Some Phuket residents now affected by drought

webfact

Some Phuket residents now affected by drought
Suthicha Sirirat

1459399820_1-org.jpg
The reservoir next to Suang Luang Park that Deputy Phuket City Mayor Thaworn Jiraphatsophon says have 'nearly' dried up. Photo: Matt Pond

PHUKET: -- Some residents in and around Phuket Town are now starting to feel the effects of the island’s drought as the two water resources beside Suan Luang Park are now completely dried out.

However, officials believe that 70 per cent of residents in the area will remain unaffected by water shortages and will survive until the rainy season.

Phuket City Deputy Mayor Thaworn Jiraphatsophon told The Phuket News yesterday (Mar 30) that the majority of people supplied by Phuket Municipality will suffer no water shortages and will get through the dry period.

The amount of water Phuket City supplies to its 20,000 consumers is about 30,000 cubic metres per day, he added.

Deputy Mayor Thaworn explained; “Some areas will now suffer low water pressure or have no water at all. Areas include Moo Baan Chao Fa and around Suan Luang and this is because the reservoir at Suan Luang is ‘nearly’ dried up.

"Other areas affected due to the lack of water in the reservoir are Bangkok, Phoonphol and Sakdidet roads, which often have no water at all,” he said.

“Normally Phuket City Municipality buys additional water from Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) to supply Sakdidet Rd, however, at this time of year, PWA wants to reserve as much of its water as possible, so Sakdidet is one area facing problems,” he added.

Deputy Mayor Thaworn also said that another area that suffers water shortages is Khao Rang Mae Luan Rd.

“We are currently trying to solve the problem in this area by using water supplied from the Phuket City area. But we are not sure if the water supply from the city will have enough pressure to go up the hill. If the pressure is too weak then we will probably supply water by fire trucks,” he said.

“Areas outside of municipality territory such as Moo Baan Chao Fa are getting help from Wichit Municipality and we are also helping to bring in water to the area.”

Deputy Mayor Thaworn explained that Phuket City Municipality has two reservoirs – Sam Kong and Suan Luang – but that other reservoirs in the area belong to private companies, including Anuphas.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/some-phuket-residents-now-affected-by-drought-56847.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-31

The problem i think is that they dont realise that all these reservoirs have small houses next to them that pumps water to water truck used by hotels.. The one supplying my area is nearly empty because of those trucks (12hrs a day non stop) mostly from panwa hotels.. no idea why they come so far for water. You can't calculate the reserves without taking count those waterpumps/trucks

right now no water except what i have in my tank, phuket town.

hopefully police captain gets angry he cant water his banana tree and we'll get a private pipeline going.

It doesn't quite work that way.

A lake is not like a bath-tub, with a fixed amount of water in it.

A lake is just a place where the water-table is exposed. Disregarding evaporation, the lake can be emptied by drawing water from the water table all around the lake.

Obversely, you can keep drawing water from a lake and the water level will not go down if the water-table doesn't go down.

Pucket is in a crisis situation. All the utilities are maxed out. Water, sewer, trash, are past the breaking point. We're at an environmental crisis. They've already destoyed Phi Phi. Good luck swming at Patong Beach. Mountains of trash and no where to put it. And if the rains are late...stockpile deodorant.

What drives me crazy is that they continue to build at an unbelievable rate. I love in Kamala and there are thousands of units under construction here alone!

No one gives a shit.

I think too mush.

In the Hua Kwan part of Kamala we've had no Orbortor water for 2 months.

Now our water tanker man tells us he will run out soon.

No rain for the tank.

What to do?

We have the same problem here in Patong. No piped water for at least 4 months. Tanked in water will soon not be available.

We have no idea what to do for our guests ...

In the Hua Kwan part of Kamala we've had no Orbortor water for 2 months.

Now our water tanker man tells us he will run out soon.

No rain for the tank.

What to do?

We have the same problem here in Patong. No piped water for at least 4 months. Tanked in water will soon not be available.

We have no idea what to do for our guests ...

You can tell that whatever source the tankers in Patong are using is getting low - the water we've had delivered the last two times has been filthy.

Strange. Usually in a drought year like this, my well water is down to one metre (or less) and 50% of my water comes from a narrow bore.

Yet, the well water is still sitting at 2.5 metres and haven't used any water from the narrow bore. Really don't understand what is going on with the water table this year.

Strange. Usually in a drought year like this, my well water is down to one metre (or less) and 50% of my water comes from a narrow bore.

Yet, the well water is still sitting at 2.5 metres and haven't used any water from the narrow bore. Really don't understand what is going on with the water table this year.

Yes it seems to me that this article is sensationalizing a dry pond that is perhaps due to water trucks tapping it.

I say this because I've been over at Bang Wad dam, which is often very low this time of year.

Yet it is nearly full.

As are many of the lakes that are remnants of the tin mining days around the island.

The water table appears to be up the way I see it.

Especially compared to the last few years.

Media trying to get everyone scared IMO.

so why is my area without water for 3 days now if its only the media?

Every politician/"important" thai lives in the area and they are without water.

Phuket town? That seems to be affected.

Yes it seems to me that this article is sensationalizing a dry pond that is perhaps due to water trucks tapping it.

I say this because I've been over at Bang Wad dam, which is often very low this time of year.

Yet it is nearly full.

As are many of the lakes that are remnants of the tin mining days around the island.

The water table appears to be up the way I see it.

Especially compared to the last few years.

Media trying to get everyone scared IMO.

Rubbish. You are being naive.

Many areas on the island of Phuket get no water supply from Bang Wad dam.

Every ex tin mine water hole around this area is down to mud due to pumping - mostly for Patong hotels..

Edited by Evilbaz