Is it a problem to have 400 000฿ split in two bank accounts?

Hello everybody,

Going to get a one year extension (non-o) in 15 days at Chaeng Wattana.

I have 400 000฿ split into two different Thai bank accounts. Any problem with this?

Actually, for convenience, I was thinking of gathering the whole money in one single account, but now it's too late if I want to comply with the two month limit.

Thanks

Pablo M.

Three months isn't it???

Since he mentioned Baht 400,000 ... I assume that's meant to be the total he's talking about ... that would be an extension based on marriage. For an extension based on marriage it should be 2 months, in theory, although different offices may require three.

I have my money for retirement extention in 2 different accounts never had a problem

Everyone knows how this works, on any given day or on any visit - your mileage may vary.

I also have money in 2 accounts for my retirement extension and have never been declined

my extension but have met resistance the last 2 times I renewed in Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana),

the most recent time in February 2016.

In 2015 having the money in 2 accounts caused a delay getting the required signatures as the reviewing officer wanted

to get another opinion, result was 2-3 hours wasted. This year, 2016, I was questioned by the officer that does the review

and gives the final signature about my 2 accounts. She signed off, but advised/asked me to combine them for next year.

I have been renewing for 10 years now with 2 accounts, but I will combine them for next year.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

I would add to the report, whatever the rule is.. That a friend of mine had multiple accounts.. one with 400k and due to a slip up, the 400k went to 39x, at a point when the other account still had up to a 100 in it.. in other words he never had less than 400k.

The immigration officer wouldnt take it.. I said afterwards he could perhaps try to redo based on tiny income combo, as I am told this doesnt need the seasoning... But what happened was he fenangled a 60 day family extension, and in that 60 days represented his claim. So ultimately he didnt leave the country, but he didnt get his initial extension granted. Unsure if that was a face saver or what ??

• Like 1

Thanks jacksma reminded me that when I extended stay last time I had prove at the Khon Kaen office that my account was still active, did same deposit 100 Baht and get letter from bank.

They will accept the letter done on say day prior and deposit done on day of application. Seems crazy as the balances do not match but seems no problem.

Slightly off-topic: A few years ago when applying for retirement extension our bank funds of B800,000 had been in one bank for more than six months. On the day of the application the exchange rate had reduced enough to create a shortfall of B30,000 when the calculation was made.

We were allowed to transfer that B30,000 from a UK bank to make up the shortfall and the application was successful on the same day.

I still haven't tried two accounts but have asked three times of immigration officers (over the years) and they have always said: NO PROBLEM.

Of course such things are always subject to change and it is more work for them to determine if the money seasoning requirement has been met with multiple accounts.

Two months is the official rule and should be nationwide

Should be but is not.

I am only aware of a couple of rogue offices that want 3 months. The remainder follow the written rules.

Maesot always been 3 months for over ten years but when renewing I have never bothered to ask.smile.png

This gets very confusing am I right in thinking based on marriage to a Thai it is only 400,000 in the bank for two months but a farang married to a farang has to have 800,000 and it has to be for 3 months please correct me if I am wrong as this year rather than going down the embassy road like I have done every year , I have just placed 1 million baht into a savings account but this will only be a week over two months and as my wife is farang I am thinking that they will insist on a 3 month time scale even though I will be showing some 400,000 in my every day account. This is the time of year I hate because you never know what they are going to try and catch you on !! on a good point I do hear that the Birdman at Samui immigration has retired , not having to face him anymore is a blessing !!!!!!