Is it a problem to have 400 000฿ split in two bank accounts?

This gets very confusing am I right in thinking based on marriage to a Thai it is only 400,000 in the bank for two months but a farang married to a farang has to have 800,000 and it has to be for 3 months please correct me if I am wrong as this year rather than going down the embassy road like I have done every year , I have just placed 1 million baht into a savings account but this will only be a week over two months and as my wife is farang I am thinking that they will insist on a 3 month time scale even though I will be showing some 400,000 in my every day account. This is the time of year I hate because you never know what they are going to try and catch you on !! on a good point I do hear that the Birdman at Samui immigration has retired , not having to face him anymore is a blessing !!!!!!

You will need the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension based upon retirement.

This gets very confusing am I right in thinking based on marriage to a Thai it is only 400,000 in the bank for two months but a farang married to a farang has to have 800,000 and it has to be for 3 months please correct me if I am wrong as this year rather than going down the embassy road like I have done every year , I have just placed 1 million baht into a savings account but this will only be a week over two months and as my wife is farang I am thinking that they will insist on a 3 month time scale even though I will be showing some 400,000 in my every day account. This is the time of year I hate because you never know what they are going to try and catch you on !! on a good point I do hear that the Birdman at Samui immigration has retired , not having to face him anymore is a blessing !!!!!!

Dunno for real but l thought farangies in Thailand who are married and over 50year have to show 800,000 bath each unless you got you extensions 6 months apart say or earnings of 2 lots of 65,000 per month each.

Dunno for real but l thought farangies in Thailand who are married and over 50year have to show 800,000 bath each unless you got you extensions 6 months apart say or earnings of 2 lots of 65,000 per month each.

Only one has to show 800,000 Baht and the other applies as a dependant.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

The financial proof is only needed for both of them if both are applying for an extension based upon retirement. Only one of them needs to show the financial proof and the other can get an extension as their dependent with mo financial proof.

• Like 1

Three months isn't it???

Good question,I've always known it was 3 months, but yesterday (not old) I have read on the site of Elitevisa where they made comparison of the different visas : money in the bank 2 months before. So any change recently from 3 to 2 months?

Three months isn't it???

Good question,I've always known it was 3 months, but yesterday (not old) I have read on the site of Elitevisa where they made comparison of the different visas : money in the bank 2 months before. So any change recently from 3 to 2 months?

For an extension based upon retirement it is 60 days for the first extension and 3 months for all extensions after that.

For an extension based upon marriage to a Thai it is 2 months for every extension.

Three months isn't it???

For an extension based upon retirement it is 60 days for the first extension and 3 months for all extensions after that.

For an extension based upon marriage to a Thai it is 2 months for every extension.

Most thanks for this clarification, and respect for your dedication for answering every single questions concerning visas and laws thumbsup.gif

Slightly off-topic: A few years ago when applying for retirement extension our bank funds of B800,000 had been in one bank for more than six months. On the day of the application the exchange rate had reduced enough to create a shortfall of B30,000 when the calculation was made.

We were allowed to transfer that B30,000 from a UK bank to make up the shortfall and the application was successful on the same day.

Surely 800,000 baht in a thai bank is 800,000 no matter what the exchange rate does? Am i missing something?

My 800,000 deposited stays the same, obviously plus interests, how can it lose value?

Edited by Ghostnigel
  • Like 1

Slightly off-topic: A few years ago when applying for retirement extension our bank funds of B800,000 had been in one bank for more than six months. On the day of the application the exchange rate had reduced enough to create a shortfall of B30,000 when the calculation was made.

We were allowed to transfer that B30,000 from a UK bank to make up the shortfall and the application was successful on the same day.

I am sorry, in that year, we had B800,000 in pension that we checked against the exchange rate the week before and on the day we were short according to that current exchange rate. Sorry again. Nothing to do with the bank. Gaer liaow! I believe it now.

• Like 1

Three months isn't it???

For an extension based upon marriage to a Thai it is 2 months for every extension maybe in some provinces but Maesot want 3 months unless they've changed it and don't bother to tell me. biggrin.png

Going Maesot in May I'll ask the question as long as it's not too difficult. whistling.gif

For an extension based upon marriage to a Thai it is 2 months for every extension maybe in some provinces but Maesot want 3 months unless they've changed it and don't bother to tell me. biggrin.png

Going Maesot in May I'll ask the question as long as it's not too difficult. whistling.gif

Clause 2.18 of the police order states it is 2 months. Local offices should have no right to change it.

See: Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay or Police Order 327/2557 Thai text.

• Like 1

Is a statement from a Superannuation fund (OZ) showing current balance (>$800K Baht) acceptable for proof of sufficient funds?

Not to apply for an extension of stay at immigration to meet the 800k baht in the bank requirement. It could be used to apply for a OA visa at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney.

Is a statement from a Superannuation fund (OZ) showing current balance (>$800K Baht) acceptable for proof of sufficient funds?

Not to apply for an extension of stay at immigration to meet the 800k baht in the bank requirement. It could be used to apply for a OA visa at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney.

Ubonjoe. Is that correct. Seems I have incorrectly assumed that for an OA the funds needed to be in a bank. Such things as shares and superannuation fund etc would not cut it. I'm surprised. Super fund for example have restrictions and tax obligations on withdrawals.

Ubonjoe. Is that correct. Seems I have incorrectly assumed that for an OA the funds needed to be in a bank. Such things as shares and superannuation fund etc would not cut it. I'm surprised. Super fund for example have restrictions and tax obligations on withdrawals.

Bank is a general term used but that does not mean it can only be in a bank. This is what the DC embassy says.

"6. Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht'

I had thought that may have been the situation for the visa application in Australia.

Once the fund is in the Pension Phase (SMSF at least) there is a minimum draw down requirement, from 65 to 74 this is 5%, then increasing with age. Assuming this exceeds the income requirement of 60k Baht per month, or 720k baht pa, and I could obtain a declaration from the Australian Embassy in Thailand to support that, would this be suffice for extensions?

I had thought that may have been the situation for the visa application in Australia.

Once the fund is in the Pension Phase (SMSF at least) there is a minimum draw down requirement, from 65 to 74 this is 5%, then increasing with age. Assuming this exceeds the income requirement of 60k Baht per month, or 720k baht pa, and I could obtain a declaration from the Australian Embassy in Thailand to support that, would this be suffice for extensions?

65K Bht/month certified income for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by johnatong

You could do a statutory declaration at the Australian embassy to prove your income of 65k baht (not 60k baht). If you were short on the income you could put enough in a Thai bank to bring it up to a total of 800k baht.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Chaeng Wattana today, and no problem with having two accounts, as many here have mentioned, but... unfortunately, although I had a total balance of a little more than 400 000 ฿, I withdrew a few thousand bahts a few weeks ago. I was not aware at that time that you should have no less than 400 000 ฿ over a period of two months.

Dura lex, sed lex, as the officer said.

She asked me if I wanted to exit the country or if I wanted a 60 days extension. I was surprised that I could even get an extension, but I went for this option.

She told me to come back in two months, to get one year.

Another important thing, which I was not aware of: you have to come with your wife (I never read that anywhere). Hopefully, she was here!

60 day extension to visit your Wife.

She has to be with you during application.

When applying for 12 month extension the money has to be in the bank for 2 months.

That has been the rule for a long time.

Edited by Eclipse

Additional questions:

1) I have an Account with Citibank (TH) and no Bank Book. Is a certified Bank Statement also ok as proof?

2) Does it still need to be from 1 day before you go to Immigration Watthana?

3) Certified letter from the bank , the banks knows what to write?

Additional questions:

1) I have an Account with Citibank (TH) and no Bank Book. Is a certified Bank Statement also ok as proof?

2) Does it still need to be from 1 day before you go to Immigration Watthana?

3) Certified letter from the bank , the banks knows what to write?

1. Yes

2. Yes But they also want an updated bank book or statement on the date you apply. They might accept a ATM slip showing the balance.

3. The bank should know what is needed.

Thanks any tipps how to get to Watthana at 6 am but also having a updated Bank Statement when the bank opens at 9 am? biggrin.png

Why do you want to be there at 6 am.

Do you have online banking for your account. I think they would accept a print out of your account balance as long as it showed the date on it.