go to great lengths to bleat on about their "superior" Thai/chinese GFs with their double doctorates in Nuclear Physics from Chula, but reading these posts all Chinese are trailer trash Edited by Bobotie

I am more confronted by the bottleneck created by King Power at airports: so-called duty free outlets jutting into the passageway to make it more difficult to get past without spending. They will not get a single satang from me.

Which bottlenecks, at which airports ? I use both international airports frequently and cant recall seeing bottlenecks or dutyfree outlets jutting into the passageways...

Almost fled a restaurant today as I noticed they were getting ready to welcome a tour group. Anticipating being run over while trying to escape and then be coated with mucus and food scraps stopped me from reacting immediately. Imagine my surprise when the group coming in was a bus full of elderly French, all behaving very amiably. Phew. Close call.

My recent flight from Bangkok to Shenzhen was like that. Absolute chaos getting on the plane, getting seated, then off.

Air Asia allows you to buy "hot seats" that give you more leg room and priority boarding. Well, you can forget priority boarding when Chinese are involved. I literally had to push and shove both men and old ladies just so I wasn't pushed down the stairs that led to the plane. The staff was completely helpless.

It wasn't my first time flying to the mainland, but this was by far the worst flight experience.

Oh, I almost forgot, a fight broke out in the plane before take off between a fat Chinese man and an old lady, both seated in the emergency exit row. He rudely called her out and said she was too old to open the door and demanded she gave her seat to him. She went ape s*** on him. The crew finally settled that down and we took off.

Bottom line is, if you are dealing with cheap Chinese tour groups, you're in for it. Barn yard animals they are.

The "restaurant" looks like a HUGE staff canteen..

it seems to me that it could be a free buffet thrown to try to induce the Chinese to spend more on duty-free goods and that possibly encouraged them even more to grab what they could when they could

Edited by Asiantravel

what do you expect from a zero baht tour? They have to lower the price and quantity on everything!

These poor people were certainly hungry, they certainly were feed with small portion of food during few days,

and then you take them to a buffet? what do you expect?

How ridiculous. The world is full of people booking tours that only have breakfast, offer less than they thought, or provide no food, or poor food, and still people do not behave like this. The tourists compliment their tour with buying food or going hungry. They do not act like herd animals.

"Signs in Thai, Chinese and English inform the tourists what to do when confronted by a buffet,....."

I really hate it when the buffet is hostile and confrontational.

Do Chinese glutinous overeating Pigs get the TROTS ???

what do you expect from a zero baht tour? They have to lower the price and quantity on everything!

These poor people were certainly hungry, they certainly were feed with small portion of food during few days,

How ridiculous. The world is full of people booking tours that only have breakfast, offer less than they thought, or provide no food, or poor food, and still people do not behave like this. The tourists compliment their tour with buying food or going hungry. They do not act like herd animals.

"herd animals"

you should feel ashame of yourself!

"herd animals"

you should feel ashame of yourself!

Shame? Its an observation. It is an animal-like behavior. One person calculates another will get more or something else, and moves in. This is observed by others and a frenzy begins. The behavior is evident in crowds, demonstrations, rallies, and when food is scare or thought to be so- Balkans, Haiti, Africa, famine, etc; also, herd animals do this. Not too much to be ashamed of. Its a valid observation. Considering this video is none of the above, its repulsive behavior.

So much anti-Chinese nonsense on this thread. The vast majority of them are well-behaved and on the sophisticated end of the scale compared with many Caucasians I see in hotels in many countries ( worst offenders , in my observation, millenniums of various nationalities, eating food from buffets while still standing at it, licking fingers and then picking up utensils...or just straight to the food with fingers, loud mobile phone conversations, Skype meetings while other people are trying to eat breakfast.

Loud, inconsiderate, unpleasant habits, poor personal hygiene, entering hotel lounges in stinking gym clothes, grasping after "free" champagne. It can be seen every day on planes, in airport lounges, at taxi queues, in hotels. Caucasians NOT Chinese.