Harbor Mall. Now that it's open...

NanLaew

I needed to hit an ATM and a bank pretty early last weekend so opted to beat the usual crowd to Central Festival on Beach and have lunch as well. Parking was super easy with loads of spaces and notably less people inside. My airconditioning guy called and said he was coming to the house so I scratched the eating idea and decided to grab some stuff from Foodland on the way home.

Big mistake! Total gridlock from Big C Extra north with 3 lines of traffic queuing for the new mall. Probably some wanted to go up to Sukhumvit and others were up for their weekend Foodland forage but that wasn't going to happen any time soon so I ended up u-turning and beetling off down Yume to get home.

Looked like the new mall had hoovered up all the local 'Bangkok plates' interest. Has anyone from these hallowed pages been inside and can tell if it's all worthwhile? I would drop by during the week but it looks like the weekend is a no-go if you are on 4-wheels. How's the parking BTW?

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked like the new mall had hoovered up all the local 'Bangkok plates' interest.

Says it all. Anyone think the Bangkok people drive 300 km roundtrip to buy something that is available at the plenty of luxury shopping malls right on their doorstep?

A few more weekends and you can play football on each floor without getting in the way of customers

I would not recommend going to any mall in Thailand on the weekend if it can be avoided. As to the new Harbor in Pattaya, I had a look-see the other morning and it seems a nice enough place. The first couple floors are your typical mix of coffee shops (Starbucks, ABP, Coffee World, etc) and restos, with a particular emphasis on Japanese places (but not the big names like Fuji, Zen, Hachiban but more second tier names that I didn't recognize).

There are a couple IT floors, with a Banana IT and Jib outlet and some kids language schools and a gymboree type place. Supposedly, there will be an ice-rink in the future as well. At ground level, there is a 24 hour supermarket. There is a good selection of products, many duplicating nearby Foodland and also some pre-cooked items. This will givd FL some competition but the selection of goods is vastly more varied at Foodland. There is also a Coffee Club on the outside ground level.

One thing I noted was the coffeeshops (SB, ABP,and Coffee Club) all opened early (7a.m. for ABP and CC) so might be a good place for early birds. Also, parking hack if your going to Coffee Club, they have dedicated parking spaces in front of their resto so one can avoid the garage pileup (and pop on over to Foodland without moving the car).

All in all, a useful addition to the Pattaya scene and I'm sure after a couple weeks, when the novelty wears off, even the traffic situation will sort itself out.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I was there on Wednesday and was most impressed, certainly not like Tukcom. Had lunch at Au bon Pain. Most restaurants are on the lower two levels, lots of Thai and Japanese choices besides western. There is large market in the basement operated by the Aeon group. Aeon ATM available in the front of the store. Nice produce section like Tops at Central Festival but other departments I found lacking in choices (no fresh meats, or limited imported items like Villa and Big C Extra). Floors two, three and four(?) had a nice selection of camera, Internet, phone, computer stores, etc.) There is a small IT Center like Tukcom. Upper floors are for kids arcade games, and a Wonderland with an ice skating rink. Many shops are still in the construction phase and it looks like there will eventually be a Fitness Center with size and details unknown. Strangely I didn't see a Macdonald's or Burger King but KFC was there with along with a food court on a much smaller scale than Central Festival.

All the Malls in Pattaya are impossible to get to in a car unless you have the patience of a saint. I only ever go if on my bike. I certainly won't be going to the Habor (sic) Mall again, very ordinary, the same shops in a cramped environment.

Nanlaew, what time of the day was this at ?

Noonish... or the back of it up to 12:30 maybe?

Cool, Thanks. So even worse than normal at that time of the day then.

OP is talking about opening weekend

Oh ok. so now that opening weekend has been and gone there is no additional impact on traffic congestion at all.

Good to hear..... bwahahahahahahahahahaha

All the Malls in Pattaya are impossible to get to in a car unless you have the patience of a saint. I only ever go if on my bike. I certainly won't be going to the Habor (sic) Mall again, very ordinary, the same shops in a cramped environment.

+1

Nothing more to add...

+1

Nothing more to add...

That's not the experience I've had...I drive my car to Central Beach, The Avenue, Central Festival regularly without any problems. Of course,I don't go at noon on Saturdays,Sundays,or Thai holidays.

The parking is secure and free and with the Avenue and Central Beach covered,which keeps the car cool. I would never drive a bike in Thailand for safety reasons (as well as comfort).

I was there on Wednesday and was most impressed, certainly not like Tukcom. Had lunch at Au bon Pain. Most restaurants are on the lower two levels, lots of Thai and Japanese choices besides western. There is large market in the basement operated by the Aeon group. Aeon ATM available in the front of the store. Nice produce section like Tops at Central Festival but other departments I found lacking in choices (no fresh meats, or limited imported items like Villa and Big C Extra). Floors two, three and four(?) had a nice selection of camera, Internet, phone, computer stores, etc.) There is a small IT Center like Tukcom. Upper floors are for kids arcade games, and a Wonderland with an ice skating rink. Many shops are still in the construction phase and it looks like there will eventually be a Fitness Center with size and details unknown. Strangely I didn't see a Macdonald's or Burger King but KFC was there with along with a food court on a much smaller scale than Central Festival.

Did the fitness center potential site look anything like the California WOW site at the Avenue?

That's not the experience I've had...I drive my car to Central Beach, The Avenue, Central Festival regularly without any problems. Of course,I don't go at noon on Saturdays,Sundays,or Thai holidays.

But probablay not from or back to the upper "Darkside" tongue.png

Even a trip on a motorbike is a major pain in the a** and should be avoided if not really, really necessary

However, I don't like the multi storey Pattaya malls in no way, but the Harbor Mall is for sure one of the most boring and needless ones.

I hope, they won't close the old Tukcom...

I would not recommend going to any mall in Thailand on the weekend if it can be avoided. As to the new Harbor in Pattaya, I had a look-see the other morning and it seems a nice enough place. The first couple floors are your typical mix of coffee shops (Starbucks, ABP, Coffee World, etc) and restos, with a particular emphasis on Japanese places (but not the big names like Fuji, Zen, Hachiban but more second tier names that I didn't recognize).

I too noticed the absence of some big restaurants such as Fuji and MK, then the reason came to me. The mall is too narrow to accommodate restaurants like these which need a fair bit of depth for seating space. Shabushi and some other well known brands seemed poorly laid out due to being too narrow and long. I really don't understand why Harbor Mall didn't try to get a wider plot of land to build on.

Harbour Mall offers (me) absolutely nothing new. It looks like Central's poorer, smaller cousin. Good to have the choice though.

To be fair, most malls will have more or less the same shops and restaurants, so I don't expect to see anything new. What it does offer is a different location, which may be more convenient for many shoppers.

If I was living on the darkside or in that area of town I'd go there. As it happens the location is inconvenient for me, so I won't go there much and stick with Central as my go-to mall.smile.png

Having said that, it's a nice enough mall as far as malls go. What should one expect from a shopping mall?

]

Noonish... or the back of it up to 12:30 maybe?

Cool, Thanks. So even worse than normal at that time of the day then.

OP is talking about opening weekend

Oh ok. so now that opening weekend has been and gone there is no additional impact on traffic congestion at all.

Good to hear..... bwahahahahahahahahahaha

I agree... I reckon it will be semi gridlock each weekend leading up to Songkran and then NOBODY is going anywhere for 10 days. Once the newness rubs off and the "Bangkok plate" crowd re-adopt Central Festival then it will be worth checking out.

I too noticed the absence of some big restaurants such as Fuji and MK, then the reason came to me. The mall is too narrow to accommodate restaurants like these which need a fair bit of depth for seating space. Shabushi and some other well known brands seemed poorly laid out due to being too narrow and long. I really don't understand why Harbor Mall didn't try to get a wider plot of land to build on.

The price of land maybe?

Harbour Mall offers (me) absolutely nothing new. It looks like Central's poorer, smaller cousin. Good to have the choice though.

To be fair, most malls will have more or less the same shops and restaurants, so I don't expect to see anything new. What it does offer is a different location, which may be more convenient for many shoppers.

If I was living on the darkside or in that area of town I'd go there. As it happens the location is inconvenient for me, so I won't go there much and stick with Central as my go-to mall.smile.png

Having said that, it's a nice enough mall as far as malls go. What should one expect from a shopping mall?

Good observations thanks. That what I was looking for. Looks like it is just somewhere else to kill some time in God's Waiting Room... like the row of benches between HomePro and Big C at Big C Extra on Klang around 10 AM.

The price of land maybe?

LOL. Of course, but pay more for land, make a better mall i.e. a bit wider. What costs more - going higher or buying more land for wider? Sure there's other considerations - location.

Good observations thanks. That what I was looking for. Looks like it is just somewhere else to kill some time in God's Waiting Room... like the row of benches between HomePro and Big C at Big C Extra on Klang around 10 AM.

There is one major disadvantage for shoppers like me though. The supermarket doesn't hold a candle to Tops at Central, was very disappointing with a very limited selection of all that yummy, expensive, imported junk.biggrin.png Maybe they will improve with time. Of course, with Foodland next door I don't think too many foreigners will be spending a lot there.

Yes it is a long narrow land plot they had to work with. The one major Japanese branded resto they do have is an outlet of Shabushi by Oishi buffet place.

There is one major disadvantage for shoppers like me though. The supermarket doesn't hold a candle to Tops at Central, was very disappointing with a very limited selection of all that yummy, expensive, imported junk.biggrin.png Maybe they will improve with time. Of course, with Foodland next door I don't think too many foreigners will be spending a lot there.

The name say it all...it's "Value Max" I believe. Their target is the more value oriented Thai and foreign shopper and so they have a very limited selection of imported stuff. For those things, one still has to make the rounds of Villa, Gourmet Market, and Foodland. However, it's nice having a cluster of two supermarkets right next to each other (and three very close with Big C Extra just down the block). The addition of at least four coffee shops as well is a nice convience factor as well.