Thai abuse social experiment - what would you do?

My Mrs showed me this video, I found the reactions of people (or lack) of was interesting

What would you do if you saw someone being abused in public?

1 in 3 Thai homes will have an issue with domestic abuse in the year 2016

Comes with a positive message at the end

Unrelated but the farang guy in the video also speaks excellent Thai.

If I were in my home country I would get involved and certainly call the police. But having lived here for more than 10 years I know it can be lethal, especially for farangs, to intervene. If I saw a policeman I'd alert him. But to phone in and report this would get very little action, if any. Aside from language issues, I've found that police really don't want to help out or get involved. They certainly understand Thai culture more than I ever will. It's disappointing!

Back at home about 2 weeks ago (in the capitol city about 400 mtrs. from where I lived) a man stepped in between a man and a woman fighting....he got stabbed to death for his trouble.They both turned on him. He was 50 years of age.

Not easy to know what to do....police advise to stay out of it.....

Back at home about 2 weeks ago (in the capitol city about 400 mtrs. from where I lived) a man stepped in between a man and a woman fighting....he got stabbed to death for his trouble.They both turned on him. He was 50 years of age.

Not easy to know what to do....police advise to stay out of it.....

You never know what to do in any situation when someone is being harmed here in Thailand until it happens to you.

I always said that if I came across a road accident I would ride away quickly, in case I got accused of something, but

could I ride away if someone needed help, I doubt it.

Dangerous to get involved in Thailand.

I reckon if I could get a king hit in, and be able to escape, I would try that. Too many Thais around in the jogging scene to try it there though.

I did come across a scene like this once, I was in the safety of my car. I stopped right near them and blasted the horn continuously for about ten seconds. The bloke stopped and they both sort of looked at me confusedly. They were only youngish, about 18-20 years old I reckon. Other Thais then started getting involved, and I drove off.

Violence against women isn't universally frowned upon here like in other countries. Shockingly (to me) common in soap operas, movies, etc.

Keep clear. In Asian culture and many African cultures it is a real no no to interfere in a domestic situation.

They will likely both turn on you.

In Penang many years ago, my g/f was actually abusing me and neighbours called the police.

When they came I asked for a lift to the police station and they agreed, but,

the g/f saw this and spoke to the policemen saying this was a private domestic matter so they just left.

I was scared shitless.....

If I were in my home country I would get involved and certainly call the police. But having lived here for more than 10 years I know it can be lethal, especially for farangs, to intervene. If I saw a policeman I'd alert him. But to phone in and report this would get very little action, if any. Aside from language issues, I've found that police really don't want to help out or get involved. They certainly understand Thai culture more than I ever will. It's disappointing!

You said what I was going to say and beat me to it. In this country, intervene and you`re likely to get a knife in the chest. And as you say, calling the police would be a waste of time. They won`t as the newspapers commonly describe, rush to the scene, unless someone gets killed. If I were with a bunch of mates that would be a different story but being the lone hero is not recommended unless you really know how to handle yourself in those situations.

In my former life as a police officer in the UK I attended many domestic disputes. Broke one up where a couple were attacking each other, they both picked up knives and attacked me, the common enemy . In Thailand, I would advise to leave to the professionals, if only there were any!

I foolishly stepped between a young man (early 20s) and his girl at the point that he threw her to the ground and was kicking her. There were many other young Thai people around (like group of friends). I was very nervous, but I bowed and asked him in Thai not to hit. Then I said Buddha, Buddha, Buddha. It's just what came out in the situation, being very nervous. Funny how the mind works. Well, he did stop kicking.

I learned later that this sort of hitting and abuse often passes for normal and some Thai girls appreciate it as an indication that the boy really "loves her." They were canoodling maybe 1/2 an hour later (I was jogging in the area). I wouldn't do it again.

Last year during Songkran I broke up a fight between my brother in law and his wife. He was litterly beating the hell out of her in the back of a pickup truck. I just grabbed him in a bear hug and walked him away from her until he calmed down. If this wasn't family I would have walked the other direction and would not have got involved.

I knew this was staged going in, but my heart was pumping.

In one form or another, I would intervene.

I have this conversation with all of my non-Thai friends and

almost to a person, they all say they would not get involved.

That's them...that's not me.

I could not walk away and have that shit play over and over

in my mind - no way!

This applies to any form of abuse - human or animal.

Even a medical emergency, where safe, I would get involved.

If that's not you, I totally understand and don't pass much

judgment.

in my mind - no way!

judgment.

At birth, we are all enrolled into the university of life.

Some of us skip many lectures and fail to understand life, the universe and everything,

but others learn everything at an early stage, even taking notes.

However, we all learn at our own pace.

When the Student is ready - the Teacher will appear!

When you're ready, maybe a teacher will appear?

Glad to see that "you don;t pass much judgement!"

As an outsider, always difficult to decide, especially if you are a farang. The announced thread is a real problem, but i doubt, this prank is getting it. Speaking excellent Thai? My pronunciation is for sure much better, but far away from excellent. His videos are more about show than reality. Over the years i have been in many situations involving domestic violence, but if you neither know the persons involved nor do fully understand what it is about, better leave it alone or call the police.

The "farang" in the video is simply trying to get his fat ugly stupid wife to go home. Why she would not want to go home may be a problem of her particular mental state. The video do not show anything else but someone trying to get his wife to go home.

in my mind - no way!

judgment.

Some of us skip many lectures and fail to understand life, the universe and everything,

Glad to see that "you don;t pass much judgement!

At birth...

the teacher will appear...

roses are red and v....

what's your point, Emerson?

Thanks for the Haiku

I think all of us would probably like to step in but as the post above says, sometimes it might not be wise (or safe) to get involved.

My thought is that if the fighting couple were both Thai, if I stepped in they would both turn on me, and then there is a likelihood I would be seen as the problem and other locals would get involved, again focusing on me. In Pattaya one can get a sense many are waiting for such an opportunity.

So first inclination is not to get involved, whether that is what I would do I am unsure as I often react without thought.

in my mind - no way!

judgment.

Glad to see that "you don;t pass much judgement!

At birth...

the teacher will appear...

roses are red and v....

what's your point, Emerson?

Thanks for the Haiku

This is not a traditional haiku. A haiku has three lines with 5, 7 and 5 words in the lines

Not difficult to connect this, with the Tesco video and what I have written elsewhere about violence in Thai life, particularly road rage and domestic violence. It is shrugged off and certainly condoned. Simmering national psychopathy and sociopathy? Does this go on anywhere else to the same degree?

Why get involved anyway?

Maybe Thai culture doesn't hate and persecute men like western culture does. Do any of you even know what the women did before thinking about getting involved or is the man automatically guilty because of "patriarchy"?

Archived