Spanish tourist arrivals on the up

rooster59

Spanish tourist arrivals on the up

Kongleahy Keam

post-247607-0-76368000-1459605580_thumb.

Phuket is still popular with 'quality' European tourists but the TAT wants them to stay longer and spend more in the province. Photo: TAT

PHUKET: The number of Spanish tourists visiting Thailand has risen by almost 30 per cent this year while the number of Russian tourists continues to rapidly decline, according to the latest figures released by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Despite a drop in the overall number of European visitors to Thailand by about nine per cent, there was a 28 per cent rise in the number of tourists from the Iberian Peninsula this year. However, Russian tourist numbers dropped by a dramatic 45 per cent.

“About 5.5 million European tourists visited Thailand in 2015, which is nine per cent lower than last year. Overall tourism revenue was 406,214 million baht, which is a three per cent decrease compared to last year,” said Tanes Petsuwan, TAT Executive Director for Europe, Africa and Middle East.

Although the exact figures for Phuket have yet to be released, officials estimated that the decline in Europeans visiting the province was not significant.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Spanish-tourist-arrivals-the-up/63599?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-02

The Thais are masters of this tourist game. They just keep bouncing back. Nothing can stop thailands popularity, tsunamis, birdflus, SARS, terrorist attacks, military coups, nothing. Russian tourists drop off, they are instantly replaced with millions more Chinese.

Right in the middle of China and India with half the worlds population with an increasing middle class, and the only way is up.

They can cater for all types and nationalities. Everyone loves Thailand.

Very clever people these Thais.

I wouldn't say bouncing back. The tourist cycle ebbs in the off season and peaks in the on season, but always continues to rise in the longer term.

As you say it uncharacteristically went down around the time of the coup, but it was on the pre side of the coup. Post coup when stability and safety were regained tourist numbers did bounce back and in fact have reached record numbers.

Just shows the resilience of the Thai tourist sector in that instance and the lovely locations that Thailand has to offer for the people coming to visit.

post-140765-0-25014800-1459638371_thumb.

I'm puzzled. There are no direct flights between Spain and Thailand as far as I am aware, since THAI abandoned the route last year. That hardly encourages Spaniards to visit a country that is in many ways more expensive than Spain. Spain also has it's own excellent beaches and superior infrastructure. Maybe just more hot air from TAT.

I had a group of eight Spaniards in this week. Must account for 1% of the increase!

Surprised at the Russian figures as Karon/Kata seems to be full of them.

Did the Spanish economy improve since last time I looked?? Seems the unemployment rate was north of 20%. Maybe TAT was playing that old success game pick a country and pin an increase on it. You know like pin a tail on the donkey. Dear TAT we are not all wearing blindfolds out here.

Edited by elgordo38

'Una paloma blanca.yeah as i remember it was Johnathan King that sang that.I wonder what happened to him? Oh yeah,i remember.whistling.gif

As I remember Jonathan King, and everyone else (presumably including Russian and Spanish tourists) have gone to the Moon.

i have noticed a lot of spanish speakers in bkk over the last six months. my spanish isnt good enough to know if they are from spain or the americas, either way they tend to be nice laid back folk. welcome.

If they speak with a lisp they speak Castilian/ castellano and are from Spain. If not they speak Spanish

and are most likely from the Americas. whistling.gif

I'm puzzled. There are no direct flights between Spain and Thailand as far as I am aware, since THAI abandoned the route last year. That hardly encourages Spaniards to visit a country that is in many ways more expensive than Spain. Spain also has it's own excellent beaches and superior infrastructure. Maybe just more hot air from TAT.

Most people look for cheap flights not necessarily direct flights. For the last four years I've flown via the hub of whichever airline was offering the best deal.

Also: If the Spanish are arriving as part of a package holiday it's likely that they are on charter flights, which can be direct without being part of a scheduled service.

I had a group of eight Spaniards in this week. Must account for 1% of the increase!

Did the Spanish economy improve since last time I looked?? Seems the unemployment rate was north of 20%. Maybe TAT was playing that old success game pick a country and pin an increase on it. You know like pin a tail on the donkey. Dear TAT we are not all wearing blindfolds out here.

If you are better informed than TAT and have access to verifiable data which is unknown to TAT WHY not share your knowledge?

Why make an idiotic "donkey" comment ?

If you are better informed than TAT and have access to verifiable data which is unknown to TAT WHY not share your knowledge?

I didn't think it was an idiotic comment. The Spanish economy and the state of the unemployment was the first thing that I thought of when I read the OP. I expect more economic migrants all over the world. Expect even more tightening of the rules here in Thailand! facepalm.gif

I didn't think it was an idiotic comment. The Spanish economy and the state of the unemployment was the first thing that I thought of when I read the OP. I expect more economic migrants all over the world. Expect even more tightening of the rules here in Thailand! facepalm.gif

How do you know the Spanish tourists are unemployed?

Oh wait, you assume that because 20% of the Spanish population are unemployed that the other 80% aren't taking advantage of cheap air fares and an expansion of the package holiday market.

Thailand is in the business of attracting tourist money, so it stands to reason they are looking for new avenues, and has as already been noted, changing trends in visitors has seen increased numbers of Russians, then Chinese.

I'm not complaining, my airfare to Thailand is getting lower rather than increasing in line with inflation.

Judging by the construction on the hillside of Kata Noi, it's reasonably recent.

I'm shocked! facepalm.gif I thought they still used the 1990's stock photos for news articles. Mea Culpa

It was taken July 26 2007

It was taken July 26 2007

Your precise estimate of the date is amazing. Did you take the photo?

I did not take the photo. I did a image search and was able to trace it back to the original photographer.

@ThaiKneeTim,

I didn't assume anything. I only pointed out that I didn't think elgordo38 made an idiotic comment. I also didn't say I know that the Spanish tourists are unemployed. Funny though that Spanish numbers have RISEN 30%, while the number of European tourists has dropped by 9%. Youth unemployment rate in Spain is expected to be 45.40 percent by the end of this quarter and you don't think this will affect the "family unit"?

Maybe there are people who have money but see the writing on the wall and are looking for other places in the world where they can make a better living, who knows. I just find these numbers odd.

Glad you're getting a cheaper airfare to Thailand - how's the exchange rate working for you? Hope what you save on the airfare is enough to cover the increasing costs while you're here thumbsup.gif

@ThaiKneeTim,

I didn't assume anything. I only pointed out that I didn't think elgordo38 made an idiotic comment. I also didn't say I know that the Spanish tourists are unemployed. Funny though that Spanish numbers have RISEN 30%, while the number of European tourists has dropped by 9%. Youth unemployment rate in Spain is expected to be 45.40 percent by the end of this quarter and you don't think this will affect the "family unit"?

Maybe there are people who have money but see the writing on the wall and are [bold]looking for other places in the world where they can make a better living[/bold], who knows. I just find these numbers odd.

Glad you're getting a cheaper airfare to Thailand - how's the exchange rate working for you? Hope what you save on the airfare is enough to cover the increasing costs while you're here thumbsup.gif

Make a better living? (See bold text above) Tourists aren't allowed to take gainful employment! Aren't we talking about tourists here?

My earnings still go a lot further in Thailand than they would anywhere in Europe, especially since I avoid the tourist spots.

Yes the exchange rate hasn't helped, but I can still live a Lord here in Central Isaan compared to back home!

It seems that our inexpensive little secret in SEA is no secret anymore!

@ThaiKneeTim,

Maybe there are people who have money but see the writing on the wall and are [bold]looking for other places in the world where they can make a better living[/bold], who knows. I just find these numbers odd.

Make a better living? (See bold text above) Tourists aren't allowed to take gainful employment! Aren't we talking about tourists here?

My earnings still go a lot further in Thailand than they would anywhere in Europe, especially since I avoid the tourist spots.

Yes the exchange rate hasn't helped, but I can still live a Lord here in Central Isaan compared to back home!

It seems that our inexpensive little secret in SEA is no secret anymore!

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I came as a tourist and ended up making a business here and living here, you don't need to tell me what we're allowed to do and what we're not. Without more details on the high Spanish numbers this year I can only make a guess as to why I think they have risen.

"Live like a Lord in Central Isaan - cheesy.gif , sorry but I can't quite get my head round that one.wai.gif

If you cant get some French and Greek is out of the question, some Spanish is always a good option.

The Spaniards are probably fleeing from the hordes of British tourists that are descending onto Spain.