Police carry out raids on bars throughout Pattaya

webfact

Police carry out raids on bars throughout Pattaya
Thaivisa Reporters

pat3.jpg

PATTAYA:-- A nighttime swoop was made by police following complaints of underage drinking at five establishments in South Pattaya and one on Pattaya 3 road, reports Thaivisa News.

Concerns had been registered with local authorities that the entertainment venues had ignored earlier requests to stop serving under age drinkers.

Venues were shut pending further notice and one owner was taken in for questioning.

Police joined with village elders and other concerned parties in mounting the raid in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Seven people were arrested as police found laws being flouted.

Establishments were serving minors, allowing minors entry and opening after permitted hours. Some twenty litres of Ya Dong, 50 shisha pipes and 4 kilos of shisha tobacco were also seized. These are all illegal for sale and use in entertainment venues.

At the Chor Ching Tee Dang entertainment venue on Pattaya 3 five workers were found to be underage along with some guests who had no ID. The owner, Suwannapa Silapachiwin, 46, was taken into Pattaya police station for questioning.

The venue had been found to still be operating and in full swing at 5am.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-30

" Police joined with village elders '"

Village elder conducting raids with the police? what village, where village, maybe more like the village people

type of people that you can see on every corner in Pattaya......

Village elder conducting raids with the police? what village, where village, maybe more like the village people

Kind of strange translation I guess.

It's the guy in the khaki colored uniform.

Likely a senior from Banglamung district office.

Don't know the correct translation though.

I myself witnessed bar "raids" (checks) by Banglamung district officers some years ago.

I think you will find that Pattaya contains within its boundaries numerous "Ban" (village) that have been absorbed into the spreading city. This is common throughout Thailands metropolitan areas.

Each Ban retains its boundary and something, if not all, of its social structure including, of course, an elder (Pu yai ban)

I assume their presence during the operation would be to provide authority and mediation, as well as indicating the respect the police have for their status.

Several areas, several Ban, several elders.

Observation leads me to this conclusion, I can provide no sources, no doubt someone will correct and admonish me if I am wrong.

Edited by Enoon

I think you will find that Pattaya contains within its boundaries numerous "Ban" (village) that have been absorbed into the spreading city. This is common throughout Thailands metropolitan areas.

Each Ban retains its boundary and something, if not all, of its social structure including, of course, an elder (Pu yai ban)

I assume their presence during the operation would be to provide authority and mediation, as well as indicating the respect the police have for their status.

Several areas, several Ban, several elders.

Observation leads me to this conclusion, I can provide no sources, no doubt someone will correct and admonish me if I am wrong.

I want to believe you so that i can continue having an overdue laugh!!w00t.gif

Looking for 'bad farang' and shisha tobacco smokers to arrest. High priority.

Looking for man-slaughtering, HiSo Mercedes drivers. Low priority.

Thailand = A country with seriously mixed priorities. <priceless>

Edited by connda

That merc fella... why are looking for him, has he done a runner ?

Shoot me down for my higorance but what the ... is shisha ?

Flavoured melasses that is smoked through a pipe(shisha) like the one on the floor in the OP picture

Ah ! Ok, thanks. Was popular in a few places in Bali years back. Not sure what makes it illegal apart from the similarity of the device for imbibing other banned substances.

I read that it was primarily an effort to stop venues serving underaged patrons alcohol and probably at the request of general local community who are demonstrating proactive concern. If farang were there were unlikely to be concerned in the purpose of these raids.

The ones in their sleeping attire yawning after being kept awake.

Is i really so hard to hire a doorman to check ID cards to determine if the patron is of legal age? Every Thai has a National ID card and foreigners have Passports or other ID.

Yes, extremely difficult to check ID card for proof of age.

If it were easy,

7-11 would check ID for proof of age re selling alcohol to under aged. Then we wouldn't have this crazy no alcohol between 2 & 5. The 2/5 alcohol restriction doesn't bother me really, BUT, bit of a pest when dining in a restaurant & not able to order a beer or wine.

Cheers..... Mal.

I must admit I do not have a problem with the Police doing their jobs in trying to stop underage drinking.

As to closing times the party cities should get some leniency.

I would have thought the cops would be happy having folks in a controlled environment rather than wandering around the

streets, leaving pis & faeces all over the place along with unlicensed liquor vendors selling that liver killing red liquor at 30bht a shot

I stayed in a Hotel that was close to one of those bars that stay open

into the morning hours. It was not a great part of my vacation, so I am

glad to read about the police raiding some of these bars. Thanks!

Geezer

There is this wonderful thin]g called GOOGLE MAPS and GOOGLE places and it is linked to another great thing called TRAVEL SITES and BOOKING SITEs

So you can click on a map and look where you will stay.

then you can avoid listening to others having fun where you might stay and choose another location.

Sure I don't want noise at 5am near me but If i am going on holidays I DO SOME RESEARCH and that can mean ASKING for help if you are not sure.

And on this VERY SITE there are LOADS of helpful people. Don't be afraid. :)

Geezer

There is this wonderful thin]g called GOOGLE MAPS and GOOGLE places and it is linked to another great thing called TRAVEL SITES and BOOKING SITEs

then you can avoid listening to others having fun where you might stay and choose another location.

Sure I don't want noise at 5am near me but If i am going on holidays I DO SOME RESEARCH and that can mean ASKING for help if you are not sure.

And on this VERY SITE there are LOADS of helpful people. Don't be afraid. :)

You forget to tell that you can only make your point writing in capital letters.

Geezer

And on this VERY SITE there are LOADS of helpful people. Don't be afraid. smile.png

You forget to tell that you can only make your point writing in capital letters.

The problem is people who travel to Thailand on holiday do not expect, nor should they expect to have troubles, with an Arab Shisha bar blasting out Arab music at top volume all night and stinking of shisha. However, I am old and not PC so I always check that I will not suffer from what the PC brigade call 'diversity'. Though in Thai I speak more directly to hotel and condo managers.