Govt's graft busting body seeks clarification from Thonglor police over Red Bull heir's case

webfact

Has to be said, the aforementioned police station is bent as a nine bob note.

I was there when a cop actually complained to my wife about having to do some work (adjudicate a minor car scrape) and that he wasn't getting a backhander for it.

My wifes' reply was "well maybe it's about time you did something for Thailand instead of just doing stuff for yourself". Go girl.

Well said. This is the same lot that were pee-testing tourists on the pavement & extorting money for 'failed' test. BIB excel at only one thing; tarnishing Thailand's image around the World: Koh Tao murders; Bridge club raids. They're crap at investigating real crimes; even enforcing traffic laws is beyond them.

I was there when a cop actually complained to my wife about having to do some work (adjudicate a minor car scrape) and that he wasn't getting a backhander for it.

My wifes' reply was "well maybe it's about time you did something for Thailand instead of just doing stuff for yourself". Go girl.

Well said. This is the same lot that were pee-testing tourists on the pavement & extorting money for 'failed' test. BIB excel at only one thing; tarnishing Thailand's image around the World: Koh Tao murders; Bridge club raids. They're crap at investigating real crimes; even enforcing traffic laws is beyond them.

To be fair, the bridge players were harassed by the local authority head man and his private army, not the police, per se. As is usual, there are pockets of corrupt cops (as in the Koh Tao case), and at the same time there are law abiding ones (usually the lower ranking officers away from the big cities). To tarnish them all with the same brush is harsh.

To be fair, the bridge players were harassed by the local authority head man and his private army, not the police, per se. As is usual, there are pockets of corrupt cops (as in the Koh Tao case), and at the same time there are law abiding ones (usually the lower ranking officers away from the big cities). To tarnish them all with the same brush is harsh.

I don't agree - there are not 'pockets' of corrupt police - the whole force is corrupt.

What happens is that poor people can get jobs as cops and in that case, often don't get a share of the corrupt revenues. To get ANY senior job you need to be connected. These are the jobs that benefit from corruption. A poor cop cannot rise through the ranks because the upper positions are brokered.

So no - there are no pockets of police that are not corrupt. All you have sees is some honest low level cops that are from poor families. Above him there are corrupt senior level cops on the take in that area.

I don't agree - there are not 'pockets' of corrupt police - the whole force is corrupt.

What happens is that poor people can get jobs as cops and in that case, often don't get a share of the corrupt revenues. To get ANY senior job you need to be connected. These are the jobs that benefit from corruption. A poor cop cannot rise through the ranks because the upper positions are brokered.

So no - there are no pockets of police that are not corrupt. All you have sees is some honest low level cops that are from poor families. Above him there are corrupt senior level cops on the take in that area.

While I agree that the RTP is cursed with corruption, it is a far cry from asserting that the whole force is corrupt (and especially when asserted by an 'outsider').

For example, this police commander was taken off the Koh Tao case when he got too close to the influential family- was he corrupt? On balance, I think not.

The police investigation into the murder of two British backpackers on Koh Tao, off the coast of Surat Thani, is 85 per cent complete, a police commander said yesterday.

Everybody who was in a 600-metre radius of the murder scene between 2am and 4am on September 15 is a suspect, said Pol Lt-General Panya Mamen, chief of the Police Region 8 command. The resort island comes under his jurisdiction.

The establishment has decided to throw young 'Boss' to the wolves to keep the great unwashed from getting too restless. Or if not to the wolves at least to a court appearance, token sentence and general opprobrium.

a promise of a month or two in a temple sometime in the future should be enough

While I agree that the RTP is cursed with corruption, it is a far cry from asserting that the whole force is corrupt (and especially when asserted by an 'outsider').

For example, this police commander was taken off the Koh Tao case when he got too close to the influential family- was he corrupt? On balance, I think not.

The police investigation into the murder of two British backpackers on Koh Tao, off the coast of Surat Thani, is 85 per cent complete, a police commander said yesterday.

Everybody who was in a 600-metre radius of the murder scene between 2am and 4am on September 15 is a suspect, said Pol Lt-General Panya Mamen, chief of the Police Region 8 command. The resort island comes under his jurisdiction.

You are wrong.

The entire force is corrupt.

The fact that a cop got moved is not proof of honesty within the force.

It is just reputation management.

The supreme junta has the power and authority implement swift justice. The wealthy are untouchable. They pay for their own justice.

"So, let it be written"

"So, let it be done"

Nice, but this accident happened when the PTP was firmly in power and now that the junta is in power you see that it gets some attention.

You are wrong.

The entire force is corrupt.

The fact that a cop got moved is not proof of honesty within the force.

It is just reputation management.

Correct. The ones that start to develop "moral issues" are a threat to all the others, the system cannot be endangered.

If i remember correctly, a "moral" one went into exile in Australia a while ago, in fear for his safety.

Edited by lkv

The supreme junta has the power and authority implement swift justice. The wealthy are untouchable. They pay for their own justice.

"So, let it be written"

"So, let it be done"

Nice, but this accident happened when the PTP was firmly in power and now that the junta is in power you see that it gets some attention.

No, the only reason it has any attention now is because of the other high profile case currently 'under investigation' brought it back to light.

"So, let it be written"

"So, let it be done"

No, the only reason it has any attention now is because of the other high profile case currently 'under investigation' brought it back to light.

The fact is that the other poster is making this political... while it is not. But the fact is now it gets attention and the junta is in power. Your speculation might be right or might be wrong but you cant prove it either way.

This has nothing to do with politics, just with the rich (whatever affiliation they have) bribing corrupt cops.

"So, let it be written"

"So, let it be done"

The fact is that the other poster is making this political... while it is not. But the fact is now it gets attention and the junta is in power. Your speculation might be right or might be wrong but you cant prove it either way.

This has nothing to do with politics, just with the rich (whatever affiliation they have) bribing corrupt cops.

It seemed you are the one who brought a political party into it, not the poster you responded to.

Yeah sure Rob, i have no evidence, but i am sure that if it wasn't for the other Mercedes crash they would be investigating it already, purely coincidence after 2 years they happen one after the other......

I have some beautiful beach front land for sale if you are interested.....

It seemed you are the one who brought a political party into it, not the poster you responded to.

Yeah sure Rob, i have no evidence, but i am sure that if it wasn't for the other Mercedes crash they would be investigating it already, purely coincidence after 2 years they happen one after the other......

I have some beautiful beach front land for sale if you are interested.....

No the poster brought it into it by linking this to the junta.. while its linked to all of them. If you can't see how he did then your more then a bit bias.

I give you this.. the explanation you give is plausible, i was not saying that the junta was better or worse in this case about the injustice. My point is they were treating it all the same.. its not political. So why link it to the junta while it happened under the PTP who did just as much about it.

Ahhh Thonglor Police - what a fine example of Thai efficiency and dedication, a bastion of Thainess at its very best....