Local Internet Banking Experiences

Can any TV members please share their opinions / experiences about Thai bank internet banking.

Particularly interested in any opinions / comments re: K Bank, BBL, and Krueng Thai banks.

A few specific questions:

- To start internet banking did any TV members get local branch to set it up on notebook etc?

- To start is it necessary to visit local branch and get a/c no, password etc?

- Any comments about security.

- My understanding is that an individual person can set up one internet banking facility but can control several savings accounts (same bank) through the one internet banking account. Is this true / complex, etc?

- One bank told me internet banking cannot initially be set up for a joint savings a/c (this is regardless of both need to sign withdrawal or just one person can sign). Any comments on this aspect appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Local branch can not approve application (at least not for Bangkok Bank) so password is mailed later.

2. You need a local account and then apply for internet banking at your local branch. For BBL only Hqs can approve and issue password.

3. Security seem fine for BBL - they often caution to to believe emails or other things and avoid virus - they always email when you log in and have SMS alerts available for usage.

4. Yes - have not done so do not know how hard but seems to be easy to have more than one account.

5. Mine is set up for a joint account with wife - I was told it could not be set up for foreigner - when I said I knew better was told it could not be set up for non work permit holder - when I said that was also false they offered to set it up in wife's name and I allowed that 'out' but they had us both fill out forms and hqs actually set it up in my name. Only believe half of what you are told.

At least for the first request you would need to visit the branch where your account is located.

Personally with Bangkok Bank (for over 20 years) have US, Euros and Thai Baths accounts, located both

in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and I can access on all the accounts through the same internet banking page,

it is worth mentioning that some accounts are joint accounts and some are checkbook accounts.

You can transfer between accounts and/or to third party accounts, provided you've set them to do so.

No major problem worth mentioning, though all the process took some time to setup as there was

some FC accounts and credit cards accounts, but once all was accepted all ran smoothly.

- To start internet banking did any TV members get local branch to set it up on notebook etc?

There's nothing to set up: it's a website. You go to the website, log in with your username and password, and then do whatever it is you need to do.

For payments or modifications most Thai banks seem to use some sort of secondary password procedure that involves you getting a one-time-passcode via SMS on your phone which you enter in the correct box on the website. This also requires no special setting up, apart from telling them your phone number. I think this is quite a good system.

i am with krung thai and got told in no uncertain terms that a farang CAN NOT have internet banking.

got onto their website, took a bit of work but all works well for months now. transfers from overseas, transfers to other thai accounts - piece of cake.

just another classic thai experience where everyone who does not have a clue simply states it can't be done.

ever heard: many roads lead to rome? applies for everything here in the kingdom. one way is blocked, try the next. persistence succeeds.

Mine took a bit of effort to set up (BB) at myl branch, initially they said I wasn't eligible for ibanking because I was a tourist. So, we went through Non-O Visa gymnastics same as when I went to open my account.

I waited 1 month for the password to come in the post, never did, so went back to the bank and did the process all over again. Successful the second time around, good to go.

There was a little bit of flip flopping about adding a new joint account onto my existing Ibanking login, but it worked out as well.

Also have internet banking with KrungSi. I prefer BB layout and interface but both get the job done. No issues.

BBL: submitted application at local branch and received password via mail. I can access all my BBL accounts from the same login. Easy initial setup.

K-Bank: had to make application at the bank and they helped setup (long time ago.) Constant lock outs caused me me to stop using this one.

LH Bank: Applied at a branch and got immediate access. Setup easy and can access all accounts.

TMB: Applied at branch and got immediate access. Can access all accounts. I only use the full internet site and can not say anything about the app.

Use mobile apps also with most banks.

1. Local branch can not approve application (at least not for Bangkok Bank) so password is mailed later.

2. You need a local account and then apply for internet banking at your local branch. For BBL only Hqs can approve and issue password.

3. Security seem fine for BBL - they often caution to to believe emails or other things and avoid virus - they always email when you log in and have SMS alerts available for usage.

4. Yes - have not done so do not know how hard but seems to be easy to have more than one account.

5. Mine is set up for a joint account with wife - I was told it could not be set up for foreigner - when I said I knew better was told it could not be set up for non work permit holder - when I said that was also false they offered to set it up in wife's name and I allowed that 'out' but they had us both fill out forms and hqs actually set it up in my name. Only believe half of what you are told.

I think things have changed at Bangkok bank since you did it. First account I set up after opening the account I just walked up to an ATM machine with my new card and got the temporary login password. Then went online to the online banking site and set it all up using the temporary password.

After seating up on line banking for one account I only needed my bank book and account number to setup my other accounts for online banking.

Not sure about joint accounts. Don't have one now after finding them to be a pain in the past but that was years ago. First one no ATM card (BBL) and the next one only one card with no debit ability or online banking (SBC) which are now closed. Wife has her own account now that I use online banking to move funds to hera from mine.

I have had no problems with online banking or using the mobile app. Security is not a problem with emails coming when login is done and transfers made. A OTP is needed for about any change you do for transfers or payments.

Both BB and K-Bank internet access can be done at ATM with your card. Somewhere under other services. Type in your mobile number and they send you SMS with password. Your account number is user id until you setup your after first login.

I like BB better since you don't have SMS-OTP for every transaction like K-Bank does.

TH

I think things have changed at Bangkok bank since you did it. First account I set up after opening the account I just walked up to an ATM machine with my new card and got the temporary login password. Then went online to the online banking site and set it all up using the temporary password.

After seating up on line banking for one account I only needed my bank book and account number to setup my other accounts for online banking.

Not sure about joint accounts. Don't have one now after finding them to be a pain in the past but that was years ago. First one no ATM card (BBL) and the next one only one card with no debit ability or online banking (SBC) which are now closed. Wife has her own account now that I use online banking to move funds to hera from mine.

I have had no problems with online banking or using the mobile app. Security is not a problem with emails coming when login is done and transfers made. A OTP is needed for about any change you do for transfers or payments.

That is the key - joint accounts can not be set up by ATM.

Yea, if your account is a "joint" account, you can not apply for Bangkok Bank ibanking via website or ATM....gotta go to the branch. See below weblink/snapshot with emphasis on the Notes. A joint account also don't have access to all the SMS services a single owner account can have...but that's a different subject. Just some different banking rules/regulations regarding joint and single owner accounts.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/pages/default.aspx

post-55970-0-69297900-1460614943_thumb.j

Thanks, lots of good information. Not surprised by your comments about 'foreigners' etc.

1. Friend recently went to BBl branch away from home to make a payment on his BBL credit card, held for 20+ years. Staff said now only one way to make a payment on BBL cc at any branch - have to take a cash advance then use that csah to make a payment.

Friend said 'But what if my card is already full, how can I take a cash advance'. Answer 'up to you'

2. Took acquaintence to CM branch of BBl, he wanted to open a basic savings account, has WP etc. Staff put application form in front of the applicant in Thai language with the usual - no details on the form but 'sign here'. He asked for application form in English, response - by Thai law banks and government offices in Thailand are not allowed to have documents with English language . Applicant asked for the HO help line number. 'Don't have it.' So I found it on my smartphone.

Farang calls HO, puts the call on speaker phone, asks HO staff if BBL has forms in English. Response, 'yes of course, available at every branch'. Farang attempts to give the phone to the CM branch lady but she refuses to take the call and insists they don't have English language forms because it's against the law.

Farang rips up the Thai language form and puts the pieces of ripped paper in his pocket and asks me 'Is there a Krung Thai branch near here?' I respond 'yes, 5 minutes walk from here.'

We stand up, manager now on the scene, he says 'yes we have the forms in English.' We walk out, BBL officer now being scolded by the manager.

We go to Krung Thai, all done in 5 minutes, documents all in English, WP not needed, pleasant helpful staff.

Anybody got any comments re K Bank, please?

When I applied for K Bank Internet Access I had to go into a branch, that was some years ago though.

Seems now you apply via an ATM kasikornbank/ServicesChannel/Internet/RegisteronATM

A new question.

Can you use K Bank (or any bank) internet banking to make payment on credit cards from other banks .e.g. K bank to pay BBL credit card?

On the Bangkok Bank ibanking I see you can make payment to bills issued by AEON, Amercian Express, Central, various KrungThai, and Tesco cards. You can also make payment to another person's Bangkok Bank card and of course your Bangkok Bank card.

Like most "bill payment" options (not to be confused with funds transfers which can also pay bills) it depends on whether the payment bank and biller setup a Bill Pay payment relationship.

I avoid Bangkok Bank due to very bad experiences many years ago. I like K-Bank because they fill in all forms for me. That's what happened when I applied for the online banking. Why faff around at an ATM machine when you can go to your branch and just sign on the dotted line. I've never had any problem with K-Bank's online banking or the mobile app.

I use it for topping up my mobile, transferring funds to other accounts, paying credit cards, and the K-Web virtual shopping card. Other cards you can pay off are Amex, Citibank, Diners Club, KTC, Krungsri and Standard Chartered bank.

I believe you can add your fixed deposit accounts to the menu but I have never done it. Security-wise, it requires a username and password to access the website and it sends you an OTP for just about every action.

I recently joined Thanachart i-Net banking, again at the local branch, where the manager did the final steps with me as if I was the first person ever to apply at the branch. Everything was set up when I got home. I just had to change the username (which came in an email) and pincode. Access is via a username and a 6-digit pincode that you click on a little widget. It also uses OTPs. All your accounts are shown, but you can only view the fixed deposit accounts, you can't do any transactions with them. There is no mobile app.

Archived