new Thai restaurant worth patronising

new2cm1

My wife and I have spent considerable time at Varee school enrolling our daughter for the upcoming term. Well between the entrance to Varee school (on mahidol road) and the exit (across from the Esso station) is an absolutely wonderful new Thai restaurant. It's in the same parking lot as an existing restaurant. The building is round filled with antiques and unusual decorations. The staff and owner are polite and attentive to our needs and the food was perfect. Everything that we ate was superb and the fresh fruit drinks were interesting and tasty as well. They have a number of banners on the road but you easily drive past it unless you slow down and look for the entrance

I'm not familiar with the esso station is this the same side as varee near the b2 hotel? sounds like its worth checking out. do they have quite a large menu range?

thanks

It's on the same side as Varee school on Mahidol road. Literally between the entrance to the school and the exit from the school. Directly across the street on the side of the road heading to Sankapank is an Esso station.

We went back a second time at 2 in the afternoon and it about 80-90% full.

Thanks for the tip. Will be in at lunchtime to say in a very slow voice; "This.... Thai... food.... is... really....good." Will that be patronizing enough? Or should I go for broke?

their English is very good, no need to speak slowly

I'm not familiar with the esso station is this the same side as varee near the b2 hotel? sounds like its worth checking out. do they have quite a large menu range?

thanks

It's on the same side as Varee school on Mahidol road. Literally between the entrance to the school and the exit from the school. Directly across the street on the side of the road heading to Sankapank is an Esso station.

We went back a second time at 2 in the afternoon and it about 80-90% full.

ok got you. so after the b2 hotel on the left as thats before the school entrance situated on the main road.

any idea of approx opening hours. i will be sure to pop by when I'm back in town in May.

Ok, this topic once again reminded me to disregard Thaivisa restaurant recommendations and especially when they're about Thai food.

Checked out the place, but it was one of those times we walked out without even ordering. (Which I don't like to do, but the Mrs. was really like 'What the F...' and then it's a lot better for everyone to just leave.)

It's very close to the main highway so it's noisy, and it's incredibly hot this season; no aircon.

Which would be okay if the price level reflected that, but it doesn't. It's not a case of 'a bit more expensive than your typical 'taam sang' place, it's high even compared with proper aircon restaurants. (E.g. basic 'over rice' dishes at 90 Baht).

Again, I'd pay that if it was a bit more up-scale, nicer location, and not hot like an oven; we'd end up over 600 baht including drinks for a simple lunch in a road-side non-aircon place for the family and if I'm paying then then there's a LOT more to choose from in Chiang Mai, right downtown.

So I guess I'll never know if the food would be surprisingly good, but really there's no shortage of places that are either more comfortable, or much lower in price.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

More adequate directions please?

What do you expect, GPS coordinates? The restaurant is not far from the 711. To find it turn left on the soi, then turn right after the third barking dog.

Edited by suzannegoh

What do you expect, GPS coordinates? The restaurant is not far from the 711. To find it turn left on the soi, then turn right after the third barking dog.

Well, I won't be going again, but on the topic of giving directions: heck yes. GPS coordinates or Google Maps link saves a whole lot of confusion and chatter. ( It's here: https://goo.gl/aqOSKc )

Well, I won't be going again, but on the topic of giving directions: heck yes. GPS coordinates or Google Maps link saves a whole lot of confusion and chatter. ( It's here: https://goo.gl/aqOSKc )

Some science fiction writers predict that one day even portable telephones will have GPS enabled mapping but personally I find that farfetched.

A Thai restaurant in Thailand ! Gotta try it

How about a northern Thai restaurant with roots in US? Khaosoi Inthanon at Kad Farang opened about 3 months ago and is not only quiet, aircond, but has tasty authentic dishes priced from 99 Bt (kanom jin) with trimmings. It's towards the back near the foodcourt, a block away from Rimping. Well worth a visit!

i will be sure to pop by when I'm back in town in May.

That's a bit optimistic, new restaurants in Thailand rarely last 6 months.

I think not, that place has been there for at least 6 years! Personally, I have always quite liked the place.

100 bht for a small bowl of microwaved food and a water.

Meat tough from nuking and sauce clumpy.

For double the price and not nearly as good of the same dish on the street at least a bit of service would be nice.

The whole staff was hiding under the counter playing on their phones and I didnt see them until the second time I got up to try to order

3/10 only because I'm a generous guy

Edited by junglechef