52 people killed and 431 injured on first day of Songkran festival on Monday

webfact

Great way to try to keep the population down ,,,Keep on keep on driving like Idiots ,,,You will get Dead,,,thumbsup.gif

Yes Thais don't need terrorism they are doing a preety good job at killing themselves!

That's how every year we are second most dangerous roads in the world !

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed limit all cars in Thailand to 80 or 100km an hour.

Worked on all mine sites I worked at in reducing accidents.

and who will enforce it and when?rolleyes.gif

Most cars come with a built in speed limiter these days; the cruise control will, if chipped, inhibit speeds above a set point. Pretty standard stuff for trucks in Europe.

how is anyone surprised by these figures is the real shocker.

- No one knows how to drive, no proper driving license test, one friend sent her sister to pass her test, the other one just bribed the examinator.

- Mai pen rai attitude; Who cares about speeding limit / drunk driving / no seatbelts / etc? If you die you die, Mai pen rai.

There we go again, despite all the government and the police efforts to minimize the carnage on the roads

the first 52 dead in a day that not even a proper holiday time, one can only sigh in despair and sorrow......

I agree and wonder sometimes, what is it with the Thai people that make them so reluctant to wear a helmet?

The fines are pretty steep, road blocks very common and yet they donot care and carry on drving without one most of the time.

Many times I have seen Thais wearing one only just before the police checkpoint and then removing it directly after.

Since 75% of all fatal road accidents are motorbikes/scooters, not just during Sonkran only, and more than half of these because no crash helmet was used, I would like to know what would it take to make them wear one like everybody does in Europe, for example?

There we go again, despite all the government and the police efforts to minimize the carnage on the roads the first 52 dead in a day that not even a proper holiday time, one can only sigh in despair and sorrow......

Actually, according to WHO, the average fatality rate is around 65 people per day. So even though 52 is still tragic, it is a significant reduction from what it would otherwise have been, especially during a time when it would normally be a lot higher. So kudos to the government and traffic police for at least beginning to make an impact!

clap2.gif

Thailand is still one of the highest in the world (360 fatalities p.a. per million people), but I was surprised to see that it's fairly high in the US also (100 fatalities per million). European countries tend to be reasonably low at only around 30-50 deaths per million.

Actually, according to the WHO, it is half that, approx. 32-34 a day and second highest in the world indeed, but the number of 52 is indeed extremely tragic.

Check your sources or buy a new calculator, trust me.

There we go again, despite all the government and the police efforts to minimize the carnage on the roads the first 52 dead in a day that not even a proper holiday time, one can only sigh in despair and sorrow......

Actually, according to WHO, the average fatality rate is around 65 people per day. So even though 52 is still tragic, it is a significant reduction from what it would otherwise have been, especially during a time when it would normally be a lot higher. So kudos to the government and traffic police for at least beginning to make an impact!

clap2.gif

Thailand is still one of the highest in the world (360 fatalities p.a. per million people), but I was surprised to see that it's fairly high in the US also (100 fatalities per million). European countries tend to be reasonably low at only around 30-50 deaths per million.

That's just the died at the scene number.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter who says it, what campaign is launched, even his nibbs could go on air and say behave yourself, the Thais will never listen nor learn. It comes down to 2 thiongs.

1. They are appaling drivers all year round. By fast the worst I've ever seen. Mix impatience, inconsideration, no respect for laws and add complete stupidity to the mix and this is what you see every day on every road in this country. Add more booze and more need to hurry to the mix as well as the higher volume of social media activity on offer on mobile phones and surprise surprise....52 (probably more) dead in a day.

2. Most don't seem to give a toss about living or dying. I can't believe it myself but it's the only conclusion I can find. Everyday reports, footage and awful car accidents are shown on the news. By average, every Thai must know or have at least 1 family member killed in a car crash as the result of speeding, drinking or damn right stupidity. YET, they continue to speed, drink and do stupid things.

I wonder if a serial Japanese white car theft was on the loose in their villages would they take extra care at night. I'm pretty sure they would so why not learn from this?

I stay in and wait for it all to finish before I go anywhere near the town I live in. I'd like to go and visit people and enjoy the holiday but i can wait a week. I just don't get why people would put their lives on the line for one of the most ridiculous and dangerous celebrations the world has to offer.

Going to ride my motorcycle 3KMs to the beach for some sunset cocktails in about 20 minutes, will ride home at 7:30 the 3KMs and then tomorrow I will not ride anywhere.

Booze and cars, booze and bikes, booze and this heat (!), no thanks,

But anyway you gonna get boozed up on some cocktails, then ride home on your motorbike.

Oh I understand, it are only the " others".

did not think drunk driving violations here were actually enforced

certainly dont see people getting pulled over in cm for this, or ever at all

maybe only on holidays at checkpoints, so what do you expect!

- No one knows how to drive, no proper driving license test, one friend sent her sister to pass her test, the other one just bribed the examinator.

- Mai pen rai attitude; Who cares about speeding limit / drunk driving / no seatbelts / etc? If you die you die, Mai pen rai.

"A WHO expert in Bangkok urged Thailand to abandon its obsession with seasonal surges and focus on reducing fatalities all year round. There is another "Seven Dangerous Days" during Buddhist New Year in April.

"It's actually 365 dangerous days in Thailand," said Liviu Vedrasco, a technical officer who advises the health ministry on road safety and other issues.

Enforcement of laws mandating the use of seat belts and crash helmets is weak while drunk or careless driving is common, as are crashes involving mass fatalities."

If only the thought could be told I I guarantee you that 70% of all deaths are related to drunk falangs . But that would never be disclosed not to upset The tourist trade and to make us look like idiots..... But we have long ago lost our face with Thais

I think perhaps you lost your marbles as well as your face

did not think drunk driving violations here were actually enforced

certainly dont see people getting pulled over in cm for this, or ever at all

maybe only on holidays at checkpoints, so what do you expect!

Exactly, like everything it's press communication.

2. Most don't seem to give a toss about living or dying. I can't believe it myself but it's the only conclusion I can find. Everyday reports, footage and awful car accidents are shown on the news. By average, every Thai must know or have at least 1 family member killed in a car crash as the result of speeding, drinking or damn right stupidity. YET, they continue to speed, drink and do stupid things.

Thais are very superstitious; as long as they have their flower talisman, bought at the traffic lights, they will have the spirits to protect them, so no matter how they drive their fate is in the hands of the spirits.

A general lack of common sense doesn't help!

The only reason why Thailand officials do these road safety campaigns twice a year is to deflect from everyday driving in Thailand. These numbers reflect a typical day in thailand...

So when i read remarks like "the carnage begins..." tells me the campaign is working...

A complete joke on traffic management and enforcement in LOS and every year reveals the same statistics and the same ignorant strategies......

What they they try a different approach? (though the answer might be they don't want to due to operating costs)

does not matter much, reincarnation

There we go again, despite all the government and the police efforts to minimize the carnage on the roads

the first 52 dead in a day that not even a proper holiday time, one can only sigh in despair and sorrow......

Many thai people including wife say it was fine 20 years ago, but now it is insane,I will be staying home tomorrow, many of my friends do the same.

Its time the man who seeks attitude ajustment and yells at his critics takes note.

Maybe he should take a tour of the morgues with his selfie cam, then build an attitude adjustment centre big enough for the entire population.

Maybe get his friend to write new rules for songkran like banning water pump guns and vehicles from carrying / spraying water on bikes -- killing some in the process.

Shorten water splashing to one day , confiscate drunken drivers vehicles for good.

Introduce the death penalty for causing someones death by knocking them off their bikes.

Ok have your holiday and visit friends from wednesday to sunday, but keep the water down to one day, put thousands of cops on the rds and enforce the lunatics that cant wait 2 seconds to get past the car in front.

Every Songkran I feel for the poor people that will loose loved ones over this event as it is out of control.wai.gifwai2.gif

"A WHO expert in Bangkok urged Thailand to abandon its obsession with seasonal surges and focus on reducing fatalities all year round. There is another "Seven Dangerous Days" during Buddhist New Year in April.

"It's actually 365 dangerous days in Thailand," said Liviu Vedrasco, a technical officer who advises the health ministry on road safety and other issues.

Enforcement of laws mandating the use of seat belts and crash helmets is weak while drunk or careless driving is common, as are crashes involving mass fatalities."

The WHO expert has let the situation getting worse for years and has done nothing to educate people.

It's called the ''create a problem to bring the solution'

We let people drive with no driving skills or awareness of road safety, let the situation deteriorate, then bring on the solution which usually involves repression cutting people's rights and freedom etc..

Speed limit all cars in Thailand to 80 or 100km an hour.

Worked on all mine sites I worked at in reducing accidents.

Must be an Aussie!......Thailand....and for that matter, most places in the world, is/are not a mine site...........traffic just cannot travel at 40kmh and there are no 200t dump trucks sharing the roads!

Edited by ChrisY1

Wasnt Day 1 last year was like 25 deaths ?

seems the new campaigns to reduce the toll are working well !!!

Was last years count started 2 days before the holiday as it seems to be this year?

I know yesterday we had a full working day and the reason the guys & gals had today off was because they worked on the 6th.

And the company i work for are good with holidays....................wink.png

I have always maintained that if the government want to release figures of death to have the population living in awe instead of being proactive in preventing accidents and deaths on the roads of Thailand, the very least they should be doing is using the same source of information for their statistics of these deaths & injuries. Daily average v main holiday events. Otherwise the figures mean nothing to those not personally involved.

Edited by chrisinth

The figure I find amazing is not the headline 'deaths' but the number of people who had no driving license. 25,651 !!!!

Given that figure is for roadblocks how many in Thailand altogether are driving without a license?. Staggering

Not just Thai's

"Chiang Mai topped the highest incidence of road accidents with 19 accidents"

Monday afternoon I left work early, around 1:30PM, to get my locked in the house supplies. Traffic on Hang Dong road had very long queues of cars and slow moving. I saw two auto rear enders in the space of 1-2 kms so wonder about that number. smile.png

I had to run into Chiang Mai to pick up a repair at about 2:00 and then back 8 cks back, down Hangdong Road. I am on a PCX-150. I have been here a few years, and I have never witnessed group pathology like the drivers on the road. It was like everyone took a pill that both increased aggressive behavior and gave people permission to behave that way.

I think you do not know the difference between figure of speech and sarcasm.

A good start!

Really? is that what you take from the death of 52 people, a good start? will it be better

for you with 500 dead?

A good start is a figure of speech, with exactly the opposite meaning.

OK lets call it a sarcastic figure of speech...smile.png

...good taste or not in this situation is another question!whistling.gif

A good start!

Really? is that what you take from the death of 52 people, a good start? will it be better

for you with 500 dead?

if you don't understand the irony here, then I am quite sure you must be Asian

Why racist remark, and why is good start!!!!

Edited by jeab1980

....Canada has half the population.....

...on any given day....at half the amount.....26 deaths....and 216 injuries......would prompt a national emergency.....

...and no...that does not make me a racist.......

If only the thought could be told I I guarantee you that 70% of all deaths are related to drunk falangs . But that would never be disclosed not to upset The tourist trade and to make us look like idiots..... But we have long ago lost our face with Thais

Can you provide a link to back up this claim that 70% of all deaths are due to "drunk Farang" ?