THE England thread

rijit

Why is it obvious that Vardy and Rashford would gel?

It's just grabbing at straws because it's the only combo that hasn't been tried.

England's problem is a bit more basic: lack of guile, mettle, no plan B.

They played together against Wales or weren't you watching? It's pretty clear to me that both of them setup sturridge for the winner.

I thought Vardy and Sturridge were the front pair!

I looked at the video twice, Sturridge to Vardy to Alli to Sturridge.

Rashford looked good mind. I would play him on the flank. They might gel of course, both good players. But as I said I think England's problem is more basic.

"wilshere is about as match-fit as i am. what did he play for arsenal this season, about 3 matches? he was terribly off the pace."

There are plenty of people in Chang vests sitting on a Pattaya barstool that are more "match fit" than Jack Wheelchair!

• Like 2

. vardy was probably the wrong striker to start for this game, he thrives on counter-attacks and isn't really a penalty box striker, he's just not used to playing against deep, packed defences. so should probably have started kane.

Don't agree. Vardy is on form, Kane isn't. It's like comparing a cheetah with an elephant, IMO. To suggest Kane should have started is as bad as hodgsons thinking. Tell me what he's done to deserve his place in any of the matches. He's been woeful.

well, it's explained in the paragraph you quoted soft lad. vardy has spent the season playing in a counter-attacking side and isn't used to playing against deep, packed defences. kane is, and still scored loads of goals last season, and was the best striker in the league. kane was alright against russia in the opening game, albeit with crap service, so hardly "woeful". if your definition of "on form" changes every 45 minutes you'll be chopping and changing your side all over the place.

In truth all the strikers seem a pale shadow. But honestly stevieH, Kane has looked the worst. He has had rotten service, and no chances have fallen to him.

As I said in other postings, this goes beyond a personnel problem.

Why is it obvious that Vardy and Rashford would gel?

It's just grabbing at straws because it's the only combo that hasn't been tried.

England's problem is a bit more basic: lack of guile, mettle, no plan B.

They played together against Wales or weren't you watching? It's pretty clear to me that both of them setup sturridge for the winner.

I thought Vardy and Sturridge were the front pair!

I looked at the video twice, Sturridge to Vardy to Alli to Sturridge.

Rashford looked good mind. I would play him on the flank. They might gel of course, both good players. But as I said I think England's problem is more basic.

yes. he's sat in the dugout and looks like an old lesbian.

clap2.giflaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

The doddery old fart deliberately weakened the team and so finished second in the group.

Failed.

This makes it more difficult.

No disrespects to Wales but is this really the best we can do?

Edited by Eclipse

Top teams go round the side as you said. They also work the diagonals and have periods of dropping back to invite the opposition in to open up sucker-punch counter opportunities. We don't seem to have the skills (except Alli) for the short-game angles and we are not confident enough in our defence to let up possession with a view to opening up counter opportunities.

Wish we had an English version of David Silva or the likes. Last night it was screaming out for someone with the ability to split a defence.

That would be Wayne 'Scholesey' Rooney, apparently. ;-)
Where's all those bloody kids you keep going on about then BB?

Cream of our crop are mainly Spanish. Strange that.

That is probably the most talented collective of players England have had for sometime, and the teams they've played in this tournament are ordinary really. The problem is the FA and their lack of enthusiasm for success, I mean Roy <deleted> Hodgson!

The problem is definitely that everyone has an opinion on what formation to play and who plays where, and Woy seems to be trying to accommodate them all!

biggrin.png

roy's priority is self-preservation. it always has been. so when the inevitable happens and england get knocked out ignominiously on penalties following a drab draw he gets to go home to the FA and say that england were unbeaten, had loads of ball possession and what do you want, he picked all the players that the press and the public demanded, what more could he have done?

• Like 1

The problem is definitely that everyone has an opinion on what formation to play and who plays where, and Woy seems to be trying to accommodate them all!

biggrin.png

It don't always run to plan though does it,, ide say actually the 74 squad had an precocious array of talent that dwarfs todays squad and look what happened to them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

biggrin.png

Or he's just trying to keep and get as many match fit players for later in the tournament, which is sort of sensible.

biggrin.png

Or he's just trying to keep and get as many match fit players for later in the tournament, which is sort of sensible.

not if you don't get there through pissing about with your starting XI it isn't.

• Like 1

biggrin.png

roy's priority is self-preservation. it always has been. so when the inevitable happens and england get knocked out ignominiously on penalties following a drab draw he gets to go home to the FA and say that england were unbeaten, had loads of ball possession and what do you want, he picked all the players that the press and the public demanded, what more could he have done?

Agreed. Can't help feeling that subconsciously he wants to be loved in Liverpool as well Stevie. Watch out for Sturridge, Sterling, Lalana and Henderson to feature large in the next two games before we go homethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

the top half of the draw is bizarrely weak now, wales could in theory play something like norn iron, hungary and croatia to get to the final. england could have to play portugal, france, germany. but hey, "no prizes for topping the group" though eh roy?

• Like 2

the top half of the draw is bizarrely weak now, wales could in theory play something like norn iron, hungary and croatia to get to the final. england could have to play portugal, france, germany. but hey, "no prizes for topping the group" though eh roy?

I think that team selection will cost him his job. It was insane imo. We still had chances which didn't get stuck away, but I really think it disrupted our rythmn. You don't change a winning side; not much anyway.

Hodgson could have taken a reasonable side to the semis. As it stands even if we win the next game, that's as far as we go.

God only knows why he picks someone like Henderson too. And we never, ever learn about selecting unfit stars.

What on earth possessed Hodgson to do that I do not know, but regarding the six changes I sniff a Neville in the background. It was someone's crazy idea for sure.

Edited by mommysboy

Just idling: if there was to be a new manager, which home grown manager could it possibly be? I can only come up with a short list of two, neither really on:

Howe.

Southgate.

don howe died in december mate.

it'll be allardyce won't it? i certainly hope so.

• Like 1

Well who won their group and gets to play Spain?

• Like 1