Anyone can comment 3BB VDSL Internet?

gessi2000

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I do get good test results at random, out of the blue.

Yesterday I got 23 down and 3 up to a server in Switzerland, I couldn't believe my eyes, I thought 3BB had done what they hinted at on the phone and taken off my intl. bandwidth limit.

So I re-tested, and meh... 7 down and 1.8 up... :-/

Yesterday I got 23 down and 3 up to a server in Switzerland, I couldn't believe my eyes, I thought 3BB had done what they hinted at on the phone and taken off my intl. bandwidth limit.

Don't worry so much about the speedtest.. Does your internet work OK. If yes. Good!

Don't worry so much about the speedtest.. Does your internet work OK. If yes. Good!

you have no idea about what I want to do and what the necessary bandwidth is.

for example, do you think with my bandwidth I can have a 2-way video call at 640x480 and 25 fps (which is basic video quality nowadays)?

Edited by manarak

you have no idea about what I want to do and what the necessary bandwidth is.

for example, do you think with my bandwidth I can have a 2-way video call at 640x480 and 25 fps (which is basic video quality nowadays)?

if we talking a Skype style call then YES off course you can. I regularly had video skype calls back to the UK.

1.8 Mbit/s up is good enough for a basic video.

Video chat generally does not fit good for asymmetric lines.

Expectation would be that you have a high quality video from UK and they have a somewhat basic video of you.

(assuming in UK they get a better upload rate to Thailand than you in the other direction).

There is always the chance to switch off video per participant after some introduction.

In a way: quality of video chats depends on upload rates on either site.

HIgh download rates can not compensate.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1.8 Mbit/s up is good enough for a basic video.

Video chat generally does not fit good for asymmetric lines.

Expectation would be that you have a high quality video from UK and they have a somewhat basic video of you.

(assuming in UK they get a better upload rate to Thailand than you in the other direction).

There is always the chance to switch off video per participant after some introduction.

In a way: quality of video chats depends on upload rates on either site.

HIgh download rates can not compensate.

1.8 mbit is indeed just the necessary bandwidth when h264 is used as compression method.

Do note that I am paying 900-ish for a 3BB VDSL 30 Down 5 up connection.

Good price/performance relation thumbsup.gif

For comparision, ToT fibre, 30 / 3:

No significant difference except that my upload rate is throttled near the subscribed rate.

post-99794-0-56030900-1460947549_thumb.j

The webdesigner of this graphics must be color blind and wearing very strong glasses biggrin.png

(close to unreadable, awful, I have resized it)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Do note that I am paying 900-ish for a 3BB VDSL 30 Down 5 up connection.

Good price/performance relation thumbsup.gif

For comparision, ToT fibre, 30 / 3:

No significant difference except that my upload rate is throttled near the subscribed rate.

attachicon.giftestmy.jpg

The webdesigner of this graphics must be color blind and wearing very strong glasses biggrin.png

(close to unreadable, awful, I have resized it)

You are very lucky to get that speed on TOT.

Here's my office TOT Fibre Internet speed test to the same Singapore Server again.

vgYDFcUWH.cxX64Vujd.png

Note that the office is on the 45/20 @ 1950 per month.

Whats your location?

Mine is "village in the sticks" (western part of Khon Kaen province).

Probably the only ToT fibre customer in miles around.

My house is located at Samut Prakarn Province. Right next to the airport (Though no direct access to it.. Blame bureaucracy)

Office is along suan Luang.

From what I read here, indeed ToT does not handle the volume in densely populated areas.

So I also do not dispute the many complaints about ToT in Pattaya for instance.

Plus the fact that their technician are the brightest spark..

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys,

here is an updated after I upgraded today from ADSL (18/1.8Mbs) to VDSL2 (50/10Mb):

• firstly the new Huawei VDSL router is much better than the previous ADSL router (also Huawei) but I decided to immediately replace it with a AVM FritzBox! 7490 International Version (supports Annex-A)
  • Some Specs for the Huawei router (I think it fits most people or standard users):
    • NT3BB - 4PVWN - 142 | Huawei: HG630 v2
    • cost: 1.500,-- THB
    • 4x100Mb/s LAN ports
    • 1xUSB 2.0 port (Disk and printer sharing capabilities)
    • WLAN/Wifi 2.4GHz, 802.11b/g/n with 300Mbps
    • quite a lot of advanced settings supported for this price
    • default admin password: last 4-digits of the MAC address (check label on the back of the router)
  • AVM FritzBox! 7490 - International Edition

DSL overview in View Talay 5C on Thappraya Road, Jomtien Beach, Pattaya:

post-17804-0-58031900-1463479136_thumb.p

Local Speedtest - Nice!!! thumbsup.gif :

5331623823.png

International Speedtest (Germany, Munich and Frankfurt area server) - Sucks!!! annoyed.gif :

5331632918.png

5331638265.png

Conclusion: If you need more international speed changing from/to VDSL doesn't make any sense at all. Just local (Thailand) Internet speeds get increased.

It is even MUCH slower than my ADSL line before (around 8Mb/s down) - What a f***

6 mbits from europe is bad? It is single connection. If you download something with 10 parts, you'll get 50mbits.

For streaming TV or 1080p skype, 6mbit is perfectly adequate.

Can you repeat these tests after you connect to a singapore vpn?

6 mbits from europe is bad? It is single connection. If you download something with 10 parts, you'll get 50mbits.

It's not really stable. I stream from my STB (Satelitte Settopbox) from Germany in 480p, 1Mb/s quality which is minimum good quality on my 50" inch TV and connection still breaks...

Testing for Singapore doesn't really help as I can't move my Settop Box from Germany to Singapore and I tested IPTV providers as well with also limited availability. For U.S. and UK guys there are more options like IlikeHDTV but the German section there is not really good and some channels don't either work or have no audio.

I like using my whole set of satellite channels I have at home and stream those through Emby Media server (or even native with transcoding from the STB) to Thailand.... STB runs on Enigma2 of course...

So I need a stable and fast connection from Thailand to Germany (and I tested VPN providers as well).

Ok guys,

here is an updated after I upgraded today from ADSL (18/1.8Mbs) to VDSL2 (50/10Mb):

Conclusion: If you need more international speed changing from/to VDSL doesn't make any sense at all. Just local (Thailand) Internet speeds get increased.

It is even MUCH slower than my ADSL line before (around 8Mb/s down) - What a f***

I see 3BB has changed their advertising in their main Chumphon office to 100% VDSL. And I saw some 3bb tent at the local market passing out the word.

I'm trying to see if the VDSL is worth it. 1500 for the modem and the same price level. I would get a 2Mbps increase in download and 2.2Mbps increase in upload for the 20/4 package. But if the actual VDSL service sucks in practice, I might just stick with ADSL for now. I'm in no rush to switch.

I need to access some servers in London and New York regularly. It works well so far....don't want to mess up a good thing.

Ok guys,

I see 3BB has changed their advertising in their main Chumphon office to 100% VDSL. And I saw some 3bb tent at the local market passing out the word.

I'm trying to see if the VDSL is worth it. 1500 for the modem and the same price level. I would get a 2Mbps increase in download and 2.2Mbps increase in upload for the 20/4 package. But if the actual VDSL service sucks in practice, I might just stick with ADSL for now. I'm in no rush to switch.

I need to access some servers in London and New York regularly. It works well so far....don't want to mess up a good thing.

stick with what works!

It's not really stable. I stream from my STB (Satelitte Settopbox) from Germany in 480p, 1Mb/s quality which is minimum good quality on my 50" inch TV and connection still breaks...

Testing for Singapore doesn't really help as I can't move my Settop Box from Germany to Singapore and I tested IPTV providers as well with also limited availability. For U.S. and UK guys there are more options like IlikeHDTV but the German section there is not really good and some channels don't either work or have no audio.

I like using my whole set of satellite channels I have at home and stream those through Emby Media server (or even native with transcoding from the STB) to Thailand.... STB runs on Enigma2 of course...

So I need a stable and fast connection from Thailand to Germany (and I tested VPN providers as well).

A vpn on singapore could increase your min. streaming speeds against US/Europe due to lack of throttling or less throttling against Singapore locations (very close to Thailand)

Can you give more details what kind of iptv solution you're using? Does it auto-adjust bitrate / resolution?

it's bad *compared* to the 10 to 11 Mbits I had before the new plans.

Were you streaming 4K UltraHD video from Europe server with 10Mbits before?

3BB still better than other ISPs in terms of pricing and network connections and speed.

Were you streaming 4K UltraHD video from Europe server with 10Mbits before?

3BB still better than other ISPs in terms of pricing and network connections and speed.

what I do is not your business and unused bandwidth is especially not a valid excuse for downgrading service.

that being said, my work involves transferring large chunks of data in both ways.

and 4k Ultra HD probably requires around 40 Mbit bandwidth

Edited by manarak

• 2 weeks later...

I got 3BB VDSL 50/10, great speed for domestic Thailand internet actual getting 50mb down / 10mb up.

Sucks for international to UK only getting 0.25mb down, so cannot stream the free IPTV stuff to my andriod box.

My paid IPTV is thailand based so it works fine, www.ilikehd.com, I get HBO, FOX, SKY, Sports, Formula1 all for 450 baht per month, and re-runs are available. It also has channels for different countries.

Will look at the various VPNs next to see if any of those will bump up the download speed to UK so I can get the free IPTV working on my andriod box.

Edited by ArranP

UPDATE

3BB service degraded further for me.

Speedtests inside Thailand still show 33 down and 5 up, but international bandwidth has worsened to about 5 down and 1.5 up, measured now.

That was the last time I trusted 3BB's service, I'll get out of there ASAP.

Edited by manarak